• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkaz01

Actually, i think the most shocking thing this off season is people being impressed by the Suns FO and team management.

That seems absurd to me. I generally associate it with incompetence.

Yea its kind of unnerving because you are just waiting for it to all fall apart but other than who they picked in the draft I dont see what type of moves they could have made that would have been better than the ones they did. Yea nash to NY for shump would have been the safer trade but if nash wants LA that doesnt really give them an option.

I dont know much about Lon Babby but in the last couple of days three free agents who were wanted by a whole bunch of teams walked into phoenix and agreed to sign knowing the team wasnt going to be very good. Sure the cash helps but I don't see Kerr getting that shit done if he was still the GM.

giri

Yea its kind of unnerving because you are just waiting for it to all fall apart but other than who they picked in the draft I dont see what type of moves they could have made that would have been better than the ones they did. Yea nash to NY for shump would have been the safer trade but if nash wants LA that doesnt really give them an option.

I dont know much about Lon Babby but in the last couple of days three free agents who were wanted by a whole bunch of teams walked into phoenix and agreed to sign knowing the team wasnt going to be very good. Sure the cash helps but I don't see Kerr getting that shit done if he was still the GM.

I don't know about Kerr... he was starting to learn how to really put a roster together. Him leaving resulted in the warrick, childress and hedo contracts.

TBH, we haven't over paid for a FA so far this off season. Beas for 6m isn't that bad. Goran is value if he really can produce like he did last season.

Pkaz01

Former agent. Tim Duncan, etc.

Yea i just did a quick google on him apparently he did the childress deal. However, for his defense I do think phoenix has two guys working in that GM spot Babby gets the guys to sign and works out the contracts and Blanks is the talent evaluator and decides who they go for.

I don't know about Kerr... he was starting to learn how to really put a roster together. Him leaving resulted in the warrick, childress and hedo contracts.

TBH, we haven't over paid for a FA so far this off season. Beas for 6m isn't that bad. Goran is value if he really can produce like he did last season.

To be honest I was warming up to Kerr towards the end of his reign. He did make good draft picks with whatever picks sarver left him. Maybe it was an unfair statement to make but I do agree Kerr definitely knew how to get a good team with chemistry. Of course for Babbys defense he didnt have much options after amare booked it and he was left picking up the pieces. I remember reading a source saying hedo was originally going to be signed with the intention of amare staying.

I actually think dragic 4 years 30 mil is pretty much a steal especially when he wanted 10 mil a year.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Dragic was got for a pretty decent deal, all things considered.

KingGondo

Banned
I highly doubt they'll be in this one.
They're still gonna be a strong regular season team. That kind of team basketball they play will be just as effective against 90% of teams in the league.

Not saying they'll actually get to the Finals, but most teams can't do what OKC did to them in the WCF. Heck, it took the best basketball the Thunder played all season to win in 6.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
They're still gonna be a strong regular season team. That kind of team basketball they play will be just as effective against 90% of teams in the league.

Not saying they'll actually get to the Finals, but most teams can't do what OKC did to them in the WCF. Heck, it took the best basketball the Thunder played all season to win in 6.

It'll be pretty damned hard to replicate what the Spurs did last year. I'm not saying that they'll be bad, but I seriously doubt that they'll ever be that good again.

If Memphis can stay healthy they will compete for a top 3 seed. Assuming each team stays healthy and nothing else crazy happens in free agency I see the seeds playing out like this in the West:

1) OKC
2) Lakers
3) Grizzlies
4) Clippers
5) Spurs
6) Wolves
7) .........
8) .........

with the Nugs, Mavs, Jazz, and Blazers fighting for the last two spots. Anything could happen here, but I give the edge to the Mavs and Nuggets due to their experience.

Pkaz01

If Memphis can stay healthy they will compete for a top 3 seed. Assuming each team stays healthy and nothing else crazy happens in free agency I see the seeds playing out like this in the West:

1) OKC
2) Lakers
3) Grizzlies
4) Clippers
5) Spurs
6) Wolves
7) .........
8) .........

with the Nugs, Mavs, Jazz, and Blazers fighting for the last two spots.
I said this about the Grizz last year but they didn't really improve at all this year while the clippers got a decent pick up in odom and will be working with better chemistry. I cant see them getting a better seed than the clips or the spurs for that matter who will do good in the regular season like they always do.

and Wolves over nuggets? I don't know about that we dont know how rubio is going to be when he returns and even then I still question how much better they will be than the nugs.

KingGondo

Banned
I said this about the Grizz last year but they didn't really improve at all this year while the clippers got a decent pick up in odom and will be working with better chemistry. I cant see them getting a better seed than the clips or the spurs for that matter who will do good in the regular season like they always do.

and Wolves over nuggets? I don't know about that we dont know how rubio is going to be when he returns and even then I still question how much better they will be than the nugs.
Agree with this.

I could see:

1. OKC
2. Lakers
3. Spurs
4. Clippers
5. Grizz
6. Nuggets
7. Wolves
8. Who knows?

KingKong

Minnesota is not a playoff quality team, they might sneak in the 8th seed if the bottom of the West is that bad and all you need is a little above .500 to get in

Talon

Yeah, a trio of Rubio, Love, and Pekovic should really sneak into the playoffs.

Assuming they're healthy, of course.

benjipwns

Banned
Minnesota is not a playoff quality team, they might sneak in the 8th seed if the bottom of the West is that bad and all you need is a little above .500 to get in
If Love and Pek play as they did with Rubio there all year? That's probably a playoff team. They were in that mix before Rubio went down. And he wasn't even as good as he'll be after getting rid of the rookie turnovers.

KingKong

If Love and Pek play as they did with Rubio there all year? That's probably a playoff team. They were in that mix before Rubio went down. And he wasn't even as good as he'll be after getting rid of the rookie turnovers.

They were a .500 team when Rubio got hurt (weren't they above .500 for only like one game?), and that's with them playing their best basketball for a stretch

So if all you need is about .500 to get in and they can sustain that level for 82 games then sure

Pkaz01

They were a .500 team when Rubio got hurt (weren't they above .500 for only like one game?), and that's with them playing their best basketball for a stretch

So if all you need is about .500 to get in and they can sustain that level for 82 games then sure

You have to take into consideration the teams in the west that got worse. Mavs got worse, Rockets got worse, suns got worse. That is just going to lead to a better record for the wolves who kind of only got better/stayed the same.

benjipwns

Banned
They only have to hit around .500 in the West, they can beat the shit out of the East and hit the 45ish wins needed to make the playoffs.

As an aside, Adelman is maybe the most underrated coach in league history.

linsivvi

I am pretty sure the Mavs will sign somebody to get them into the playoffs.

T-Mac and Sessions are available.

Maybe they can get Aaron Brooks too.

RBH

Just when it seemed as if Brooklyn's dream of landing Dwight Howard had been shattered, there remains a slim chance that the Nets could land the Orlando center.

A source with knowledge of the Nets' dealings told SI.com that Bosnian forward Mirza Teletovic is now likely to sign with Brooklyn for the team's mini midlevel exception (three years, combined $9 million max) rather than full midlevel exception (four years, combined $20 million max) as originally reported. It's a key distinction in any possible dealings with Howard, as it previously appeared that Brooklyn lacked the necessary salary cap flexibility to pull off a deal for the six-time All-Star and three-time Defensive Player of the Year.

The source said Teletovic's agreement to the mini mid-level would "probably" get done, and that the agreement -- which can't be signed until the free agency moratorium ends on July 11 -- was being finalized on Wednesday afternoon. Signing Teletovic to the mini midlevel exception is a borderline necessity for any realistic Howard trade, and for the Nets' general flexibility.

The new collective bargaining agreement contains several rules designed to discourage spending at the high end. One such rule creates a hard cap -- placed $4 million above the luxury tax threshold -- for any team that uses the full midlevel exception, valued at about $5 million per season, to sign a free agent. The tax will be set again at just over $70 million this season, meaning that hard cap would come into play at the $74.3 million mark.

If the Nets sign Teletovic as a free agent, they would have between $50 million and $51 million committed to just four players -- Teletovic, Joe Johnson (acquired from Atlanta on Monday), Deron Williams (who agreed to a five-year, $98 deal on Tuesday) and Gerald Wallace -- with the exact figure depending on the precise value of Wallace's salary. Adding Howard's $19.5 million salary would take Brooklyn to about $70.5 million, not including MarShon Brooks, Reggie Evans or charges for empty roster spots. The only way to fill the remaining seven spots without exceeding the $74.3 million hard cap would be to sign seven players at the rookie minimum -- an option that is simply not workable.

In theory, the Nets could send one of these high-salaried players to make room for Howard, but the chances of Orlando accepting a $40 million player are basically nil. A third team would to have to enter the equation, which is why all reported versions of an Orlando-Brooklyn trade involve Brook Lopez and Kris Humphries, players whom the Nets could sign-and-trade to friendlier contracts.

Signing Teletovic to the mini mid-level changes the game. That hard cap set $4 million above the cap only comes into play if a team uses the full midlevel. A team can use the mini midlevel and spend as much as it likes, provided that the owner is willing to pay steep luxury tax penalties. Signing Teletovic at this level, in other words, reopens the possibility of a Brooklyn-Orlando deal centered around Lopez, Humphries, Brooks and future first-round picks.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...-howard-nets-magic-mirza-teletovic/index.html

RBH

The Knicks are favorites to sign Raymond Felton, a source close to the free agent point guard told the Daily News.

Having lost out on their primary free agent target Steve Nash and with Jeremy Lin possibly signing an offer sheet with the Houston Rockets, the Knicks are committed to adding Felton, who finished last season with Portland.

The Knicks may be willing to acquire Felton in a sign-and-trade as a way to hold on to their $3 million mini-mid level exception to use on another free agent. A trade for Felton would likely include Toney Douglas.

Felton signed a two-year free agent contract with the Knicks in July 2010 and played well under Mike D'Antoni and with Amar'e Stoudemire. But Felton's promising year in New York ended when the Knicks included him in the deal for Carmelo Anthony.

Felton wasn't as productive with Denver and later Portland as he was in New York.

Felton could be used as either a starter or back-up with the Knicks, who are expected to re-sign Lin. On Wednesday, Lin met with the Houston Rockets and was expected to receive a backloaded contract offer.

Because Lin is a free agent the Knicks have the option of matching the deal.

Felton was to meet with the Phoenix Suns but after trading Nash to the Lakers on Wednesday the Suns signed free agent point guard Goran Dragic, who was with Houston last year.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...guard-raymond-felton-source-article-1.1108210

Pimpwerx

Congrats to Steve. It's the end of an era.
steve-nash-mvp-awards-kobe-trophy-nba-funny-photos.jpg

Never forget.
23141787.jpg

PEACE.

KingGondo

Banned
Doubtful, they got lucky last year because of injuries on other teams. I think Portland will be better than the Jazz this year.
Really? I don't see Portland doing shit unless Lillard and Generic White Rookie Center turn out to be better than I though.

Hibbert should help, but I don't think he makes them all that much better.

Doubtful, they got lucky last year because of injuries on other teams. I think Portland will be better than the Jazz this year.

Favors and Hayward are way way better than they were at the beginning of last season. We made it through the first half of the season with basically only Millsap and Al playing well and now the team should have 7 NBA rotation players from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom