• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre3001

LOL at Danny Ferry's wikipedia page

Shortly after his hiring as the President and GM of the Hawks, Ferry did the impossible. On July 2, 2012, he was able to trade Joe Johnson and his outrageous contract to the Brooklyn Nets for Jordan Farmar, Anthony Morrow, Johan Petro, DeShawn Stevenson and Jordan Williams, freeing up around $90 Million in cap space. Also included in the trade was a 1st round pick in the 2013 NBA Draft. The same day he traded Marvin Williams to the Jazz for Devin Harris.

Organizations like the kings, rockets and the Nets make me realize that maybe our team isn't going to win much for the next couple years, at least we aren't being run by a bunch of fucking idiots who are doing everything in their power to strangle their franchises in the future.

But the Nets blew it up the right way, and were in a good position to sign Dwight this offseason. Then he opted in and we went full retard.

I wonder if their plan involves starting Anderson and Cousins with Robinson off the bench. Not a terrible idea, but they're paying stupid money to Chuck Hayes and Travis Outlaw, and they want to re-sign Jason Thompson.

Makes no sense.

Kings front office doesn't know what an overlapped/unbalanced roster is. :(

They don't have a starter-quality SF so they sign a PF and hope to play him at SF. Sigh...

pilonv1

somebody make me feel better about Marvin Williams please

It should mean the end of Josh Howard.

And think, if you'd had the #8 pick in the draft and got Harrison Barnes, you'd never have made this trade and still be stuck with Devin Harris.

SamuraiX-

Wow a team actually appreciates Ryan Anderson's talents, you Kings fans will be singing a different tune once he plays for you guys.
Kings will make the playoffs if they sign Ryan Anderson. Book it now.

xIzdj.gif

squicken

Is this backup center the Rockets signed any good? All I'm reading is typical Morey stroking about finessing the CBA to his advantage, but haven't really seen much on whether this guy is worth the money?

Bowser

Thought Bobcats would be able to get Hickson on the cheap but he's likely to get a deal for $5-7m per from the Warriors, smh:

Sam Amico
"Hard to envision" JJ Hickson signing with anyone but Warriors, according to source with knowledge of situation. Warriors thought they had landed Hickson after he was waived by Kings during season, will make serious push for him now in free agency.
about 9 hours ago

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

He's one of the best 3 point shooters you've ever had and he's the second best rebounder on that team after Cousins.

I don't think the position change is really that big of a deal. He is versatile offensively anyway and he struggles against bangers inside, moving to SF isn't the end of the world.

somebody make me feel better about Marvin Williams please

From other site

Like it.
Things to consider. Synergy stats say that Mo ranked 80th and Devin 203 when it came to defending the PnR ball handler. That’s a huge improvement in something that we struggled with. Mo is also ranked higher at running the PnR on offense which should help Al, Sap, and Favors.

Mo also ranked higher when coming off screens, higher on shooting spot ups as well.

Mo > Devin.

Adding Marvin helps keep Hayward at 2 which creates a really long starting line up. It means not playing Harris/Mo in a pg/sg combo which means more time for Burks hopefully.

Alot of national pundits are also saying that Marvin should hopefully improve with a change of scenery. Remember he was drafted #2 over all. He’s got talent. He’s still young enough that he can improve and hopefully we can run more of a flex offense which i think will improve his game.

Marvin is also the 10th best rebounding SF in the NBA according to Locke. That’s an improvement.

This also hopefully signals the end of Josh Howard on the Jazz.

SamuraiX-

He's one of the best 3 point shooters you've ever had and he's the second best rebounder on that team after Cousins.

I don't think the position change is really that big of a deal. He is versatile offensively anyway and he struggles against bangers inside, moving to SF isn't the end of the world.

Yeah, no.

But can he defend SFs?

charsace

The funny thing is Deron, JJdon'tgiveafuck, Zombie Wallace, and Bropez will still have a better record than the Knicks
lol No. This is like the 3rd straight year people have said the Nets would be better than the Knicks. And every year I say no. And every year the Nets suck. Wallace is done. JJ is done. Brook Lopez has yet to get started. Deron might not resign.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Is this backup center the Rockets signed any good? All I'm reading is typical Morey stroking about finessing the CBA to his advantage, but haven't really seen much on whether this guy is worth the money?

He's not worth the money unless you're a Rockets homer or Kad on these boards.

diehard

Fleer
lol No. This is like the 3rd straight year people have said the Nets would be better than the Knicks. And every year I say no. And every year the Nets suck. Wallace is done. JJ is done. Brook Lopez has yet to get started. Deron might not resign.

i think its mostly because people don't realize Brook Lopez isnt really that good.

benjipwns

Banned
Hollinger:
Unbelievably, they can now get there. The most obvious way is to wait until 2013. Atlanta can sign Paul and Howard to max contracts next summer, re-sign Smith for roughly the same money he makes now (which would trump any other offer he'd likely get since the Hawks can give him a five-year deal), and likely juuuuuust squeeze in under the current cap.

The Hawks can get there in other ways too, however. Consider the fact that if Orlando decides to deal Howard sooner rather than later, Atlanta's likely offer of Horford, Teague, Jenkins and/or draft picks is likely to be as good or better than anything anybody else offers. (This, obviously, is pending whether Houston is willing to truly throw in the kitchen sink on a Howard rental).

Such a move would give Atlanta zero contracts on their books besides Howard's heading into the 2013-14 offseason; again, they could sign Paul into their cap space, re-up Smith and be on their way. Alternatively, they could make a similar offer for Paul via trade, sign Howard in free agency, and be on their way.

The wild card in all this, obviously, is whether Atlanta is still on "The List" for either of these players, or for Smith for that matter, who had been angling for a trade. But Smith's gripe was never with his hometown, but rather with the fact that the Hawks never seemed committed to winning. It's a lot tougher to make that argument if they go out and get Howard and Paul.

Looks like my prediction a year or two ago is coming true, 98 percent sure Beasley will end up on the team. Rodeo, is he a completely lost cause? Or can he save his career in another system? He won't be in anyone's shadow here. If he can find his way, could be a nice cheap peace for a young team in rebuild mode but not holding my breath.

thekad

Banned

Worthless on offense (except for offensive rebounding), but amazing on defense. And 7 feet.

So yeah, he's worth around $7.5 a year over three years, which is what he'll be getting if the Bulls don't match.
Hollinger said:
On to the next question: Is he worth it?

That's a bit of an eye-of-the-beholder question. Asik's advanced stats support the subjective viewpoint that he's one of the five or 10 best defensive players in basketball, and defense in general tends to be wildly underrated in the free-agent market (although weirdly, not in the draft). He is also, objectively, a monstrous rebounder, with his 20.1 Rebound Rate ranking sixth in the NBA last season.

Asik is a terrible offensive player, however, with bad hands, poor touch and a proclivity for illegal screens. Advanced stats seem to indicate that he takes away almost as much with his offense as he does with his defense -- but that overall he's a plus, even compared to the league average.

And that, in the big picture, makes him a second-tier starting center. And you know how much those are worth? About $8 million a year. Houston should know; they just paid nearly the same amount to the departed Samuel Dalembert.

Houston will hope Asik can improve on that prognosis by upping his offensive production to slightly less pathetic levels, with the tutelage of Kevin McHale, but even so his defense justifies the contract.

giri

Honestly, no probably not. But its pretty evident the Kings think hes better than JT. Which he is. I think the SF stuff is a ruse just because they don't want JT to leave if Orlando decides to match.

So last week he was "exposed in the play offs and i won't want to pay to keep him". Now he's "the best shooter ever and will elevate the kings to the play offs"?

lulz.

RBH

Hey guys, did anything interesting happen tod-

The Brooklyn Nets have come to terms with the Atlanta Hawks on a multiplayer trade that will land them All-Star guard Joe Johnson in exchange for several players with expiring contracts, according to sources briefed on the discussions.

The Atlanta Hawks are closing in on their second significant trade of this early offseason, agreeing in principle Monday to trade forward Marvin Williams for Utah Jazz point guard Devin Harris, according to sources briefed on the discussions.

The deal, which is pending league approval, would mean that new Hawks general manager Danny Ferry will have shed Atlanta's two most onerous contracts -- Joe Johnson and Williams -- in his first week-plus on the job.

ibkeeKJNRx2yYv.jpg

iPIfG3ETnfVKY.gif

iLKMA2cQ5BskO.jpg

iOQHFvoYDcTmy.gif

ipdpjGVyvNnbl.gif

ibzYPtoYNMkKE.gif

iiO6ffaW8TDCl.gif

i9SA3Pn4GUKiJ.gif

ip1iZn6pk6Tkv.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So last week he was "exposed in the play offs and i won't want to pay to keep him". Now he's "the best shooter ever and will elevate the kings to the play offs"?

lulz.

Think you're mixing me up with Red Blaster.

I'd like Ryno to stay but it's going to be something ridiculous. If the Kings really want him they will get him and I do think he's a really solid fit for that team. I really don't see how they think he can play SF and I don't think they mean it.

Playoff shit is just hyperbole. They're still the Kings but they do have some nice young talent. Maybe they can put it together. Getting rid of scrubs like Travis Outlaw and JJ Hickson would be a good start.

thekad

Banned
Is there some grand offseason plan, or are they just going to cobble together a bunch of okay guys for another 40-45 win season?

Well, it looks like Morey is going to renounce the rights to Lee and Camby so it seems it's a Dwight or tank plan.

Hopefully.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Looks like my prediction a year or two ago is coming true, 98 percent sure Beasley will end up on the team. Rodeo, is he a completely lost cause? Or can he save his career in another system? He won't be in anyone's shadow here. If he can find his way, could be a nice cheap peace for a young team in rebuild mode but not holding my breath.

He was basically given the keys and put in the same spot (we're rebuilding, score all you want) under Kurt Rambis and the results weren't great. Then Adelman took over, and really did give him a shot, but ultimately found that he was better off playing other guys instead of Beas.

I do think we're at the point where you can say he is what he is. This will be his 5th season and he still has the same problems he's always had: he shies away from contact, he falls in love with his jump shot (which is admittedly good), and he doesn't do much defensively.

If Adelman couldn't get him to change his game, I don't know who can.

squicken

Well, it looks like Morey is going to renounce the rights to Lee and Camby so it seems it's a Dwight or tank plan.

Hopefully.

Lowry is gone even if they can't get Howard, right? I'm not what his value is. Seems like there are a lot of decent PGs in the league right now

thekad

Banned
If they can't get Dwight, I think we'll keep Lowry and let Dragic walk. If they trade for Dwight, Lowry will be in the trade and Dragic can be resigned because of his small cap hold.

He was basically given the keys and put in the same spot (we're rebuilding, score all you want) under Kurt Rambis and the results weren't great. Then Adelman took over, and really did give him a shot, but ultimately found that he was better off playing other guys instead of Beas.

I do think we're at the point where you can say he is what he is. This will be his 5th season and he still has the same problems he's always had: he shies away from contact, he falls in love with his jump shot (which is admittedly good), and he doesn't do much defensively.

If Adelman couldn't get him to change his game, I don't know who can.

That's what I figured, thanks for the assessment. A shame, he's perfectly set up for a good nickname in Beastly. On the bright side, if he doesn't surprise us all, he aids our true goal this season...TANKING! Now to just hope it will be a cheap contract but considering he hasn't impressed, that shouldn't be an issue, hopefully.

If they can't get Dwight, I think we'll keep Lowry and let Dragic walk. If they trade for Dwight, Lowry will be in the trade and Dragic can be resigned because of his small cap hold.
Isn't it more likely that you guys keep Dragic? Thought I've heard that Lowry doesn't like the coach whereas Dragic has no issues and Lowry has been the one in trade rumors this off season. Only thing I can see affecting the decision in Lowry's favor is that he's cheaper than what Dragic's agent is asking for. We'll see how long they ask for 10m a year.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Oh, joy.

This is why this shit keeps happening. Because these dumb ass fucking fans just keeping eating up and supporting every horrible move made by our FO.

Shit, they're probably content that we're just making moves at all despite Petrie's horrible track record in free agency periods.

Ryan will channel the ghost of Peja at SF!!!

Danny Ferry got rid of Joe Johnson's contract and Marvin Williams' contract all on the same day?

So, he's basically God, right?

Now, if Cho can move Tyrus Thomas...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Given more PT Marvin Williams might have a better looking statline... Back in the 80s/90s I would have called him McKey..

But who starts at PG now for the Jazz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom