• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
weeaboo said:
What the?

JWRAy.jpg
Iknowthatfeelbro.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Articalys said:
This is the first time a series has shown such dominance that it has taken up three of the four semifinal spots.

Quarter Final 4
1st 710 Mami Tomoe @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 612 Squid Girl @ Squid Girl

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

scy

zeroshiki said:
;_;

You guys will come crawling back, just you wait and see.

Reminds me that I need to watch Guilty Crown 3 still.

A Black Falcon said:
Shaga may be somewhat amusing to watch, but some of her her actions make her someone that definitely isn't going to be high on my list... first, most obviously, there's the incest element. And also, the way she treats Oshiroi isn't nice either... that's not something that's going to make me like her more as a character, even if it is amusing to watch.

I just like her the most out of the rather bland female cast thus far. Which, at the end of the day, isn't saying much since Yarizui is bland as hell outside of the fourth wall break previews, Oshiroi I find uninteresting overall, and Shiraume is pretty much there for zettai ryouiki and abuse.

Hopefully it's just a breather episode for introducing Shaga and not a sign of things to come; I was fine with the episode but it, as a whole, isn't what I'd want for the rest of the show either.

It's a decent show, if you like action harem animes. Give it a try.

Sure why not. I've been on a harem/romcom bender with my manga reads, might as well watch some more while I'm at it.

That's true, he just ... became good at fighting, with no explanation or training. We aren't told that he had previously done martial arts or something as far as I can remember, she doesn't train him, he just magically is good at it without ever needing to practice or train, or something. It is odd, when you think about it...

The overwhelming desire for half-priced bento fuels his abilities; this is not a mere test of physical prowess but a measure of the very depths of ambition and the strength of his desires.

Plus, training montages would've totally broken the flow~!

Seriously though, yeah it was kind of weird that the day he steels his resolve is the same day he apparently becomes a brawling pro. I think I'm fine with it, though; I mean, a stupid and silly explanation wouldn't have sufficed and potentially done more harm than good and a series of training scenes (and/or episodes) would've served to stymie the pacing. It's not ideal but, hey, it saves us from being told that Virtua Fighter 2 trained him in combat and lets them focus on "training" being about the world of the fighting for bentos rather than a lesson on how to fight at all.

jman2050

Articalys said:
This is the first time a series has shown such dominance that it has taken up three of the four semifinal spots.

Quarter Final 4

No worries, Erica will overcome the onslaught of the medu-- hahahaha sorry couldn't finish that sentence.

God speed Ika ;;

cajunator

Banned
I'm really perplexed as to why PMMM is so popular. what's so special about it or the characters in it? I enjoyed the series, but it's not like those were the most likeable characters last season.

jman2050

cajunator said:
I'm really perplexed as to why PMMM is so popular.

It was good, it was advertised well, Shaft perfectly executed the "shock cliffhanger" technique, and I guess people just really liked the characters.

NewFresh

cajunator said:
I'm really perplexed as to why PMMM is so popular. what's so special about it or the characters in it? I enjoyed the series, but it's not like those were the most likeable characters last season.
People like deconstructions.

Reknoc

Un-Go 3

I think I'm starting to like this more and more. Having it be a two parter certainly allows for a better mystery, but it also means I have to wait longer for the guys deep monologue :( Quite enjoying the pans of the ruined city, but then I like things like that. Don't know why, but that sit at home detective's daughter is totally doing it for me, maybe it's because she always seems to dress like she has walked out of a BBC period drama.

Oh, and I still love the ED.

jman2050

cajunator said:
so is saimoe more of a judgement of series quality than it is about cuteness then?

When was it ever about anything else :p

Also regarding PMMM, just read the official thread to see what that show did to people while it was airing.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
jman2050 said:
Also regarding PMMM, just read the official thread to see what that delay did to people while it was airing.

fixed.

Saimoe is just a popualrity poll for female characters. Don't know how you could see it as anything else.

Articalys

I don't think anyone actually cares about Saimoe, including the organizers and the people voting. It's more of a spectacle, akin to the gladiator fights of ancient Rome, except no one dies. Probably.

I mean, we're talking about the viewpoints of a couple thousand otaku on 2ch, tops.

cajunator

Banned
The character designs aren't even that great though. I mean, the strength of that show was the story. For most of the show, Madoka was just kind of there in the background. I at least hope Kyouko wins it. Does this mean that PMMM might win next year too? I can't see anything coming along that can usurp it right now.

jman2050

Articalys said:
I don't think anyone actually cares about Saimoe, including the organizers and the people voting. It's more of a spectacle, akin to the gladiator fights of ancient Rome, except no one dies. Probably.

Saimoe is littered with the corpses of battered cuties.

NewFresh

firehawk12 said:
Did I mention that writing is more important than direction yet?

K-ON sux

Articalys said:
I demand ink be shed!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cajunator said:
The character designs aren't even that great though. I mean, the strength of that show was the story. For most of the show, Madoka was just kind of there in the background. I at least hope Kyouko wins it. Does this mean that PMMM might win next year too? I can't see anything coming along that can usurp it right now.
Naw, nerds are fickle. It's the only agency they have over women after all, since they can't figure out how to communicate with 3D girls. :p

cajunator

Banned
That whole thing with not being able to talk with girls is really strange. I mean, what is so fucking difficult about it? Hell I'm a socially awkward meganerd and I can talk with women without turning into a nervous wreck. It's not that hard. Women are just like men, except they are more emotional and have a vag.

A Black Falcon said:
The incinerator scene was pretty funny, but that scene in ep. 4, as I said, wasn't.

I also didn't get that same sense of insanity from ep. 4 that I had before, excepting the action parts; the harem parts with the MC and his cousin were more about her than about the crazy. I mean, sure, she's kind of crazy of course, they all are, but not in the same way that the previous two episodes were (there was far more of it, and it was worse), and Shiraume upping her actions in this episode didn't help either. I don't want to attack it TOO much, it was an okay episode, but it was somewhat disappointing, and the weakest episode so far I think. That kind of thing isn't what's good about this show.

So you claim Ben-To's not crazy enough, and then you complain about the characters "upping their actions" - which one do you want? The way you talk, I'd think you were talking about C3, which is a show whose harem side is completely uninspired and bland and which is only "good" (not legitimately, but entertaining at least) when it's in crazy action mode. Ben-To's much better than that.

I don't want to waste too much breath arguing about this show, because at the end of the day it's dumb and disposable. No one's going to remember it a year from now. It's just a show that's surprisingly enjoyable and fresh, much more than I would have expected from the first episode (which "setup" does not excuse BTW). In a relatively weak season (though thankfully there are a couple better shows), that's good enough to watch.

NewFresh

cajunator said:
That whole thing with not being able to talk with girls is really strange. I mean, what is so fucking difficult about it? Hell I'm a socially awkward meganerd and I can talk with women without turning into a nervous wreck. It's not that hard. Women are just like men, except they are more emotional and have a vag.

Fear women, for they are magical beings.

This is what anime has taught me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Fear women, for the are magical beings.

This is what anime has taught me.
There are two ways to deal with it I suppose.

1) Talk to women.
2) Objectify women from the safety of your own room.

I know which one I choose! *hugs Chihaya bodypillow*

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Articalys said:

Quarter Final 4
No Pants VS Surf Board VS Another Surf Board vs Mammies now

We all know who is the rightful heir to Saimoe.

Steroyd

cajunator said:

I think that's where Madoka's appeal comes from, she watches all the other girls get the shit trolled out of them before her eyes, while being the catalyst to Kyubei being the magnificent bastard that he is.

I can't help but feel Mami will take this so she can hold her head up high in victory.

cajunator

Banned
Hitokage said:
People who say this don't interact with sports fans.
Ok, so I forgot about sports fans. Ironic since I am at this moment also posting actively in NFL-GAF. Men cry about football. I get WAY pissed when my team does stuff like they did this week.
However I'm talking more about relationship/life occurrence stuff. Crying hard over a sappy story or a tense situation. I know men sometimes do too, but not nearly as often.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Steroyd said:
Especially during events like the FIFA World Cup, you'd think England fan's tears would have dried out already.
Maybe if the media weren't so keen on overrating England. Their national team sucks too much for a country with one of the best leagues in the world.
firehawk12 said:
I believe that the only time a heterosexual man is allowed to cry is when their team loses.
That's not what NTR has taught me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
cajunator said:
Ok, so I forgot about sports fans. Ironic since I am at this moment also posting actively in NFL-GAF. Men cry about football. I get WAY pissed when my team does stuff like they did this week.
However I'm talking more about relationship/life occurrence stuff. Crying hard over a sappy story or a tense situation. I know men sometimes do too, but not nearly as often.
So in other words, manly emotions don't count.

scy

cajunator said:

As a Cowboys fan, I basically watch football just so I can cry about my team.

NewFresh

cajunator said:

Emotions can be manly. Shuonen is a clear example of this.

jman2050

Ha, as a sports fan, the only times I get incredibly emotional are when something so good or bad happens that you'd have to be a statue to not get emotional!

Put me in front of a tragic and/or romance work however...

cajunator

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Emotions can be manly. Shuonen is a clear example of this.
I acknowledged that men do cry, just not as often as women do.
Anyway, I don't want to dwell on this, because it's kind of a boring subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom