• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
The Mad Scientist Who Leapt Through Time 14: I called
Suzuha being John Titor
from the moment she was introduced, and I have never been good at this stuff. :/

Everything that happens in this animu could make a great visual novel! I can't shake off the feeling that they are striding on a lot of characterisation now that I could get by playing the damned vidya, lol.
Well, I think there's lot of plot twists that you can call, kind of like in Madoka. Especially when you start to realise something about the narrative as a whole.
exarkun said:
Id like to start a new anime to watch. Alraedy doing Guilty Crown. Anything this season worth watching?
Chihayafuru

zeroshiki

I'm nearly caught up with Chihayafuru and I have to say, I'd be twice as interested in this show if the game wasn't so deathly dull. There's really no reason at all to believe that people can get excited for this game. At least with Go or Shougi you can somehow suck it up and take it but Karuta is taking a lot of willpower to suspend disbelief.

NewFresh

duckroll said:
I hear they're making 3 Madoka Magica movies. The first two will be a rearrangement of the TV series, while the final movie will be brand new. End of MadokaMagica indeed.
ojnt61.gif

I hate you

zeroshiki said:
I'm nearly caught up with Chihayafuru and I have to say, I'd be twice as interested in this show if the game wasn't so deathly dull. There's really no reason at all to believe that people can get excited for this game. At least with Go or Shougi you can somehow suck it up and take it but Karuta is taking a lot of willpower to suspend disbelief.

But real Japanese people do get excited for karuta.

Shouta

Branduil said:
The main character is certainly bland so far, but the action is very good.

Is there no end to your ducktrolling?

Tsutomu is kind of like that as the series starts. He gets better as the series goes on particularly in the manga. Lots of things happen and he becomes a fairly different character.

Also, I like calling it a duck-trap!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Unknown Soldier said:
I'll be your tsundere if you want, you filthy mongrel. :3
Sorry, Soldier, jman claimed that one a long time ago, to my abject horror. If you're not careful, he might gut ya. >__>

sonicmj1

Ben-to 05

Now the plot is in motion. I look forward to Sato uniting Western Wolves for glory, pride, and respect.

Still hitting all the right notes. I much prefer the sort of humor drawn from Sato's post-battle experiences to the stuff in 4 that I didn't like as much. Wishful thinking and misunderstandings.

I hope there'll be more fighting next week.

mAcOdIn said:
It was very by the numbers, the numbers are always, male is being chased for an idiotic reason, male somehow loses clothes, already an extremely contrived situation, seeks refuge amongst women who instead of giving him an almost normal set of clothes like some fucking sweat pants, normal pants or really anything passable the only thing they hand over is a dress and then the male proceeds to flee again and forgets he's in women's clothing and shows up somewhere else to everyone's enjoyment. Yeah, Ben-to followed it to a t.

I'm no expert on crossdressing scenarios in anime, but that's not a common situation in my experience.

This is also the most inept crossdressing attempt I've seen in a show, both in terms of how it looks and how it is acknowledged. Which was pretty amusing in its own right.

Jexhius said:
I think it's kind of interesting how season 2 isn't simply 'more of the same', they actually go for a change in the formula. Although now they've done that, I think there's nowhere else to go.

Except with mecha's or magical powers.

I would watch the SHIT out of K-ON: Xenoglossia. I'm just saying.

Mirai Nikki 3-5:

Finally caught up on this.

Yuno is seriously hot when she's killing. Seriously. This is probably the finest example of murder moe ever created.

This show is really awesome. It gives me so many awesome vibes of what Higurashi was like, though it goes more for an action aspect as opposed to Higurashi which had more of a horror/suspense aspect. The bloodletting is quite glorious, and they have been able to the keep the censorship to a minimum by clever use of camera angles and cutaways which allows us to revel in our bloodthirst without running afoul that stupid law in Japan that was passed recently. Well, okay, I'm speaking for myself here, I don't know if you guys revel in your bloodthirst. But you should try it sometime, it's quite enjoyable. :3

The OP and ED piss me off a little because they really blatantly spoil the whole show. I already know most of the story because I watched the show on Wikipedia before really watching it but the blatant spoiling in the OP and ED is really just beyond the pale. Yuno would know what to do with the people who animated the OP and ED. Yes, she absolutely would. <3

Jex

Unknown Soldier said:
Mirai Nikki 3-5:
[...]The OP and ED piss me off a little because they really blatantly spoil the whole show. I already know most of the story because I watched the show on Wikipedia before really watching it but the blatant spoiling in the OP and ED is really just beyond the pale. Yuno would know what to do with the people who animated the OP and ED. Yes, she absolutely would. <3
Once you've been tagged I don't think you have to worry about keeping it up!

A Black Falcon said:
Which ones are good, and which evil?

Warning: Xenoglossia spoilers -

Well, um, it's pretty obvious that Ui would be psychotic like Chihaya was. She's so hilariously yandere for her sister that it's kind of silly. Jun would be kind of tsundere towards everybody, first she starts out good but then joins the bad side but she's tsundere to everybody all the time. The core four of Yui, Mio, Mugi, and Ritsu would be good. Sawako will be the big sister just like she is in K-ON and will take Azusa's role. Azunyan would be the one who starts out appearing to be good but turns and joins Ui and Jun and betrays the others, therefore taking Yukiho's role. At the end they would all fight a million clones of Ritsu's brother and then Jun turns good again, thus taking Makoto's role. Ui and Sawako die at the end, then Yui, Mio, Mugi, Ritsu, and Jun fly their mechas into the moe event horizon thing in the asteroid belt to save the world. Yui leaves her apartment at the end and looks up at the sky and says 'Ikimasu.' The end.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Unknown Soldier said:
Mirai Nikki 3-5:

The OP and ED piss me off a little because they really blatantly spoil the whole show.
I'm a Mirai Nikki first-timer and I cannot deduce anything from the OP. The ED is a lot less subtle with
so here's the real lives of all the nutsos
!

Instro

Unknown Soldier said:
The OP and ED piss me off a little because they really blatantly spoil the whole show. I already know most of the story because I watched the show on Wikipedia before really watching it but the blatant spoiling in the OP and ED is really just beyond the pale. Yuno would know what to do with the people who animated the OP and ED. Yes, she absolutely would. <3
How can they blatantly spoil the show if you already spoiled it for yourself by reading wikipedia...?
Branduil said:
Wait, which gif?
The wonders of japan one maybe?

exarkun said:
Id like to start a new anime to watch. Alraedy doing Guilty Crown. Anything this season worth watching?

Mirai Nikki. Though I think you may have read the manga. Either way, it's a fantastic adaptation.

Regulus Tera said:
I'm a Mirai Nikki first-timer and I cannot deduce anything from the OP. The ED is a lot less subtle with
so here's the real lives of all the nutsos
!

Once it happens, you'll have say "Ohhhhhh, so that's what that meant". I personally think it's a nice touch because people not familiar with the story probably won't realize it and at most make baseless speculation. The beauty is all the pieces of the puzzle are already there, but they're laid out in such an abstract way that most won't get it.

Reknoc

Unknown Soldier said:
Mirai Nikki 3-5:

Uh, no. Speaking as someone who hasn't read the manga I don't feel anything is being spoiled. If you want an anime that blatantly spoils something in the OP try One Piece.

Jexhius said:
You must hate a lot of anime!

sometimes I hate the anime industry from the bottom of my heart. I watched in the last 1 1/2 years, before the sommer season, maybe just one or two animemovies.

Without Anne I would still watch Two and a half men instead of Squid Girl...

Reknoc said:
Uh, no. Speaking as someone who hasn't read the manga I don't feel anything is being spoiled. If you want an anime that blatantly spoils something in the OP try One Piece.

I don't watch the shounen animes. Maybe cosmic can explain to me what this is about?

Reknoc

Unknown Soldier said:
I don't watch the shounen animes. Maybe cosmic can explain to me what this is about?

One of the OPs shows one of the villains of the arc being part of the crew way before it's even hinted at that she's not evil.

Unknown Soldier said:

Yeah, lots of shounen series have super spoilery OPs. I probably wouldn't cite One Piece as the best example, but OP 5 in particular spoils some VERY important scenes. Certain other series even blatantly spoil character deaths.

Edit: Ah yeah, OP 3. That one was a pretty major one. I was like "what the fuck, what the hell is that person doing there!?"

Reknoc

Ah I wasn't aware of other ones, certainly not ones that spoil deaths (outside of One Piece's insistence to do so). My Shounen knowledge is woefully lacking :(

Reknoc said:
Ah I wasn't aware of other ones, certainly not ones that spoil deaths (outside of One Piece's insistence to do so). My Shounen knowledge is woefully lacking :(

A few examples:

Katekyo Hitman Reborn Op 2:
Chrome turning into Mukurou, a character introduced as someone completely unrelated
D.Gray-Man Op 3:
STRONGLY implies a certain character's death.
Naruto Shippuden Op 6:
STRONGLY implies Jiraiya's death.
Fairy Tail Op 3:
Juvia Joining the group. This OP plays before Gray even fights her.
Bleach Op 12: EVERYTHING

And this is just off the top of my head.

Reknoc

cosmicblizzard said:
Fairy Tail Op 3:
Juvia Joining the group. This OP plays before Gray even fights her.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA even in its OPs Fairy Tail will never escape its unfair One Piece comparisons!

zeroshiki

Reknoc said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA even in its OPs Fairy Tail will never escape its unfair One Piece comparisons!

Its not really unfair to be honest. I like Fairy Tail quite a bit but just looking at the character designs and even the damn covers to the tanks, you can see where Mashima got his "inspiration".

zeroshiki said:
Its not really unfair to be honest. I like Fairy Tail quite a bit but just looking at the character designs and even the damn covers to the tanks, you can see where Mashima got his "inspiration".

I've always thought of FT as more an "evolution" (for better or worse) of Rave's art. It's definitely possible he took inspiration from OP for that as well, but it wasn't anywhere near as popular back then and I think it's just a coincidence their styles ended up being similar.

Of course that doesn't mean he isn't taking inspiration from it now. There's no way he isn't a fan (very few shounen manga artists aren't these days).

Reknoc

zeroshiki said:

Dragonball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom