• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Yeah the ESPN one you can basically build a mega team with :) The MLS one I found myself doing over and over and over again trying to drop my budget one place and spend big in another.

Plus, as much as I wanted them..I just couldnt pick any Timbers players this week :)

Ive never played in a fantasy leagues so Im prob gonna get spanked but it should be fun :)
Sucks you cant see other teams rosters and such.

xbhaskarx

^ I haven't played this before, but if it's like other leagues I'm assuming as soon as the week's games start, the rosters will lock and you'll be able to see them all.

I like how tough this one is, I did ESPN last year and it was pretty much pointless because everyone had an all star team.

Weaselred

Great win on Wensday but I'm nervous about the away leg. Either way it's going to be a great season in the ECS...

DjiuL.jpg

Pre

I'm hoping the Sounders can finally get over the hump this season. We've got a lot of talent but I'm worried about the fullback spot. And there's no telling when Zakuani will get back or if he'll ever be the same.

Great win on Wensday but I'm nervous about the away leg. Either way it's going to be a great season in the ECS...

DjiuL.jpg

Nice!

We got our Union Season Ticket packages in the mail the other day, so mcuh better then last years.

This years consisted of..(not my pic)
Tickets-458x343.jpg

Nice scarf with "C'Mon The U" on one side and "Jungite Aut Perite" on the other plus a lanyard with a plastic sleeve to put the season ticket card in.
Lanyard is nice cause it sucked ass last year when you would leave the Supporters Section and when you came back with an arm full of beers and pretzels you had to pull the card out to get back into that part of the stadium, then once again to get to your seat..

Still deciding on if we stay in the River End next year. I love the atmosphere and my SoB brothers but to be honest Im 75% intrested in watching the game and disecting it so to say and some people in the RE act as if its "Celebration>Game"
Seriously, some people pay absolutely no attention to the game and put singing, jumping, and getting shit-faced before actually watching the game...which is cool..but i love love love the beauty and tactical aspect of the game so much more then singing the same 8 songs over and over again.

Think a tipping point for me was last year towards the end of the season. I took a buddy who has never been to a MLS game let alone any soccer game so he was just watching the game and enjoying it. Well, I dont know if it was directing at him, or any of the mutiple people who dont sing for every minute, but this one SoB section leader screamed a few feet from him into our section "Sing you CUNTS!!!"

To be completely honest..I only really Ok'd us getting Supporter seats again so we could have access to the the locker room :)
I LOVE this part of the game and the videos I get as much as the actual game I think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p3K2mpKBv0&list=UUz-9Y2pVZ1LYkQCzn_EDCtw&index=2&feature=plcp

Nice!

We got our Union Season Ticket packages in the mail the other day, so mcuh better then last years.

This years consisted of..(not my pic)
Tickets-458x343.jpg

Nice scarf with "C'Mon The U" on one side and "Jungite Aut Perite" on the other plus a lanyard with a plastic sleeve to put the season ticket card in.
Lanyard is nice cause it sucked ass last year when you would leave the Supporters Section and when you came back with an arm full of beers and pretzels you had to pull the card out to get back into that part of the stadium, then once again to get to your seat..

Still deciding on if we stay in the River End next year. I love the atmosphere and my SoB brothers but to be honest Im 75% intrested in watching the game and disecting it so to say and some people in the RE act as if its "Celebration>Game"
Seriously, some people pay absolutely no attention to the game and put singing, jumping, and getting shit-faced before actually watching the game...which is cool..but i love love love the beauty and tactical aspect of the game so much more then singing the same 8 songs over and over again.

Think a tipping point for me was last year towards the end of the season. I took a buddy who has never been to a MLS game let alone any soccer game so he was just watching the game and enjoying it. Well, I dont know if it was directing at him, or any of the mutiple people who dont sing for every minute, but this one SoB section leader screamed a few feet from him into our section "Sing you CUNTS!!!"

To be completely honest..I only really Ok'd us getting Supporter seats again so we could have access to the the locker room :)
I LOVE this part of the game and the videos I get as much as the actual game I think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p3K2mpKBv0&list=UUz-9Y2pVZ1LYkQCzn_EDCtw&index=2&feature=plcp

yeah Sons of Ben have lost their way, I joined about halfway thru the first season because they cared about creating an atmosphere and the club and game came before everything else and I wanted to be part of that.

Now like you said, all they care about is getting pissy drunk with each other, the action on the field is just background noise to their party. Our atmosphere was a joke last year compared to 2010, they didnt care at all about singing/chanting except our infamous SOMB chant.

Anytime we went down a goal, the place was quiet as a library, they rarely helped rally the troops until way after the fact. The players give them way too much credit and a lot of them have let it go to their heads. The tipping point for me was all the fights and bottles getting thrown on the field at refs and opposing players on a weekly basis for the last half of the season, I'll happily sing along with their chants, but other than that, I'm done with them.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
1. RSL (not quite the west coast) are a small club, but they have lots of talent and play attractive soccer
2. Vancouver will probably be the most improved team, they have tons of attacking options
3. Portland has the best fanbase in terms of stadium atmosphere, and a really good team

Chivas are a mess, San Jose must prove that they're "interesting" and Seattle are a "big club" imo...
Thanks for input from you and Hieberrr. After doing some more reading, I'm going to be a Timbers supporter this season and see how that goes.

Thanks for input from you and Hieberrr. After doing some more reading, I'm going to be a Timbers supporter this season and see how that goes.

You have just made yourself a mortal enemy to me..well, at least till after Mondays game :)

Also..
Woke up to my wife ordering me "MLS Direct Kick"! Gonna be a great weekend :)

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I am so pumped for this weekend. After finalizing my FF roster (Which proved to be rather difficult due to the budget they give you.), I am ready to watch some MLS!

Hieberrr

Week 1 officially starts today, folks!

HYPE + 1000. I'll be watching the Vancouver-Montreal match
3AQmK.gif

Excellent choice! I'm sort of a background Timbers supporter myself :p

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really looking forward to how Vancouver does this year. I just want to see if Martin Rennie's success can continue on this level.

xbhaskarx

Only three hours until Vancouver-Montreal... predictions?

RSL
Los Angeles
Seattle
Vancouver
Portland
----------
San Jose
Dallas
Colorado
Chivas

Houston
New York
SKC
Toronto
Philly
----------
DCU
Columbus
Chicago
New England
Montreal

CCL: LA
MLS Cup: LA over KC
SS: RSL
OC: Seattle

MVP: Rosales / Morales
Golden Boot: Wondo / Montero
Defender: Cameron / Olave
Rookie: Rowe / Silva
Coach: Rennie

So todays agenda for watching MLS is..
Vancouver vs. Montreal at 6pm
D.C. vs. Kansas City at 7:30pm
San Jose vs. New England or LA vs. Salt Lake at 10:30pm

So damn happy I got Direct Kick this year :)
I feel like one of those guys who love the baseball or football or something finally instead of an MLS fan playing Wheres Waldo trying to find a game to watch :)

Socreges

Banned
TSN just opened their Whitecaps/Impact coverage by talking about Toronto FC (and LA Galaxy) while at BC Place. Then they cut back to commercial.

Stay the course, TSN.
KuGsj.gif

ANYWAY....... GO CAPS!

zedge

Come on, brother. Western Canada regionalism gotta represent.
Haha! Do the Sounders count? ;)

I watch all the Canadian teams, so awesome there are three now, but Montreal will be my #1 now. :)

I would sell my soul for an mls team in Calgary..:(

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Convey is going to play up top on the left in a 4-3-3. I've never thought he was very good at defending. Hopefully Najar embarrasses him like he did when we last played against him in San Jose.

I love that MLS uploads highlights and goals so quickly. Le Toux's goal was nice. Why isn't Valentin starting?

Slizz

Fuck, MLS live ain't half bad.... Pretty much on par with ESPN3.

That being said I won't pay for it, but I do have NBC Sports and Galavision with ESPN so I'll be able to catch A LOT of MLS this season.

Wish Miami had a team still so I could truly follow and cheer.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, MLS live ain't half bad.... Pretty much on par with ESPN3.

That being said I won't pay for it, but I do have NBC Sports and Galavision with ESPN so I'll be able to catch A LOT of MLS this season.

Wish Miami had a team still so I could truly follow and cheer.

Fort Lauderdale Strikers? I'd have a hard time supporting a team owned by Traffic though.

Slizz

Fort Lauderdale Strikers? I'd have a hard time supporting a team owned by Traffic though.

I've been to a few Strikers games and they are pretty damn entertaining, they lost in the final this previous season. Main problem is they are pretty far away from where I am at and the stadium is very very scary/horrendous/not good.

HomShaBom

Banned
ugh why do they write "stoppage time 2 min" on the screen, its ugly, just +2 like everyone else in the world.

edit: MLS...Feel free to do some half time analysis or...something

Hieberrr

Vancouver looking amazing out there. Quick and decisive passes, simple one-two's and the defense is holding up quite nicely; great work overall.

Patrice Bernier is looking slow and shit for Montreal. The rest of the rest of the team is passing the ball extremely weakly, so their passes are picked off easily. They are completely neglecting the wings and as a result, there are barely any chances for crosses. Also, players are not going on runs.

Oh, and DAT Y P LEE!

Socreges

Banned
[EDIT] Hieberr, yeah, lots of turnovers from Montreal. They haven't been able to create space like Vancouver has and have had to rush their passes.

ugh why do they write "stoppage time 2 min" on the screen, its ugly, just +2 like everyone else in the world.
Because it's the MLS and we can't have good things.

TSN's broadcast didn't even put the stoppage/injury time. But they DID have a NIVEA FOR MEN advertisement that was big enough to obscure some of the players on the pitch. Good stuff.

HomShaBom

Banned
TSN's broadcast didn't even put the stoppage/injury time. But they DID have a NIVEA FOR MEN advertisement that was big enough to obscure some of the players on the pitch. Good stuff.
I saw that too haha. Actually they did flash +1 for a millisecond after the whistle had already went off..=/

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Does Vancouver have a large Korean population? I was just wondering if Vancouver took that in account when they signed Lee Young-Pyo to get some jersey sales.

Socreges

Banned
Does Vancouver have a large Korean population? I was just wondering if Vancouver took that in account when they signed Lee Young-Pyo to get some jersey sales.
Not really. About 40,000 Korean.

But 400,000 Chinese. Almost 1/4 of the population. That's why they signed this guy, the first Chinese-born person to ever play in the MLS.

The Canucks would have a token Chinese player or two if they knew how to skate.

Top Bottom