• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I missed a Cavs game, and they beat the Bulls. I cracked the code!

I thought everyone here was praising the Jrue trade when it happened? Oh well, looks like the 76ers have a much brighter future now thanks to Jrue!

Nah, I thought the Davis x Nerlens future had HUGE potential. I was stunned when they traded him to the 76ers.

linsivvi

Compared to signing just John Lucas?

That's like getting prime Shaq and Ray Allen.

Well of course, but nobody can compare to the Jazz. Going from an above .500 team to worst record in the league without trading away a super star. This is goat tier level of tanking. Hats off.

diehard

Fleer
Well of course, but nobody can compare to the Jazz. Going from an above .500 team to worst record in the league without trading away a super star. This is goat tier level of tanking. Hats off.

You can't "half-tank", the second you sign Jordan Farmar instead of some d-league guy, you are officially not tanking.. is the point im trying to make.

Emwitus

You can't "half-tank", the second you sign Jordan Farmar instead of some d-league guy, you are officially not tanking.. is the point im trying to make.

I think Gtyme and Kanter were overrated. And are just average role players on a good team.

diehard

Fleer
I think Gtyme and Kanter were overrated. And are just average role players on a good team.

Hayward is probably better than your average role player on a good team and its too early to judge Kanter too harshly other than you can see he is extremely skilled on offense.

As long as Hayward gets out of his shooting slump he will probably end up as a 17/5.5/5/1.3 player this season and get paid this summer.

Favors is still really good, he just has a limited offensive game but is great on the dive on pick & rolls. With a good point guard he will be a great player.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Pay me Alert

Hayward
Kanter
Kemba
Thompson
Kawhi
Vucevic
Shump
Faried
Rubio

These are third or fourth year players looking for an extension soon. It's early but what do you guys think the market value is right now for the above?
Kemba probably will get offered some stupid money by another team.

Not looking forward to that. Biyombo is going to be worth more by the end of the year though.

Emwitus

Hayward is probably better than your average role player on a good team and its too early to judge Kanter too harshly other than you can see he is extremely skilled on offense.

As long as Hayward gets out of his shooting slump he will probably end up as a 17/5.5/5/1.3 player this season and get paid this summer.

Favors is still really good, he just has a limited offensive game but is great on the dive on pick & rolls. With a good point guard he will be a great player.

Agreed. I think Utah are actually a good point guard away from being a good team. Marcus smart maybe?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It doesn't help that Kevin Love has been playing like ass ever since the schedule toughened up.

L7: 18.6PPG, 36FG%, 30.6 3PT%, 5.1 3PTA

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
It doesn't help that Kevin Love has been playing like ass ever since the schedule toughened up.

L7: 18.6PPG, 36FG%, 30.6 3PT%, 5.1 3PTA

That's true, too. The team is totally reliant on Kevins Martin and Love and they've both been slumping. Given that we have no bench scoring to speak of, it puts the team in a really tough spot.

I didn't think we would miss Budinger this much. Chase, you just had two meniscus surgeries in two years and we're relying on to basically be sixth man of the year. No pressure, buddy.

exarkun

Pay me Alert

Hayward
Kanter
Kemba
Thompson
Kawhi
Vucevic
Shump
Faried
Rubio

These are third or fourth year players looking for an extension soon. It's early but what do you guys think the market value is right now for the above?

I think of that group, Kawhi, Thompson, Kemba, Rubio, and Vucevic are above the rest in terms of highest potential salaries. With Kawhi having the highest potential after the Finals, and San Antonio believing he is a foundational player for the future of the franchise. Despite the fact that hes struggling offensively (which most people who watch the spurs knew was gonna happen) and coming off the bench. The Spurs will probably show him the salary sacrificies that Duncan and Co have made, and he'll buy into it. They are also haunted by the ghost of Richard Jefferson *shudder*

I also think of that group, Vucevic and Rubio will be the most interesting to see what happens since Vooch is a kind of an old school Center and Rubio is a a playmaker but not a shooter.

diehard

Fleer
Agreed. I think Utah are actually a good point guard away from being a good team. Marcus smart maybe?

Maybe. Burke has actually been pretty impressive and our offense has been a lot better with him out there. Dragic kinda abused him with his size though. Also i don't know if i really ever seen him being an efficient scorer.

I wanted Jabari from the start and i havent seen anything to change my mind.
I think of that group, Kawhi, Thompson, Kemba, Rubio, and Vucevic are above the rest in terms of highest potential salaries. shooter.

I dont really think Thompson is for sure ahead of any of those other guys.

KingGondo

Banned
Maybe. Burke has actually been pretty impressive and our offense has been a lot better with him out there. Dragic kinda abused him with his size though. Also i don't know if i really ever seen him being an efficient scorer.

I wanted Jabari from the start and i havent seen anything to change my mind.
Burke is too small. Any PG with size and length (and there are more and more these days) is gonna abuse him on defense.

He's a backup PG, IMO.

diehard

Fleer
Burke is too small. Any PG with size and length (and there are more and more these days) is gonna abuse him on defense.

He's a backup PG, IMO.

Luckily point guard defense means far less than some other positions, and some point guards of similar size have proven to very good players.

I'm not dismissing his size being a negative factor im just saying if he develops other defensive skills like some other small point guards (Rondo, Conley, Lawson, CP3) it can make up for his size.

Jazz are 2-4 since he started playing and i expect a pretty similar record for the rest of the season (prob more like 2 wins every 7 games).. which is much higher than the one win every 8 games that we were on. Which is kinda sad because i think it means we only end up with the 3rd maybe even 4th worst record in the league.

Jonm1010

Banned
Here?

I don't think so. Especially because Vasquez was playing well too.
Vasquez was awful. Make no mistake about it. The system in place padded his stats but it didn't cover up his complete defensive ineptitude. Whatever he accomplished on the offensive side he gave up and then some defensively. He just can't hang with starting guards in this league.

As for the Jrue trade I agree with everyone else. Dell should be fired for that move. Jrue has improved as of late but he wasn't worth what we gave up. Not even close.

But part of it was ownership too that told Dell they want to win now. But I still hang most on Dell. He's putting this team together with almost no thought for how the players will gel. Tying most our money up in three mostly selfish me first guards that have underwhelmed their entire careers is a recipe to lose your star player to frustration.

KingGondo

Banned
Luckily point guard defense means far less than some other positions, and some point guards of similar size have proven to very good players.

I'm not dismissing his size being a negative factor im just saying if he develops other defensive skills like some other small point guards (Rondo, Conley, Lawson, CP3) it can make up for his size.
I mean that he's gonna get abused by longer, bigger defenders.

Shumpert was benched because THJr. was lighting it up and JR SMif has nekkid pics of Woodson's daughter. There's no way he's putting Shump out to pasture for something as trival as a sideline discussion. I mean c'mon, that's shouting?

Besides Woodson has sat Shump for long stretches in the 4th way too many times the past 2 weeks for it to be a suprise to me anymore.

#StopMOTHERFUCKINGSwitching

DY_nasty

Shumpert was benched because THJr. was lighting it up and JR SMif has nekkid pics of Woodson's daughter. There's no way he's putting Shump out to pasture for something as trival as a sideline discussion.

Besides Woodson has sat Shump for long stretches in the 4th way too many times the past 2 weeks for it to be a suprise to me anymore.

#StopMOTHERFUCKINGSwitching
He switches because he's trying to guard 3 people at once.

DY_nasty

I mean more of the team concept of freely switching. JVG hated it to death.
There are times when Shumpert is literally the only Knick on the floor attempting to play defense.

But call him out, Dolan. People like him are why the Knicks aren't living up to expectations...

charsace

The Knicks are gonna trade Shump and he is gonna end up really helping a team. I wish they would look to ship the Smiths out instead.

He still has good offensive potential. He can be a secondary ball handler. Knicks are really gonna regret it when they trade him.

charsace

Carmelo was at fault on that play. No one touched him so he should have followed his man. Shump and Bargs were right. Melo is the one who fucked up.

I knew ego was getting in the way of the Knicks making good decisions as an organization the minute they let Lin go.

It was clear from that moment that if you were looking to steal shine from Melo and J.R you could go fuck yourself.

Top Bottom