• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RurouniZel said:
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! 01: Um, is there a first season I missed or something? I feel like I got thrown into this first episode like I should have known everyone. Tons of war and fighting and skirts and names outta nowhere.
What, you want logic in your h-game harem show!?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Steins;GAF 12:

N6C50.jpg

Punishment is the most fitting when it's the most unjust or something.

FUCK

YOU

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! 02-03: The funny thing is, I think I prefer this show with the censors. It's a lot funnier that way. Also, the show is totally racist.

I like the shy girl though. She's at least kind of cute.

I'm calling it a night for anime. Work tomorrow. :/

So I'll leave with this blog post: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai seiyuu draw their characters.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5092.html

Dresden said:
From the two or so chapters I read of Gokujyo, it's almost absurdly trashy and thus, logically, will be awesome.

Oh, Kill Me Baby is getting animated . . . I wonder why. Oh well, definitely gonna watch that and Gokujyo. Oh, and the skirt pirate one.

Articalys

RurouniZel said:
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! 02-03: The funny thing is, I think I prefer this show with the censors. It's a lot funnier that way. Also, the show is totally racist.

So I'll leave with this blog post: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai seiyuu draw their characters.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5092.html
Things I learned today: Marina Inoue, Kanae Itou, and Nozomi Yamamoto are decent artists.
Misato Fukuen and Kana Hanazawa are... not.

iammeiam

Just finished Steins;Gate and it was fantastic.

First few episodes are kind of... okay. Then you get into it, and it's harmless fun. Then the second half kicks off and it's basically all-depressing, all the time. Then there is an ending and it is pretty much perfect.

Very excellent, lived up to the hype.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mirai Nikki 05: I'm not sure how I feel about introducing heavy elements like
gang-rape
succeeded by
parody-sentai number
, though I will admit that
kiss was fucking hot!

Thoraxes

cosmicblizzard said:
Phi Brian 5

Wait... so
a puzzle killed his parents?
Hahahahahaha.

Also, how the fuck do you solve this?

SBi2N.jpg
When the "major" plot points happened, all I did was laughed. I laughed even more at the end.

Qatar

Zero No Tsukaima is coming back !!! last season was about 3-4 years ago.
Have the manga gotten released a long time ago or did it just end ?

jman2050

Regulus Tera said:
gang-rape
succeeded by
parody-sentai number
kiss was fucking hot!

oh believe me, this story is most certainly not above
being whimsical about the terrible horrible things going on
in the least bit.

Shouta

zeroshiki said:
They do a good job of hiding who she ends up with in the series (Well as good as any love triangle-y shoujo). You get just enough doubt that they'd maybe Ichigo 100% it and you get bestending.

Its without a doubt the most popular (profitable for sure) shoujo property out there. You should watch the TW version next so as to go chronological.

The HYD anime is probably the best version of the series, at least to me. It gets all the stuff you need and then ends it at the perfect spot.

Ben-To 5 - Nice recovery from the poor ep. 4 indeed! This was a good episode, funny, entertaining, and it advanced the plot too. Some stuff was stupid -- the part with him and the woman who works at that store, after he woke up, was just dumb -- but most of the rest of the episode was good. Crossdressing stuff is often pretty funny, and it is indeed here. He's almost moe, I think, in Oshiroi's other uniform... :) If his boxer shorts didn't overlap the skirt on both ends it might work better and look a bit less ridiculous, but oh well, it was good stuff as is. :)

I don't know why those guys were chasing him for wanting to see her, though. Overly protective of the students at that school or something? Oh well, it was funny.

I do wonder, though... how will they fight back against and beat this guy, when the two fighter girls in the harem were unwilling, and presumably unable, to do anything to stop the MC from getting beaten badly by the new villain? The MC obviously will have a hard time beating him too, given how this episode went... We'll have to see I guess.

So yeah, solid episode, and a good setup for a larger threat.

RurouniZel said:
No! I asked first, and I'm going to be the one who examines this show first!! *points above* :p

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai
Aka Majikoi. The anime is called Majikoi Oh! Samurai Girls, or at least, that's the English title I guess... just Majikoi usually. But yeah, that is the full title that the "Majikoi" part refers to.

firehawk12 said:
:lol New episode I assume? I'll have to watch it...

RurouniZel said:
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai! 01: Um, is there a first season I missed or something? I feel like I got thrown into this first episode like I should have known everyone. Tons of war and fighting and skirts and names outta nowhere.
Episode two will start introducing people, but yes, it doesn't start at the beginning, but somewhere during the story.

RurouniZel said:

Yeah, I think the censors are mostly fine in Majikoi. They're not distracting screen-covering glare stuff, like the more broken censored shows like R-15 or, even worse, Manyuu Hikenchou.

Also, I like the shy girl too. Her doll that she (I'm pretty sure) speaks through with ventriliquism, that's like her opposite/cheerleader, is pretty funny too... :)

As for racism, how so?

Dresden said:
From the two or so chapters I read of Gokujyo, it's almost absurdly trashy and thus, logically, will be awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/YqAFtl.jpg

... One of them's loli (harem incest, most likely), huh? That's sure covering all of their bases at once...

Anyway, while I don't know if there'll be anything incredible, a good number might be decent. I'm definitely looking forward to Milky Holmes S2. The first season was, of course, great fun, hopefully the second will be as funny. Hopefully Black Rock Shooter will be decent as well, and also Last Exile Fam will be continuing into next season too, so there'll also be that. Also... Miniskirt Pirates... sure, why not, I'll try it (though the idea that pirate captain jobs were inherited is completely, totally stupid... they were elected positions! Unless you mean other kinds of pirates, not the standard movie (17th century Carribean style, etc) pirates, which it clearly doesn't based on that that picture. But anyway, could be amusing? We'll see.

Apart from that, I'll likely try Kill me baby (I've read some of the manga, it's kind of odd how the three characters are the only people you see on panel 99.9% of the time, but it is amusing), and maybe or maybe not several others, like Rinne no Lagrange, Senhime Zesshou Symphogear, Nisemonogatari, Gokujyo, etc.

Also, of course, the IS and R-15 specials. :)

... Looking at that list, I see lots of stupid stuff and action, but anything serious? There's one that looks to maybe be horror (Another), but apart from that? Nisemonogatari?

Steroyd said:
*Reads Recorder to Randoseru*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/Charc/Gifs/AAAAAAARGH.gif

I read some of the 4koma of that Kill me baby a couple of years ago, so I'll be interested in how that translates into an anime, yet to watch Natsume season 3, I'm all prepped up for the Amagami and Milky Holmes second seasons, and lords knows what to expect from the New Prince of Tennis, more Tezuka caused dinosaurs to be extinct and less Super Saiyan 3 crap please.
... Yeah, that Recorder thing sound stupid. I also wonder how well Kill me baby will work, though, and yeah, and hoping that Milky Holmes S2 is good, like the first.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Regulus Tera said:
gang-rape
succeeded by
parody-sentai number
kiss was fucking hot!
I think that's kind of the point. Mood dissonance I think is the driving factor behind the narrative, using the uncanny to their advantage. It's not the unknown, but rather the known, made to look off, that makes the concept interesting. Which reminds me I really must get to watching this...

Master Keaton 3

How classy is Master Keaton?

IL5gF.jpg

DdaOo.jpg

YJfZY.jpg

So classy.

A Black Falcon said:
... Looking at that list, I see lots of stupid stuff and action, but anything serious? There's one that looks to maybe be horror (Another), but apart from that? Nisemonogatari?

Natsume is serious. I don't think Nisemonogatari will be.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Master Keaton 1

This is the definition of classy. Keaton truly is the master.
Ah yes, Master Keaton is definitely very classy and adult in its approach to storytelling. A thoroughly excellent title.

C3 6

I love how there hasn't been a straight up harem antics episode yet since 1. Still, more relevant stuff could have happened, but not a terrible episode. Tits girl #2 seems alright.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Branduil said:
That Giants/Patriots game today felt like a replay of the famous Jexhius/Darkside argument.

I never knew you thought of me as Tom Brady. I am totally flattered.

You're also using an analogy that only a couple dudebros would even get in here.

Master Keaton 5

An episode about the impending destruction of an adult education center and the value of life-long learning. The variety of settings, stories, and themes in this series is quite impressive.

I'm surprised I haven't seen Master Keaton get recommended as a good anime for non-anime fans, given its mainstream appeal and avoidance of stereotypical anime traits or even any Japanese cultural traits.

Dresden

I guess there's a new magical girlfriend anime coming based off an LN... doesn't it look like a perfect kugiloli material?

1VEgU.png

The story of the upcoming light novel project is set in a world where the existence of magic has been known for a century as a mysterious power to rival science. However, the discovery of MISO — the Material of an Impediment to the Sorcerer's Orders — made magic into not a special power, but a technique that can be raised. One morning, while Shōta Hacchōya (a high school boy attending a magic academy) was tasting miso soup, a princess of Majieeru suddenly breaks in. Majieeru happens to be the birthplace of magic.
Material of an Impediment to the Sorcerer's Orders

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Ben-To 5 - Nice recovery from the poor ep. 4 indeed! This was a good episode, funny, entertaining, and it advanced the plot too. Some stuff was stupid -- the part with him and the woman who works at that store, after he woke up, was just dumb -- but most of the rest of the episode was good. Crossdressing stuff is often pretty funny, and it is indeed here. He's almost moe, I think, in Oshiroi's other uniform... :) If his boxer shorts didn't overlap the skirt on both ends it might work better and look a bit less ridiculous, but oh well, it was good stuff as is. :)
Why is crossdressing stuff almost universally funny? I don't think so, it usually comes off as too contrived and by the numbers for it to be funny, and in my defense it usually is too contrived and by the numbers to be funny.
A Black Falcon said:
I don't know why those guys were chasing him for wanting to see her, though. Overly protective of the students at that school or something? Oh well, it was funny.
He's a pedo I imagine who doesn't want any other guy talking to his girl. Or just a shit set up to have him chased so they could do the contrived cross dressing scheme.
A Black Falcon said:
I do wonder, though... how will they fight back against and beat this guy, when the two fighter girls in the harem were unwilling, and presumably unable, to do anything to stop the MC from getting beaten badly by the new villain? The MC obviously will have a hard time beating him too, given how this episode went... We'll have to see I guess.
You really don't have any Wolf's blood coursing through your veins do you? All the girls had already grabbed their meals, everyone else had not, therefore according to the rules they were no longer combatants and could not interfere. This is like basic shit man, what separates Wolves from the common Pomeranian.
A Black Falcon said:
So yeah, solid episode, and a good setup for a larger threat.
But yeah, a step up from last weeks and was more enjoyable than not so, yay.

mAcOdIn said:
Why is crossdressing stuff almost universally funny? I don't think so, it usually comes off as too contrived and by the numbers for it to be funny, and in my defense it usually is too contrived and by the numbers to be funny.
Because it is! I don't know, it definitely works most of the time. :)

And bah, even if this situation was contrived, it wasn't by-the-numbers, I can't think of many other crossdressing scenarios quite like Ben-To's. :lol

He's a pedo I imagine who doesn't want any other guy talking to his girl. Or just a shit set up to have him chased so they could do the contrived cross dressing scheme.
I'd probably guess that it's the latter, but it doesn't hurt the scene too much really. Sure it's for a completely stupid reason, but it's a completely stupid show, so it fits.

You really don't have any Wolf's blood coursing through your veins do you? All the girls had already grabbed their meals, everyone else had not, therefore according to the rules they were no longer combatants and could not interfere. This is like basic shit man, what separates Wolves from the common Pomeranian.
But was the degree of beating he gave the MC really within the rules either? He clearly was trying to go over the top and go too far in order to provoke them and the other side, and succeeded, but I'd think that those facts would overrule things like what you just say.

But yeah, a step up from last weeks and was more enjoyable than not so, yay.
Indeed.

RurouniZel

cajunator said:
I guess I'm a dudebro because I know all that zany NFL shit.

Same here. I don't think anyone would call me a dudebro anyway though. ^^;

A Black Falcon said:
As for racism, how so?

There's that one really dark-skinned girl who kept coming up during the butt of the jokes during the dog-chase scene. Especially the first one, where the music does that kind of slowdown there, as if to cue the audience to laugh because unlike the previous two girls walked in on, she's dark-skinned. I could be reading too much into that, admittedly.

Carnival Phantasm 5- Right off the bat the start was good with Nero's pets but the main story about Berserker's first mission was better.
Carnival Phantasm 6- Great choice of characters for the table sharing segment.

Articalys

Over the past week or so, I watched (almost) the entirety of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's been ages since I watched the first season, so it was nice to see that again (especially the core six episodes), and for better or worse I'd never seen the second season, so it was my first time experiencing that. Unfortunately, it turns out that devoting eight episodes to trolling your viewers simply isn't entertaining (though the end of the final one does make for a nice payoff), and the subsequent five-episode plot of Sighs was only worth it for a few key scenes. All in all, the whole 28 episodes balance out to a decent series, better in some parts than others.

Of course, if you'll believe some theories, there's a particular reason for the repetitive nature and downturn in variety (and quality, subjectively) of the second season: they needed to fill up 14 episodes to reach a certain point in the series timeline, and all their creative effort was being redirected somewhere else.

So in some silly form of logic, I went through those 28 episodes as a prelude to that "somewhere else", which is what I just finished watching.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

I liked this movie.
I really, really liked this movie. Like, pretty much everything about it.
Soundtrack was great, backgrounds were amazing, and Tomokazu Sugita gave what was probably the performance of his career.
Obviously it's not going to be for everyone, especially people already burnt out on the Haruhi series, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sorry if that all sounds too gushy. Back to the regularly scheduled cynicism, I suppose.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
RurouniZel said:
There's that one really dark-skinned girl who kept coming up during the butt of the jokes during the dog-chase scene. Especially the first one, where the music does that kind of slowdown there, as if to cue the audience to laugh because unlike the previous two girls walked in on, she's dark-skinned. I could be reading too much into that, admittedly.

Isn't she a ganguro girl?

RurouniZel

Articalys said:
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

I liked this movie.
I really, really liked this movie. Like, pretty much everything about it.
Soundtrack was great, backgrounds were amazing, and Tomokazu Sugita gave what was probably the performance of his career.
Obviously it's not going to be for everyone, especially people already burnt out on the Haruhi series, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sorry if that all sounds too gushy. Back to the regularly scheduled cynicism, I suppose.

I agree 100%. The movie is gorgeous and kept my attention the entire way. Not an easy feat when it's 2 1/2 hours long.

Saiyar said:
Isn't she a ganguro girl?

I considered that, but her skin seemed to dark for that. Again, I could just be reading too much into a show that's not exactly a classic.

Yami

Ben-To 5

Still keeping this crazy train going. I like how it kind of has a plot. One that is slowly unwrapping. But the show has enough to keep me hooked, regardless of plot stupidity. Show of the season, hands down.

Articalys

God damn that was a fast reaction to the news; do you have Yaraon in your RSS reader or just happened to be browsing the blog or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom