• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewFresh

doomed1 said:
It's a bad sign if I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not...
I'm serious.....sadly.

It comes up pretty quickly in the manga. Probably needed to get that out of the way to be able to start walking in while they changing, showering, etc...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Jexhius said:
Did anyone even read the blurb for the Recorder one? Sounds like some Yoiko shit. I don't think it will be that classy though.
All depends on how they do it. While the "looks 10 but really 17!" is done disturbingly to death, the brother being 10 but 5'9" might actually make things interesting if they play it straight enough. I mean, a 10yo in an adolescent's body is just a recipe for hilarity. We'll see though. I don't have much hope either really.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I'm serious.....sadly.

It comes up pretty quickly in the manga. Probably needed to get that out of the way to be able to start walking in while they changing, showering, etc...
NjpXO.jpg

7Th

Rewatching this movie after watching other Precure movies makes it even more surprising that it turned out genuinely good. From the direction and tone to the writing of the extra characters to the production values, it's like fucking night and day. I mean, one actually feels like a movie, the other feels like a B-Team episode of the TV show. I'm really looking forward to Rie Matusmoto's Kyousogiga next season.

And before I forget,
this is totally the best franchise-based magical girl movie of all time.

hellclerk

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Like I said, the show will be a litmus test.
A litmus test of what, I wonder. I mean, that detail in and of itself can create an awkward but humorous drama right there, but is there some college broad that MC's going for? Because that would make things acceptable. Because that sort of a narrative doesn't have many positive connotations in the romcom genre...

NewFresh

doomed1 said:
A litmus test of what, I wonder. I mean, that detail in and of itself can create an awkward but humorous drama right there, but is there some college broad that MC's going for? Because that would make things acceptable. Because that sort of a narrative doesn't have many positive connotations in the romcom genre...

The manga was a series of weird events that leads them to live with their college age uncle in a small apartment, just think of all the fun panty shot scenarios. There is no other love interest for him that I saw. In fact, the eldest seems to be the love interest. (I just read the first light novel the other day after hearing it was announced). The whole thing lacked any kind of comedic punch and even involved...manga and possibly show spoiler...
Killing the girls parents in a plane crash so that they have to live with him

The whole thing seems like "What if usagi drop was a harem?"

RedSwirl

Is it good to talk about pre-2011 anime in here? Because I'm just now realizing that you can't rent Summer Wars ANYWHERE except physical Netflix and I still haven't seen that movie.

Branduil

doomed1 said:
I mean, that detail in and of itself can create an awkward but humorous drama right there, but is there some college broad that MC's going for? Because that would make things acceptable.
I don't know anything about the show but I'd bet a lot of money that the answer is no.

RedSwirl said:
Is it good to talk about pre-2011 anime in here? Because I'm just now realizing that you can't rent Summer Wars ANYWHERE except physical Netflix and I still haven't seen that movie.

Any anime is fine to discuss in here, no matter when it's from.

NewFresh

RedSwirl said:
All anime talk is welcome.

I ran into the same issue. I ended up caving in and buying the blu-ray, which was worth it in the end. I think you can find it for under $20, I've even seen it on sale from time to time around $10.

Jex

Infinite Justice said:
Wow new season looks even shittier than usual.
It does look like it will contain some unique and disturbing shows, that's for certain.

As for the shows that I will bother checking out:

Kyousogiga, Natsume, Nisemonogatari and Gyo. Considering that two of those are OVA's it doesn't look like following too many shows over that period. Then again, quite often I find that a show that sounds terrible or dull on paper might actually turn out to be quite enjoyable. It's always nice when that happens.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Looks like another season with absolutely nothing of value. Sigh.

Well, except the K-ON movie, but we won't be able to see that for another several months.

hellclerk

EmmanuelMunoz said:
The manga was a series of weird events that leads them to live with their college age uncle in a small apartment, just think of all the fun panty shot scenarios. There is no other love interest for him that I saw. In fact, the eldest seems to be the love interest. (I just read the first light novel the other day after hearing it was announced). The whole thing lacked any kind of comedic punch and even involved...manga and possibly show spoiler...
Killing the girls parents in a plane crash so that they have to live with him

The whole thing seems like "What if usagi drop was a harem?"
186yA.png

to be fair the blurb says the parents' plane went "missing" which could mean they're still alive. I'm not counting on it though.

jman2050

doomed1 said:
to be fair the blurb says the parents' plane went "missing" which could mean they're still alive. I'm not counting on it though.

Nah, she'll still be alive. She has to be.

After all, they have to make her another love interest.

DiGiKerot

Aigis said:
Well, except the K-ON movie, but we won't be able to see that for another several months.

Several months? That's optimistic - I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hit home media until this time next year.

hellclerk

jman2050 said:
Nah, she'll still be alive. She has to be.

After all, they have to make her another love interest.
Z8tTR.png

DiGiKerot said:
Several months? That's optimistic - I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hit home media until this time next year.
I doubt it. Time outside of theaters is time for otaku to find something else to fill their media consumption. As soon as the film isn't screening anymore, they'll run a marketing campaign for a month or so to drum up the exorbitantly priced DVD and Blu-Ray copies.

Steroyd

*Reads Recorder to Randoseru*

AAAAAAARGH.gif

I read some of the 4koma of that Kill me baby a couple of years ago, so I'll be interested in how that translates into an anime, yet to watch Natsume season 3, I'm all prepped up for the Amagami and Milky Holmes second seasons, and lords knows what to expect from the New Prince of Tennis, more Tezuka caused dinosaurs to be extinct and less Super Saiyan 3 crap please.

BluWacky

Doesn't the new Aquarion premiere in January too? I mean, it will no doubt be terrible, as the original series was, but I kind-of liked it anyway, so...

Jex

BluWacky said:
Doesn't the new Aquarion premiere in January too? I mean, it will no doubt be terrible, as the original series was, but I kind-of liked it anyway, so...
Well, you do have an Arjuna avatar, what are we to make of your words?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well things aren't looking good for next season. Here's hoping some gems shine through anyway.

Or takes me completely by surprise like Ben-To did.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
doomed1 said:
I doubt it. Time outside of theaters is time for otaku to find something else to fill their media consumption. As soon as the film isn't screening anymore, they'll run a marketing campaign for a month or so to drum up the exorbitantly priced DVD and Blu-Ray copies.
Er, that's not how Japan works. Movies take almost a year to make the transition from theatre to home video. Heck, the second MacF movie opened last year and just came out a few weeks ago on disc.

Jexhius said:
It does look like it will contain some unique and disturbing shows, that's for certain.

As for the shows that I will bother checking out:

Kyousogiga, Natsume, Nisemonogatari and Gyo. Considering that two of those are OVA's it doesn't look like following too many shows over that period. Then again, quite often I find that a show that sounds terrible or dull on paper might actually turn out to be quite enjoyable. It's always nice when that happens.

Its sad that the only show i would possibly bat an eyelid to is an OVA for a series that finished years ago.

Takao

Banned
Not here or there, but man Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged is incredibly awful now. They "parodied" the Bonds Beyond Time movie, and the first 3 minutes is an entirely new flash animated sequence. Nothing to do with Yu-Gi-Oh! outside of the characters singing a song, which wasn't even about card games.

firehawk12 said:
Er, that's not how Japan works. Movies take almost a year to make the transition from theatre to home video. Heck, the second MacF movie opened last year and just came out a few weeks ago on disc.
Yeah I think it took over a year for Disappearance to come out on DVD.

Gundam Age ep 5
tumblr_lu5uhc1an51qeumowo1_500.gif

I liked the episode. Emily gets more and more annoying. I really hope Flit continues to pilot Gundam. Im so confused on Grodek,
Hes doing some pretty devious things to be a good guy. Desil is quite cool, they really keep the mystery aspect between him and Yurin's ability hidden, Im ready for revelation

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hana Yori Dango

I blame you Steroyd. It's so quaintly shoujo that it's almost inevitable that she ends up with the trolly curly hair guy. I'm curious to see how they drag this out for 50 episodes though... whenever I get to it.

I can also see why Asians all around... Asia would like this concept. It's so easy to do - find some pretty boys, make them all emo, and then have a cute girl slap them around a bit before falling in love with one of them. It's like a formula for creating teen idols. Disney needs to get on this shit for the next Hannah Montana.

BluWacky

Jexhius said:
Well, you do have an Arjuna avatar, what are we to make of your words?

If only I could astrally project myself into all your rooms right now so I would know what you are feeling without the miscommunication that words give to thought.

Actually, wait, no. This is an anime thread.

My Little Sister Can't be this Insufferable 1-15

Not too shabby. Started well, dipped in the middle, then picked up towards the end.
1. Remove Kirino 2. Add Kuroneko 3. ???? 4. Profit

Re: Winter 2011-12 season. I will watch Nisemonogatari so hard you will have to peel me off the screen. There're a couple of other points of interest (Kyousogiga, Mouretsu Pirates, potentially Amagami if the prequel's any good). I'd be interested in Another, but I tried reading the manga a while back and didn't think much of it. Then again, from what I remember the translation was pretty bad.

-Minsc-

Winter Anime 2011/2012 2.0

Hmm... Natsume and maybe The New Prince of Tennis and BRAVE 10 (if Crunchyroll or the like picks them up). As for the rest, I'm too old for jailbait.

iavi

BluWacky said:
If only I could astrally project myself into all your rooms right now so I would know what you are feeling without the miscommunication that words give to thought

This does sound extremely kinky. I can leave the window open if it helps.

Jex

Infinite Justice said:
Its sad that the only show i would possibly bat an eyelid to is an OVA for a series that finished years ago.
Well that's not too bad, I mean, not every season has to be great. I'd hope that every season has at least on good shows, but that isn't always the way.

NewFresh

-Minsc- said:

Hmm... Natsume and maybe The New Prince of Tennis and BRAVE 10 (if Crunchyroll or the like picks them up). As for the rest, I'm too old for jailbait.
This makes no sense.

hellclerk

-Minsc- said:

Pfft. That's silly, you're never too old for jailbait! :p

-Minsc- said:

New Prince of Tennis is godawful with none of the charm of the original series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom