• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toriko 33

No wonder not everyone in the Toriko world is obese. All these fuckers with the gourmet cells keep eating up everything.

There are a few ways this battle could play out. Since the straw guy flew off, Tommyrod could easily escape and leave his trump card for another battle. On the other hand, Toriko really needs to beat someone from the Gourmet Corp or they'll continue to stay stationary while occasionally bumping into the main cast. I think Toriko will get a complete victory, though it definitely won't be easy.

cajunator

Banned
And now I watch this:

17bES.gif

My backlog will kill me someday

BEST. Love that series so very much.

Beats

I have a question about anime on DVD. Would they upscale well on a 52 inch TV? I have some anime on blu ray, and they mostly look really good, but there's not that much of a selection on blu ray. I'd like to get some older stuff like Giant Robo, and Now and Then, Here and There.

cajunator

Banned
I have a question about anime on DVD. Would they upscale well on a 52 inch TV? I have some anime on blu ray, and they mostly look really good, but there's not that much of a selection on blu ray. I'd like to get some older stuff like Giant Robo, and Now and Then, Here and There.

The quality of Now and then Here or there discs is pretty bad, but the series is worth collecting however you find it. Its not on BR though.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It depends on the quality of the DVD and the upscaling capabilities of your player

Some of the best mechanical animations ever. I guess I will Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean after this.

Sooo... two new shows for my backlog. I hate me!

cajunator

Banned
Some of the best mechanical animations ever. I guess I will Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean after this.

Sooo... two new shows for my backlog. I hate me!

Oooh. good times ahead. Riding Bean and Gunsmith Cats are kind of connected. Goddamn I love that era of anime. I watched all of those on VHS way back when.

Beats

It depends on the quality of the DVD and the upscaling capabilities of your player

I'm using a PS3 to watch movies/shows which seems to upscale dvds well from what I've read.

The quality of Now and then Here or there discs is pretty bad, but the series is worth collecting however you find it. Its not on BR though.

Darn that sucks. I'll probably get it anyway. There's no master list of "good quality" anime dvds is there?

cajunator

Banned
pizzaroll probably has one on one of his infinite tabs.

You should totally buy the remastered Revolutionary Girl Utena discs, by the way. They look awesome and I am a totally unbiased source~

YES. HE SHOULD.
The last volume ships with the Signet ring too. I love me some Utena Bling. Its so fabulous.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Oooh. good times ahead. Riding Bean and Gunsmith Cats are kind of connected. Goddamn I love that era of anime. I watched all of those on VHS way back when.

I still have some of my old anime VHS too. Tenchi is laying around somewhere, but I know I sold a lot of it too when I upgraded to DVD. I kind of regret that now. :/

EDIT: And I'm down for just about anything Kosuke Fujishima. I even liked Piano.

cajunator

Banned
I only bought a couple. tape 1 of Evangelion, and a really shitty OVA called Iczelion. Do not watch Iczelion. It is HNNNGH but it has Nagisa and she is a whiny fucking bitch. I rooted for the bad guys to kill her but alas that didnt happen.

I still have some of my old anime VHS too. Tenchi is laying around somewhere, but I know I sold a lot of it too when I upgraded to DVD. I kind of regret that now. :/

EDIT: And I'm down for just about anything Kosuke Fujishima. I even liked Piano.

You liked Piano? You can be my nakama.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mawaru Penguin Drum 1

Well... it was certainly interesting. From a formal point, I enjoyed the narrative motifs and most of the perspective styles. The first person shot with the penguins didn't really do it for me. Focus in and out was too fast and the camera sway too pronounced. Ended up being annoying rather than entertaining or in any other way adding to the experience. Primary issue so far is a lack of focus. The elements were there and they were good individually, but it didn't add up all the way. I'll see about episode 2, but it's bad form of a pilot not to give a more consistent taste of the show you're about to watch.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 1

Well... it was certainly interesting. From a formal point, I enjoyed the narrative motifs and most of the perspective styles. The first person shot with the penguins didn't really do it for me. Focus in and out was too fast and the camera sway too pronounced. Ended up being annoying rather than entertaining or in any other way adding to the experience. Primary issue so far is a lack of focus. The elements were there and they were good individually, but it didn't add up all the way. I'll see about episode 2, but it's bad form of a pilot not to give a more consistent taste of the show you're about to watch.

Be warned, the show throws comedy out the window for a good part of the series, then reinserts it a bit. It is still a wonderful show in my opinion.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Be warned, the show throws comedy out the window for a good part of the series, then reinserts it a bit. It is still a wonderful show in my opinion.

Yeah, do you know what episode shit gets real? I don't feel like being confused as to why it gets all melodrama or anything. There's a good deal of subtle mood dissonance going on, so the SERIOUS BUSINESS stuff doesn't really surprise me, but again, that falls under focus, which brings me to...

Mawaru Penguin Drum 2

Silly Mirai Nikki, you're not supposed to air until the season after this episode aired. Again, my issues with lack of focus come up. This mood dissonance they're pushing is actually really well done, subtle and can be cause for triple-takes. The problem is that this dissonance doesn't seem to be there for anything more than the sake of dissonance. I really can't see much narrative purpose in it. For right now, I suppose I'll give the benefit of the doubt since pretty much everyone else is saying how unpredictable the show is, but with the comedy taking a back-seat, I really do wonder what they're going to do with it (along with that whole pithy "I hate/love fate" line).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Steins;Gate 22: Now this is more like it. If you are gonna play the fanservice angle you have to develop it a bit more. It wasn't subtle at all, but
Christina's kiss with Kyouma
feels like a pay-off after all the shit they have been through. When the romantic elements started happening with all the side cast it came out as a vain attempt to appease some of the shippers and not as a way to enhance Kyouma's role in keeping this band of misfits together. If anything, it was detrimental to the experience, since they stopped acting like actual people and became fully fledged out objects of desire for the audience to fap to.

Great episode nevertheless. The use of music in this show never stops delighting me.
I do wish I could meet some of you guys and hang out.
I live in a GAF desert though.
If I hung out with any of you I would end up getting a restraining order by the end of the day.

Yeah, do you know what episode shit gets real? I don't feel like being confused as to why it gets all melodrama or anything. There's a good deal of subtle mood dissonance going on, so the SERIOUS BUSINESS stuff doesn't really surprise me, but again, that falls under focus, which brings me to...

Mawaru Penguin Drum 2

Silly Mirai Nikki, you're not supposed to air until the season after this episode aired. Again, my issues with lack of focus come up. This mood dissonance they're pushing is actually really well done, subtle and can be cause for triple-takes. The problem is that this dissonance doesn't seem to be there for anything more than the sake of dissonance. I really can't see much narrative purpose in it. For right now, I suppose I'll give the benefit of the doubt since pretty much everyone else is saying how unpredictable the show is, but with the comedy taking a back-seat, I really do wonder what they're going to do with it (along with that whole pithy "I hate/love fate" line).

The series starts showing its hand around episode 9, and then again at episode 12/13. There is a definite narrative purpose behind what's going on, but it's more obvious in retrospect.

Dynedom

I like Solty Rei.

To be fair, I never watched the whole series. I saw a few episodes and kinda bailed. It wasn't offensive but it seemed uninteresting and I wasn't in the mood.

One odd thing I did like about Solty Rei was her voice in the English dub. It was pretty :cajun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom