• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I feel that if players are going to Europe, they're best suited to play in the Netherlands.

Rogers blew it when he left Heerenveen. Wasn't patient enough and he got homesick. He just doesn't have the technical ability or the ability to read the game to succeed. I don't think he is an above average MLS player.

Hieberrr

TFC can't get Nelsen to coach yet since he is still plying for QPR so they got this college coach named Fran O Leary to fill in the interim. Hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhaahahaahahahahhahahah I love this league.

FML. Way to pick a dude from one of the worst teams in the PL.

Askani

D.C. United's new pickup:

D.C. United today announced that the club has signed Brazilian striker Rafael as a young Designated Player on loan for one year. Rafael, 20, joins the Black-and-Red from Bahia of the Brazilian Serie A, where he has made 36 first-team appearances and has scored 10 goals. Per club and League policy, the terms of the deal were not disclosed. Rafael will be available for selection pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and visa.

I guess it's decent enough. I was expecting something bigger though.

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2013/01/young-brazilian-striker-rafael-on-loan-as-designated-player

Askani

Wow. My birthday is on March 15th, SKC game on the 16th, girlfriend's birthday and St Patricks day on the 17th...

I may very well be drunk and partying for 3-4 days straight.

Osorio

Wow. My birthday is on March 15th, SKC game on the 16th, girlfriend's birthday and St Patricks day on the 17th...

I may very well be drunk and partying for 3-4 days straight.

Pisces power.

Having your birthday by St. Patrick's Day and the beginning of the MLS season is the best.

In other news MLS is the highest attended non-European league in the world

Even though it looks like they forgot Mexico and Argentina in that chart...

BADIYDsCIAE2TE6.jpg:large

blurrygil

Oh, goody. "Rivalry Week". How........cute.

And I still hate this incredibly unbalanced schedule.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten Garber and Co applying for trademarks on all of the supporters-based cup names (ie. Cascadia Cup, Trillium Cup).

I love my domestic football but I absolutely loathe who is managing it and how...

Hieberrr

Oh, goody. "Rivalry Week". How........cute.

And I still hate this incredibly unbalanced schedule.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten Garber and Co applying for trademarks on all of the supporters-based cup names (ie. Cascadia Cup, Trillium Cup).

I love my domestic football but I absolutely loathe who is managing it and how...

Obvious attempt to facilitate derbies.

I have no objections to it even though it has a stupid name. If it creates progress for derbies, I'm all for it.

Well, looks like Carlos is gonna be leaving us. Looks as if its a move to be noticed by the Columbian National team. Was hoping for a Parke/Valdez pairing...but it looks as if its gonna be Parke/Soumare.
I hope Soumare is finally ready to play. Only union game I ever walked out of was the only game he played in last year...and his FB page is just him still having a hard-on for his German team he used to play for, hardly, if ever, seems to support the Union or talk about them.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01...-year-long-loan-for-unions-carlos-valdes.html

SANTA FE CLOSING IN ON YEAR-LONG LOAN FOR UNION’S CARLOS VALDES

Philadelphia Union captain Carlos Valdes is on the verge of heading back to Colombia, and if he does, the all-star defender may never wear a Union uniform again.

The Union are closing in on a deal to send the Colombian national team defender to Colombian side Santa Fe on a year-long loan, sources confirmed to SBI on Wednesday.

The deal has yet to be finalized as of Wednesday morning, but sources with knowledge of the deal tell SBI the proposed move is a one-year loan with an option for Santa Fe to buy Valdes. The move is expected to be finalized this week.

Valdes has been pushing for a loan for several months in order to be fit heading into Colombia’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers in February. Valdes has emerged as a regular starter on a Colombia side enjoying a strong qualifying campaign in South America. Colombian national team manager Jose Pekerman was another driving force behind the move, telling Valdes that such a move could help his standing with the national team.

The success of Colombian national team in World Cup qualifying has raised the profile of players on the team, including Valdes, and a continued strong run for Colombia could earn Valdes some long looks from European suitors. If that happens, Santa Fe would most likely trigger the purchase option on Valdes (though the Union would likely be protected by sell-on fees included in this type of deal).

Santa Fe is currently competing in Copa Libertadores and is favored to advance past the group stage. That competition would also provide Valdes ample opportunity to play high-level matches as well as potentially catch the eye of scouts. Santa Fe’s first Copa Libertadores match is scheduled for Feb. 13th against Peruvian side Real Garcilaso.

An MLS All-star in 2012, Valdes was the leader of the Union defense, but his desire to make a move led the Union to acquire former Seattle Sounders defender Jeff Parke. If Valdes does leave, the Union will have Parke, Amobi Okugo and Bakary Soumare as centerback options heading into the 2013 season.

So why would the Union send Valdes to Santa Fe on loan rather than sell him outright? It’s pretty simple. Valdes’ value has the potential to skyrocket in 2013 by competing in Copa Libertadores and South American World Cup qualifying. A loan with a purchase option that includes sell-ons for the Union makes the most sense for the Union.

What do you think of this development? See the Union doing well defensively with a centerback trio of Parke, Okugo and Soumare? Hoping Valdes comes back to the Union in a year?

blurrygil

Obvious attempt to facilitate derbies.

I have no objections to it even though it has a stupid name. If it creates progress for derbies, I'm all for it.

But that's done organically, from the local/regional level. Not by pack of suit-n-tie t**ts shilling it to you.

As a supporter, I don't want Joe and Jane Fan thinking, "Gee, that rivalry looks like a fun time! Let's sign up as a supporter so we can get tickets for the next away match!" Then scalp them to the highest bidder on craigslist because they have some other sh*t to attend to and we end up with some sod that doesn't want to stand in the away section.

It dilutes the derby.

The way the league/media has been doing fine thus far. No need to start some cheap campaign.

/rant

Well, looks like Carlos is gonna be leaving us. Looks as if its a move to be noticed by the Columbian National team. Was hoping for a Parke/Valdez pairing...but it looks as if its gonna be Parke/Soumare.
I hope Soumare is finally ready to play. Only union game I ever walked out of was the only game he played in last year...and his FB page is just him still having a hard-on for his German team he used to play for, hardly, if ever, seems to support the Union or talk about them.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01...-year-long-loan-for-unions-carlos-valdes.html

Valdes obviously doesn't want to be here anymore so I don't have any problem with shipping him out. His National Team opportunity has been well documented, but another factor that the Philly blogs and BigSoccer have overlooked is the sudden purge of almost all other South and Central American players from our roster this offseason, which was done to wash away any remains from the Nowak era, but unintentionally also sends a message to him about how this club operates and treats international players that probably made it a lot easier for him to want out. I wish him well as he's been a good soldier for us and I hope the club is able to turn a good profit on his eventual sale.

Union will be fine. I have faith in Soumare, he got rushed back in there last year and played his 1 game basically limping around the pitch. Hes proven to be a really good player when healthy and that size is something you cant teach. Him and Parke will be a solid pairing and we still have Okugo who is a beast if Soumare pulls an RG3 out there on the pitch...

Hieberrr

But that's done organically, from the local/regional level. Not by pack of suit-n-tie t**ts shilling it to you.

As a supporter, I don't want Joe and Jane Fan thinking, "Gee, that rivalry looks like a fun time! Let's sign up as a supporter so we can get tickets for the next away match!" Then scalp them to the highest bidder on craigslist because they have some other sh*t to attend to and we end up with some sod that doesn't want to stand in the away section.

It dilutes the derby.

The way the league/media has been doing fine thus far. No need to start some cheap campaign.

/rant
I know and I agree that growing it organically is good. But having said that, I think certain rivalries aren't really major yet and that's what Garber and MLS want. The only way to get headlines, media attention, etc... is to do it through the league (unfortunately). Places like Toronto could make something out of it. Sure, the rivalry with MTL is strong, but it's not WHOA ALL OVER THE MEDIA strong (not like Portland-Seattle).

The scalping thing sucks though :( It's an inevitable thing. It'll get super worse if this whole rivalry takes off. Ticket prices will get jacked up tenfold :(

RBH

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said he is confident that an agreement will be reached to build a new Falcons stadium in the city, despite widespread public opposition to using hotel-motel taxes to subsidize part of the proposed facility’s roughly $1 billion cost.

“I think we’ll get a deal done on the stadium and that we’ll have a world-class stadium in the city of Atlanta,” Reed said Thursday at an Atlanta Press Club luncheon.

The first-term mayor also said he believed a new stadium would help the city compete for a Major League Soccer team.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/mayor-reed-confident-atlanta-will-get-new-stadium/nTsKp/

Askani

Since we stick some NASL stuff in here sometimes, I'm going to co-opt this thread for some Women's Soccer League news.

The list of allocated players was released yesterday: http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...55-allocated?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_BN_2

I can't find the exact time, but sometime today the players will actually be allocated to the new their new teams. We have such a strong USWNT that I hope this league picks up and really get a good hold. I want to keep that talent level for the Olympics and World Cup high.

It looks like they did a decent job of divvying up the players if they were going for parity, but Portland, Boston, and NY seem strong so far. Hope our girls perform well though!

GRW810

Hey guys, just had my account approved today so I wanted to drop in and say hi. Been checking out this thread for a while in my lurker days so I'm looking forward to contributing.

I'm a New York Red Bulls fan. Born and raised in England, which makes me a rare MLS follower in these isles. The league has a bad rep over here due to some outdated ignorance, but it's gradually changing. I managed to convert most of my friends to MLS; simply told them to actually check it out and then make a decision. 90% were impressed, stuck with it and now support teams ranging from Dallas to Seattle to New England.

I discovered the league about eight years ago when I came across a game at about 5am while up late essay writing. Having always been a big admirer of US culture I immediately fell in love with the league and wanted it to grow and grow. I chose RBNY because I've always adored NY from afar, despite having never stepped foot on American soil yet. Also because Youri Djorkaeff was playing for the then MetroStars at the time, and he had spent several years entertaining me with his play in the Premier League.

Grew up supporting Tottenham Hotspur via family, but never really cared about them passionately. As I grew increasingly bored and frustrated supporting them my love for RBNY grew and grew, even through the tought times. Two or three years ago I stopped supporting Spurs completely and now solely and proudly support the Red Bulls.

Fulfilled a dream I never thought would happen when I saw NY play live, against Arsenal in the Emirates Cup. Okay, winning that trophy was nothing to shout about, but it was a great experience.

Hoping we announce a new head coach soon, situation is dragging too much. Seemed as if Gary McAllister was the man for a long time, but with all signs pointing to Paulo Sousa I don't know what the hold up is.

On a side note, in response to the above discussion about NWSL, I think I'm going to be following Western NY Flash. Big advocate for women's football so I hope this league takes off. Pleased we got Wambach and Lloyd, but Portland's frontline of Sinclair and Morgan is scary and seemingly unfair, I'd argue.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Hey guys, just had my account approved today so I wanted to drop in and say hi. Been checking out this thread for a while in my lurker days so I'm looking forward to contributing.

I'm a New York Red Bulls fan. Born and raised in England, which makes me a rare MLS follower in these isles. The league has a bad rep over here due to some outdated ignorance, but it's gradually changing. I managed to convert most of my friends to MLS; simply told them to actually check it out and then make a decision. 90% were impressed, stuck with it and now support teams ranging from Dallas to Seattle to New England.

I discovered the league about eight years ago when I came across a game at about 5am while up late essay writing. Having always been a big admirer of US culture I immediately fell in love with the league and wanted it to grow and grow. I chose RBNY because I've always adored NY from afar, despite having never stepped foot on American soil yet. Also because Youri Djorkaeff was playing for the then MetroStars at the time, and he had spent several years entertaining me with his play in the Premier League.

Grew up supporting Tottenham Hotspur via family, but never really cared about them passionately. As I grew increasingly bored and frustrated supporting them my love for RBNY grew and grew, even through the tought times. Two or three years ago I stopped supporting Spurs completely and now solely and proudly support the Red Bulls.

Fulfilled a dream I never thought would happen when I saw NY play live, against Arsenal in the Emirates Cup. Okay, winning that trophy was nothing to shout about, but it was a great experience.

Hoping we announce a new head coach soon, situation is dragging too much. Seemed as if Gary McAllister was the man for a long time, but with all signs pointing to Paulo Sousa I don't know what the hold up is.

On a side note, in response to the above discussion about NWSL, I think I'm going to be following Western NY Flash. Big advocate for women's football so I hope this league takes off. Pleased we got Wambach and Lloyd, but Portland's frontline of Sinclair and Morgan is scary and seemingly unfair, I'd argue.

Some might argue that is our most prestigious silverware! ...sigh.

Welcome to the board!

GRW810

Some might argue that is our most prestigious silverware! ...sigh.

Welcome to the board!
Thanks!

Unfortunately so. How this club has never won a major trophy is beyond me. Such bad management and decisions along the way. Bad timing too; having a boring, unadventurous coach like Backe at the helm with Henry in the squad was two wasted years. If we don't win anything in the next two years before Thierry leaves I'll forever regret that Hans Backe was our coach for half the Frenchman's reign.

I'm hopeful that Sousa will come in and inject some flair. All incoming and outgoing activity tends to suggest we want a more fluid style with an injection of MLS experience from the likes of Olave and Espindola. The European grit of Tainio, Solli and Lindpere has been shipped out, and while they were good servants and will be missed, we were so dull and plodding so often last year.

With Sam on the wing, McCarty and Cahill solidifying the centre and Juninho providing for Espindola/Cooper and Henry, we may finally have a truly threatening attack. Just need to sort out that horrendously leaky defence though. Robles seems a good GK and Meara will continue learning his way, but we need to find a decent and consistant four-man backline. I'm opting for (L-R) Lade, Pearce, Olave, Barklage.

I'm not expecting Sousa to perform miracles and turn us into title winners, but I just want to see some good football and a sign of hope for next season maybe. Sneaking a Supporters' Shield or even the Open Cup would be fantastic to get that monkey off our back though.

Nesotenso

Welcome. As a guy who loves the MLS and soccer/football I think it is fair to say the league is nowhere the near quality of the best European leagues. But it is doing a lot of things right. Setting up all the MLS academies goes a long way to make sure that the player pool we have sticks to the game. Increasing stadium attendance and constructing soccer specific stadiums is great but the key of course is more revenue and that happens with more eyeballs on TV. That is the biggest challenge the league faces.

Osorio

Red Bulls expected to announce Paulo Sousa as head coach this week. Assistant coach will be Claudio Reyna.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/red-bulls-to-name-sousa-head-coach-reyna-assistant.html

The New York Red Bulls are the final team in MLS with a coaching vacancy to fill this off-season, but sources tell SBI they have settled on the top two men in their staff and it is two coaches recently linked to the club.

The Red Bulls will name Paulo Sousa head coach this week, sources confirmed to SBI on Monday.

Sousa was first linked to the Red Bulls job by Alexi Lalas more than a week ago and he has been chosen to lead the team under the new front office leadership of Andy Roxburgh and Jerome deBontin. Sousa recently stepped down from his coaching job in Hungary.

Sources also tell SBI that Claudio Reyna has been offered the role of being Sousa’s first assistant, and signs point to him taking the job. One source has told SBI that Reyna has stepped down from his position as U.S. Soccer’s youth technical director, a move that clears the way for him to join the Red Bulls.

Nesotenso

Some SKC news. Brian Sciaretta spoke to Zusi after his training stint at West Ham.
Interesting read.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=show&id=9807

I personally think he most likely makes the leap abroad in the 2013-2014 season if he keeps improving. Also more likely he gets a UK work permit if he ends in BPL as he would have more USMNT caps.

Also SKC owner Robb Heineman told the KC business journal the team might get a jersey sponsor this year.

Meier

How easy is it to get a Sounders ticket? I am thinking of trying to pair a game with an Alaskan cruise departing from Seattle.. the July 3rd game may work well. I see they don't go on sale until February.

How easy is it to get a Sounders ticket? I am thinking of trying to pair a game with an Alaskan cruise departing from Seattle.. the July 3rd game may work well. I see they don't go on sale until February.

We're sold out every game, so try to get them as early as possible. There's almost always something available on stupid Ticket Master's ticket exchange, or through scalpers though, so if you don't mind paying a little bit, you should be able to pick up a pair without much trouble.

The 7/3 game isn't against a particular rival or anything, so there won't be any complicating factors either.

Askani

24741359jmki1.jpg

From "We're sticking with Livestrong" to "We're both terminating the deal" in a couple days.

The quote from Livestrong:

Livestrong Statement said:
"While we don't talk about the specifics related to any of our partners, part of my role as the chief financial officer is to ensure compliance by our corporate partners," Livestrong CFO Greg Lee said. "We strive to be great partners ourselves and expect the same from those we do business with. If a partner is struggling to meet the terms of our agreement, we do everything possible to reach a fair and reasonable compromise. If no compromise can be reached, as good stewards or our brand and mission, we have no choice but to bring that agreement to an end."

An "official from the team" claims no money is owed, of course.

Sporting's response:

Sporting KC Statement said:
"We are disappointed to learn Livestrong is deploying tactics designed to force us into an unacceptable arrangement, after months of good faith discussions in which we believed progress had been made," said Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman in a statement provided to ESPN.com. "We were not expecting the foundation to treat a partner in this manner, especially given the tumultuous environment they have thrust us into over the past year -- while we staunchly defended the mission of the foundation. Our faith and trust in this partnership has been permanently damaged; therefore we are terminating our agreement with Livestrong immediately."

I'm super surprised at LS's move here. They need all the positive PR they can get and this is how it goes down?

Robb Heineman's full statement:
http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2013/01/statement-robb-heineman

ESPN story:
http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance...er-sporting-kc-end-stadium-naming-rights-deal

Fox Sports story:
http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/...t/msn_landing.html?blockID=850031&feedID=5089

blurrygil

Very quick-like, mate. If you need an in, PM me sometime and I'll get ya some. They'll be in the supporters section, however. Must be able to mental, chant, etc. If not, I can likely still get ya tix in other sections; just not as cheap.

blurrygil

Big citeh support, eh? lol just havin a go...no worries.

Welcome btw.

Good on ya for the change in support. I have a hard time going over to England cos I'm sporting Seattle colors while there. Then do a week worth of matches at Old Trafford and away (been a red since 8 yo; as there was very little Seattle support in their league long ago, though I would still attend matches) and wear some of my classic red kits n such. It's hard sometimes wearing both on a visit. But many over there hear about our league and have some level of appreciation. Even though in my mind J and A Leagues are SO much more talented on the pitch vs MLS, even though all have been around for the same amount of time.

...news about sporting + LS

Bloody hell...

Big citeh support, eh? lol just havin a go...no worries.

He is actually supporting New Jersey with his choice of team. What will he do when the real New York team finally joins the league? ;)

But many over there hear about our league and have some level of appreciation.

I always wear my Toronto FC t-shirts in the UK and I've been stopped multiple times in England and Scotland with people yelling "TORONTO FC YES MAN!!!" and stuff like that. Really surprised me. I guess some people over there have a soft spot for extremely unsuccessful teams.

Askani

Toronto just traded the overall #1 pick in the draft to New England for the #4 pick and allocation money. NE must have someone they want to be damn sure not to miss.

Hieberrr

Toronto just traded the overall #1 pick in the draft to New England for the #4 pick and allocation money. NE must have someone they want to be damn sure not to miss.

Now I really want to know who TFC will draft. Also, I'm hoping Welshman comes goes to MTL. MTL needs a good young target man, especially since they apparently hate putting Wenger at ST.

Top Bottom