• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Is it a coincidence that the same director made the best show at the start of 2011 and the best show at the end of 2011? I don't think so. It's not coincidence. It's FATE(/ZERO).

Shinyhairanimu.jpg
Shinyflooranimu.jpg

Shiny anime was the key to success in 2011.

Articalys

Was Saimoe too girly for your tastes? Well, never fear, because starting tomorrow and continuing throughout December, ISML isn't just resting on their laurels. Nope, they're running the brand-new ISML 2011 Male Tournament, a no-holds-barred, six-round knockout battle between 96 characters on the other side of the gender divide. Admittedly, the list of participants (see here) does slant a tad more on the recent side, but with a decent range from shoujo MCs to shonen action heroes, everyone should hopefully find one or two people they favor.

And yes, there will be a couple of bonus female matchups on the side every day, just because.

kiryogi

Banned
Well I've been pretty absent this season, so time to ring in a little. . .

Finally got around to checking out Fate/Zero. . . Holy shit at all the manly talent in this. And not just that, they're fucking awesome.

I can only say that I'm absolutely sold, and already put in my preorder for the US Bluray box set. My god have I been sleeping on this XD

And on another note, I did get my hands on the new Shinkai Bluray. . . Some impressions out there said it best, it's more like a so and so Ghibli if even that. But I think it's a good new direction for Shinkai, and there's potential there if he works at it. At least it was really pretty?

Was Saimoe too girly for your tastes? Well, never fear, because starting tomorrow and continuing throughout December, ISML isn't just resting on their laurels. Nope, they're running the brand-new ISML 2011 Male Tournament, a no-holds-barred, six-round knockout battle between 96 characters on the other side of the gender divide. Admittedly, the list of participants (see here) does slant a tad more on the recent side, but with a decent range from shoujo MCs to shonen action heroes, everyone should hopefully find one or two people they favor.

Okay, so pretty much it's vote for whoever you like I guess since most of those guys aren't moe. I wonder how far Cloud will get.

Well I've been pretty absent this season, so time to ring in a little. . .

Finally got around to checking out Fate/Zero. . . Holy shit at all the manly talent in this. And not just that, they're fucking awesome.

I can only say that I'm absolutely sold, and already put in my preorder for the US Bluray box set. My god have I been sleeping on this XD

And on another note, I did get my hands on the new Shinkai Bluray. . . Some impressions out there said it best, it's more like a so and so Ghibli if even that. But I think it's a good new direction for Shinkai, and there's potential there if he works at it. At least it was really pretty?

You're absent every season. Time to cut back on the FFXIV so you have more time to watch anime!

kiryogi

Banned
Okay, so pretty much it's vote for whoever you like I guess since most of those guys aren't moe. I wonder how far Cloud will get.

You're absent every season. Time to cut back on the FFXIV so you have more time to watch anime!

No I was decent last season! And now that I finally got sub support on Kalem (Had to wait for the HP store. . . ) I can watch at work, so I might actually stay up to date now XD

Steroyd

Hunter x Hunter - 10

POLT HOOOOOOLE
Prisoner #3 said he surrendered before Kurapurika smashed his head in, in the episode previous.
I understand what angle they were trying to do that scene for, but it comes off wrong.

Ben-To

I think it says it all when the yuri does absolutely nothing for me. Less of what this show has become in recent episodes, more pride of wolves over half priced bento plz kthxbye.

Ben-to 9 - It seems everyone disliked this episode, but it wasn't THAT bad... Shiraume is certainly extremely creepy and insane, that's for sure. Yuri sexual assault is just as wrong as any other form of it, Shiraume!

It is true that the episode didn't have any of the usual bento fighting at all, and yes, it did suffer for it, but the episode was okay, really. Someone really needs to try to stop Shiraume one of these days, she can't be allowed to keep doing this stuff. I can't think of much anime (in this genre/category, I mean) that makes yuri scenes this creepy and awful... I don't know if that's a good thing, though.

Copihan 6 - Finally, another episode! It's been a while... and yes, it was pretty good. This is more like the earlier episodes, and not the insanity of ep 5, as it sees a return of those two girls with the radio show, except this time from the perspective of the ... odd ... girl who always is calling into their show. It's not one of the show's best episodes, but it was amusing.

Shouta

So I found out the live-action Ranma 1/2 is airing this Friday and holy shit, Natsuna and Aragaki Yui are both in it. I'm in heaven. D=

Ben-To Zero: Road to Witch

This is a very short, 5 chapters manga which serves as a prequel of sorts to Ben-To. It occurs a year before the beginning of Ben-To and starts when freshman Yarizui Sen arrives at her new high school. She naturally goes to the nearest supermarket at night to find something to eat and runs into Kaneshiro "The Wizard" Yuu. There she gets into the usual crazy shit (and even
gets herself kidnapped by a wolf who nurses a grudge against The Wizard
) and eventually she discovers what high-school club she wants to join: the "Half-Priced Food Lovers Club".

The Wizard, who barely appears in Ben-To proper as he's retired by the time that story begins, is a main character in it as well as a female character who is also retired by Ben-To. There's a lot of hilarious exposition about being a Wolf and the "Stomach's Howl" and the "Taste of Victory" which The Wizard explains in hilariously serious fashion to a wide-eyed Yarizui. It's more like when Ben-To is good and about fighting over half-priced lunch boxes and less about whatever Ben-To is about in the last couple of episodes.

I should read the light novels or something. Sigh.

duckroll

Does anyone actually believe that? There are currently 2 manga spin offs and both will be getting animes.

Considering how long it took for Kyoto Animation to decide to do more Haruhi after the first season, and how there is still no new Full Metal Panic anime even though there's a ton of material.... yes, I do believe that there are currently no plans for a third season. It'll be several years before Kyoto Animation makes another K-On project, if they even decide to do one.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Basically, for me it's:

Voices > Place = 5 cms > Children

However, if we go strictly by dem clouds:

Children > 5 cms > Place > Voices

So yeah, I'd say Haly's graph is pretty accurate.

Eh, I've always felt that Voices was pretty average, if not a bit flighty and introversionally melodramatic. I'd make the argument that what he did could have been done just as effectively (and affectively) in 15 minutes as he did in 30. It was impressive so far as it was made by one man, but stylistically and structurally, his later work is objectively much, much better; better realized and more satisfying narratively.

No comment on the clouds.

Is it a coincidence that the same director made the best show at the start of 2011 and the best show at the end of 2011? I don't think so. It's not coincidence. It's FATE(/ZERO).

ueo6U.jpg

FJXYm.jpg

Are you saying Nitori grows up to be Kirei after his parents send him to a convent to try and cleanse him of his sins?

duckroll

Are you saying Nitori grows up to be Kirei after his parents send him to a convent to try and cleanse him of his sins?

I didn't say it, you did. But I would not be opposed to such a plot connection.
It would also bring a whole new meaning to the conversation Kirei had with Gilgamesh in ep6. Lol.

trejo

Eh, I've always felt that Voices was pretty average, if not a bit flighty and introversionally melodramatic. I'd make the argument that what he did could have been done just as effectively (and affectively) in 15 minutes as he did in 30. It was impressive so far as it was made by one man, but stylistically and structurally, his later work is objectively much, much better; better realized and more satisfying narratively.

No comment on the clouds.

Eh, in my mind he made the same movie thrice so I just prefer the original one since it has the most lasting impression on me. Not to mention it's the most succint.

Jex

Heidi 9

I think Heidi is one of the few people that could get so excited about snow, she's happy to wake up in the morning in a bed covered by it (leaving aside the fact that she sleeps in a room with an open window and only uses a blanket to cover herself.... I feel cold just thinking about it!).

Yeah, Anne has the same issue in Anne of Green Gables where she has this incredibly cold room, by the looks of things, but never enough blankets. Maybe Takahata doesn't know what cold weather is like. It seems weird, especially considering how grounded and realistic his works are.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The new episode of Gintama reminded me that they showed pictures of Sunrise studios way back in the 100s. I just wonder if all anime studios look like sad sweatshops with animators chained to their desks - especially when compared to the recent South Park documentary where their open concept studio work-space would make J Allard blush.

Squid Girl - 9

xoPNL.gif

Oh god, the first part was the season 2 highlight. Sanae was again the best character and the little girl was pretty cute too.

7Th

The new episode of Gintama reminded me that they showed pictures of Sunrise studios way back in the 100s. I just wonder if all anime studios look like sad sweatshops with animators chained to their desks - especially when compared to the recent South Park documentary where their open concept studio work-space would make J Allard blush.

Typical animator working in a typical studio:

767568-PE0Q1MO.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Typical animator working in a typical studio:

http://sadpanda.us/images/767568-PE0Q1MO.jpg
The Sunrise pictures looked much worse than that. I seem to remember just desks crammed into as small a space as possible.

Contrast that to the South Park studios which are in the middle of Manhattan and where people skateboard around the office because it's just that big, and it makes you wonder why Japanese animators don't just flee to America already.

jman2050

Squid Girl 9

First: That was easily the best segment of the entire season. Sanae is the best character.

Second: The author seems to go to great lengths to find ways to make Ika look like a complete moron. I admire his creativity! Also need a gif of Ika's head popping out of the bag, stat.

Third: This would be almost sad if it weren't so absurd. Actually, that describes a good part of this show.

7Th

The Sunrise pictures looked much worse than at. I seem to remember just desks crammed into as small a space as possible.

Contrast that to the South Park studios which are in the middle of Manhattan and where people skateboard around the office because it's just that big, and it makes you wonder why Japanese animators don't just flee to America already.

They want to draw and animate cute girls, man! Why would they want to work in an industry lacking in cute girls? They're not interested in furry ponies!

Also, kinda insider look at the IM@S staff and their working place:

767575-39IY58D.jpg

According to animation director Iizuka Haruko, it's the team that worked in episode 23, which decided to wear 765 Pro shirts to show their DANKETSU.

The Sunrise pictures looked much worse than that. I seem to remember just desks crammed into as small a space as possible.

How much demand is there for animators, particularly 2D animators, in America? I can't imagine there's enough to justify Japanese animators moving here, certainly not in any significant number.

I mean, you may as well ask why Chinese factory workers don't move to America.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They want to draw and animate cute girls, man! Why would they want to work in an industry lacking in cute girls? They're not interested in furry ponies!

Also, kinda insider look at the IM@S staff and their working place:

http://sadpanda.us/images/767575-39IY58D.jpg

According to animation director Iizuka Haruko, it's the team that worked in episode 23, which decided to wear 765 Pro shirts to show their DANKETSU.
The South Park guys only have to work 14 weeks a year though!

How much demand is there for animators, particularly 2D animators, in America? I can't imagine there's enough to justify Japanese animators moving here, certainly not in any significant number.

I mean, you may as well ask why Chinese factory workers don't move to America.
There's a skill gap between animator and iphone maker though.
Although I suppose most American animation companies outsource to Korea anyway. :p

God, so pale.
You're not allowed to see the sun when you are drawing cute girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom