• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Wandering Son BD 10 - 11

It's great finally being able to watch the stuff they cut out of the TV run. It's a shame that the interview stuff with Yuki was cut out. I really miss this show :( *adds manga to read list*

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Does anyone else find doomed's analysis of penguin drum and each of its episodes to be a bit off compared to their own experiences? I know I do. It's like he's viewing it through a completely different perspective.

iavi

It's OP10, Defuser. But I love that video, surprisingly. It's actually pretty simple, but the dissonance created between the hiding of her face with the hat and the ultra close up makes for an interesting viewing. Aside from the fact that she's crazy hot, and that guitarist's swag level rocks whole foundations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wandering Son BD 10 - 11

It's great finally being able to watch the stuff they cut out of the TV run. It's a shame that the interview stuff with Yuki was cut out. I really miss this show :( *adds manga to read list*
I really don't know if you should do that, unfortunately. :(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I really don't know if you should do that, unfortunately. :(
Nah don't listen to firehawk12 - the manga is great.>:

Does anyone else find doomed's analysis of penguin drum and each of its episodes to be a bit off compared to their own experiences? I know I do. It's like he's viewing it through a completely different perspective.
I can see where he is coming from with some of his points; however I'd imagine he'd enjoy the show a lot more, if he just took it as "for-the-ride" kind of thing, instead of over-analysing every single detail.:)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I will say, the frequent use of
rape
as a gimmick and the constant tone-shifts (hey, remember
when Himari used to transform every week?
) pretty much killed the show as a show for me. Maybe it'll be one of those things where I'll just remember the last few episodes or something.

Nah don't listen to firehawk12 - the manga is great.>:
It's really not. I think Shimura has no idea what she's doing with Nitorin, so she keeps him as empty as possible. With Aoi Hana, she just got bored with the main couple and decided to just abandon them entirely (as opposed to say, just gracefully ending the manga and creating something new).

zeroshiki

oh come on now you're just doing it on purpose.

before anyone gets to uppity. I enjoy these type or arguments because its interesting in terms of language and author intent. Sena makes little sense in english and Meat is correct but sounds way harsher than probably intended by the author or Yozora.

Sena doesn't mean Meat.

neoanarch

I think its due to coming into something so popular that your almost forced into seeing it in a contradictory pov. I have the same problem with Madoka. I know instead of enjoying it I'll try and find something wrong with it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's really not. I think Shimura has no idea what she's doing with Nitorin, so she keeps him as empty as possible. With Aoi Hana, she just got bored with the main couple and decided to just abandon them entirely (as opposed to say, just gracefully ending the manga and creating something new).
I think it's somewhat frustrating that Nitorin story kind of peaked in the first 5 or 7ish volumes, and they really haven't taken his character to many interesting places since then, that said I think the characters are consistently good enough, that I don't tend to fret as much by the lack of "transgender" themes and developments, when the main hook for me is the characters and their interactions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it's somewhat frustrating that Nitorin story kind of peaked in the first 5 or 7ish volumes, and they really haven't taken his character to many interesting places since then, that said I think the characters are consistently good enough, that I don't tend to fret as much by the lack of "transgender" themes and developments, when the main hook for me is the characters and their interactions.
The problem is that the other characters have stalled. I mean, the latest English translated chapter had to introduce a new character just to bring some form of development back to Nitorin. I don't even know what is going on with Mako or Takatsuki anymore.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mawaru Penguin Drum 19
This'll probably be the last one for me until probably 22 comes out. The pacing in this episode is really what it should have been from the start. There's a certain level of tension drama, tainted by comedic presentation. It's how it started early, and it's how this one is turning out, but they really dropped the ball sometime in the middle. Though still, competently done. I really liked
how they gave a clear visual cue to the Child Broiler in the flashback though, but I gotta say, that sure was a twist without context. They sure like to do those, make a bizarre and possibly groundbreaking twist before giving it any real context and change the entire mood and feeling.

Oh, and those who said before are correct: Shouma is definitely the main character. His seating position in the class proves it so.

El Sloth

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but since I'd rather not make a thread:

I've never seen/read Akira. Do I watch the movie first or go with the comic instead? I see amazon have both for fairly decent prices. Although getting all the comic volumes will end up being sort of expensive.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but since I'd rather not make a thread:

I've never seen/read Akira. Do I watch the movie first or go with the comic instead? I see amazon have both for fairly decent prices. Although getting all the comic volumes will end up being sort of expensive.

You only need to watch the movie bro.

Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise!

wonzo

Banned

Save yourself the time and just watch the movie.

Dresden

Manga is good, just watch/read both.

Dresden

I'll probably end up doing this eventually, but funds are tight and there are gifts to be bought so I can't justify buying both the movie and the 6 volumes of the comic to myself.

Just watch the movie first then.

See if your local library carries the volumes though, if they carry manga at all there's a good chance they carry Akira as well.

El Sloth

Banned
Just watch the movie first then.

See if your local library carries the volumes though, if they carry manga at all there's a good chance they carry Akira as well.
Ah, derp. I hadn't thought about the Library at all. Thanks!

Looks like the movie it is.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You only need to watch the movie bro.

Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise!
You don't even need to do that. Unless you're just interested in watching an anime with a super high budget I guess.

neoanarch

The prevalent opinion is also wrong. More is not better.

What you call short I call concise. It hit all the points it needed to and no more.

I don't really want to argue this point. Because it has been a very long time since I've seen the movie. But I never felt the manga strayed into any necessary territory. It all unfolded pretty naturally.

Uchip

Banned
I got myself a Cowboy Bebop complete set.
Its my first anime series ever.

Any other cool shows on DVD for a newbie like me?

if you like shows that arent too "anime" check out Planetes
maybe Ghost in the Shell SAC, and Gungrave and possibly Gankutsuo

there are a lot of good movies too

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Any general opinions on Welcome to the NHK? It's another remnant of the Amazon Cyber Monday sales, still at $10.50, but even at that price I'm debating if it's worth adding even more stuff to my backlog.

Yes it's worth every penny. Great series and for some it hits just a tad bit too close to home.

3 hours until FAT XEROX MOE HNNNNNNGH EDITION!

So close yet so far away. Faturdays are the best days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom