• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
They want to draw and animate cute girls, man! Why would they want to work in an industry lacking in cute girls? They're not interested in furry ponies!

Also, kinda insider look at the IM@S staff and their working place:

http://sadpanda.us/images/767575-39IY58D.jpg[/im]

[URL="http://twitter.com/#!/hal_i_00/status/142891243175804928"]According to animation director Iizuka Haruko, it's the team that worked in episode 23, which decided to wear 765 Pro shirts to show their DANKETSU. [/URL][/QUOTE]

I dont watch the series but the middle shirt with the girl, who is that? shirt actually looks quite cool.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Squid Girl 9 - Mono no squidware. (With a touch of Gintama!)

Kimi to Boku 10 - I blame whoever called this Bro-on for setting my expectations for this show. It really is the high school version of Honey and Clover. It even has a Hagu-like short cute girl.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think the art style and use of computer animation makes it relatively easy for South Park to be consistent.

oBg8N.jpg

trejo

Working'!! 10

Meh. Too much of the tired old Inami x Takanashi relationship and too little of everything else. Disappointing.

Articalys

South Park discussion in the anime thread? And here I thought I would never get a relevant chance to post this.

6LP4H.png

I love this picture meme so much, even though I put Mirai Nikki on hold after ep 6

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Eh, in my mind he made the same movie thrice so I just prefer the original one since it has the most lasting impression on me. Not to mention it's the most succint.

Yeah, I can see that. I enjoyed the specific narrative of each though, because each does have a distinct narrative and conclusion to the theme that they all admittedly share: the distance between hearts.

Oh and because I forgot to post it last night:

Mirai Nikki 9
Yup, saw that coming. I didn't really take
Kawaru-lite for a diary holder in the first place. I feel bad for Hinata and Mao though, despite their betrayal. With her father gone though, the two shouldn't be much of a threat anymore. Interesting turn that 4th took though. I wonder exactly to what point he's playing the game? Perhaps keeping Amano and Yuno close or are his intentions good, if a bit wild-west? Doesn't matter much anyway though. It's just a bit sad that Yuno showed her true colors though. She had a great excuse as to why she shouldn't trust anyone trying to be friends with Amano, because every time he seems to make "friends" he gets thrown to the wolves, this time a bit more literally than last. But no, she up and gave the Yandere Manifesto. It's all good though, it looks like Amano's manning up and exercising the control he has over her. Amano really is too weak willed and self-sacrificing to outright use her, but I wonder if he won't begin to drift that way under the guise of keeping Yuno from killing anyone. Or else he'll just keep running in circles, trying to keep himself at arms length from Yuno. Probably that one. Properly reigning Yuno in would require a patience and sensitive rational that he doesn't have.

Oh, and was I the only one who felt that
Tenth's final words to his daughter could be interpreted as his final words of love before his death? Perhaps to harden his daughter against his death so that she didn't have to mourn him and move on? There were some unexpected layers in that, like despite how he chided her coldly for being stupid and gullible and then two sentences later told her not to grow up to be a bad person like her father.
I do enjoy the layers at work in this show. They don't withhold information without good reason and pace its revelation fantastically, providing both excitement and interest. So much better than MPD~

kenshin ep8-14
When does this get real? Cause I was under the impression that this was meant to be a loved high tier shouenen but so far it feels mostly like filler( low tier stuff).

that's because it is.

In the Rurouni Kenshin manga, there are no filler chapters, unless you count the bonus chapters in the earlier volumes. Thus, the animated episodes (13-18, 25-27, and 63-95) are all made for the anime only.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ika Musume S2 09: Most squidtastic game of house ever! One of the funniest bits I've seen in this show. XD The 2nd bit with the schedule was funny as well, and the 3rd bit was alright.

Lain

Beelzebub 45

This show is crap, but I'm getting some enjoyment out of it. Probably because I jumped in on episode 32 or 33 (can't even remember). Like all the other episodes I've watched this one, too, was slow and dragged, yet something compels me to watch it. I even watch the opening and ending.
The Oga in the OP makes me think of Keanu Reeves, with the way he never changes expressions.

TSF Monogatari 1

Some aspects of it underwhelmed me (a bit too rushed, some bad art here and there, etc), but when it nails the original manga art (facial expressions especially, dat tongue) it's pretty hot (and funny). 5/5.

I have a sixth sense with this stuff I just sometimes ignore it against my better judgement.

Seriously, that's just stupid. If you liked the first one, the others are worth trying. I think the whole series is pretty mediocre, and while the sequels aren't great, the first one isn't either... unless your point was that you only like it because of nostalgia value, and you only ever watched the first one before, so that's why you don't ever want to watch the sequels? Maybe... but still, even if the sequels are mixed in quality, so was the first one.

As I said though, the second one wasn't very good, sure, but it does recover some in the third movie and the "versus battle" alternate-world scifi series.

mAcOdIn

Seriously, that's just stupid. If you liked the first one, the others are worth trying. I think the whole series is pretty mediocre, and while the sequels aren't great, the first one isn't either... unless your point was that you only like it because of nostalgia value, and you only ever watched the first one before, so that's why you don't ever want to watch the sequels? Maybe... but still, even if the sequels are mixed in quality, so was the first one.

As I said though, the second one wasn't very good, sure, but it does recover some in the third movie and the "versus battle" alternate-world scifi series.
Nostalgia is a factor but there's another and that's novelty. Sometimes, with stupid, being first gives you some leeway whereas that's not a given subsequent times around.

Also, it's not like I've seen nothing from the others I've just never seen any of the sequels in their entirety, I think it's clear that with Project A-ko most of their love went into the first one, not that that's rare in the industry, or any industry really.
Thanks for making it official. :(
You're welcome.

Gintama Episodes 1-7
Just started watching this show. I've been enjoying it so far. I'm a little worried that there are a ton of jokes, references, parodies, and subtleties flying over my head. I'm wondering if this show is meant to be a comedy that doesn't want the audience thinking about where it's going or if there's some overarching goal/narrative in-mind. I'm basically treating it as I would Sgt Frog right now: a comedy that is set up in a way so that it can just continually be what it is rather than try to tell a story. I've also wondered if it will ever have serious moments. Not trying to rag on the show or anything, I'm just an ignorant viewer who went into this show blind and trying to figure out its identity.

survivor

Banned
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo

Those fucking clouds. They were beautiful.

Anyway, I went into this movie blind so I had no idea about any of this
Agartha crap. I had no idea this movie was fantasy. I thought it's just another awesome high school romance drama. The monsters design were really cool and the scenery for some of the ruins was awesome.
The movie should have definitely been shorter than 2 hours. It has an awesome concept, it just dragged on in many places.

As for rankings, it's definitively 5cm > Place Promised > Kodomo

Fatz Ero 10

Interesting that this is the first time we really see the consequences of Ryunosuke's actions. Dude can be pretty creepy when he wants to be.

Little Rin is :cajun. Too bad she grows up to be a bitch.

iavi

Gintama Episodes 1-7
Just started watching this show. I've been enjoying it so far. I'm a little worried that there are a ton of jokes, references, parodies, and subtleties flying over my head. I'm wondering if this show is meant to be a comedy that doesn't want the audience thinking about where it's going or if there's some overarching goal/narrative in-mind. I'm basically treating it as I would Sgt Frog right now: a comedy that is set up in a way so that it can just continually be what it is rather than try to tell a story. I've also wondered if it will ever have serious moments. Not trying to rag on the show or anything, I'm just an ignorant viewer who went into this show blind and trying to figure out its identity.

The show definitely has its serious moments, the comedy can be pretty referential in its humour, and there's no real over arching narrative. It's pretty piecemeal in that regard, really. Welcome aboard, however. The show steadily gets better & better.

The show definitely has its serious moments, the comedy can be pretty referential in its humour, and there's no real over arching narrative. It's pretty piecemeal in that regard, really. Welcome aboard, however. The show steadily gets better & better.
I appreciate the clarification. Definitely excited to really sink my teeth into this show.
hosannainexcelsis said:
The opening is mostly about setting up characters; once most of the pieces are laid on the board the show becomes increasingly confident in how to handle them in both comedic and dramatic moments.
That's a very good point. There are still a fair number of characters that were featured in the first episode who's origin stories I have yet to see. I'm sure my understanding of the show will click once I'm familiar with the preliminary stuff.

Gintama Episodes 1-7

As Miri said, there's no goal at the end of the road - in fact, the show mocks its own lack of a goal as compared to other Shonen Jump series. It's a gag series, and mostly episodic. Though as the series progresses, more and more longer-episode arcs appear, and some of them are quite serious indeed. The opening is mostly about setting up characters; once most of the pieces are laid on the board the show becomes increasingly confident in how to handle them in both comedic and dramatic moments. Even without understanding all the Japanese cultural references (some familiarity with anime/manga helps, but there's still a lot of references to personalities I don't get, it's very hilarious. You have a lot of fun times ahead of you.

/XX/

O.K., having seen episodes 2 and 3 already I'll add one more reason to appreciate that first double episode, and is that the time flew watching these following ones! With the basis of the premise laid out at the very beginning, including the rules of this conflict, now the series progresses smoothly and gives good timing to the introduction of the Servants and the bonds they create on this world... knowing, as the spectator also knows, the consequences this war game could lead them to.

After all, I'll still consider that first episode as an excellent "trade-off".

K-On is the number 2 movie in Japan despite them only counting 2 days. It beat the Tintin movie which opened December 1.
Good! I hope that helps to regain lost credit of the studio, to later grant them the opportunity of making more 'bombastic' projects...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Guilty Crown 06-08: Inori continues to be a snore, though it was nice to see a new female character introduced who doesn't fall for the pansy main character, but rather the charismatic handsome sweet talker. Nice change of pace there.

Oh, and anime continues the tradition where once a girl dons a bikini, her breasts grow three sizes. Goddamn Hare, keep you tits in check, girl!

survivor

Banned
So I have been watching Break Blade lately and I'm wondering something, are there any mecha anime that doesn't have power levels? I'm getting tired of anime where the MC yells harder and all the sudden his mech moves faster than normal.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Squid Girl 2: Revenge of the Dark of the Return of the Reprisal of the Day of the Tentacle 08: Sanae is so adorable. She actually reminds me of Yuno Gasai from Mirai Nikki if Yuno had a bit more self-restraint.

How Lite Music! Stole Christmas 07:

Kfb6Dl.jpg

I don't even know what the fuck.

This is the worst Christmas special ever. Christmas was not ruined/cancelled/replaced by another holiday or anything of the sort. How can we have a serious Christmas story when Santa Claus is never at harm? He wasn't even in this episode, and don't get me started on the creepy factor of the girls spending the eve with Sawako instead of their actual parents. Actually, that's something that I find odd about Japan -Christmas is not about the family at all, and in fact most people use it as an excuse to bone other people?

Speaking of which, what is some great Christmas animu to watch? I remember the Love Hina special and that was so purely crap I wanna forget it.

Branduil

Squid Girl 2: Revenge of the Dark of the Return of the Reprisal of the Day of the Tentacle 08: Sanae is so adorable. She actually reminds me of Yuno Gasai from Mirai Nikki if Yuno had a bit more self-restraint.

Kfb6Dl.jpg

I don't even know what the fuck.

This is the worst Christmas special ever. Christmas was not ruined/cancelled/replaced by another holiday or anything of the sort. How can we have a serious Christmas story when Santa Claus is never at harm? He wasn't even in this episode, and don't get me started on the creepy factor of the girls spending the eve with Sawako instead of their actual parents. Actually, that's something that I find odd about Japan -Christmas is not about the family at all, and in fact most people use it as an excuse to bone other people?

Speaking of which, what is some great Christmas animu to watch? I remember the Love Hina special and that was so purely crap I wanna forget it.
Actual families don't exist in moe anime.

Yes, yes you do. The ending really defines what the work is all about.

I'll get to it soon....hopefully

TSF Monogatari 1

Some aspects of it underwhelmed me (a bit too rushed, some bad art here and there, etc), but when it nails the original manga art (facial expressions especially, dat tongue) it's pretty hot (and funny). 5/5.

LOL

next ep is when she goes all in so that should be interesting to see (its coming out in february 2012 IIRC :p

Branduil

Have I mentioned how much I like the new feature where quoted posts are automatically linked to? Especially in this thread where people like to quote old posts that refer ambiguously to their subject.

Gintama.

I don't understand the science between pulling the underwear = deploying the 'brakes', but w/e.

Taking dick jokes to new horizons and locations.

Reminds me of the Simpsons skiing eps (Stupid sexy flanders).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TSF Monogatari 1

I thought the art was accurate but the problem was with the stiff animation. Part of the appeal of ShindoL's art is that it instigates one's imagination to run wild with the way he (she) draws expressions -it's titillating with more than just, you know, that stuff. Nothing short of KyoAni doing this wasn't going to make the original material a disservice. Then again, the repetitive nature of the medium (if you know what I am saying) works against it getting any sort of excuse for a higher budget.
Imas just had some of the girls in slutty Santa outfits. That's the true meaning of X-mas, yes?
Was Christmas on the verge of destruction?
Actual families don't exist in moe anime.
They clearly alluded to Yui and Ui's parents in this episode.

They are the worst parents ever. No wonder Yui is so cognitively impaired.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_limp0iY7dp1qayjqfo1_500.jpg
There's some saucy stuff in season one that I'm surprised is allowed by Disney, even if it's only implied.

zeroshiki

Actually, that's something that I find odd about Japan -Christmas is not about the family at all, and in fact most people use it as an excuse to bone other people?

Why should it be about the family? Do you take holidays off during Ramadan? Because that's pretty much what it means for them. Christmas is nothing but an excuse for people to goof off and have fun.

Imas just had some of the girls in slutty Santa outfits. That's the true meaning of X-mas, yes?

There's an Akamatsu Ken OVA about Christmas. It even had Aya Hirano as the lead. I think the girl's name was Merry Christmas or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom