• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

Across Las Vegas on Saturday, Rockets officials and couriers fanned out trying to deliver Jeremy Lin’s offer sheet to the Knicks in what has become an odd bit of NBA front office hide and seek.

Handing over the paper work has proved as difficult as reaching a deal to land Dwight Howard.

The Rockets have tried to deliver the offer sheet to the Knicks since Friday afternoon, but they had eluded their efforts, holding up the start of the three-day clock to match the offer or let Lin go to the Rockets, according to a person familiar with the process.

The Rockets had called and asked where they could deliver the offer sheet but were told that information would not be shared. By Friday evening, a courier called the hotel room of a Knicks official but did not get an answer. Roughly 30 minutes later, a front desk clerk reached him but was told the Knicks were not taking deliveries and that he would not come to the front desk to pick up a package.

The Rockets sent representatives to the Knicks practice on Friday and to the game on Saturday but could not find Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald.

The offer sheet was FedExed to the Knicks’ New York office and will have the receipt forwarded to the league office, but league officials said that until it can be shown that the Knicks have the offer sheet in hand, the clock on the Knicks’ three-day period to match would not begin.

The gamesmanship, though unusual, will not last. Having the offer sheet in the Knicks New York office will eventually suffice. It is expected that in time it would be delivered in Las Vegas. But for more than 24 hours, the Rockets have been unable to connect on what is normally an easy pass.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...s-scour-las-vegas-to-deliver-lin-offer-sheet/

Emwitus

Kobe/Nash/Pau/Dwight if i can have that staring lineup fuck the bench, not much the Lakers can do to improve it anyways.

Agh, how about No. 33/38(backissues)/32/Unknown back issues playing 40 mins vs 82gameseason and playoffspurs/okc. The odds are against us. I would have rathered we trade bynum for decent bench players.(younger/athletic/Gooddefensive)

wait what do the Magic get from the Cavs or Lakers for this deal?

A bunch of picks and a prospect or two from the Cavs, most likely. I can see Cleveland throwing in Thompson but not Waiters. That can give them a decent haul, but it's not a blockbuster for Orlando by any means. Houston's deal has to be better, but then you have to think, for as "all in" as Houston is supposed to be about getting Dwight, we have no concrete info on what exactly they are offering. We know they have a ton of picks and players, but which ones did they offer to ORlando? Maybe they are getting cold feet?

Darkman M

Agh, how about No. 33/38(backissues)/32/Unknown back issues vs spurs/okc. The odds are against us. I would have rathered we trade bynum for decent bench players.

Your starting center for bench players? Nah ill take Dwight anyday, save that kind of shit for the bobcats and such.

Kobe/Nash/Pau/Dwight if i can have that staring lineup fuck the bench, not much the Lakers can do to improve it anyways.

You're not going to win a title in today's NBA without a bench. Especially since Kobe, Nash, and Pau are all pretty old.

Ainge bitching about Ray Allen leaving is hilarious. The dude had to play with KG and Pierce for all those years. I would have left at first chance too.

You guys are getting me excited. Only to have my heart broken in two hours when someone tweets that the Lakers are out of negations.

At this point I don't believe anything. Dwight will still be a Magic in December.

You're not going to win a title in today's NBA without a bench. Especially since Kobe, Nash, and Pau are all pretty old.

Ainge bitching about Ray Allen leaving is hilarious. The dude had to play with KG and Pierce for all those years. I would have left at first chance too.

but we're not trading away a bunch of depth and young studs to get Bynum (hypothetically). It's a straight trade, one for one, that is an instant upgrade. Period. The bench would be shit with or without Howard. It's the same debate was the people that tried to shit on the Nash deal. Yes Nash is old and past his prime, but we didn't fucking trade Chris Paul or Derrick Rose for him. If it was either Sessions/Bynum and a shit bench, or Nash/Howard and a shit bench, I'll take the latter and sorry for not being depressed about it.

Emwitus

Your starting center for bench players? Nah ill take Dwight anyday, save that kind of shit for the bobcats and such.

If LAs best players were about Heat's age/Or the same age as when LA run for those 3 straight finals runs, I might have agreed but now.....Nah uh. LA needs help. The younger thunder is just going to get better, more confident and stronger. You see what spurs did? that's how you MANAGE a team and improvise. To clarify, i'd rather we have a better bench than howard or bynum. Keep gasol and see what bynum can bring back on the open market.

but we're not trading away a bunch of depth and young studs to get Bynum (hypothetically). It's a straight trade, one for one, that is an instant upgrade. Period. The bench would be shit with or without Howard. It's the same debate was the people that tried to shit on the Nash deal. Yes Nash is old and past his prime, but we didn't fucking trade Chris Paul or Derrick Rose for him. If it was either Sessions/Bynum and a shit bench, or Nash/Howard and a shit bench, I'll take the latter and sorry for not being depressed about it.

My point is that they have to improve their bench. With Dwight Howard or without him. Period. Expecting Nash, Kobe, Pau, Dwight/Bynum to play major minutes because the bench shits the bed? Yeah, one of those guys is going to get injured. It's a lock that it will happen.

Reave

‏@Probballdraft

According to multiple sources Magic would likely get Anderson Varejao plus picks and prospects.

Oh dear.

I hope by "prospects," they mean the rights to Dion Waiters. Otherwise, NO FAIR for Orlando.

If LAs best players were about Heat's age/Or the same age as when LA run for those 3 straight finals runs, I might have agreed but now.....Nah uh. LA needs help. The younger thunder is just going to get better, more confident and stronger. You see what spurs did? that's how you MANAGE a team and improvise.

Seeing how LA has had more success than SA, I think I'd rather follow their lead. Young guys tend to shit the bed when things get intense.

Dwight/Pau inside would be a nightmare to defend, now pair that with Kobe and Nash outside. That starting lineup would be the hardest cover in the league. Those guys down low on D would also make it real hard to get easy baskets.

Darkman M

If LAs best players were about Heat's age/Or the same age as when LA run for those 3 straight finals runs, I might have agreed but now.....Nah uh. LA needs help. The younger thunder is just going to get better, more confident and stronger. You see what spurs did? that's how you MANAGE a team and improvise. To clarify, i'd rather we have a better bench than howard or bynum. Keep gasol and see what bynum can bring back on the open market.

Kobe & Nash aren't gonna be around long, and a Bynum/Howard swap you have a superstar for years to come. It makes perfect sense for the Lakers.

Emwitus

Seeing how LA has had more success than SA, I think I'd rather follow their lead. Young guys tend to shit the bed when things get intense.

Dwight/Pau inside would be a nightmare to defend, now pair that with Kobe and Nash outside. That starting lineup would be the hardest cover in the league. Those guys down low on D would also make it real hard to get easy baskets.

You see here's the problem. LAs success came when our best players were relatively young and athletic. Shaq/kobe (before shaq started breaking down, players getting older wearing out too apart from fisher/kobe) era and Kobe/pau era (kobe knees giving out in late 2010, lost our younger bench slowly between 11/12). The signing after 2010 championship have been a cancer. Barnes, blake, kapono,murphy etc etc. We added old below average players. That's the flow in that thinking. Spurs surrounded their core with well scouted younger players. That's what I mean by following their lead.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Stupid ass Knicks seem butthurt they have to pay more for Lin.

Kobe & Nash aren't gonna be around long, and a Bynum/Howard swap you have a superstar for years to come. It makes perfect sense for the Lakers.

So let's say all that happens and you have Dwight left on that team. They wouldn't contend, even after adding a max contract or two, so what does it matter in the end? These next 3 years are everything. Put everything into them and try to win a couple rings. I don't care if you have to mortgage the future.

You see here's the problem. LAs success came when our best players were relatively young and athletic. Shaq/kobe era and Kobe/pau era. That's the flow in that thinking. Spurs surrounded their core with well scouted younger players. That's what I mean by following their lead.

How many chips did that get them?

And how is Dwight not young again? Bynum is younger but he moves much slower. That swap is a no brainer.

I'm not convinced Nash, Kobe, or Gasol could play major minutes without getting seriously injured. Wear and tear and all of that. Howard is also coming off of a back surgery. They need to improve their bench.

Darkman M

So let's say all that happens and you have Dwight left on that team. They wouldn't contend, even after adding a max contract or two, so what does it matter in the end? These next 3 years are everything. Put everything into them and try to win a couple rings. I don't care if you have to mortgage the future.

That's exactly why you add Nash and hopefully Dwight, all balls in on that starting lineup, Kobe will have alot of pressure off him and be enabled to take better shots.

Lkr

what if the magic tricked the rockets into amnestying Scola so they can sign him themselves?
conspiracy-keanu.jpg

Puddles

Banned
Kobe's legacy is just as important to me as winning it all. Don't care if that sounds lame or stupid.

Fuck Kobe's legacy. He ruined it by giving away Games 2 and 4 to OKC. We could have been up 3-1 and probably won that series if not for Kobe single-handedly giving those games away.

I can't think of a top 10 all-time NBA player who ever just completely gave away a series like that. It's by far the biggest blight on Kobe's career, bigger than him shitting the bed against Tayshaun Prince in 2004.

It's been a rough year for SG legacies. Kobe ruined his, and Ray Allen should probably be barred from ever entering the Hall of Fame after this shit he pulled with Miami. I know if I were a voter, I'd leave him off my ballot when he comes up in 2019 or whenever.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Hahah, what's the deal looking like right now?

"The Knicks are “unhappy’’ about a change in the terms of the Rockets’ offer sheet for Jeremy Lin, according to an NBA source, after the offer was bumped to $25 million guaranteed over three years"

"as the ramped-up offer sheet calls for a bump in the third year of the contract to $14.9 million from the previously offered $9.3 million, which will hurt owner James Dolan badly in luxury-tax ramifications"

This so far has been the most fucked up and strange offseason I have ever seen for the Rockets. Can't even get this shit done with.

I'm not convinced Nash, Kobe, or Gasol could play major minutes without getting seriously injured. Wear and tear and all of that. Howard is also coming off of a back surgery. They need to improve their bench.

Meh. You need 1 or 2 guys off the bench really. If LAL can get Jordan Hill back, sign Grant Hill and get something out of Morris/Glock/DJO, they'd be should be fine.

Cole and Mike Miller have rings.

Mothman91

"The Knicks are “unhappy’’ about a change in the terms of the Rockets’ offer sheet for Jeremy Lin, according to an NBA source, after the offer was bumped to $25 million guaranteed over three years"

"as the ramped-up offer sheet calls for a bump in the third year of the contract to $14.9 million from the previously offered $9.3 million, which will hurt owner James Dolan badly in luxury-tax ramifications."
Bwahahhahahahahahah, $25 million guaranteed, for Lin???

Emwitus

How many chips did that get them?

And how is Dwight not young again? Bynum is younger but he moves much slower. That swap is a no brainer.

How many chips have LA won while being known as the old/slow team? You forget Boston was still the old team vs LA in 2010. People forget LA in 2008 was the team on the fast-break young gun slaying it right and left. Spurs had a great chance to win but guess what? Their oldest player, duncan, was a cancer on that team against okc.

Again, bynum and dwight are young but my argument is not LA needs a younger center.,,but a younger better bench and the only way is swap bynum for multiple players.

That's exactly why you add Nash and hopefully Dwight, all balls in on that starting lineup, Kobe will have alot of pressure off him and be enabled to take better shots.
I guess...

Fuck Kobe's legacy. He ruined it by giving away Games 2 and 4 to OKC. We could have been up 3-1 and probably won that series if not for Kobe single-handedly giving those games away.

I can't think of a top 10 all-time NBA player who ever just completely gave away a series like that. It's by far the biggest blight on Kobe's career, bigger than him shitting the bed against Tayshaun Prince in 2004.

It's been a rough year for SG legacies. Kobe ruined his, and Ray Allen should probably be barred from ever entering the Hall of Fame after this shit he pulled with Miami. I know if I were a voter, I'd leave him off my ballot when he comes up in 2019 or whenever.

It was terrible, I'll never forget that lazy pass. Still love him tho.

"Orlando would receive Anderson Varejao (and more) Hennigan is a fan of Varejao's game. 29 years old, fair contract, fantastic rebounder." Source: MyLegionSports

squicken

what if the magic tricked the rockets into amnestying Scola so they can sign him themselves?
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/203/685/conspiracy-keanu.jpg?1321901003[/IG][/QUOTE]

He was gone any way whether they get Howard or Bynum or nothing. He's 32 and isn't part of their rebuilding. Not sure how much he would have fetched in a trade. Bad contract

"as the ramped-up offer sheet calls for a bump in the third year of the contract to $14.9 million from the previously offered $9.3 million, which will hurt owner James Dolan badly in luxury-tax ramifications"

This so far has been the most fucked up and strange offseason I have ever seen for the Rockets. Can't even get this shit done with.

This is fucking ridiculous for a guy who had an unprecedented 3 weeks of basketball. But can he play well on a consistent level is what I ask myself. It's a lot of harder to surprise people when they include you in the game plan and players have the extra incentive to shut you down every night.

This is fucking ridiculous for a guy who had an unprecedented 3 weeks of basketball. But can he play well on a consistent level is what I ask myself. It's a lot of harder to surprise people when they include you in the game plan and players have the extra incentive to shut you down every night.

A couple weeks into that 3 week run you don't think teams were focusing on him? He still put up good numbers. He's here to stay IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom