• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Towa no Quon 3

I'm getting very frustrated now. Why did BONES animate a couple of beautiful looking fights in part 1 if parts 2 and 3 were going to have as little to no action as possible? I mean, the story here isn't bad, but it's extremely rote and only really forgivable if you've got those aforementioned badass fights to make it entertaining. Without them, this whole thing is just boring; neither good or bad, just dull.

Dynedom

I am now browsing Anidb and finding the most hilarious anime descriptions based on low-rated shows.

First up: Copihan

AniDB said:
Tokyo, 2034A.D.

The march of modernization has continued unfettered, and many things has changed. One example is money. In the year 2029, an electronic money system was introduced nationwide and, as a result, people no longer carry cash on their persons. The money is controlled by someone whose identity is unknown to the average person. All that matters to the average person is the question "How much can I spend this month?" and ensuring that they don't spend more than they have available.

~ translated and adapted from official site by Cranston

The project is a slapstick school comedy set in Tokyo in 2034.

Wut fux

damn that's nice

any animes besides puella magi that came out earlier this year? haven't seen anything so any recommendations would be appreciated...

Dororon Enma-kun Meramera, Tiger & Bunny, Kaiji s2, [C], Sket Dance, Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san, Toriko, Deadman Wonderland. This year has been surprisingly solid.

it's ok I didn't watch any last year either.

PANTY AND STOCKING WITH GARTER BELT!

damn that's nice

Dororon Enma-kun Meramera, Tiger & Bunny, Kaiji s2, [C], Sket Dance, Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san, Toriko, Deadman Wonderland. This year has been surprisingly solid.

PANTY AND STOCKING WITH GARTER BELT!

already got it :3

also thanks guys i have about 15-20 different shows now... i think i'm almost ready... but not quite yet

edit: i think im ready

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
People still care about Haruhi?

The best Haruhi, yes.

SujnE.jpg

zeroshiki

Its actually really boring.

I mean, I can stand shows with nothing happening. Slice of life is one of my favorite genres. But Denpa is just... really really bland.

Branduil

Mawaru Penguin Drum 1

Well... it was certainly interesting. From a formal point, I enjoyed the narrative motifs and most of the perspective styles. The first person shot with the penguins didn't really do it for me. Focus in and out was too fast and the camera sway too pronounced. Ended up being annoying rather than entertaining or in any other way adding to the experience. Primary issue so far is a lack of focus. The elements were there and they were good individually, but it didn't add up all the way. I'll see about episode 2, but it's bad form of a pilot not to give a more consistent taste of the show you're about to watch.

c2m5e.gif

You have no idea what you're in for.

Yeah, do you know what episode shit gets real? I don't feel like being confused as to why it gets all melodrama or anything. There's a good deal of subtle mood dissonance going on, so the SERIOUS BUSINESS stuff doesn't really surprise me, but again, that falls under focus, which brings me to...

Mawaru Penguin Drum 2

Silly Mirai Nikki, you're not supposed to air until the season after this episode aired. Again, my issues with lack of focus come up. This mood dissonance they're pushing is actually really well done, subtle and can be cause for triple-takes. The problem is that this dissonance doesn't seem to be there for anything more than the sake of dissonance. I really can't see much narrative purpose in it. For right now, I suppose I'll give the benefit of the doubt since pretty much everyone else is saying how unpredictable the show is, but with the comedy taking a back-seat, I really do wonder what they're going to do with it (along with that whole pithy "I hate/love fate" line).

There is clearly a reason for it.

i like pizza and i like feet...

deadman wonderland also looks like it's going to be really good but i should seriously stop i definitely have 20 different series now

i'll be back when my journey is complete

Just a warning, but plenty people here will try to dissuade you from starting Deadman Wonderland. I'll just say watch the first episode despite some posters going crazy with hyperbole and calling it the worst anime ever. If you share their mindset, by all means drop it. If not, don't let them get to you.

Edit: Goddamit Icarus!

Branduil

It has Kana Hanazawa. It can't be all bad.

Time to repost my Deadman Wonderland 1 review:

An absurdist masterpiece. By cleverly subverting our expectations of a story with causal believability, the viewer is forced to examine the nonsensical nature of our own universe. After all, stories where events always proceed in a logical manner are the true unbelievable ones. We live in a crazy world, and Deadman Wonderland recognizes and exploits that truth by hyperbolizing and contextualizing our inexplicable reality. By presenting a world where things like school field trips to prison amusement parks exist, the viewer is encouraged to ponder the bread and circuses of our own, "civilized" age.

The scene where the main character "confesses" to his crime is a prime example of the anime's genius. It is truly an unbelievable scene, but when you think about, is it really that unusual? In the aftermath of a tragedy, people become desperate for a scapegoat, and the sacrificial lamb must be bled.

When Ganta plaintively cries "this can't be happening!", he truly speaks for all of us. How else can we respond to the mad terror of this world? As the female captain of the guards said, "life can be crazy sometimes. There's no escaping reality." Keen insight, Makina. Keen, piercing insight.

Indeed, just look at the pivotal event in the opening. A flying figure from nowhere, inexplicably slaughtering a class of high school students. This scene represents the incomprehensible randomness of tragedy. It is foolhardy to try to understand why things happen, or assign blame for the tangled causality of our universe.

Why is an albino girl in a bizarrely-patterned jumpsuit suddenly trying to kill Ganta? Why suddenly insert a scene with a prisoner holding someone hostage and then a revelation of the effects of candy in such an inappropriate place in the episode? The point is, it doesn't matter. Just as one cannot perceive the sound of one-hand-clapping, the actions of any given person cannot be truly understood, even yourself. We are all but puppets of the quantum fluctuations of the microverse.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
c2m5e.gif

You have no idea what you're in for.

Twists and genre shifts are not an excuse for poor first episode cohesion. Knowing what I'm in for or not doesn't change that. If I was watching it from when the first episode aired, I might have dropped it right then.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 3
And so more hints are given as the nature of Ringo's diary. Episode gave a deeper understanding of Ringo and her motivations. I know well enough not to trust my suspicions about the
Future Diary
and its nature (mundane? preternatural? I don't really care. Either one creates different narrative paths). This arc does seem to have a message about those who chase fate blindly though. What's interesting to me is whether they'll continue it as an aesop or a fairy tale. I suppose we'll see as time goes on.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Masako Ikuhara can hit me with her his balls whenever she wants. <3
Twists and genre shifts are not an excuse for poor first episode cohesion. Knowing what I'm in for or not doesn't change that. If I was watching it from when the first episode aired, I might have dropped it right then.
I actually thought the first episode was very well done from the perspective of piking up the audience's curiosity by introducing a dissonance of tone in quick succession. The pilot is also congruent with the rest of the show and its ability to juggle the mysterious and the heartbreaking with comedy for comedy's sake -even in those instances there's usually something going on in the background that justifies some of the juvenile jokes that come with the inclusion of the penguins.

I would not call it poor at all. Penguindrum's first episode was the only pilot this year that got me hooked on a show instantly, apart from Usagi Drop.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mirai Nikki 08: Introducing characters and immediately putting them into danger without giving the audience any insight into them is a sure way to make the viewer not give a shit about their safety. The plot twist at the end didn't help make this episode feel lazy -I came up with the conclusion that
Hinata was a diary owner the moment she started gettin gall lovey dovey with Yukki
. If there's one constant about this animu is that everyone save Yukki and Yuno are disposable.

Sadly, this episode did not have much in the way of Yuno to keep the quality up.
Ohana am sad.
I never watched that. I don't think I ever will after the negativity that show got!

I'm thinking about buying this 64" Samsung plasma HDTV that is on Amazon Cyber Monday Lightning Deal right now.

I think watching anime on this TV would be quite enjoyable.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mawaru Penguin Drum 4
Really classy episode with all the paper cut-out drama. It interests me that Ringo doesn't really see past her
obsession with the teacher to actually see how open her "fate" really is either
. Follows the vein of the show as well, considering how they frame things and keep certain things open to interpretation, irregardless of if they matter in the long run or not.

Under-stated motif of the episode: The Visible Voyeur. Those bird-watchers were all strangely conspicuous. Also, I've been watching the ED to see the change over time. Curious choices, and usually quite subtle...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Despite some weak episodes in the middle, Hanasaku Iroha ended up being a very worthwhile show. You should watch it.
Oh wait I did watch that. I mistook it for AnoHana lol.

HanaIro's first episode was entertaining, but nowhere near the balls-crushing awesomeness of ROCK OVER JAPAN.
Mawaru Penguin Drum 4
Really classy episode with all the paper cut-out drama. It interests me that Ringo doesn't really see past her
obsession with the teacher to actually see how open her "fate" really is either
. Follows the vein of the show as well, considering how they frame things and keep certain things open to interpretation, irregardless of if they matter in the long run or not.
Surely you mean "respective"? "With regard to"?

Sorry, that word bothers me a lot.

Mirai Nikki 08: Introducing characters and immediately putting them into danger without giving the audience any insight into them is a sure way to make the viewer not give a shit about their safety. The plot twist at the end didn't help make this episode feel lazy -I came up with the conclusion that
Hinata was a diary owner the moment she started gettin gall lovey dovey with Yukki
. If there's one constant about this animu is that everyone save Yukki and Yuno are disposable.

Hmmmm.......

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nothing can beat Seizon Senryaku. Nevertheless, Hanasaku Iroha had one of the best-directed first episodes of any TV show this year, along with Usagi Drop and Chihayafuru.
Ohana's shounen no haato wasn't truly apparent until the second episode. Before that I couldn't take her as anything but a clueless klutzy brat. It may have been a superficial look of her character, but it didn't win me over in the pilot, is what I am saying.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12082922/hanasaku/Slap.gif

Most people were pretty positive about it. Especially the people whose opinions actually matter.
Pfft, monocle people are overrated.
That's a pretty bad mistake to make.
It's the "Ohana" part that did me over. :(
Actually, the proper synonym would be "regardless."

Which is why irregardless is an utterly pointless word.
It wouldn't be Regulus Tera without RT over-thinking it!

Branduil

Ohana's shounen no haato wasn't truly apparent until the second episode. Before that I couldn't take her as anything but a clueless klutzy brat. It may have been a superficial look of her character, but it didn't win me over in the pilot, is what I am saying.

Pfft, monocle people are overrated.

It's the "Ohana" part that did me over. :(

I still remember the name of the Ohana I saw that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom