• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchip

Banned
Yeah, normally, that would be enough reason for me to watch it, but the whole "two hot, 'well endowed' girls fighting over one average wussy Japanese schoolboy" narrative premise is enough to embitter me to the show. Hell, replace "average wussy Japanese schoolboy" with "guy" and it still embitters me. Mostly because such a thing has not, and likely will not happen to me any time soon if ever.

Fucking lonely reality. ;__;

I dont think that really happens/has happened to anybody

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys PV 2-4

Yeah, this is Gintama with the kitchen sink world replaced with some very bored teenagers. Looks like I have 1 more thing to watch for the winter season.

lies.

Shouma has saved more lives on more occasions than anyone else in the show aside from Momoka. Both Ringo and Himari were saved by him, in multiple times/ways. Himari was saved from dying at the broiler and given a family thanks to him, as well as the chance to to meet Hikari and Hibari and have the dream of becoming an idol. And Ringo was saved from drowning and getting hit by a car thanks to him, and was saved from herself from committing rape, and being raped by yuri under the influence.

Who else has saved multiple lives in the show and given them years of life? Well, Kanba's stuck his neck out to extend himari's life a few days/weeks/months, but he's also murdered at least one person and who knows how many others (and planning to commit a large scale terrorist attack) in order to do it. Hardly honorable.

Oh sure, he's a bit shy around others and he can't fight worth a damn, and he's been late to arrive for several critical situations ,but he's also managed to do more good than any of the other main characters and he hasn't done it at the expense of others.

This post has been brought to you by Team Shouma.

I cosign this post. Team Shouma is absolute1

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Because seeing the world constantly humiliate a rich blonde girl is the only reason people watch Haganai.

Usually I would agree 100%, but after a few episodes the reason I watch is the hope that the writers grow some balls and have her end up with Kodaka just to royally troll the mega-bitch Yozora. GOD I hate her! >_>

Rika is still best though. <3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Usually I would agree 100%, but after a few episodes the reason I watch is the hope that the writers grow some balls and have her end up with Kodaka just to royally troll the mega-bitch Yozora. GOD I hate her! >_>

Rika is still best though. <3
It's a harem. No one wins!

Frosteey

Neo Member
Idolm@ster 22 didn't quite live up to the hype, although it was pretty close. Gotta love that mono no aware.

I liked it a lot!

Only problems were the unChristmasy fate of the present and a bit too much Producer adoration at the beginning.

I really don't mind him that much but when there's like a three minute conversation about how he's so kind and dependable and busy and thoughtful ugggh : (

Also I was really hoping Jupiter would just show up randomly.

Akikan 3

I love how Kakeru just flirts with vending machines. Definitely an interesting mindset to keep "face to face" from being abolished by communicating with inanimate objects.

Najimi is cool too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Of Light Music and Sex 06:

8o56wl.jpg

• What is moé? Why can't we just classify it as "cute"? Why has it become the buzzword of choice among internet communities? Why has this fetish (if we can call it that) taken over most of the industry and become the target for detractors? And if indeed we assume the perverted notions of the words, what does it speak about the same people that consume it?

V3Uf2l.jpg

• The child-like qualities of such character may give us a clue. Almost never are these shows described as "hot" or "sexy". Memes like hnnnngh and old man suffering a heart attack suggest an admiration akin to that of puppies and babies. These creatures are defenceless to the cruelties of the world, and living them to survive in the wilderness can be consider homicide. Maybe the innocence and uselessness of these characters conjure a feeling of paternity or responsibility in the people that become captivated by them.

iifgBl.jpg

• Because it's not like these characters are snowflakes capable of becoming role models to girls their age. Mio displays signs of schizophrenia and severe public-speaking issues, Ritsu definitely shows some ADHD qualities, and Yui's cognitive capacities do not show any improvement beyond a primary school level. The only Light Musician in the show who displays any sort of composure is Tsumugi -and she, fascinatingly, is the one who receives the shortest screen time.

kbCtsl.jpg

• Are we to infer that Tsumugi is a cipher? She observes the girls with a strange curiosity. She obviously enjoys spending her time with the girls, but when she partakes on the extravagances of her classmates she has very little to say. The way she keeps luring Yui to the club by use of sweets is reminiscent of Pavlov's experiments with dogs. Is she a mastermind with an ulterior motive for the girls, or is she genuinely enthused by the inanity of the club's actions in their snail-paced effort to reach stardom? Regardless of her purpose, her status as a nexus between telly-land and 3D-Earth is interesting.

8jGaol.jpg

• Moé is infatuation. But what kind of infatuation is this? A purely scientific longing for understanding that which is innocuous, or a deviant longing to defile that which is pristine? I fear that, whatever the answer is, it already has become to late to escape from whatever hell this query may direct me to.

Uchip

Banned
Of Light Music and Sex 06: Moe Thesis

it gets questionable when people mix paternity with perversion
and im pretty sure 99% of k-on fans look at (fap to) the hentai

maybe innocence is appealing to horny otaku who naturally assume that they would be easier prey or something

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wandering Son 10-11 uncut:

Disclaimer: This post may contain spoilers for the uncut episodes (manga spoilers too, I suppose) and some mature content.

Wow, I almost want to take back everything negative I said about the series when it originally aired. The mashed up version of 10+11 was such a bastardization of the material and left out so many important moments that I couldn't really stand it. Suddenly, all that nuance is back.

Most importantly, we finally get to see this scene:
hpToNl.jpg

This part of the manga was always the stand-out section to me because it felt so earnestly honest. What frustrated me - and continues to frustrate me in the manga - with Nitorin is that he is so decidedly sexless. He's not asexual at all, he just doesn't have any characterized sexual desire of any kind - even a lack of sexual desire. For whatever reason Shimura chooses to keep Nitorin and Takatsuki absent of sexual urges of any kind, making them barely seem like human beings.

Meanwhile, you have this Yuki flashback in which there are two scenes that prominently feature masturbation. She is attracted to Shiima and knows it, acting on it the only way she knows how. I don't get why Shimura chooses to hold back when it comes to the main characters when her side characters are so fleshed out. In fact, the anime shows Yuki masturbating twice, just in case you didn't understand it the first time. :p

In fact, even Mako's sexual desire is oh so present in the anime/manga:
zXBxpl.jpg

He's crushing so hard on the teacher that it's cute to see. Even if he feels guilty about his sexual desire.

One other thing the Yuki scene cleared up are the scenes from the first two episodes that were made to look like interviews. I suppose I'll leave that for anyone who cares to discover on their own, but at least as a frame it suddenly makes much more sense than it does without this scene.

Other moments and characters are fleshed out a lot more as well, which just makes episode 12 a better payoff than it did during the original broadcast. In light of these episodes, which are just well done craft, I now know my problem is more with Shimura and her writing than with the show itself (ugh, less said about Aoi Hana, the better). The producers of the show did the best they could with what they had to work with, and if it wasn't for the unfortunate circumstances that effected their initial broadcast (which admittedly seem very trivial compared to what happened, of course), the show would have left a much better impression.

I still wish that InterSexuality got an anime adaptation rather than a live action one. I think if the team that worked on Wandering Son had a chance to tackle IS (or at least it's themes), it would have been a beautiful thing.

Articalys

Any general opinions on Welcome to the NHK? It's another remnant of the Amazon Cyber Monday sales, still at $10.50, but even at that price I'm debating if it's worth adding even more stuff to my backlog.

Any general opinions on Welcome to the NHK? It's another remnant of the Amazon Cyber Monday sales, still at $10.50, but even at that price I'm debating if it's worth adding even more stuff to my backlog.

I liked it as a black comedy but I never read the novel or manga, and I guess they changed a lot of things up.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 ep 9
tumblr_lvlch2uM101qeoe32o1_500.gif

I guess this had to be the second most intense episode (after the one with Yuu Yanase's turmoil). Shouta's thoughts got me thinking. Regardless, its kind of sad that there's just two episodes left, hopefully one of those brings us back to Yuu Yanase.

Last two will involve Ritsu once again, same fashion as Junjou where their finale is a two parter once again.

Second, I want more Kisa. Favorite couple from the show.

mAcOdIn

So my destiny is to work with a retired US Army guy with a taste for unshaved Amazonian women on body pillows featuring a character from an anime he doesn't even like?!

Sounds fabulous! We must get started right away, mac, for it is unmei.
Translator's note: unmei means fate.

Only one problem. I'm not much of an artiste or even a photoshopper either. Would a random screengrab shoddily printed onto pillowcases work?

Before I answer this I should point out that I think you're doing me a disservice. For it is mostly true, I have many tastes and some of them run counter to the current norm however I don't like to mix all my sides with the main dish, I like to savor them separately, sometimes in a specific order even. So while you've listed several of my tastes here I don't think it fair to assume that I would attempt to partake in them all simultaneously. As to which taste I believe is the main dish, or if you even hit on it, I'll let that remain a secret.

This also ties in to how I've previously said I believe my reputation couldn't go any lower than it is. Now I have a fetish for Amazons? And do I want to know exactly which Amazons? Truthfully I'm not sure it matters, I find myself not disliking the notion of an Amazonian woman or a woman from the Amazon but this is not something I've put any thought into previously nor mentioned, least of all actually thought of in combination with being unshaven and on a body pillow featuring an anime character from a show I don't like. So I'm sort of left wondering where exactly I'll find myself in two weeks time if left to your imagination? Would this girl perhaps now be an unshaved Amazonian, I guess this part is a given, 50 foot bionic tomboy with an Adam's Apple armored in the Spartan uniform from 300 with a dip in her mouth and a mouth that would make even a sailor blush or at some point are you just eventually going to make it an actual man? Do I want to know?

Anyways, to answer the question, yes, that is your unmei and you will learn to love it. You get me a good screengrab because I sure as hell don't want to watch these episodes myself and I'll make a body pillow.

Also, please don't say I retired from the Army as that makes me sound old!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

maybe innocence is appealing to horny otaku who naturally assume that they would be easier prey or something
Oh look, another bad faith argument from Uchip.

zeroshiki

Wow, I missed this.

K-On has a pretty big female fanbase. Do they also fap to hentai?

Casshern Sins 9

This episode had even more fantastic background art than usual. The interplay of colors and forms made the robot graveyard seem magical.
Until the girl died and everything went gray. This show delights in crushing any thin rays of light that appear.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mawaru Penguin Drum 15
I'm not one hundred percent sure of what to think of this anymore. The show has gone along, and while the dramatic elements, the dealing with loss, the joy and shame of family, and caring for those you love, are all very strong elements in conjuncture with most of the comedy, I have the suspicion that it has gone too far in this episode. For a good deal of time, the naive narrators, the off-kilter first person narrative elements, and the strong dissonance between the "perceived" and the "real" all provide powerful and thoughtful narrative progression, never using the comedic too exploitatively in supporting the dramatic. Episode 14 came very uncomfortably close, with the option to play it off for laughs instead of getting too heavy on the drama side, but now, well, like I said, I'm just not very sure what to think.

I simply want to know one thing:
how do they juxtapose the very manipulative, sadistic, and cruel childhood (sexual? probably sexual) physical abuse of Yuri by her own damned father no less, with the ridiculous and over-the-top intrusions by Shouta and Masako?
I mean, this show is already deceptive. It's already the sort of show where you doubt something actually happens. It's the show where it takes a minute to be sure they won't be "Just kidding! The character was just imagining it!" It's the fun kind of deceptive where the comedy and drama will hit harder because you weren't sure of what to make of it at first. But this? This just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It feels exploitative and unnecessary, like that uncle who trashily hit on your high school prom date.

If it were earlier in the show, this would be enough for me to drop it right here. It's pretty rare I see something in such distaste. But it's almost at the end, and since it's delivered so much already on different fronts, it's enough for me to give it the benefit of the doubt. I sincerely hope it can redeem itself. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom