• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Articalys said:
[...]The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

I liked this movie.
I really, really liked this movie. Like, pretty much everything about it.
Soundtrack was great, backgrounds were amazing, and Tomokazu Sugita gave what was probably the performance of his career.
Obviously it's not going to be for everyone, especially people already burnt out on the Haruhi series, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.[...]
I don't that there's anything particularly problematic about really liking The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. There are a number of praiseworthy things about it because it's an extremely well made animated feature.

I'll also agree that it sits in an odd place, considering how amazingly they screwed up the second season. From what I've read, it still received plenty of praise so I guess the Endless Eight didn't destroy the entire fanbase.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I don't that there's anything particularly problematic about really liking The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. There are a number of praiseworthy things about it because it's an extremely well made animated feature.

I'll also agree that it sits in an odd place, considering how amazingly they screwed up the second season. From what I've read, it still received plenty of praise so I guess the Endless Eight didn't destroy the entire fanbase.
Disappearance kind of feels like a giant apology letter.

it makes sense

NdNoj.jpg

Jex

Anne of Green Gables 33

This episode was very enjoyable and extremely well made. I know I say that about this series quite often, but that's because it's usually true. That they can carry on using this small handful of characters for so many episodes with so few 'big' changes to the storyline, Price Edward Island is a fairly static place, really speaks highly to the quality of the writing and the directing.

Perhaps what I liked most about this episode was how it combined too very different things that I enjoy about this show: believable character interaction between children and Anne being melodramatic. While both these aspects are usually present in the show anyway I really feel that they successfully topped them selves on both fronts.

I really felt Anne's blight in both circumstances and it's great how Anne reacts in a way that is completely in keeping with her character up till this point. She's so well defined that you can imagine how she would handle pretty much any situation.

anne33a.jpg

anne33b.jpg

The great voice acting and emotive facial expressions really help to sell these scenes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
duckroll said:
TeY7r.jpg

MADOKA MOVIE ANNOUNCED?!!!!!!!!?????????????
Maybe this time
she can make a wish that doesn't involve her being forced to save everyone for an eternity.

RurouniZel said:
There's that one really dark-skinned girl who kept coming up during the butt of the jokes during the dog-chase scene. Especially the first one, where the music does that kind of slowdown there, as if to cue the audience to laugh because unlike the previous two girls walked in on, she's dark-skinned. I could be reading too much into that, admittedly.
Oh, that. I was hoping that she was actually supposed to be ganguro, not black, and the joke was that he hates that style... if it was just "gah, dark skinned girl" then yes it was certainly racist. I'm not so sure it was though.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
cajunator said:
I would love to see more Kino's Journey anime produced.
Damned straight. There are like fourteen motherfucking volumes with fifteen supposed to hit in a couple of days, and from what I understand, it's quite a popular series across a variety of demographics. It has a very wide international appeal since most of the show isn't really very Japan specific. God, why isn't more of this show made!

Seriously, even the light novels were completely butchered by Tokyopop despite a fantastic translation and them being translated up to vol. 3. But what's there to show 8 years since the show's first airing? Two half-hour movies, one of them a lipservice prequel and the other that may as well just be another (admittedly fantastic) random episode? After Tokyopop's butchering of the localization strategy, there's not likely to be another company to pick it up, despite its fantastic potential as a young adult fantasy adventure novel series, filled with relatively short, easy to read and digest non-linear vignettes about Kino and Hermes' travels. It's a fucking goldmine, and I'm sitting here, with the only way to experience the whole story to learn and understand Japanese, but with no cultural context, I'm gonna have no fucking clue about the subtleties, puns, and multiple entendre infused in the literature. Feels bad man... [/end rant]

PdotMichael said:
the name of the anime?

I watch now Denpa Onna, again. What a great anime!

http://i.imgur.com/Kg3H9.gif[IMG]

Team Erio![/QUOTE]
Team Ryuuko! Fighto! Fighto! Fighto! >:D

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ek8B0.gif

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
PdotMichael said:
She hate Erio, so she is out.
Yeah, cause Makoto's a dirty, incestuous, oblivious doof. Seriously though, Erio's got nuth'n on Ryuuko's HNNNNG factor. Sure, Erio's got the woobie past and the quirky quiet girl appeal, but she still has nothing on Ryuuko's energy of character. But we don't have to be hate'n, we can join forces against the true threat! Team Meme!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jexhius said:
Anne of Green Gables 33
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/anne33a.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/anne33b.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

I think it's time you admitted defeat. Anne's face (and specifically her forehead) is so repulsive she doesn't want anybody else to see it either.

cajunator

Banned
doomed1 said:
Damned straight. There are like fourteen motherfucking volumes with fifteen supposed to hit in a couple of days, and from what I understand, it's quite a popular series across a variety of demographics. It has a very wide international appeal since most of the show isn't really very Japan specific. God, why isn't more of this show made!

Seriously, even the light novels were completely butchered by Tokyopop despite a fantastic translation and them being translated up to vol. 3. But what's there to show 8 years since the show's first airing? Two half-hour movies, one of them a lipservice prequel and the other that may as well just be another (admittedly fantastic) random episode? After Tokyopop's butchering of the localization strategy, there's not likely to be another company to pick it up, despite its fantastic potential as a young adult fantasy adventure novel series, filled with relatively short, easy to read and digest non-linear vignettes about Kino and Hermes' travels. It's a fucking goldmine, and I'm sitting here, with the only way to experience the whole story to learn and understand Japanese, but with no cultural context, I'm gonna have no fucking clue about the subtleties, puns, and multiple entendre infused in the literature. Feels bad man... [/end rant]

Team Ryuuko! Fighto! Fighto! Fighto! >:D

Ek8B0.gif

It was one of those rare non-moe series that blew me away.
Right from that amazing OP and before I knew about Kino's secret
(that Kino is a girl)
before the internet totally ruined it.

Goddamnnit. Now I want to watch it again. Luckily I have the series in an easy to find place.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Articalys said:
God damn that was a fast reaction to the news; do you have Yaraon in your RSS reader or just happened to be browsing the blog or what?

Speaking of this. Are there any decent English anime news sites with RSS feeds? Yaraon is cool, but I can't read Japanese.

doomed1 said:
Yeah, cause Makoto's a dirty, incestuous, oblivious doof. Seriously though, Erio's got nuth'n on Ryuuko's HNNNNG factor. Sure, Erio's got the woobie past and the quirky quiet girl appeal, but she still has nothing on Ryuuko's energy of character. But we don't have to be hate'n, we can join forces against the true threat! Team Meme!

you are right!

Oh god, I would die for the light novels, I hate unfinished manga/light novels adaptions

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! 04-05: This show is the definition of hit or miss. Episode 04, I didn't laugh at all. Episode 05 got quite a few chuckles out of me.

RurouniZel said:
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! 04-05: This show is the definition of hit or miss. Episode 04, I didn't laugh at all. Episode 05 got quite a few chuckles out of me.
But the first part of episode 4 was great, one of the better parts of the show so far!

RurouniZel

A Black Falcon said:
But the first part of episode 4 was great, one of the better parts of the show so far!

Actually yes, that's true. The first bit was funny. The rest I didn't particularly care for.

RurouniZel said:
Actually yes, that's true. The first bit was funny. The rest I didn't particularly care for.
But there were two main parts in ep. 4, the outside-the-bath scene, and the one with him and Wanko as she exercised. I'll certainly agree that that second part wasn't exactly one of the better parts of the show, but the first part probably was...

RurouniZel

A Black Falcon said:
But there were two main parts in ep. 4, the outside-the-bath scene, and the one with him and Wanko as she exercised. I'll certainly agree that that second part wasn't exactly one of the better parts of the show, but the first part probably was...

The part with the blond chick (who's name I'm currently forgetting) was funny at first. It just dragged on a little bit too long for my taste. I agree it was amusing, but the Wanko part of the episode completely made me forget the first part, thus I mistakenly said it gave me no laughs. Sorry 'bout that. :/

Erigu

Hitokage said:
K-ON!! Extra 1-2
Probably would have been better with just the first one.
AND NOW I WAIT
But there are three extra episodes? The third one was included in the video releases (and leads into the upcoming movie).

RurouniZel

Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! 06: I've seen several animes with festivals, but this the first I've seen that is inspired by the wang festival I've seen pictures of. I'm surprised more ecchi/hentai animes don't use this as a plot device, to be honest.

Honto ni Atta! Reibai Sensei - final

what a great surprise! the entire show was just a low-budget flash production based from a 4-koma comedy children manga but the last episode was a little gift to the audience.

from this

to

RurouniZel

Penguindrum 17: Alright, this is what I'm talking about! Intrigue, suspense, and Penguins contributing nothing to the story! That's the Penguindrum I love!

Branduil

PdotMichael said:
Honto ni Atta! Reibai Sensei - final

what a great surprise! the entire show was just a low-budget flash production based from a 4-koma comedy children manga but the last episode was a little gift to the audience.

from this

to
First one looks better to be honest. Based just on the still images.

Kimi to Boku ep 6
tumblr_lub4woJlgv1qktlzuo1_500.gif

What in the world was up with that facial expression, lol. Kanamecchi always gets me laughing. So glad Shun cut his hair, looks so much better.
What reason would the upperclassman want to meet with Shun behind the gym? .?

Maji de Watashi 6

I don't really know why I'm still watching this, but the absurdity of penis battles and a Wakamoto beatdown somehow managed to be entertaining.

Cwarrior

Birdy the Mighty Decode ep1

I saw a cool sakuga action video on youtube, so I decide to give this a try apart from that never heard anything about this show before.

Started off as fanservice felmale bounty hunter in space, but that end in 30sec to reveal it’s really about the life of “that” high school boy who’s in every anime.

What is it with japan and putting THAT Same generic Main lead in nearly every anime/manga, at least try to make him look different for god sake like giving him a eyepatch,a Mohawk, mustatch, monocle...or even a hat.

First episode did have nice animation but that’s not enough to keep me interested.

Phi Brain 6

Its Puzzle Time! Episode kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, so emotional.
I thought the puzzle was awesome even though I dont know any Kanji. Gammon falling for Rope and Trap was scary, though I was glad since it meant that Kaito could have the glory of solving a puzzle, since he was out of action last episode. Demon girl was so distressed

wonzo

Banned
Cwarrior said:
Birdy the Mighty Decode ep1
First episode did have nice animation but that’s not enough to keep me interested.
You should stick with it. It gets much better after the first few episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom