• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Osorio

I'm guessing opening fixtures have been announced?

Red Bulls start the season at Portland

Home opener on March 16th against DC :D

Askani

SKC's new designated player: Claudio Bieler.

sportingkc.com said:
Sporting Kansas City introduced 28-year-old forward Claudio Bieler as a Designated Player on Tuesday in a press conference held at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park (watch live). He will be added to the club’s roster pending receipt of his ITC and P-1 Visa, and will occupy a senior international roster spot.

“He’s proven over the years that he’s a very consistent goal scorer,” Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes said. “We think he’s got a lot of good qualities that can fit into our team. Everything from his commitment to being a team player, to his work ethic out on the field, to a guy that lives and breathes for club that he plays for. We’re excited that we’re able to finally secure him and add a player of his caliber to our organization.”

Bieler, an Argentina native who holds dual citizenship in Ecuador, has scored 57 goals in 110 league games for LDU Quito in Ecuador’s Serie A and his 71 goals in 155 games in all competition for the club are the most in team history (click here for highlights). Sporting Kansas City and LDU Quito agreed to terms on an undisclosed transfer fee for the acquisition of Bieler.

More at link: http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2012/12/sporting-kc-signs-claudio-bieler-designated-player

Seems like a great signing. With the addition of Feilhaber, someone who can get the ball to him, this is a definite move towards scoring more goals. I'm happy to see these moves.

Osorio

SKC's new designated player: Claudio Bieler.

Expecting more of this in the future. Especially considering KC sells out most of it's games anyways there's no reason to get an aged star. Use those DP slots on what best fits the team's needs.

Hieberrr

I'm expecting Toronto's opener to be at Rogers Centre too.

I thought you siwtched to TFC?

Home opener at Rogers Centre? GET GRASS! While it was super fun, the extremely crappy turf at the Skydome was heartbreaking.

Nah, I siwtched to MTL last summer. I still have a soft spot for TFC and hope they succeed though (since they are my hometown team and all). I guess I'm still a fan of both (which people are going to hate me for).

There is something comforting about supporting a team that is consistently the worst in the league.
You have to really be loyal. haha

I'll never jump ship even if it stays this bad forever!
Most consistent team since day 1, yo!

Osorio

We signed Meara to a new contract.

So we have Robles and Meara fighting for the starting spot. I like that.

I'd rather have Meara because he's a local kid with a great upswing. Hopefully his hip injury didn't affect him too badly.

Osorio

Good stuff for future academy signings.

At the USL annual general meeting, the United Soccer Leagues informed its member clubs of a proposed agreement with Major League Soccer that would provide for an integrated third division/MLS reserve league. Some interplay is expected to begin in 2013, with full integration of the plan coming in 2014.

The details as understood are:

1. If an MLS city has a USLPRO team nearby, MLS will provide 5 players and pay their salary.

2. If there’s no USLPRO team, the MLS reserve side will become a new, permanent team in USLPRO.

3. All USLPRO teams will have an MLS affiliate.

It’s unclear at this point how far along the proposal is, though separate sources have confirmed that discussions are ongoing.

http://nasn.tv/2012/mls-working-with-usl-pro-on-reserve-league-integration/

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So can anyone tell me why Montreal's strategy is to be an Italian retirement home? A census from 2006 says 7% of the population is Italian.

So can anyone tell me why Montreal's strategy is to be an Italian retirement home? A census from 2006 says 7% of the population is Italian.

It's because Joey Saputo is part of the Italian mafia.. seriously though it's probably because of his Italian background that he is making foolish decisions.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Rumor swirling that Peguy Luyindula will join the Red Bulls as well.

Guy played for Lyon from 2002-2004, makes sense.

Do I want him? Only if he makes less than Cooper.

Luyindula has terminated his contract so I assume he'll sign with NY in a few days.

Hieberrr

Something about a Italian type of game, which is why Saputo is looking for a coach that knows the European game, knows English, and knows French. So I'm assuming we'll either see a French or Italian coach. I really doubt a coach from MTL or any current MLS coach fits the bill. As for the players, I think Saputo wants to put together a squad that can play Euro-esque ball >>> Which means bringing in guys who have the instinct and feel for the game. Unfortunately, these guys are old as fuck.

EDIT: I do think instead of I don't think.

Something about a Italian type of game, which is why Saputo is looking for a coach that knows the European game, knows English, and knows French. So I'm assuming we'll either see a French or Italian coach. I really doubt a coach from MTL or any current MLS coach fits the bill. As for the players, I don't think Saputo wants to put together a squad that can play Euro-esque ball >>> Which means bringing in guys who have the instinct and feel for the game. Unfortunately, these guys are old as fuck.

they should sign some more guys from serie b, there are some good players there and i'm sure they could find a couple of youngish guys who would like to try and play in north america. instead of only going after serie a retirees, i mean.

a lot of serie b players grew up in the youth academies of top clubs so they have at least a better understanding of the game than your average american player.

Hieberrr

I guess Di Viao and Nesta did okay. Bernier and Felipe were two of the best players for Montreal this season I thought.
The players you mentioned did pretty well. I know Di Vaio had a dry spell where he wasn't really effective though. Overall, I'm happy with how he played this season.

I thin Felipe is a super solid player; he's my favourite player on the team. I'm a little skeptical with Bernier, I thought he was too one-dimensional and too slow.

they should sign some more guys from serie b, there are some good players there and i'm sure they could find a couple of youngish guys who would like to try and play in north america. instead of only going after serie a retirees, i mean.

a lot of serie b players grew up in the youth academies of top clubs so they have at least a better understanding of the game than your average american player.
For sure. I think going after young Serie A talent is going to be next to impossible since most, if not all, Serie A teams are looking to keep and grow their young players. I do however really want to see more Impact academy players make the side and I really want to see more of Wenger at striker. Wenger at striker = more time as the target man = more development as a target man = me wet.

Thoughts?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...ides-mls-as-'struggling'-to-take-hold?cc=5901

I don't agree with his points but maybe I'm just a little biased for the league and against him. I just don't see how competing with the NFL, NBA, and NHL by changing the calendar will help MLS grow in the USA. The league continues to grow each season as is so I'm not sure what are his unrealistic expectations. I think money more so than anything else will get the best players from around the world eventually wanting to play in the league as well as America's best athletes to at least consider playing soccer compared to our other sports. Right not there is no tangible incentive.

EDIT: Seeing how I live in New Jersey, not sure how I forgot to include weather as another reason against a change of calendar. Yes, the games can still be played but it definitely will not help attendance. http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/soccer-anyone-its-snowing-out-you-know/

I'm genuinely surprised at Blatter's remarks. It seems like he was expecting an American league to rival the EPL and NFL right out the gate after hosting a World Cup, which seems pretty unrealistic to me. MLS isn't as big as those, but it has a passionate fanbase, is no longer in existential danger, and outdraws several major leagues in in-person attendance. It's has the 11th best attendance of all soccer leagues. It's doing fine.

Askani

It's in North America competing against the NFL, the NHL, MLB. Still, it's gaining more ground every year. More and more fans are coming in. They are making more money. They are striking TV deals. New stadiums are popping up for each team. The league is growing and shows no signs of stopping.

His expectations for an EPL style league that is just as competitive as the EPL in 2-3 years were and are unrealistic.

Nesotenso

Blatter is a fucking idiot. Dude still thinks that most of the teams play in NFL stadiums. Switching to August-May schedule would kill the stadium attendance at games in the winter, one of the positive MLS has going for it. I have no idea if Russia follows August-May and how they do it.

And compete with Europe for better economic might ? Sure that can happen and players wouldn't give a fuck about the calendar if they were offered multimillion dollar deals. For that to happen the league needs more income which will only increase by improving the dismal TV situation. This World Cup cycle is crucial in that regard.

Osorio

If MLS had top quality soccer average attendances would be above the Bundesliga and TV ratings would be solid as well.

However, MLS competes with not only 4 other major professional sports leagues all of which have high ticket prices and only 1 has fewer games per season than MLS, but it has to compete with both European league, Mexican league, and South American leagues.

I have no doubts that MLS will be a huge league one day but that will come at a slow pace. The salary cap needs to go up, and youth development will have to get better. Once those two things happen there will be a plentitude of young talented players throughout the league that are both physically and technically sound.

I can see where Blatter is coming from but he's talking as someone who has never lived in the U.S.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Thoughts?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...ides-mls-as-'struggling'-to-take-hold?cc=5901

I don't agree with his points but maybe I'm just a little biased for the league and against him. I just don't see how competing with the NFL, NBA, and NHL by changing the calendar will help MLS grow in the USA. The league continues to grow each season as is so I'm not sure what are his unrealistic expectations. I think money more so than anything else will get the best players from around the world eventually wanting to play in the league as well as America's best athletes to at least consider playing soccer compared to our other sports. Right not there is no tangible incentive.

EDIT: Seeing how I live in New Jersey, not sure how I forgot to include weather as another reason against a change of calendar. Yes, the games can still be played but it definitely will not help attendance. http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/30/soccer-anyone-its-snowing-out-you-know/

you see those reasons alone is why people from around the world keep away from MLS.

Osorio

you see those reasons alone is why people from around the world keep away from MLS.

I would think that once MLS is an entertaining league to watch as a neutral, fans throughout the world would be happy to have a league to watch during their off-season.

Askani

I'm seeing on Twitter that Freddy Montero is being loaned to the Millonarios (Columbian Football League) for 6 months with an option to extend and buy. I don't think it's confirmed yet but lots of people are reporting it.

Surprised they are letting him go if true.

I'm seeing on Twitter that Freddy Montero is being loaned to the Millonarios (Columbian Football League) for 6 months with an option to extend and buy. I don't think it's confirmed yet but lots of people are reporting it.

Surprised they are letting him go if true.

The Sounders are pretty hard up against the cap, so it makes a little bit of sense, particularly if the loan/sale terms are good enough to net us some allocation. It also makes sense if the rumors about us signing Joan Verdu are true, who also plays in a kind of Trequarista role.

EDIT: Just saw that the transfer offer is rumored to be at $4.5 million. If I'm understanding the arcane transfer rules correctly (always a difficulty), that'd be enough to net us the max allocation from the sale of $600k or so - enough to pay down a new DP signing's cap hit for two years in a row. If those are the terms, I'm really happy about the deal, though I'll miss Fredy.

Osorio

Montreal Impact picks up 31-year old Italian midfielder Andrea Pisanu from Bologna on 1-year loan #MLS

And it continues.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What a terrible choice. A guy that hasn't coached in a few years, no MLS experience, jumped around coaching so many different Swiss teams...

So Ives is reporting that TFC is replacing Paul Mariner with a new head coach: Ryan Nelsen.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/breaking-tfc-set-to-name-nelsen-new-head-coach.html

On the one hand, I'm thrilled to have Mariner out but this new guy has never coached before and hasn't even officially retired as a player yet.
Seems like a risky move for a team that came dead last and has to do a lot of work to hire someone with no coaching experience.
That's the Payne way brah.

Hieberrr

So Ives is reporting that TFC is replacing Paul Mariner with a new head coach: Ryan Nelsen.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/breaking-tfc-set-to-name-nelsen-new-head-coach.html

On the one hand, I'm thrilled to have Mariner out but this new guy has never coached before and hasn't even officially retired as a player yet.
Seems like a risky move for a team that came dead last and has to do a lot of work to hire someone with no coaching experience.
Anyone is better than Mariner. Wait no, everyone is better than Mariner.

TFC can't get Nelsen to coach yet since he is still plying for QPR so they got this college coach named Fran O Leary to fill in the interim. Hahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhaahahaahahahahhahahah I love this league.

Top Bottom