• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Hieberrr

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
The fans broight in vuvuzelas *thumbs down*

I also hate how Arlo White says the players' names. E.g., "Maerrrrraaaaa has the nerves"

xbhaskarx

^ The NBC press releases said something about the MLS games being available on their website...

It's on the NBC Sports Network. Used to be Universal Sports.

No, used to be Versus. Universal Sports still exists, it will be showing the Olympic qualifying games in a few weeks.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I think White has done a decent job so far. I like when he or Martino commented about Villar complaining about everything to the official.

Tabris

GO WHITECAPS!! I got nice seats for the opener.

5VKYU.jpg

Next game I'm going to sit with the Southsiders as they are so much better than the rest of the fans.

Just got back from Pizza Hut Park (I'm in Dallas visiting some relatives). For Dallas' reputation, I was impressed by the fan experience, attendance, and passion. It was no Livestrong or Century Link, obviously, but the atmosphere was quite good. Not a sellout, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got 17-18k of their 20k-ish capacity. I'm surprised by the negative reaction to the attendance in this thread; I think it may be because the cameras happen to catch the unshaded side of the field, which is a less popular area to buy seats for obvious reasons. We'll see if they can keep the momentum up when it's not Henry and the Red Bulls playing, when it's not opening weekend, and when it's not 60 degrees out (though it's worth noting that the weather had been miserable here in Dallas over the past few days and the forecast called for thunderstorms; that might have discouraged a few people).

I suppose I'm inclined to think well of the organization because of what they did for me before the game started. I went up to one of the people taking tickets at the gate and asked him for directions to the ticket shop. He asked, "how many do you need?" I told him I was there alone, and he produced a ticket from his pocket. Apparently he ran across a party that was missing a member, and they decided to give the ticket to him. He gave it to me for free, and the seats were incredible. Row 20, very close to midfield. One of the best seats in the house, 75 dollar nominal value :D

Dallas impressed me. Their counter-attacks looked as dangerous as they did back when Ferriera was at the top of his game. I was particularly impressed that they managed to look dangerous despite the fact that Shea had a pretty atrocious game. This team is more than just their stars, and look good to make a run at significant trophies with the fixture congestion that plagued them last season in the rear view mirror.

New York, on the other hand, looked toothless for most of the game. For the first thirty minutes, in particular, they were unable to hold much possession or get anything in the way of dangerous chances. They only looked good when Kenny Cooper came on, but to be fair, they played magnificently for about 15 minutes after he came on, where they got one goal and looked good to equalize. It's still troubling that, with all the technical talent on the NYRB squad, their only answer to a George John-less Dallas defense was to lob long balls to a target forward.

I was also perplexed by Henry's role in NY's system. For most of the game he looked not so much like a Trequarista or attacking mid as he did a box-to-box Center Mid. There were even a few touches where he was occupying the space of a fullback! I would imagine that Henry's clinical finishing would be the most valuable part of his game to NYRB. I guess they don't want to shackle a player as fluid and creative as Henry. And to be fair, the NYRB roster is stacked with talent that can finish, while their ability to create chances is only above average, so I suppose it makes sense that they'd cast Henry in a more creative role. And he did do a great job springing Kenny Cooper on that goal, so I guess it worked in a way.

Anyway, I had a blast, and I'm really looking forward to the CCL quarters coming up =)

(As a side note, I think the OT is a little too defensive. I'd go with something like "2012 Major League Soccer OT- Jump In, the Water's Fine." or "2012 Major League Soccer OT- Counting Down the Seasons till We Get Our Own Sticky," if a change is still possible.

Other than that, great job with the OP! I'll update the FAQ and PM the result to Akim when I get the chance.)

This has probably already been posted in the thread, but I love this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1DJ008t9Y

I kinda wanna become an RSL fan now...

Ive been following that guy on twitter since last season, drummer for Rancid and a die hard RSL fan. Cool guy :)

Damn Pkm, 79 points for the week.

Fantasy gods shined down on me I guess. Le Toux scoring 4 minutes in while Sapong and Hainult hit game winners in the dieing minutes. Regret not giving any of them the arm band but I figured Busch was a safe bet vs. NE.

Fun fact: yesterday against RSL, LAG conceded 37% of the goals (3) that they conceded at home throughout the entirety of last year (8).

Finished above the average with 3 players not contributing points this week :D

I just checked the Fantasy points for my leagues and global.

I'm officially in first place in every league and #4 global!
Wont last long tho..couple gusy ahead or below me have Portland/Philly players on thier squads lol.

All I gotta do is hope Jewsberry does horrible as well as Gomez, Mwanga and Williams do "OK"..any of them have massive games, Im dropping a few places :(

My Union tonight. Hoping someone steps up to replace Le Toux. Just not sure if it'll be Mwanga, Jack Mac, Adu or one of the new guys. Thinking the first one.

Paches

Do we get to talk about Concacaf Champions League games with MLS teams in them? Would love to see a Seattle/LA semi next round.

My Union tonight. Hoping someone steps up to replace Le Toux. Just not sure if it'll be Mwanga, Jack Mac, Adu or one of the new guys. Thinking the first one.

don't think anyone we have will come close to replacing Seba's production, we are gonna have to score by committee this year.

I'm afraid you're right, which scares the hell out of me.

overall we have a lot more talent than last year, I'm not too worried, although I do think it's gonna be a rough start to the season until our attacking players get comfortable with their roles and assert themselves

hopefully Nowak doesn't make it a habit of continuously drastically changing the lineup every week like he did last year

Top Bottom