• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Phi Brain 05-06: This show is amazing for all the wrong reasons! So his parents were killed by a puzzle, and then he has an episode where he suddenly can't solve puzzles leading to all sorts of angst and shit. This show is just fucking crazy! XD

I love it!

RurouniZel said:
The part with the blond chick (who's name I'm currently forgetting) was funny at first. It just dragged on a little bit too long for my taste. I agree it was amusing, but the Wanko part of the episode completely made me forget the first part, thus I mistakenly said it gave me no laughs. Sorry 'bout that. :/
Um... her name. Chris, was it? I agree that scene went on for a long time (a ten minute long continued nude scene? You don't see that often, in anime...), but I thought it worked and stayed interesting the whole time, as I said in my review of the episode at the time. In short, I particularly liked how his argument for why he should see her naked was actually based on facts, but his constant attempts to peek pretty much undermined the integrity of the ideals he was talking about... like, "he's right, but being hypocritical about it too". Perhaps he'd excuse that by blaming it on his being a modern Japanese person? Also, the part where he said that he wasn't sure whether he liked the modern Japan, given that his father had abandoned it for overseas, was kind of interesting. Apart from that, I wonder what he would have said at the end, if they hadn't been interrupted... of course an interruption was almost certain to happen there, given the genre, but still, it was a good question.

As for episode five, I found his attitude kind of annoying -- caring so, so much that she knocked over that food, it was stupid (I guess the excuse would be that it's because of that one food item of Momoyo's, the girl he likes the most? But it's not like it was very dirty, couldn't you have just picked it up?) -- but apart from that it was a good episode.

Cwarrior said:
Birdy the Mighty Decode ep1

I saw a cool sakuga action video on youtube, so I decide to give this a try apart from that never heard anything about this show before.

Started off as fanservice felmale bounty hunter in space, but that end in 30sec to reveal it’s really about the life of “that” high school boy who’s in every anime.
What is it with japan and putting THAT Same generic Main lead in nearly every anime/manga, at least try to make him look different for god sake like giving him a eyepatch,a Mohawk, mustatch, monocle...or even a hat.

First episode did have nice animation but that’s not enough to keep me interested.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I think about Birdy too -- it's got this interesting sci-fi setting, strong female lead, bounty hunters, villains... and THAT GUY, the real lead, the guy in every anime, and as frustrating and annoying here as ever. I do read the manga, but it's because of him that I don't really want to watch the anime, beyond the episode or two I've watched... he's frustrating enough in manga form, but in the anime it's maybe even more annoying.

wonzo said:
You should stick with it. It gets much better after the first few episodes.
If it's anything like the manga, maybe somewhat, but still it's annoying that he had to be in the show. It'd be so much better if he didn't exist and it was about her...

Articalys

ISML exhibition results:

V9awl.png

Terrible decisions almost everywhere.

Sengoku Basara Two Final

GJ9KM.jpg

An explosive finale that is once again too great for words. Only complaint is it kind of felt like Yukimura became a sidekick while Masamune fought Toyotomi. Both still got incredible fights.

Not much else to say that I haven't already said about the first series. Just as orgasmic. Need to check out the movie.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Steins;GAF 13: Remember my previous complaints about the lack of focus between the character building stuff and the sci-fi plot? Yeah, it totally paid off. I'm a believer now.
Jexhius said:
I don't know what you guys are saying about me, but it's disturbing. For the record, I really believe that ABF outstrips me in terms of word count in 99% of all cases.
I thought the girl reviewer was cute.

RurouniZel

Guilty Crown 02-04: I love the artwork and animation of this show. But so far, that's the only reason I'm watching it. I really don't give a shit about any of the characters yet, thus far they're pretty bland and uninteresting. So far, anyway.

Articalys said:
ISML exhibition results:

http://i.imgur.com/V9awl.png[IMG]

Terrible decisions almost everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Chihaya over Azusa? Unforgivable!

Hitokage said:
K-ON!! Extra 1-2

Probably would have been better with just the first one.

AND NOW I WAIT

The most glorious moment in anime's history, the moment for which the universe was created, is approaching fast! K-ON MOVIE INCOMING

RurouniZel

Unknown Soldier said:
The most glorious moment in anime's history, the moment for which the universe was created, is approaching fast! K-ON MOVIE INCOMING

And then... the wait. As much as I want to see it I can't spend $1,000 on a plane ticket just to see a movie. >> Esp. since I was in Japan earlier in the year anyway to visit friends, where I did see the 15th Detective Conan movie. Seeing it on the big screen was a dream come true.

Regulus Tera said:
Steins;GAF 13: Remember my previous complaints about the lack of focus between the character building stuff and the sci-fi plot? Yeah, it totally paid off. I'm a believer now.

I thought the girl reviewer was cute.

Welcome to club Steins;Gate.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Unknown Soldier said:
I'm hopelessly addicted to Küsö Mesorogiwi, the fucking awesome pop-metal OP for Mirai Nikki. I'm not sure what's more addicting, Yuno or this OP!

Yandere is Best Dere!
Murder Moe is Best Moe!
Those strings in the middle sound like something out of a PSX-era jRPG.

RurouniZel

Mature said:
I envy you. Though I wouldn't be able to understand anything. =/

Well, to be fair, the 15th movie is heavier on the action than the dialogue, so I lucked out and understood about 60-70% of it. The specific details were lost, but coupled with the visual aid I was able to figure the remaining portion out. ^^

NewFresh

Unknown Soldier said:
The only way this could be good is if they go all Sid Vicious, start drinking heavily and doing drugs. They are in London after all.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
EmmanuelMunoz said:
The only way this could be good is if they go all Sid Vicious, start drinking heavily and doing drugs. They are in London after all.

So basically K-On turns into something like NANA?

That'd be the best anime movie of all time.

Dresden

EmmanuelMunoz said:
What'll probably happen instead is the keions will start saying 'chap' and 'bloke' every other sentence. It'll be like, naruhodo, chappu.

zeroshiki

RurouniZel said:
And then... the wait. As much as I want to see it I can't spend $1,000 on a plane ticket just to see a movie. >> Esp. since I was in Japan earlier in the year anyway to visit friends, where I did see the 15th Detective Conan movie. Seeing it on the big screen was a dream come true.

And you dare call yourself a fan?! :O

RurouniZel

Dresden said:
What'll probably happen instead is the keions will start saying 'chap' and 'bloke' every other sentence. It'll be like, naruhodo, chappu.

So like that episode where Ritsu kept trying to speak in Kansai dialect 'cause they were in Kyoto?

zeroshiki said:
And you dare call yourself a fan?! :O

I know, I'm ashamed of myself.

*commits seppuku*

Huh, I expected that to hurt more.

Regulus Tera said:

Yeah, the B-side track is really awesome as well. It's important for there to be ominous Latin choruses and random counting in German in these anime songs, that's what makes them awesome. See Kata Tsubasa no Tori, OP for Umineko for further information. Umineko's OP has these random Italian choruses and you're like "I don't know what the fuck is going on but it's AWESOME!" everytime the song gets to those parts.

The ominous Latin choruses are actually hilariously prosaic:
http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/mirainikki/kuusoumesorogii.htm

Just a random listing of names of Greco-Roman gods/goddesses. LOL.

OH FUCK, I get it now!

Each of the 13 participants in the Future Diary survival game represents one of the 13 Greco-Roman gods/goddesses mentioned in the song! Yuno's obviously supposed to be Juno (Hera), the wife of Zeus (Jupiter) in Greco-Roman mythology! I wonder if this means that poor Yukki is supposed to be Zeus. That's kind of funny if you think about it too long. Who the other participants are supposed to be, well, I guess we'll see. :3

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Because it is! I don't know, it definitely works most of the time. :)
You're a broken man, lol.
A Black Falcon said:
And bah, even if this situation was contrived, it wasn't by-the-numbers, I can't think of many other crossdressing scenarios quite like Ben-To's. :lol
It was very by the numbers, the numbers are always, male is being chased for an idiotic reason, male somehow loses clothes, already an extremely contrived situation, seeks refuge amongst women who instead of giving him an almost normal set of clothes like some fucking sweat pants, normal pants or really anything passable the only thing they hand over is a dress and then the male proceeds to flee again and forgets he's in women's clothing and shows up somewhere else to everyone's enjoyment. Yeah, Ben-to followed it to a t.
A Black Falcon said:
I'd probably guess that it's the latter, but it doesn't hurt the scene too much really. Sure it's for a completely stupid reason, but it's a completely stupid show, so it fits.
Sure but hsouldn't we strive for better?
A Black Falcon said:
But was the degree of beating he gave the MC really within the rules either? He clearly was trying to go over the top and go too far in order to provoke them and the other side, and succeeded, but I'd think that those facts would overrule things like what you just say.
Lololololol.

What kind of hypocrite are you calling my Ice Witch? Lets not forget that Saito is now actually truly a part of these ben-to fights but before he was every one of his forays into the convenience store with absolutely NO pre-understanding of what was going down ended with him getting knocked the fuck out mercilessly by the Ice-Witch and now that he knows about it and is a willing participant the fight should end differently? If Dogs live by an already strict code wouldn't Wolves live by an even harsher one?

Instro

Maji de Watashi ni Koi 6

That was so shameless, but hilarious. Also Wakamoto showing up and going full Wakamoto was perfect.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Mad Scientist Who Leapt Through Time 14: I called
Suzuha being John Titor
from the moment she was introduced, and I have never been good at this stuff. :/

Everything that happens in this animu could make a great visual novel! I can't shake off the feeling that they are striding on a lot of characterisation now that I could get by playing the damned vidya, lol.

Dresden

Regulus Tera said:
The Mad Scientist Who Leapt Through Time 14: I called
Suzuha being John Titor
from the moment she was introduced, and I have never been good at this stuff. :/

Everything that happens in this animu sounds like it could make a great visual novel! I can't shake off the feeling that they are striding on a lot of characterisation now that I could get by playing the damned vidya, lol.
The game's translation is done but it's stuck in editing hell, apparently. Hopefully they'll get it out by the end of the year.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Articalys said:
ISML exhibition results:

V9awl.png

Terrible decisions almost everywhere.
Go Aria! Kick some over-pretentious ass! >:D

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm hopelessly addicted to Küsö Mesorogiwi, the fucking awesome pop-metal OP for Mirai Nikki. I'm not sure what's more addicting, Yuno or this OP!

Yandere is Best Dere!
Murder Moe is Best Moe!
Pfft, please. Yandere is the anti-moe. Everyone knows tsun... *looks at tag* Uh... Nevermind...

Branduil

Trojita said:
WTF at Mugi's oversized saggy breasts.
I don't know what kind of strange ideas you have about women but they seem quite normal to me as far as anime goes. Not that I try to pay too much attention to that kind of thing. And I don't recall K-on overplaying that angle too much which is a positive thing.

mAcOdIn said:
You're a broken man, lol.
By your definition, probably so.

It was very by the numbers, the numbers are always, male is being chased for an idiotic reason, male somehow loses clothes, already an extremely contrived situation, seeks refuge amongst women who instead of giving him an almost normal set of clothes like some fucking sweat pants, normal pants or really anything passable the only thing they hand over is a dress and then the male proceeds to flee again and forgets he's in women's clothing and shows up somewhere else to everyone's enjoyment. Yeah, Ben-to followed it to a t.
No, when I think of a crossdressing scenario, my first thought is a guy dressing as a girl because a girl convinced him to and he agreed (or, more rarely, because he actually wants to), not because he has no choice. You are right that there are some of that type, but in recent years, I think the former type is the more common one...

Sure but hsouldn't we strive for better?
Sure, yeah, but if it's funny, I can overlook things like that, sometimes anyway.

Lololololol.

What kind of hypocrite are you calling my Ice Witch? Lets not forget that Saito is now actually truly a part of these ben-to fights but before he was every one of his forays into the convenience store with absolutely NO pre-understanding of what was going down ended with him getting knocked the fuck out mercilessly by the Ice-Witch and now that he knows about it and is a willing participant the fight should end differently? If Dogs live by an already strict code wouldn't Wolves live by an even harsher one?
But between the girls' reactions and the words the guy beating him were saying, it sure seemed like the show was trying to make clear that this was a worse than normal beating... and also, the guy wasn't even trying to get a bento, he was just beating him in order to beat him up and hurt him, and make people angry. Those are different situations.

duckroll

I hear they're making 3 Madoka Magica movies. The first two will be a rearrangement of the TV series, while the final movie will be brand new. End of MadokaMagica indeed.

Branduil

Cwarrior said:
Birdy the Mighty Decode ep1

I saw a cool sakuga action video on youtube, so I decide to give this a try apart from that never heard anything about this show before.

Started off as fanservice felmale bounty hunter in space, but that end in 30sec to reveal it’s really about the life of “that” high school boy who’s in every anime.

What is it with japan and putting THAT Same generic Main lead in nearly every anime/manga, at least try to make him look different for god sake like giving him a eyepatch,a Mohawk, mustatch, monocle...or even a hat.

First episode did have nice animation but that’s not enough to keep me interested.
The main character is certainly bland so far, but the action is very good.
duckroll said:
I hear they're making 3 Madoka Magica movies. The first two will be a rearrangement of the TV series, while the final movie will be brand new. End of MadokaMagica indeed.
Is there no end to your ducktrolling?

Jex

Hitokage said:
The second season trades the madcap energy for something more deliberate, but I think it's a net gain overall.
I think it's kind of interesting how season 2 isn't simply 'more of the same', they actually go for a change in the formula. Although now they've done that, I think there's nowhere else to go.

Except with mecha's or magical powers.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I think it's kind of interesting how season 2 isn't simply 'more of the same', they actually go for a change in the formula. Although now they've done that, I think there's nowhere else to go.

Except with mecha's or magical powers.
Or your dear homeland.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
Hitokage ban this man!

Jex

Dresden said:
If they don't hire proper English actors do the voices of other characters I will be disappointed. I've been treated with actual real English actors in my anime now, for example, in Sacred Seven, so this trend must continue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom