• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The AAC started emptying with about halfway left through the third. I sat around a bunch of Heat fans

It was beautiful

So that's why they never show up to a game in Miami. They all live in Dallas.

A-ni1t5CQAEYFTR.jpg

Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni met Wednesday night to hammer out some obvious differences since D'Antoni took over as the Lakers' coach, The Times has learned.

Gasol said he wanted the ball in the post instead of on the perimeter and also asked to play in crunch time, among the topics discussed with D'Antoni at a Manhattan Beach restaurant.

"It was to make sure we're in the same boat," Gasol said in a quiet moment Thursday after the Lakers' practice. "We're trying to reach the same goal. Let's communicate. Hopefully, we can meet halfway on some points."

D'Antoni told Gasol he would no longer be benched in crucial situations, according to a person familiar with the conversation.

Gasol has been benched three times in the fourth quarter since D'Antoni was hired, including the last 2 minutes 36 seconds of the Lakers 101-100 victory Tuesday over Charlotte. It was Gasol's first game after sitting out eight in a row because of tendinitis in his knees.

He sat out the entire fourth quarter Nov. 23 against Memphis and the last 6:07 of a Dec. 2 game against Orlando.

Gasol hopes D'Antoni can fiddle with his push-the-pace offense to accommodate the four-time All-Star, who wants to stay with the Lakers despite trade possibilities clinging to him since last December.

So he told D'Antoni to trust him with the ball, alluding to his past success of two NBA championships and two trips to the Olympic gold-medal game.

D'Antoni was the initiator of the meeting, suggesting they get dinner, something he would do with players individually from time to time. Was he making sure he wasn't "losing" Gasol?

"I didn't think I was," D'Antoni told The Times. "But I wanted to make sure he knew what my vision was for him and the team and see if that's all good. Then we'll tweak it or not tweak it.

"I thought he was great and gave me a lot of insight into a lot of things. It was more of a feeling-out process and what makes him feel comfortable. He's a very intelligent basketball player. Why wouldn't I get his opinion about a lot of things?"

Gasol's numbers have dipped significantly this season. He is averaging 12.4 points and 8.8 rebounds, and shooting only 41.3%.

Gasol didn't talk about increased touches with D'Antoni but, rather, specific places he wanted the ball. He doesn't feel comfortable with it so far from the basket, the norm for him in D'Antoni's offense.

"We didn't even really talk about [number of] touches because I don't believe in that," D'Antoni said. "But I believe in him being involved."

D'Antoni has tried to figure out how to incorporate Gasol and Dwight Howard in an offense that features a lot of Kobe Bryant shots. D'Antoni's latest attempt was to play Gasol and Howard together for only 4:04 in the second half of Tuesday's game.

Pau and Mike D went out on a date. Sweet.

Let's see if anything comes from it.

Now get back to playing Hill as the backup big.

linsivvi

So many little bitches on this team. Pau needs to STFU and play. There's no time for coddling..

Pau had injuries, played through it, took the blame and so they shut him down.

He came back, had a decent game (10 pts, 9 boards, 5 assists, 4 blocks in 29 minutes) and he was benched in crunch time.

Pringles is the bitch here.

Nash came here wanting to play with Pau, and that's before Pringles.

Pringles is the same guy who refused to play Jordan Hill since his rookie year. He's the same guy who mocked our team years ago in Phoenix.

He's a way over-rated coach who has the ego of an elite NBA player. A terrible combination.

Don't blame Pau. Blame the coach and the ones who hired him.

So many little bitches on this team. Pau needs to STFU and play. There's no time for coddling..

That's an easy stance to take as a fan

His coach needs to do his god damn job and coach to his roster's strengths, not shove his style down their throats

KingKong

I can't believe Laker fans actually want to trade Gasol, it's insane. They don't deserve to make the playoffs if they trade him, no loyalty on that team

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
This past summer, the Knicks offered Stoudemire to nearly every team in the league — “available for free,” as one rival executive put it. But they found no takers because of his diminished production, his health and his contract, which has three years and $65 million remaining (counting this season) and which is uninsured against a career-ending knee injury.

In February, the Knicks wanted to send Stoudemire to Toronto in a deal for Andrea Bargnani, a person briefed on the discussion said. But the proposal was vetoed by James L. Dolan, the Garden chairman, before it ever reached the Raptors (who would not have made the deal anyway, team officials there said).

Before that, the Knicks tried to package Stoudemire and Chandler in a bid to land Dwight Howard.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/s...esents-only-problems.html?ref=basketball&_r=0

Rodeo Clown

1500 said:
If the Magic decide to move Redick, consider the Wolves heavily in the mix. One league source said that it'll take more than forward Derrick Williams to get a deal done.

You can have Stiemsma, too, Orlando.

jjasper

I can't believe Laker fans actually want to trade Gasol, it's insane. They don't deserve to make the playoffs if they trade him, no loyalty on that team
Why should you be loyal to a player that once demanded to be traded after one down year with the team he was on.

I can't speak for the rest of Lakers-age but I love Pau.

Completely professional during and after Reasons-gate, he wants to improve the team instead of demanding to leave. Pau may be too loyal, but really what situation would be better for him than LA? If there is one is the interest mutual?

I hope Pau gets touches down low and shows Dantoni how stupid he has been.

linsivvi

I actually didn't mind Pau getting limited minutes. Him playing so far from the basket is that ish I don't like.

Less 3s, more post ups pls.

Yeah he's been playing non-stop even during summers. Limiting him to 30 minutes or so would help him conserve energy for the playoffs...
If they make it there

It's ridiculous for a coach to come in and tell a 32 years old PF/C who's got 2 rings and a world champion to camp out at the 3 point line. That's not his game and that's not how he won.

Antoni has the ego of Kobe and the intelligence of McGee.

Pau shouldn't be shooting 3's. He SHOULD be in the post, but he CAN be suitable as a high post 4...sometimes. But he's going to (and is) going to get killed on 1/4 pick and rolls.

Like I said, Pau was built for the Wolves. Not sure why Wolves fans hate him. They need scoring and you can play the 1/5 PNR with Ricky and Pau or go to post ups through Pau and kick out to Love.

The problem with Pau on the Lakers is that dude has to be forced to take shots inside. You literally have to run the offense through him at the 5 for him to get shots up inside. He's just so passive offensively. It's almost better to just have him camp the high post so that when Dwight kicks it out he's forced to actually shoot.

Rodeo Clown

Like I said, Pau was built for the Wolves. Not sure why Wolves fans hate him. They need scoring and you can play the 1/5 PNR with Ricky and Pau or go to post ups through Pau and kick out to Love.

Because Pekovic and Love are awesome. There's no point in trading for Gasol when we have those two. He's on the wrong side of 30, has arthritic knees, and makes entirely too much money. No.

The Wolves need help on the wings, not Pau Gasol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone with a brain knows that nobody wants a power forward shooting 41% from the field and making 19 million dollars.

How about one shooting 38% and making 10 million who attempts more three pointers per game (4.5) than he grabs rebounds (4.3). Takers? Someone? Please?

Anyone with a brain knows that nobody wants a power forward shooting 41% from the field and making 19 million dollars.

sounds like kevin loves putrid .36% FG shooting right now if you want to play that game

Thank you, Jordan Crawford, for your competitive spirit.

For having tough skin, and for continuing to play your heart out.

For putting this team on your back in crunch time.

For keeping us in games, and winning us a few. The games this season have been exciting to watch, even though things haven't always fallen our way.

For working to improve your game this offseason. We can all tell that you are shooting better, rebounding better, and playing better defense.

For stepping up to do what this team needs. For playing point guard. For spearheading the offense even when you know the whole defense is keyed on you. For finding the open man.

Keep fighting, and Merry Christmas!

Wiz fans have hit the mythical 6th stage of grief : Inception.

Top Bottom