• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

Pile of bullshit.

Barnes best case that he has a really, really low chance of reaching is Glen Rice. And that's only if he works really hard on shooting and shooting off the dribble. This kid went back to school to "improve his brand," which should show you how full of himself he is. All he did was hurt his stock. If I had the pick where he is supposed to go I would get on the phone with a team like Denver and try to get Gallo or the Hornets with Gordon because this kid's stock will drop after people see him play a few games.

PJ has no position and no real skill set that looks good at any of the forward positions. He's the worst type of tweener; one that can't shoot. People like him because during workouts and shoot arounds he looks like a player. He's big and athletic so people cream their pants when he shows a little hand and goes up for a few dunks. And when I see the way he acts I always think of Kwame Brown.

Gabyskra

Banned
This kid went back to school to "improve his brand," which should show you how full of himself he is.

When Anthony Davis was interviewed by Kimmel, he was also talking about "his brand" even though he was barely able to form a complete sentence. Just repeating agents' talk. I don't like those kids. Remember all the fuss that was made around the huge contracts that the Webber - Big Dog generation got, and how it led to the rookie scale? Well, this is ten times worse IMO. At least they were paid for something somewhat related to basketball reasons ™, not as a pure product.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
When Anthony Davis was interviewed by Kimmel, he was also talking about "his brand" even though he was barely able to form a complete sentence. Just repeating agents' talk. I don't like those kids. Remember all the fuss that was made around the huge contracts that the Webber - Big Dog generation got, and how it led to the rookie scale? Well, this is ten times worse IMO. At least they were paid for something somewhat related to basketball reasons ™, not as a pure product.

it is ok for teams and GMs to evaluate players by stock, but heaven forbid a kid looks at the NBA as the multi-billion dollar industry it is..

Gabyskra

Banned
it is ok for teams and GMs to evaluate players by stock, but heaven forbid a kid looks at the NBA as the multi-billion dollar industry it is..

Who said there was no issue with owners putting the business ahead of the quality of play? I remember people criticizing Sterling for instance, and that was not just for racism or his ability to turn in a profit, it was because they felt his policies hurt the quality of the play. Sports is a different kind of entertainment that is more substance than it is flash, when you love the game more than you like the various ways it is made a show, because people who love basketball realize it should be about basketball first... When teams focus on the bling, I'm disappointed also. When the NBA changes the rules to give the edge to the current flavor of the week, same shit. When players do it, it's even worse.

Blackace

Who said there was no issue with owners putting the business ahead of the quality of play? I remember people criticizing Sterling for instance, and that was not just for racism or his ability to turn in a profit, it was because they felt his policies hurt the quality of the play. Sports is a different kind of entertainment that is more substance than it is flash, when you love the game more than you like the various ways it is made a show, because people who love basketball realize it should be about basketball first... When teams focus on the bling, I'm disappointed also. When the NBA changes the rules to give the edge to the current flavor of the week, same shit. When players do it, it's even worse.

Why is it worst for the players? They are making the smallest amount of money compared to the owners but doing all the work...

Gabyskra

Banned
Why is it worst for the players? They are making the smallest amount of money compared to the owners but doing all the work...

It's not that much worse, it's pretty much another aspect of the same phenomenon, but because they are the product themselves and have lost some sense of humility. They say dumb shit like Anthony Davis does when he says "the unibrow is me, it's my brand". Maybe you would expect young players that are still learning so much to focus on improving their game rather than think of gimmicks. There's this obsession with cashing in before they're even 20. I mean, it's not class war there. During the strike, I sided with the players, but I'm talking about what takes away from the quality of basketball played, and I think young players are a bit responsible for an evolution which I don't like. I think the rookie scale did plenty of good, but the problem persisted and is developping in a new way...

Is there a way to prove that humility and a hierarchy mean something to the quality of basketball played? World Championships 2002. Olympics 2004. World Championship 2006.

Emwitus

It's not that much worse, it's pretty much another aspect of the same phenomenon, but because they are the product themselves and have lost some sense of humility. They say dumb shit like Anthony Davis does when he says "the unibrow is me, it's my brand". Maybe you would expect young players that are still learning so much to focus on improving their game rather than think of gimmicks. There's this obsession with cashing in before they're even 20. I mean, it's not class war there. During the strike, I sided with the players, but I'm talking about what takes away from the quality of basketball played, and I think young players are a bit responsible for an evolution which I don't like. I think the rookie scale did plenty of good, but the problem persisted and is developping in a new way...

Is there a way to prove that humility and a hierarchy mean something to the quality of basketball played? World Championships 2002. Olympics 2004. World Championship 2006.

Humility my foot.....The guy has been working most of his life to get to the nba and now its about to pay off. What else do you expect him to do? I'd start building my brand too if i were in his situation. Seriously.

Gabyskra

Banned
Humility my foot.....The guy has been working most of his life to get to the nba and now its about to pay off. What else do you expect him to do? I'd start building my brand to if i were in his situation. Seriously.

Yeah cos what I'm saying is totally that he should be working for free.

Blackace

As the sport grows and the rewards do as well it is expected.. But I don't feel that he had disrespected anyone or hurt the game by thinking a business move... If he can't deliver it won't matter..

People have been making money on these kids almost their entire lives so I have zero issues with them wanting to take advantage of their position

Emwitus

As the sport grows and the rewards do as well it is expected.. But I don't feel that he had disrespected anyone or hurt the game by thinking a business move... If he can't deliver it won't matter..

People have been making money on these kids almost their entire lives so I have zero issues with them wanting to take advantage of their position

Pretty much. I saw an interview with him where he couldn't wait to get to the nba and start helping his family out. His been developing his game since he was a kid and now he gets to be paid to do it and help his mom and relatives. No greater feeling than that. Get the most of out of it, who knows what's going to happen tomorrow? look at oden.

Gabyskra

Banned

Again, my point is not about the incentives and whether or not they're worth money that would otherwise go to owners (I'm with you on that), it's about the cultural element to it and how overinflated egos focusing on side issues at a very young age impact the quality of their play. They're kids dealing with issues they're not ready for, it is a structural problem that should eventually be dealt with, if the goal is for the game to move forward.

Blackace

Again, my point is not about the incentives and whether or not they're worth money that would otherwise go to owners (I'm with you on that), it's about the cultural element to it and how overinflated egos focusing on side issues at a very young age impact the quality of their play. They're kids dealing with issues they're not ready for, it is a structural problem that should eventually be dealt with, if the goal is for the game to move forward.

In the states most pro sports have the same issues.. Even some kid out of college really isn't ready to deal with millions of dollars and the spotlight but that is the peak of their career.. I would say that ALL big money professional sports are setup the same.

Basketball just has a much smaller roster and the stakes are higher for most of these kids.. But I do not believe it is stopping the sport for developing

RBH

Today is the day!

iby0qpT7SigquG.png

1308031181925.jpg

In about 12 hours the Orlando Magic will win the rights to Anthony Davis. I can feel it.

sigh.

Bitch, I outlined last page why New Jersey will likely just keep their lotto pick and sell Deron on playing with him cause they aint got any contracts on the books to make a Dwight trade work.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bitch, I outlined last page why New Jersey will likely just keep their lotto pick and sell Deron on playing with him cause they aint got any contracts on the books to make a Dwight trade work.

First of all its Brooklyn not New Jersey.

Secondly it's gonna be MJ that is trading the rights to Anthony Davis for Dwight.

Sounds like the Wizards' may trade down or out of the draft to get rid of Blatche and Shard.

Draftexpress said:
Hear they might try to move the pick if they don't get #1. RT @scotteharris4: Don't the wizards already have an MKG type in chris singleton?

But according to multiple league sources, the team will look to move Lewis and Blatche prior to the draft before paying them not to play for the organization. Grunfeld intimated last month that Blatche could return.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...y-davis-no-1/2012/05/29/gJQAEVeF0U_story.html

That sounds cheap and self-destructive.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All-Star point guard Deron Williams has made one decision about his free agency: If the Brooklyn Nets win the No. 1 pick in the NBA's draft lottery on Wednesday night – and the chance to secure Kentucky center Anthony Davis – it won't be enough for Williams to sign a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"It's Dwight Howard or bust," said a league source who has spoken to Williams.

Williams doesn't want to stay with the Nets unless they become an instant Eastern Conference contender and wouldn't accept waiting for Davis' development. The Nets have a 7.5 percent chance of winning the lottery, and sources said the organization would be willing to part with Davis for the chance to pair Howard and Williams for the franchise's move into a new Brooklyn arena next season.

Mxrz

La la la la la la

Dwight loves Orlando. Will sign a 25 year deal. Parade in the street. Prank Rose. Dance on Lebron. Etc.

All-Star point guard Deron Williams has made one decision about his free agency: If the Brooklyn Nets win the No. 1 pick in the NBA's draft lottery on Wednesday night – and the chance to secure Kentucky center Anthony Davis – it won't be enough for Williams to sign a contract extension, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

"It's Dwight Howard or bust," said a league source who has spoken to Williams.

Williams doesn't want to stay with the Nets unless they become an instant Eastern Conference contender and wouldn't accept waiting for Davis' development. The Nets have a 7.5 percent chance of winning the lottery, and sources said the organization would be willing to part with Davis for the chance to pair Howard and Williams for the franchise's move into a new Brooklyn arena next season.

The real question is... Will having Howard make the Nets instant contenders??

charsace

We love to make fun of MJ, but he didn't pick either of those guys. Matter of fact he wanted to trade the Kwame pick for Elton Brand.

The Bobcats have a gm in Cho who I think will prove to be damn good. He was right in portland when he wanted to start a rebuild around LMA, He did the right thing with the bobcats by clearing out guys and putting together a shit team to get picks.

And people are dumb. Dwight is having back surgery so most likely he won't be as good as he was before. Amare was a 30ppg , 9-11rpg guy in regards to potential before his injuries. He hasn't been nearly the same athlete since even though he is still a great athlete. Dwight's abilities are more based around athletic ability than Amare so I'm not understanding why people are quick to trade for him. Dwight's back injury is worse the Gallinari. And Gallinari has looked much stiffer in his movements since then.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Double post, but who would the Blazers pick if they got #6? None of the options there seem to make sense for the roster.

Scuttlebutt has been that they're more willing to trade #11 and #6 for a better pick or a veteran go-to guy.

charsace

Scuttlebutt has been that they're more willing to trade #11 and #6 for a better pick or a veteran go-to guy.

Leonard would be perfect for the Blazers. Teams are sleeping on him because his team was bad. I think he could turn out to be better than Drummond.

And I would love to see Ammo return to the league and do something good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom