• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Minsc-

doomed1 said:
Pfft. That's silly, you're never too old for jailbait! :p

I all growed so me can make my own choices. That, and I turn thirty this week so I may view things differently than most here.

Obsessed said:
New Prince of Tennis is godawful with none of the charm of the original series.

I have never watched the original so I have nothing to compare it too.

Persona 4 5

One thing I like about this show is the inclusion of other characters in social links. The investigation team and Ebihara would never interact during her SL and it really makes for some interesting character dynamics when they actually do. Hope P5 does something like that which aren't just throwaway "everyone interacts" scenes like the occasional mall Sunday mall visit or whatever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
Persona 4 5

One thing I like about this show is the inclusion of other characters in social links. The investigation team and Ebihara would never interact during her SL and it really makes for some interesting character dynamics when they actually do. Hope P5 does something like that which aren't just throwaway "everyone interacts" scenes like the occasional mall Sunday mall visit or whatever.
She would catfight with Yukiko under certain conditions. The b-team S-links all have something like that.

firehawk12 said:
She would catfight with Yukiko under certain conditions. The b-team S-links all have something like that.

Eh, I don't remember it being a catfight. Just a tiny mall verbal skirmish where Ai would walk away and you would get to spend the day with Yukiko instead. Don't remember the latter even making a fuss.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
Eh, I don't remember it being a catfight. Just a tiny mall verbal skirmish where Ai would walk away and you would get to spend the day with Yukiko instead. Don't remember the latter even making a fuss.
Well, I mean, it wasn't a slappy-slappy catfight. Just verbal sniping.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
Hana Yori Dango

I blame you Steroyd. It's so quaintly shoujo that it's almost inevitable that she ends up with the trolly curly hair guy. I'm curious to see how they drag this out for 50 episodes though... whenever I get to it.

Glad to be of service.

Was reading the manga to this, and it throws even more kitchen sinks including the thing that pissed Zeroshiki (?) off in the 2nd season of the Taiwaneese live action drama... yes it was actually canon.

Obsessed said:
New Prince of Tennis is godawful with none of the charm of the original series.

Charm? You mean no more snake shots, moon ball, big bang attack (lolz DBZ), making you go deaf and blind etc? :<

wonzo

Banned
Birdy the Mighty Decode 02

Couldn't really care about the new characters but the animation was amazing. Hopefully they get around to doing another series.

Winter 2011

other than gyo (ito fuck yeah), natsume, kyousogiga and nisemonogatari it looks to be a pretty shit season considering that two of those are ova's :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Steroyd said:
Glad to be of service.

Was reading the manga to this, and it throws even more kitchen sinks including the thing that pissed Zeroshiki (?) off in the 2nd season of the Taiwaneese live action drama... yes it was actually canon.

What else could they do to mess with the main characters?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Hitokage said:
oldage_zpsc43c82b4.jpg
Who the hell said anything about love? :3

Steroyd said:
Charm? You mean no more snake shots, moon ball, big bang attack (lolz DBZ), making you go deaf and blind etc? :<

I started reading the Shin PoT manga and the new powers were really lame.

"I HIT THE BALL REALLY HARD AND AUTO BREAK YOUR HANDS!"

"I secretly wear weights under these bandages! Now I hit harder and faster!"

"I hit the ball to the corner!"

"I can jump really high now!"

Nothing the guy can come up with compares to the old stuff.

scy

Obsessed said:
I started reading the Shin PoT manga and the new powers were really lame.

"I HIT THE BALL REALLY HARD AND AUTO BREAK YOUR HANDS!"

"I secretly wear weights under these bandages! Now I hit harder and faster!"

"I hit the ball to the corner!"

"I can jump really high now!"

Nothing the guy can come up with compares to the old stuff.

Shiraishi's power-up was pretty lame, to be honest :/ But there was the seemingly out of nowhere
Illusion shot from Yamato. Last I read was the new Atobe so no idea if it got stupider or not.

Ayakashi: Classic Japanese Horror

While I liked the first two arcs and all (
getting eaten alive by rats must be a painful way to go
), what I was really here for was the Bakeneko arc and it did not disappoint. Fantastically creative visual style - the climax was a feast for the eyes. The idiosyncratic directing was nigh perfect, from the tension of the scenes sliding through the house from the demon's viewpoint, to the framing of and cuts between the characters as they expose their tragic and cruel secrets.

Can't wait to delve into Mononoke.

trejo

Fat / Ero 6

Not a bad episode but not very good either. The endless banter every character engages in still sticks out like a sore thumb but you sorta learn to either tolerate it or phase it out and the show does manage to look pretty nice whenever they lay off the CG.

I like that even Gilgamesh acknowledges that his master is boring as fuck.

Articalys

Mirai Nikki 5

Looks like they're still pacing at about 2 chapters per episode. At this rate, it'll be another couple of weeks before the second-best character in the series shows up.

trejo

hosannainexcelsis said:

), what I was really here for was the Bakeneko arc and it did not disappoint. Fantastically creative visual style - the climax was a feast for the eyes. The idiosyncratic directing was nigh perfect, from the tension of the scenes sliding through the house from the demon's viewpoint, to the framing of and cuts between the characters as they expose their tragic and cruel secrets.

Mononoke is excellent. I can't see you being disappointed by it.

wonzo

Banned
Mirai Nikki 5

i forgot how much the twelfth owns. dat minene eye-patch upgrade.

i cant wait until (manga spoiler)
the fourth loses his shit

hosannainexcelsis said:

you're in for a real treat

trejo

RurouniZel said:
Thanks. I must scientifically examine this show to analyze it's ... medicinal qualities.
You'd be better off waiting for the uncensored versions, you know...
to properly fap to it

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Er, that's not how Japan works. Movies take almost a year to make the transition from theatre to home video. Heck, the second MacF movie opened last year and just came out a few weeks ago on disc.

Arrietty took really really long. From opening to DVD release was like a year and a half. Kokuriko will probably take even longer since its still showing NOW and it opened July.

firehawk12 said:
Hana Yori Dango

I blame you Steroyd. It's so quaintly shoujo that it's almost inevitable that she ends up with the trolly curly hair guy. I'm curious to see how they drag this out for 50 episodes though... whenever I get to it.

I can also see why Asians all around... Asia would like this concept. It's so easy to do - find some pretty boys, make them all emo, and then have a cute girl slap them around a bit before falling in love with one of them. It's like a formula for creating teen idols. Disney needs to get on this shit for the next Hannah Montana.

They do a good job of hiding who she ends up with in the series (Well as good as any love triangle-y shoujo). You get just enough doubt that they'd maybe Ichigo 100% it and you get bestending.

Its without a doubt the most popular (profitable for sure) shoujo property out there. You should watch the TW version next so as to go chronological.

Steroyd said:
Glad to be of service.

I actually knew it was canon. Its just that the TW version took the basic concept of it and took it to a really stupid direction. This is not to say the manga didn't get stupid as well.

So chapter 3 of the Last Exile Fam manga is out, and it has a bit better explanation of several things from ep. 2 and the very beginning of ep. 3 of the anime. The events are almost identical, but a few things are explained a little more...

-There are indeed a bunch of Exile ships in orbit around the planet, of the various peoples who have returned.

-That Exile, that attacks Turan, is, I think, ironically, Turan's Exile.

-The elder Turanian princess, Liliana, is the key to her Exile. The Ades general knows this, and somehow knew the command to force her to get that Exile to descend to Turan's capital, and uses it in that scene in the bridge where the main three confront him. Then, as is also clear in the anime, the Exile attacks the city once the city's guns fire on it; Exiles attack in self-defense of course, just like in the original show.

-Later, in a discussion between the five or six Ades generals, one of the other generals asks how their leader figured out that princess was the key, and says that no other keys are known to exist (so they don't know about Alvis, apparently; the idea that their Exile is recently returned almost seems to be the correct one).

Also, the Ades seem to have a grudge against the other people who left, because they all left when things on the planet got bad, while these people apparently stayed, so now they want to kill the land and resources that, in the interim, they had taken for their own. This also is pretty much identical in the anime. I presume that both are working off of the same script, and that the anime was designed first?

InfiniteNine said:
I was under the impression that the SAVE labels were removable. Unless they started printing them on the boxes now.
They're either removable or reversible, yeah.

Had a great time at Youmacon during the weekend. Got stuff signed, had pics taken with some of the guests. Missed out on one guest in particular, but whatever. Bought some stuff, including a FMA movie, and Shin Chan S3. Had fun checking out some of the panels and watching the AMVs they were showing off (including the sick/twisted stuff they had after hours)

Might go back next year, just depends on what's in store for 3DS Streetpass in the months to come.

jman2050

Mirai Nikki 5

This was one of my favorite parts of the manga and they totally nailed it.

Yandere is best dere.

And omg the after-credits skit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
They do a good job of hiding who she ends up with in the series (Well as good as any love triangle-y shoujo). You get just enough doubt that they'd maybe Ichigo 100% it and you get bestending.

Its without a doubt the most popular (profitable for sure) shoujo property out there. You should watch the TW version next so as to go chronological.
Hah, that assumes I'll finish this one any time soon. Remember that I'm still supposed to be watching Slam Dunk and One Piece!

RurouniZel said:
No! I asked first, and I'm going to be the one who examines this show first!! *points above* :p

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai
I feel bad for mentioning it now. :saber :p

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! 01: Um, is there a first season I missed or something? I feel like I got thrown into this first episode like I should have known everyone. Tons of war and fighting and skirts and names outta nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom