• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

Zep

Banned
Huh? The wolves are an ok team built poorly that need a lot of fine tuning and some health.

The martin Signing was terrible.

Pek and Love needed a season together where when healthy, it remained to be seen if they could play together. Early signs point to no, they can't. Well, not and defend anybody at all anyway.

Rubio needs to learn to shoot off the dribble. His FT% is an indicator (as it is for more players) that he CAN shoot. But he's no longer that "super young" rubio. He's 23 now and it's starting to get to the point where he's... just not going to put it together.

They've also had quite a epic run of bad health though. The need to get buddinger healthy for his shooting is obvious at times.

And their bench is bad. Shved is an ok passer, but can't shoot, like he was meant to be able to do so. Cunningham is really only a 8mpg guy at best. JJ Barrea is their best bench player. And the rest is Turiaf and shabazz, the latter of whom has seen a total of ~30minutes in his whole career.

I like some of the pieces on the wolves, but they never developed, and the trades behind the scene were bad.

Friend, you know I don't call you out unless you said it. You called this team a 3rd-4th seed before the season(when healthy, which they pretty much are outside of Budinger) in the chat! I kindly disagreed because of their bench and thats coming to fruition.

giri

Friend, you know I don't call you out unless you said it. You called this team a 3rd-4th seed before the season(when healthy, which they pretty much are outside of Budinger) in the chat! I kindly disagreed because of their bench and thats coming to fruition.

I'm not sure i said top 4, but i would have imagined them to be a play off team, for sure.

I never think Kevin martin improves a team.

It just boggles my mind how Rubio has never developed to be able to shoot at all.

I also still think their offense is dumb.

DC is actually alright. JJ sometimes is. Budinger should play Friday against Washington, which will help, but this is the part where we really need to talk about how badly Flip fucked up the draft.

We don't know until we see Shabazz and Dieng play. Y'all staking too much on a gimpy ass Budinger to save y'all.

I have no idea how the Clippers won that. Where is Dudley from? I can't place his accent.

Edit: Sorry Wolves fans. You guys have a pretty likeable team for the most part. I hate to keep seeing you guys lose nailbiters.
I gave up on this team after the Laker loss, and had lost a lot of confidence in them before that. It's basically the Pek and Love show out there, similar to two years ago. Except somehow we're a dumber team and a worse team, even after adding Martin/Moute etc. Rubio hasn't improved at all since his rookie season; he still can't shoot and isn't even a threat to make layups. We don't have any slashers on the roster and we don't have enough shooters to make Love passing out of the double/triple team a threat. We make moronic decisions at the ends of games, akin to the 2010 Wolves, and cannot convert when teams put pressure on us. We can't play defense when it counts. And to me that means that even if they did somehow make the playoffs (they won't) they would get destroyed.

All it comes down to really is that they don't know how to win, or if they do, they suck at it. No reason to have faith in this team after seeing probably 6-7 losses like this this year. Hell I bet they've only won two or three games that weren't utter blowouts.

Hope Love ends up somewhere nice. Not LA though. Sorry Laker fans, I still want to be able to cheer for the guy.

giri

DC is actually alright. JJ sometimes is. Budinger should play Friday against Washington, which will help, but this is the part where we really need to talk about how badly Flip fucked up the draft.

Did the wolves trade down on draft day for the two jazz picks or was that already in place? i forget.

There's not a whole lot of good after that shabazz draft. Maybe Mason Plumlee? Tim Hardaway Jr.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Did the wolves trade down on draft day for the two jazz picks or was that already in place? i forget.

There's not a whole lot of good after that shabazz draft. Maybe Mason Plumlee? Tim Hardaway Jr.

They had the no. 9 pick, which they traded to Utah for 14 and 21. Could have had Burke, McCollum (I know he's been hurt, would still take him over Bazz), MCW, the Greek kid, a number of dudes that could have actually contributed.

Rodeo Clown

i remember lots of people saying giving up Shabazz and Dieng was too much for Burke.

Such as? I said when it happened that Bazz couldn't play and this was basically the worst possible draft outcome.

And holy shit, Bazz can't play. That's weird.

Such as? I said when it happened that Bazz couldn't play and this was basically the worst possible draft outcome.

And holy shit, Bazz can't play. That's weird.
It's almost as if it was a terrible pick and that everyone including Flip knew it

how? how does that happen? how is there not a contingency plan in place?

When can we get a new owner?

I wonder where Shabazz would have gone without the high school hype.

Because he really didn't look like an NBA athlete at all in college and his attitude and skill level were both really poor. He looked like just some random college basketball player all of the time.

giri

They had the no. 9 pick, which they traded to Utah for 14 and 21. Could have had Burke, McCollum (I know he's been hurt, would still take him over Bazz), MCW, the Greek kid, a number of dudes that could have actually contributed.

MCW would have been nice. He's big enough to play SG too.

Emwitus

Has shabazz even played a single minute in the.NBA? Wasn't tank for shabazz a thing? Either Timberwolves coaching stuff is inept in developing talent or they have terrible scouts. Anyway love come home. Wouldn't mind a Celtics jersey on you either

Rodeo Clown

It's almost as if it was a terrible pick and that everyone including Flip knew it

how? how does that happen? how is there not a contingency plan in place?

When can we get a new owner?

I think after the Target Center renovations happen Taylor will finally sell, since, in theory, it'll be easier to flip with a more up to date arena. Also, he got the team locked into Target Center through like 2035 the new lease, so he won't be concerned about the new owner moving.

GeMiNii

Tony Parker and a 1st rounder for Ricky Rubio. Will hurt like hell short term, but the Spurs aren't beating elite teams anyway.

Griffin got bloodied up?

Referee Marc Davis made a highly questionable foul call against Griffin — his third of the game — as Love initiated contact with him while trying a desperation, buzzer-beating shot from at least 10 feet behind the midcourt line before intermission. Love made all three free throws.

I think after the Target Center renovations happen Taylor will finally sell, since, in theory, it'll be easier to flip with a more up to date arena. Also, he got the team locked into Target Center through like 2035 the new lease, so he won't be concerned about the new owner moving.
If we do get flipped I hope it is to an analytics minded guy. I don't think I could take another wasted superstar a la KG/KL.

thekad

Banned
Odds are the Wolves aren't going to lose every close game for the rest of the season. Only 2 games behind the Mavs, they'll be alright.

people are going back to over rating lowry.

No doubt. Lowry fucking sucks.

I definitely think Lowry needs to go, but I will be really upset if Amir goes, he's a beast.

The logic that we'd get peanuts for them if they went is hilarious though, their value is sky high at the moment because they're under valued/paid and playing well. Masai isn't stupid so he's not gonna deal them for nothing.

giri

No doubt. Lowry fucking sucks.

I definitely think Lowry needs to go, but I will be really upset if Amir goes, he's a beast.

The logic that we'd get peanuts for them if they went is hilarious though, their value is sky high at the moment because they're under valued/paid and playing well. Masai isn't stupid so he's not gonna deal them for nothing.

I'ts a double edged thing. I don't think either is going to be getting you anything truly brilliant, but you also can't trade them for a super star because they make so little, the salaries would never match.

masud

Banned
Too bad guys like Amir and Lowry are so undervalued (just look how little they're paid). Masai is going to get pretty much nothing but second rounders and maybe a heavily protected first if he trades them away for tank reasons.

But Knicks?

OKC lost to the Raps?

Why the fuck not?

russell-wesbtrook-air-jordan-12-gamma-blue-1-570x570.png

jjasper

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/86940/the-nbas-possible-solution-for-tanking-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel

One detailed proposal, submitted by a team official, has gained initial traction among some high-level NBA officials — to the point that the NBA may float the proposal to owners sometime in 2014, according to league sources. Other top officials in the league office have expressed early opposition to the proposal, sources say.

Grantland obtained a copy of the proposal, which would eliminate the draft lottery entirely and replace it with a system in which each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once — and exactly once — every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle. The practice of protecting picks would disappear; there would never be a Harrison Barnes–Golden State situation again, and it wouldn’t require a law degree to track ownership of every traded pick leaguewide.

Edit: Also important

• The wheel, which has all sorts of complex algorithms behind it, is designed in such a way that each half-decade mini-cycle has at least two top-12 picks clustered next to each other — a means of encouraging long-term building around young players, and of allowing bad teams to get better quickly if they draft well.

• Each six-year set of picks is roughly equivalent to all other six-year cycles, so no team is ever stuck in an unfavorable cycle of bad picks.

• It would not kick in until all current draft-based trades have been executed, so there would be a nearly decade-long preparation process. Teams would look nothing like they do now by the time this system came into play.

Grantland obtained a copy of the proposal, which would eliminate the draft lottery entirely and replace it with a system in which each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once — and exactly once — every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle. The practice of protecting picks would disappear; there would never be a Harrison Barnes–Golden State situation again, and it wouldn’t require a law degree to track ownership of every traded pick leaguewide.

iQ6x8xPmn1LGu.png

Finally, a system where bad teams only have one shot every five years to try to become relevant. This won't turn out poorly for teams that have no chance of attracting quality free agents.

jjasper

A bad team that gets lucky to get slotted into one of the top 5 in a shit year is fucked for a decade. Seems worse than the current system, which means it will probably be adopted.

Edit: also will seems like this would allow potential draftees to plan out when to enroll in order to be with specific teams.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
A bad team that gets lucky to get slotted into one of the top 5 in a shit year is fucked for a decade. Seems worse than the current system, which means it will probably be adopted.

Edit: also will seems like this would allow potential draftees to plan out when to enroll in order to be with specific teams.

Ding ding ding.

But then the NBA gets its "wish" for college players to stay in school longer.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think the new idea is brilliant. Rewards teams for always trying to win games.

Also it doesn't have to be either or.

Have the top 5~ picks rotate in a set order but the rest of the draft is determined by how bad you are. If teams want to still tank they can, they just aren't going to get the #1 pick out of it.

Top Bottom