• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
I actually thought the first episode was very well done from the perspective of piking up the audience's curiosity by introducing a dissonance of tone in quick succession.

tone dissonance is an anime pet peeve of mine, so the style alone is what is keeping me up to date.

jman2050

Working!! 1-6

I like it. Any time they're not milking the same Inami joke ad nauseum it's pretty good. Poplar is pretty blatant moebait
and I'm completely okay with this

Sota just needs to embrace his inner lolicon.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What negativity? You mean, you listen to firehawk?

Edit: Oh ok, you cleared it up. That's a pretty bad mistake to make, though.
I still remember the name of the Ohana I saw that day.
I blame Japanese abbreviations. How the fuck am I supposed to know something like hagaren means Fullmetal Alchemist?
I have bad news for you there. You're not one of the people here whose opinions actually matter.
I-I respect and fully appreciate Branduil's opinions...

I-It's not like I like him or anything though!
You didn't watch the movie? The movie was a 9/10
It could have been a 10 had it not been three fucking hours long.

zeroshiki

I blame Japanese abbreviations. How the fuck am I supposed to know something like hagaren means Fullmetal Alchemist?

I-I respect and fully appreciate Branduil's opinions...

I-It's not like I like him or anything though!

At least Hagaren is an abbreviation of the full title of FMA. Haganai is the worst I've ever seen since it has nothing to do with the title of Boku ha tomodachi ga sukunai at all. Plus the the "ha" is stupid, it should be "wa".

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Surely you mean "respective"? "With regard to"?

Sorry, that word bothers me a lot.

No, irregardless, without regard for. There are occasionally little things that have little impact and bigger things that have bigger impact framed in such a way that there are several possibilities to the exact context. Most everything matters in some way, it's not as bad as Evangelion and all its false symbolism, but there's not much direct focus on what needs to be framed ambiguously and what needs to be framed specifically. Though I consider that a strength since it's executed well without constantly leaving the audience in the dark.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 5
Man, that was a close call that episode, but
the truck chase and drag scene
went on for much longer than it needed to. I would much rather have had a deeper fleshing out of Ringo's relation to her
Future Diary
, sort of some character development and fleshing out. I suppose that's coming next episode, but some 3rd person show rather than tell would have been a strong point of the episode.

Uchip

Banned
No, irregardless, without regard for. There are occasionally little things that have little impact and bigger things that have bigger impact framed in such a way that there are several possibilities to the exact context. Most everything matters in some way, it's not as bad as Evangelion and all its false symbolism, but there's not much direct focus on what needs to be framed ambiguously and what needs to be framed specifically. Though I consider that a strength since it's executed well without constantly leaving the audience in the dark.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 5
Man, that was a close call that episode, but
the truck chase and drag scene
went on for much longer than it needed to. I would much rather have had a deeper fleshing out of Ringo's relation to her
Future Diary
, sort of some character development and fleshing out. I suppose that's coming next episode, but some 3rd person show rather than tell would have been a strong point of the episode.

the truck scene
dragged on
that scene was trying to be serious but instead just came off as cartoony

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Nothing can beat Seizon Senryaku.

Seizon Senryakyubei

6SCQA.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Squid Girl and the Chamber of Seashells 07: Pretty meh episode until the last segment. Ika-chan acting like a normal girl may not be high on the comedy factor, but such slice-of-life occasions bring out the child-like quality of her that is moé as fuck -the Mini-Ika skits are great precisely because she is a lot more entertaining character when she acts upon her curiosity and not on her egocentricity. There may not have been many laughs tonight, but I ended up smiling at the end anyway.

Too bad about the dull animation!
So, regardless.

Jex

I actually thought the first episode was very well done from the perspective of piking up the audience's curiosity by introducing a dissonance of tone in quick succession. The pilot is also congruent with the rest of the show and its ability to juggle the mysterious and the heartbreaking with comedy for comedy's sake -even in those instances there's usually something going on in the background that justifies some of the juvenile jokes that come with the inclusion of the penguins.

I would not call it poor at all. Penguindrum's first episode was the only pilot this year that got me hooked on a show instantly, apart from Usagi Drop.
While I don't agree with everything you've said I certainly would agree that the first episode is a good episode, as in, well constructed. While watching I never really noticed any problems with it.

There's also been a few good pilot episodes this year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
First episode of Ohana was meh, it got better, then worse, then better, then worse, then better. And that is kind of how it went.

I'd give it a watch. Very uneven, normally dependent on the character of focus for the episode, but some great episodes and a fantastic ending.

hellclerk

So, regardless.

If you want to be a stickler. Nonstandard forms are still forms.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 6
Who said this serioused up at 9? I can already feel the tone changing for the dramatic, and there's nothing pervy/moronic/hungry/bishoujo penguin comic relief can do about it. In fact if anything, all of the "comedy" is put up to a pretty stark context within Ringo's
continuing downward spiral. And now her obsession took a slightly more tragic turn as well. This won't bode well if (when?) this gets exposed and the teacher inevitably rejects her because Ringo can't replace her sister
. I do like how they continue to frame Ringo's perceptions in the abstract. It really does well to get into her state of mind while these events go on and provides her perspective without actually having to tell the audience.

Also, I liked the Death Note nod in there, as if to joke about the clear Mirai Nikki nod as well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
While I don't agree with everything you've said I certainly would agree that the first episode is a good episode, as in, well constructed. While watching I never really noticed any problems with it.

There's also been a few good pilot episodes this year.
A good pilot for me is one that actually makes me eager to watch more after the credits roll. Penguindrum's did that and keeps doing it week in and out.
If you want to be a stickler. Nonstandard forms are still forms.
It's basically a double negative. I get the intention, but it borks my brain bad, man.
Also, I liked the Death Note nod in there, as if to joke about the clear Mirai Nikki nod as well.
I hadn't thought of the Mirai Nikki connections until you pointed them out, but I guess it's not as mind-boggling considering the medium.

Jex

First episode of Ohana was meh, it got better, then worse, then better, then worse, then better. And that is kind of how it went.

I'd give it a watch. Very uneven, normally dependent on the character of focus for the episode, but some great episodes and a fantastic ending.

I've said it before but: the first episode of Hansaku Iroha is one of the best episodes of the year and one of the best 'pilot' episodes for an anime series. The execution in nearly all areas is masterful.
AnimeGAF truly is an endless supply of doujin material.

Now this is just sounding creepy.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Most people were pretty positive about it. Especially the people whose opinions actually matter.

That's a pretty bad mistake to make.
Having only watched maybe ten episodes I left it feeling my life would be fulfilled more elsewhere. But I'm not big on melodrama slice of life stuff so I guess other people might be more into it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've said it before but: the first episode of Hansaku Iroha is one of the best episodes of the year and one of the best 'pilot' episodes for an anime series. The execution in nearly all areas is masterful.

Absolutely. It feels more movie quality than TV quality. Both it and the last episode show that Masahiro Ando is a directing force to be reckoned with.

hellclerk

It's basically a double negative. I get the intention, but it borks my brain bad, man.
Deal with it. My love of the colloquial ain't never gonna change. >:D

ahhh Denpa Onna... good times, an great anime with an great openingsong

http://i.imgur.com/PtUIB.gif[IMG]

But everyone has to make a deecision Team Erio or Team Ryuko? no compromise possible...[/QUOTE]

Brofist on the song. Only OP this year I can really rock out to.

But you're Team Erio aren't you... *sigh* I wish we didn't have to fight, because the clear dog of an MC doesn't deserve the supreme moe of Team Ryuuko, but alas, Ryuuko cannot lose!
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JP0L0.gif

Jex

I think MPD handles tonal shifts beautifully. B/c of the excellent editing I feel like it is less a chaotic jumble and more like mixing cheese and fruit together to complement each other in ways you didn't think of. Or, uh, something.
So you're saying it has better editing than Fractale and Yami?
She's still influential enough to inspire the writer of the TGWLTT novel.
So Haruhi is killing literature?

neoanarch

Now this is just sounding creepy.

I dropped Iroha somewhere in the teens. Do I miss anything if I skip everything from after the mother reviews the hotel to the last few episodes?

Branduil

So what is Denpa Onna about, besides pizza, foot fetishism, and obligatory head tilts? I've never been able to figure this out.

The truth is that most of the time these shows are only about fulfilling a harem fantasy. Any actual plot or characterization is more or less irrelevant except where it corresponds with moe fetishization.

Jex

Anne of Green Gables 44

I get a bit tired of writing about this show. Partly because it's rather long but also partly because it's really consistent throughout. The characters, the writing, the direction and presentation, it's just a great series throughout it's run. The fact that I can actually relate to these characters and situations because they are reminiscent of things that actually happen to human beings speak volumes about the quality of the shows writing.

While I haven't quite finished the show yet it seem likely that I will rate this as one of the best anime television series ever made. Isa Takahata is an excellent director and the subject matter and tone present across his works is so different from the majority of people working in the anime industry that it's always refreshing to watch something from him.

Defuser

You guys realise Denpa Onna still hasn't finish yet right?
I'm still waiting for the last 2(or 1?) episodes. Fuck you Shaft for being Shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom