• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Stealth Fox

Random thought about Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's statue:

I thought Mohammedans objected to 'graven images.' Hakeem Olajuwon wouldn't allow the Rockets to put up a statue of him, and only consented to a 'statue' depicting his jersey.

2470927734_7bab40c447.jpg

Call me uptight or whatever, but for some reason, this post comes off as really condescending to me, especially when someone uses the term "Mohammedans".

gotdamn, Roy Hibbert's been a fucking disaster for Indiana so far.
34-88 FGA .386%
At Rim-15-31 .484%
3 to 9 ft-11-36 .306%

if you told me these numbers belonged to a 7 foot post player in the nba, i wouldnt believe it. with Granger out, this is the absolute worst time for him to start playing like a scrub on the offensive end.

h3ro

Call me uptight or whatever, but for some reason, this post comes off as really condescending to me, especially when someone uses the term "Mohammedans".

When you can use a term meant to not acknowledge a faith as so that was left behind in the 1950's, you have to do it.

Bynum's knees dying would be fine if we would just let go and tank...

nice draft pick and cap space would be nice. Jrue is the only starter we have anyway..

but nope gonna be a fringe playoff team...lose our picks...sign mediocre talent..and stay an 7-8th seed forever.

fuck everything.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I know, but they've been wanting to trade him and lose his salary for years. Now, they did it, and they didn't sign Bynum to an extension.
Lets be real. All Philly needs is 20 games played and a "he's a really good guy though" sit-down before they give him a max.

I know, but they've been wanting to trade him and lose his salary for years. Now, they did it, and they didn't sign Bynum to an extension.

Mayhaps. Still not that great a trade.

Wow, Clips are third in ORtg and second in DRtg this year.

Small sample size and all that, but a VDN team playing defense?

SamuraiX-

Philly didn't give him an extension yet though right? There's always that. Some other chump can pick him up when he's a FA.

Also: http://www.libertyballers.com/2012/11/17/3657266/andrew-bynum-sixers-trade-max-contract lol

n8O0+

That article is gold.

This toil with mediocrity continued through the off-season. They signed Kwame Brown. They re-signed Hawes. They reportedly flirted with re-signing Lou Williams, though thankfully thought better of it. They added some shooters, but with a bad front court, the Sixers were destined to reprise last season in 2012-2013.

That all changed when the 76ers traded for Andrew Bynum. Andrew Bynum is a superstar center capable of lifting a team from mediocrity to championship contender. Andrew Bynum is a player who, with Dwight Howard being traded to Los Angeles in the same deal, instantly became the best center in the Eastern Conference. The Philadelphia 76ers instantly became a match-up problem for every team in the Eastern Conference, none of whom could match-up with Bynum. Andrew Bynum instantly gave a Batman to Jrue Holiday's Robin. After a decade of failure through mediocrity, the Sixers had succeeded in turning around their franchise in one trade.
Every reason to want to regret the trade only manifested itself after the trade was made. And even now, why would anyone want to undo the trade and return to the status quo of the last decade? To lament the trade for Bynum is to lament a desire to win a championship. Sometimes, it is necessary to take on risks. And while Bynum was a bit of a risk, the odds of him never playing a game in a Sixers uniform were slim (those odds may be increased a bit now, but again, hindsight should not be the basis of judgment).

With Bynum, the Sixers have a direction. With Bynum, the Sixers have potential. With Bynum, the Sixers can be championship contenders.

Therefore, when push comes to shove, even if Bynum never plays a game this year, signing him to a max contract is still a smarter move than letting him walk at the end of the season. Superstars don't just grow on trees. Letting Bynum walk and saying, "oh we'll just find another superstar big man in the 2013 off-season" is easier said than done, even more so when you eliminate Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum from contention.*

Did Philly even lose anything in the Bynum trade?

We will lose our annual 15th pick if/when we make the playoffs for like the next 3 years or so. Plus Vucevic > Allen. And I liked Mo Harkless. Like I said, I'd be less sad if I knew we would just cut our losses and rebuild. We havbe a chance to d so rather quickly with cap space and potentially a high pick....but that's not happening,

Lets be real. All Philly needs is 20 games played and a "he's a really good guy though" sit-down before they give him a max.

I know it to be true....

120 million us dollars..

Philly didn't give him an extension yet though right? There's always that. Some other chump can pick him up when he's a FA.

Also: http://www.libertyballers.com/2012/11/17/3657266/andrew-bynum-sixers-trade-max-contract lol

n8O0+

That actually might be true...it's not exactly a high bar considering we trade Moses, Barkley, and to an extent Iverson for garbage.

Man this franchise is something else.

edit: Then I actually read it....

dude wat.

Jrue isn't even Batgirl. And even with Healthy Bynum (like that exists) we are still pretty mediocre. OSU Evan Turner isn't walking through that door.

Did a realGM poster write that shit?

man i hate early sunday games. almost forgot about todays

Random thought about Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's statue:

I thought Mohammedans objected to 'graven images.' Hakeem Olajuwon wouldn't allow the Rockets to put up a statue of him, and only consented to a 'statue' depicting his jersey.

2470927734_7bab40c447.jpg

what the hell is a mohammedan?

charsace

Ace Deuce mother fucker.

Knicks loss stayed with me that's why I was angry. That and trying to choose a broadphase collision solution.

Top Bottom