• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT3| The Barclays Center is covered in rust

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You know your outfit is shit when you get made fun of the pants you wear while having a shirt with fucking butterflies on.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Soul Playa, bite on a wooden spoon and look at this

Lakers%20Media%20Day%20Basketball.JPEG-09ff8.jpg

You'll make it through this.
The guns.

My goodness, the guns!

Who washed Boozer's hair off?
Holy shit, it is gone! :(

giri

Wade's and Chandler's escalation of the terrible fashion decision race has to be responded to by Westbrook. He needs to start wearing mismatched color shoes or something.

See, westbrook's is deliberately horrible. Thats different to the other guys who are trying to look stylish, but failing miserably. While making the money that they do.

sportspics2s-2-web.jpg

"So there I was, leaving the hotel room and Kim Kardashian was knocked the hell out on the bed."

"I really wish you wouldn't always tell this story Joe."

giri

sportspics2s-2-web.jpg

"So guys when does Dwight get here?"

I think i'm the only one... But i really dislike the nets jerseys.

They look so unfinished.

Like... the generic jersey your under 10's public school would pickup at the discount sports place.

They're not terrible but... that's because they're nothing.

They look so unfinished.

Like... the generic jersey your under 10's public school would pickup at the discount sports place.

I mean, they just posted a name on black and white jerseys, how boring can you get.

I just want to also say that I can't wait for NBA to start up. After the Cowboys horrible game, it makes me appreciate the Mavs that much more.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

They look so unfinished.

I like that they have the city name on them

Think the sonics were the last team to have it

pilonv1

AQ9H2987.jpg

"So then Zarko looks at me and asks when does he get his turn?"

barnessleeping_bts_mediaday2012.jpg

Rookie hazing for Barnes involved being told he was traded to Charlotte.

currygangnam_bts_mediaday2012.jpg

Surprised he didn't bust an ankle

Darko Milicic said:
"I'll do whatever it takes, whatever I need to do to help this team. So now, if I have to go kill someone on the court, I'll kill someone on the court."
Doc ready for war wit dat flagrant 2 in the chamber.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Looks like the Bobcats got a keeper:

New Charlotte Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap said Monday he’s not high on his team taking a lot of mid-range jump shots this season. I asked him to explain why.

“Math,’’ Dunlap replied, adding every sport is a little into “Moneyball’’ reasoning these days.

“Moneyball’’ was the bestselling book about Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane, and how he used nuanced statistics to build a more cost-effective baseball roster. In basketball, if you grid a court -- charting the likelihood a player will make a shot, versus that shot’s potential value -- the mid-range jump shot isn’t an optimal bet.

It works this way: Driving to the rim often creates a high-percentage shot, plus the bonus of a potential trip to the foul line. And a made three-pointer pays 1 ½ times the value of any jump shot inside the 3-point line.

Dunlap isn’t saying he’d bench somebody for taking an open 18-foot jump shot. But he watched a lot of video from last season, and saw the Bobcats constantly defaulting to those shots.

“We really want to play off the rim, the paint and the open 3(-pointer). I’m not big on middle jumpers,’’ Dunlap said. “The Bobcats took more of them last year than anybody in the NBA. They’re the least valuable shot you can get, where the most valuable is the free throw.’’

“You need to attack the rim in one manner or another. Getting to the free throw-line says that you’re doing a lot right.’’

Dunlap used point guard Kemba Walker to illustrate his point: Then-rookie Walker was great last season at penetrating to within six feet of the basket, but had limited success finishing those plays successfully. Dunlap said it’s the coaching staff’s challenge to help Walker discover how to turn that dribble-penetration into baskets and shooting fouls.

chizmiz

Banned
Looks like the Bobcats got a keeper:

New Charlotte Bobcats coach Mike Dunlap said Monday he’s not high on his team taking a lot of mid-range jump shots this season. I asked him to explain why.

“Math,’’ Dunlap replied, adding every sport is a little into “Moneyball’’ reasoning these days.

“Moneyball’’ was the bestselling book about Oakland A’s general manager Billy Beane, and how he used nuanced statistics to build a more cost-effective baseball roster. In basketball, if you grid a court -- charting the likelihood a player will make a shot, versus that shot’s potential value -- the mid-range jump shot isn’t an optimal bet.

It works this way: Driving to the rim often creates a high-percentage shot, plus the bonus of a potential trip to the foul line. And a made three-pointer pays 1 ½ times the value of any jump shot inside the 3-point line.

Dunlap isn’t saying he’d bench somebody for taking an open 18-foot jump shot. But he watched a lot of video from last season, and saw the Bobcats constantly defaulting to those shots.

“We really want to play off the rim, the paint and the open 3(-pointer). I’m not big on middle jumpers,’’ Dunlap said. “The Bobcats took more of them last year than anybody in the NBA. They’re the least valuable shot you can get, where the most valuable is the free throw.’’

“You need to attack the rim in one manner or another. Getting to the free throw-line says that you’re doing a lot right.’’

Dunlap used point guard Kemba Walker to illustrate his point: Then-rookie Walker was great last season at penetrating to within six feet of the basket, but had limited success finishing those plays successfully. Dunlap said it’s the coaching staff’s challenge to help Walker discover how to turn that dribble-penetration into baskets and shooting fouls.

The moneyball reasoning fails when it becomes anything more than a slight adjustment. In football, you would pass the ball all the time, and never run, if you just looked at stats. But for the air game to do anything, you need the ground game to pose a threat. If there is no midrange threat, then it's harder to get to the rim in a valuable fashion. It's all about balance.

Trying to teach Kemba how to finish at the rim seems like it would be more difficult than turning Biyombo in a postup threat.

The moneyball reasoning fails when it becomes anything more than a slight adjustment. In football, you would pass the ball all the time, and never run, if you just looked at stats. But for the air game to do anything, you need the ground game to pose a threat. If there is no midrange threat, then it's harder to get to the rim in a valuable fashion.

Ehh, James Harden never takes midrange jumpers and can still get to the rim, to the line, and open threes on most possessions (even when Durant and Westbrook are on the bench). It's really hard to do generally though.

(And teams like the Colts, Patriots, and Packers have shown recently that you can just throw the football with almost no running threat and still be very successful)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Biyombo has a much better chance at being a post threat than Kemba ever has of being a finisher. I have almost no faith in Kemba, not because he lacks the physical tools, but because has mental blocks that typically only become unhinged after the loss of family member.
The moneyball reasoning fails when it becomes anything more than a slight adjustment. In football, you would pass the ball all the time, and never run, if you just looked at stats. But for the air game to do anything, you need the ground game to pose a threat. If there is no midrange threat, then it's harder to get to the rim in a valuable fashion. It's all about balance.

we literally ran the same 6 plays all last year

chizmiz

Banned
we literally ran the same 6 plays all last year

I'm not debating the fact that the Bobcats abused the midrange game too much, I'm not crazy, but tbh, I doubt most teams run more than a handful of plays with some variations, especially with the circumstances of last season

chizmiz

Banned
(And teams like the Colts, Patriots, and Packers have shown recently that you can just throw the football with almost no running threat and still be very successful)

The Packers lacking power this season is really making their job tougher. The Colts had plenty of 1000+ yds rusher, precisely because their job was made easier by Peyton. Some people thought Addai had the potential to be Edgerrin James in his first few years...

MleBg.St.138.jpeg

"I went from being a Wildcat to an ordinary Cat. I better be compensated for this."

6MWUF.St.138.jpeg

"Hey it's me Ben Gordon. You know the Gordon that can actually make it through an entire season."

DtWw.St.138.jpeg

"I have the coolest name in the NBA and I have the arms of an Orangutan. I am Bis 'The Smack' Biyombo."

1hMHOZ.St.138.jpeg

"Right now the game is only played with one ball. I'm ahead of the curve."

1r6PSV.St.138.jpeg

"They say turnovers, I say defensive opportunity."

18j85F.St.138.jpeg

"Check out my tats, this is what 8 million a year can buy you. Ain't they beautiful?"

Westlo

P6Ln7.jpg

Super cool is high as fuck and scola is wearing his rockets shoes.

This season is going to be so great.

Supercool is going to help you to that #1 pick :( I still got a lotta love for Beas, watched a lot of Minnie games last year because of him (rubio helped too obviously) so I'll be checking out Suns games on days the Heat don't play.

giga

After seeing Melo overcome thuggery and develop a killer instinct in London, I'm really looking forward to the Lin-Shump-Melo backcourt. Y'all with my Knicks fans? This will set the franchise up for the next 5 years.

Top Bottom