• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Solune said:
Fate/Zero
Needs more Caster.
TpIQN.png

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
1) Boourns. I suppose I really should do LoveCom before starting another shoujo though.
2) I'm assuming that's the standard for Asian TV!

Meteor Garden (Liu Xing Hua Yuan) 流星花園 was the first drama produced by something called "idol theater" 偶像劇場 which was some kind of initiative by some Taiwanese channel to produce idol based dramas. The target was young people and their budgets were teeny. Its a shame that Meteor Garden became such a massive hit that the entire industry thought that was a good idea and started copying it with some very terrible results.

So, really, all the crappy Taiwanese live action you're watching can be traced back to HYD.

cajunator

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
No Longer Human is a dangerous narrative for someone who isn't psychologically healthy, I think. If I was seriously depressed, I could see myself going out and attempting suicide after watching this.

That always happens with compilations. Memories, for instance. The first segment is a masterpiece, while the latter two are still good in their own ways but nowhere near the same level. Still, I have a special fondness for them. Compilations have been particularly fertile ground for imaginative and unique animation.
This reminds me that I still need to buy that dvd sometime. Its hard to find though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kettch said:
If only they had copied the main character from Code Geass it might've ended up pretty decent. No idea why they decided to go with the generic, whiny anime hero. That kills so many shows for me.
It's a show about a super powered kid with aspergers!

I'm enjoying the show, but I haven't watched an anime in a few years. It's rife with tropes, but if I didn't want stupid action anime tropes, I wouldn't watch anime!

I don't think the show is PATHETICALLY written, but it's definitely suckling upon the teet of the well trodden. I'm hoping things pick up after episode 3. I tend to give things the benefit of the doubt if the premise is interesting enough, and I'll probably watch a few more episode until I make a real decision.

At least the end of episode 3 proved that his naive ways bit him in the ass, instead of everything working out.

InfiniteNine said:
Needs more Caster.
TpIQN.png
Wow. That is fucking creepy.

zeroshiki

If the story was moving towards tearing Shu and his ideals of love hope and justice down and rebuilding him into a more Lelouch-like character, that'd be great. Sadly, I don't think the writers have the chops (or the desire) to go in this direction.

duckroll

I just want more wheelchair moe. Is that too much to ask for? We should start a class action lawsuit against the creators of Guilty Crown for false advertising honestly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
InfiniteNine said:
Just because she's hitting on a girl doesn't make her creepy.
What would lead you to believe I knew she was hitting on a girl?

Also, "It's like we're newlyweds" is a pretty creepy way to hit on someone.

zeroshiki said:
If the story was moving towards tearing Shu and his ideals of love hope and justice down and rebuilding him into a more Lelouch-like character, that'd be great. Sadly, I don't think the writers have the chops (or the desire) to go in this direction.
How long is the series? I'm willing to stay with it if we see him change as a character. Most anime don't have the character ever grow or change at all, so I'm willing to hope that he'll actually grow.

But hey, how many anime can say their protagonist has crippling aspergers?

(hmm...probably a lot)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
thetrin said:
What would lead you to believe I knew she was hitting on a girl?

Also, "It's like we're newlyweds" is a pretty creepy way to hit on someone.
She's pretty affectionate and I'm sure it's a clue to who she is. Her values seem to be in building a strong loyal bond with the person she loves and aiming to please. Don't think I'm too well versed in wherever she may hail from considering I have no idea who she might be.

zeroshiki

thetrin said:
How long is the series? I'm willing to stay with it if we see him change as a character. Most anime don't have the character ever grow or change at all, so I'm willing to hope that he'll actually grow.

But hey, how many anime can say their protagonist has crippling aspergers?

(hmm...probably a lot)

Its most likely 22 episodes. 2 noitamina seasons.

thetrin

duckroll said:
I just want more wheelchair moe. Is that too much to ask for? We should start a class action lawsuit against the creators of Guilty Crown for false advertising honestly.

I will agree with you there. I think the show has a lot of potential. Whether or not they will act on that potential is debatable (and they might not), but the show doesn't have the worst set up. The first three episodes were pretty decent.

It's nice to see a guy with idealistic views get served up to his enemies on a silver platter. I'd like to see that be a turning point for him.

InfiniteNine said:
She's pretty affectionate and I'm sure it's a clue to who she is. Her values seem to be in building a strong loyal bond with the person she loves and aiming to please. Don't think I'm too well versed in wherever she may hail from considering I have no idea who she might be.

Yeah, usually when a girl is aiming to please, and says something like "We're like newlyweds!" it's a good indicator that you should run fast and run far. Especially when she's meant to be a servant, as is the case with Caster. BOUNDARIES~~~

zeroshiki said:
Its most likely 22 episodes. 2 noitamina seasons.
Plenty of time for Shu to overcome his crippling social anxiety. They seem to spend an inordinate amount of time highlighting that he sucks at social interaction. Maybe this newfound ability will be the gateway to not being a total social retard.

Maybe I'm being a little too hopeful, but there are so many things I like about the show, that I want it to not be stupid.

zeroshiki

thetrin said:
I will agree with you there. I think the show has a lot of potential. Whether or not they will act on that potential is debatable (and they might not), but the show doesn't have the worst set up. The first three episodes were pretty decent.

It's nice to see a guy with idealistic views get served up to his enemies on a silver platter. I'd like to see that be a turning point for him.

Since this is an anime, there is a 90% chance that he gets an asspull save and then goes back to being his usual whiny self. I mean, I'd love it if he changes but I somehow doubt that.

I don't mind, I just hope its entertaining.

thetrin

zeroshiki said:
Since this is an anime, there is a 90% chance that he gets an asspull save and then goes back to being his usual whiny self. I mean, I'd love it if he changes but I somehow doubt that.

I don't mind, I just hope its entertaining.
Yeah, I'm hoping that isn't the case, but you're right, he will probably never change throughout the series.

A man can dream, though.

zeroshiki

thetrin said:
Yeah, I'm hoping that isn't the case, but you're right, he will probably never change throughout the series.

A man can dream, though.

They have a good opening for it, as you said. Now the director and writer just need to walk through the door.

Lafiel said:
But it is already stupid.

Oh shush. Adults are talking.

mAcOdIn

thetrin said:
A man can dream, though.
A boy dreams, a man does.
Dance In My Blood said:
They find a small child and don't immediately call the cops?
Eh, I wouldn't call the cops immediately either to be honest. I mean, if there's a chance you can find the parents without getting police involved and possible charges brought against the parents, because lets face it sometimes police are dicks, I'd try that route first.

Of course no one asking previously if the kid knew her parent's number was crazy but then the span of time in the show was unclear, was it an entire work shift which would be crazy or was it 20 minutes or some shit? Anyways, as said, working never really followed any true laws of logic.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Gintama S1

OMG why no one told me about this earlier.... I was not going to watch since it is super long and unfinish. I haven't laugh this much since Crayon Little Shin anime 10 years ago.

scy said:
Harems live and die by the cast, though; up to this episode, I'd agree since the three girls present so far (and that's some rather tenuous work to even try to count Shiraume) were pretty much uninteresting as far as haremites are concerned. I quite like Shaga so any harem/romance moments out of that is fine by me. Wincest be damned.
Shaga may be somewhat amusing to watch, but some of her her actions make her someone that definitely isn't going to be high on my list... first, most obviously, there's the incest element. And also, the way she treats Oshiroi isn't nice either... that's not something that's going to make me like her more as a character, even if it is amusing to watch.

Though, I do agree that Ben-To's stronger suit is the moments of action so anything taking that precious time away has to be extraordinary to be worth it. But ... I came into this expecting HNNNNGH moments and now I'm satisfied; I hope to not see a full episode like the first half of this, sure, but it's not like it'll overall detract from the episode for me.
The first half of this episode was really not that good, far, far too much harem antics... :(

Also, I have no idea what Majikoi is so, hell, I'll give it a shot later.
It's a decent show, if you like action harem animes. Give it a try.

hosannainexcelsis said:
The incinerator scene in episode 3 is one of my favorite scenes in the show so far, and the
lesbian
scene in episode 4 is pretty good too, so I can't agree with you that the action has been the only good part of the show so far. It's pushing the characters to the right level of insanity that makes this show work.
The incinerator scene was pretty funny, but that scene in ep. 4, as I said, wasn't.

I also didn't get that same sense of insanity from ep. 4 that I had before, excepting the action parts; the harem parts with the MC and his cousin were more about her than about the crazy. I mean, sure, she's kind of crazy of course, they all are, but not in the same way that the previous two episodes were (there was far more of it, and it was worse), and Shiraume upping her actions in this episode didn't help either. I don't want to attack it TOO much, it was an okay episode, but it was somewhat disappointing, and the weakest episode so far I think. That kind of thing isn't what's good about this show.

Certainly Ben-To could go south if they start focusing too much on harem shit, but the episode that's been the worst in that regard so far is episode 1. It spent most of its time setting up three bland harem-ish personalities and, since the real fighting and the introduction to the Wolf Code of Honor didn't start until episode 2, the action part wasn't really present to make things exciting in any way.
Episode 1 is setup though, getting the MC into this situation... I think ep. 4 is definitely the worst so far, as far as harem antics are concerned.

mAcOdIn said:
Man, I can't believe that the blond girl got her own OP.

That said I also think this has been the weakest episode of the 4.
Hah, so we agree! That's somewhat uncommon, but not unwelcome... :)

I don't care about the incest, cousins marry all the time and we don't even know close of cousins they really are, if they're first cousins, ok, maybe a little creepy, but like 4th or some shit, who cares?
I assume that they're first cousins, that's usually what's meant with the word I think, but it is true they don't say... the point though is that they're close relatives, and no, close cousins don't marry "all the time". Not in this, or the last, century, anyway.

No, they went overboard with the abusive lesbian girl, I mean, seriously, did she drag her all the way home or was that facility in the school?
I assume she dragged her all the way home... but yeah, that went way too far.

The main fight was ok and there are some progressions here, we learn about the club never going for the same meals, in fact I think this is the first time we've seen the Ice Witch and Saito hunt together, we see there's some ridiculous third party secret organization, who knows what ridiculous shit they're up to, Saito has a good fight but the focus was just off. Too much on the cousin and lesbo girl not enough on fighting and food.
Entirely agreed here.

But what I think is really missing is the club. Where is the damn club? So far it's been nothing but the weirdo imaginative girl just following Saito around as he fights alone. Isn't she supposed to be training them or some shit? We see Saito progress but yet we don't see it, just the next episode he does better, couldn't this be a tad more Shounen style and have a little training or something?
That's true, he just ... became good at fighting, with no explanation or training. We aren't told that he had previously done martial arts or something as far as I can remember, she doesn't train him, he just magically is good at it without ever needing to practice or train, or something. It is odd, when you think about it... and given the increased harem direction of the show, it's not something they seem likely to answer anytime soon, unfortunately. Yeah, I'm worried about the direction the show is heading in, somewhat.

Still a good show and everything has its lows, here's hoping this is just a one time thing for this show.
Agreed.

Still better than MPD any day of the week.
I can't comment on that one, of course.

Articalys

Usagi Drop 2.5

Like everyone else said, pretty much just an espresso shot of moe and adorable. Not that that's a bad thing.
Also, I missed the main BGM theme for this series so much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Meteor Garden (Liu Xing Hua Yuan) 流星花園 was the first drama produced by something called "idol theater" 偶像劇場 which was some kind of initiative by some Taiwanese channel to produce idol based dramas. The target was young people and their budgets were teeny. Its a shame that Meteor Garden became such a massive hit that the entire industry thought that was a good idea and started copying it with some very terrible results.

So, really, all the crappy Taiwanese live action you're watching can be traced back to HYD.
It's funny, when you think about it, Asian dramas pander almost as much as anime. It just has fewer upskirts, boob grabs and crappy science fiction plots.

Hela

Macross Frontier 1-18
I've got an idea for a world where singing is you last hope against a great menace - get more goddamned singers.

I don't believe shity and low-budget asia dramas are something new.

And Meteor Garden had two likeable main heroes, so it was a lot better than many other dramas.

Shouta

Hela said:
Macross Frontier 1-18
I've got an idea for a world where singing is you last hope against a great menace - get more goddamned singers.

Would you really want more like them? WOULD YOU!?

That was also done a lot more fun in Macross 7, and more literally.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
It's funny, when you think about it, Asian dramas pander almost as much as anime. It just has fewer upskirts, boob grabs and crappy science fiction plots.

Dramas pander to the girls in this case. There is a drama that had the male leads take showers all the freaking time. It was kinda disconcerting.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
zeroshiki said:
Dramas pander to the girls in this case. There is a drama that had the male leads take showers all the freaking time. It was kinda disconcerting.
shower_zpsfa80c4cf.jpg

ふうかちゃんはきれい好き
シャワーを浴びるのは大好きです

It balances out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Freudcatch Precure 18-19

Writing seems to have loosened up more, although the psychoanalysis fight script is still being strictly adhered to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom