• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

Pimpwerx

I like the idea of equal odds for all lottery teams. That way, there's no reward for being extremely bad. You miss the playoffs and get an equal shoot at the top pick. PEACE.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Are you really arguing that being able to sign the best player coming out of high school/college at your discretion is NOT an advantage?

And do you think an 18 year old would choose OKC over LA?

I'm not arguing that at all. Just saying that the larger market teams don't have that big of an advantage when every team in the league has the same cap to deal with. Comparing it to soccer when teams like Chelsea and Barca spend more than a lot of the league combined is ridiculous.

The idea that every player is a known quantity coming out of the draft is what I'm finding absurd. They aren't. Greg Oden was drafted before Kevin Durant. The best player in the 2010 draft was taken 10th overall.

And Kevin Durant chose to stay in OKC when people were saying for years that he was going to leave. Not every person wants to deal with what comes with a city like LA or NYC.

I'm not arguing that at all. Just saying that the larger market teams don't have that big of an advantage when every team in the league has the same cap to deal with. Comparing it to soccer when teams like Chelsea and Barca spend more than a lot of the league combined is ridiculous.

The idea that every player is a known quantity coming out of the draft is what I'm finding absurd. They aren't. Greg Oden was drafted before Kevin Durant. The best player in the 2010 draft was taken 10th overall.

And Kevin Durant chose to stay in OKC when people were saying for years that he was going to leave. Not every person wants to deal with what comes with a city like LA or NYC.
When was KD an UFA?

AcridMeat

Banned
Shrug. I realize my idea is radical but the arguments against it are pretty stupid. This new system doesn't create more advantages for larger market teams. Those are the teams that are less likely to offer max level deals for 18 year old kids who haven't proven anything on the NBA level. Teams like the Lakers would rather spend that kind of money on proven commodities who have been playing in the league for 5+ years.
So now you're saying that rather than spending the money on proven talents in the league, small market teams should use that money to buy unproven college players, spending that same type of money? SMH

Lottery teams' chances should just be upped, I'm intrigued by the idea of looking at the previous 3 seasons to alter that as well. The only thing is, there needs to be an element of chance. If you know where everyone is going to go it kind of kills any motivation for teams to come up with different plans and maybe figure out a new way to go with their organizations.

I would also be good with the NBA improving the D-League as well. It just seems like a bad idea for obvious NBA players to spend time in college learning terrible defensive schemes and playing with terrible teammates against terrible competition and while having limited practice time with coaches.

And the "every player enters the league as a FA" idea would encourage more teams to be like the 2010 Heat which would encourage more teams to fill out their roster with one-year contract guys, which would massively increase uncertainty for mid-tier NBA guys so I don't know if the players would be happy with that idea.

I

this never happened

kd signed his extension in fucking 2010 coming off his rookie deal so he'd be an rfa anyway, any speculation about kd leaving came after the harden trade

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
When was KD an UFA?

He chose to skip UFA to stay with OKC. People on this board and in general were saying for years that Durant wouldn't stay in OKC and they were wrong.

So now you're saying that rather than spending the money on proven talents in the league, small market teams should use that money to buy unproven college players, spending that same type of money? SMH

Everybody in the league has the opportunity to spend whatever they want to spend on free agents. I'm not saying small market teams have to spend more on guys but they would have the option to do so.

It's the fairest system there is. Every team has equal opportunity and access and every player coming out of college has the choice to sign with whatever team and city he wants to sign with.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah I'm not going to buy letting 18/19/20 year olds having a free run, the same as veterans. Mainly because they are immature and dumb. Enabling egos that early would be cancerous to the league's culture in my opinion.

Everyone may have the option to, but only teams that have money would be willing to, if it means they have the player over some other organization. You're talking as though there's a ton of talent to go around. I want to know where you stand on increasing the odds for the worst teams in a given season in the draft.

There should be a different system in place to force front offices not to be idiots with their assets, that doesn't involve changing how the entire draft system works.

I would also be good with the NBA improving the D-League as well. It just seems like a bad idea for obvious NBA players to spend time in college learning terrible defensive schemes and playing with terrible teammates against terrible competition and while having limited practice time with coaches.

And the "every player enters the league as a FA" idea would encourage more teams to be like the 2010 Heat which would encourage more teams to fill out their roster with one-year contract guys, which would massively increase uncertainty for mid-tier NBA guys so I don't know if the players would be happy with that idea.

Tell us how you really feel about college basketball.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Players wouldn't be happy with the idea.

The whole reason drafts exist in American sports leagues is to limit the money players get entering the league and more money gets spread to veterans. It's why the NFL changed the salary structure for rookies and why rookies always get fucked over in new CBAs because they don't have any representation for their interests. So yeah the notion of scrapping the draft all together wouldn't fly with the PA although they hardly have the clout to stop this if it ever happened.

But lets stick with that soccer analogy. Go take a look at the standings for the EPL this year. The teams that are spending the most money aren't guaranteed results and the teams that spend less money than the biggest clubs are doing just fine right now. Soccer actually does it the best, they have extensive development programs for kids and the smaller clubs compete by developing players and then selling them off for massive amounts of cash. Basketball doesn't have anything like that.

Lulz. Ive mentally put you in the same box as konex and heavy now.

Please don't put me in the same box as Lakers fans.

Emwitus

But college education tho?

Sanjuro

On the subject of caps/draft.

I don't believe there should be a salary cap, just a floor. NBA is the worst offender of this.

The draft is largely overrated in the NBA. Still, I don't believe they should be all UFA. That's fucking absurd.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
On the subject of caps/draft.

I don't believe there should be a salary cap, just a floor. NBA is the worst offender of this.

The draft is largely overrated in the NBA. Still, I don't believe they should be all UFA. That's fucking absurd.

This is stupid. This would ensure large market teams dominate.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
you didn't already do that circa 2012 when he continued to stan for ryan garrity in spite of his playoff performance

Are you still seriously hating on Ryan Anderson?

I remember some of you guys clowning on the Pelicans for signing him to that deal he got. Turned out it was a bargain.

Sanjuro

I don't think that you've looked at a list of the NBA Champions lately. Any other logic is just from small market teams that have no fans, in your case Florida.

As a Celtics fan, that logic goes against me to. I just rather not bitch about it.

linsivvi

But lets stick with that soccer analogy. Go take a look at the standings for the EPL this year. The teams that are spending the most money aren't guaranteed results and the teams that spend less money than the biggest clubs are doing just fine right now.

You managed to contradict yourself in successive posts. So congrats?

I agree putting you in the same box as Heavy and Konex...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You managed to contradict yourself in successive posts. So congrats?

I agree putting you in the same box as Heavy and Konex...

What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously?

NBA teams don't have the rights to sell their players off to other teams to keep their organization going. They can't develop players in basketball like they can in soccer. In soccer poor teams will spend resources developing and scouting younger talent trying to find kids who can help them 5 years plus down the road. That is not the case in basketball.

The draft is largely overrated in the NBA.

The draft is one piece of the puzzle, but it's the most crucial one. You can't win big without a top 10 player.

Tim Duncan
Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant (de facto Laker pick)
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Magic Johnson

Those are basically your last 30 years of NBA championships, all lead the teams that drafted them.

And even if they don't keep their stars and win it all, look at what Shaq, Garnett, Lebron and Durant did for the franchises that drafted them. The draft's not a guarantee, but if you don't land that star as an anchor to attract other players you're not going to do anything, even in destination markets.

Sanjuro

The draft is one piece of the puzzle, but it's the most crucial one. You can't win big without a top 10 player.

Tim Duncan
Dwyane Wade
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Magic Johnson

Those are basically your last 30 years of NBA championships, all lead the teams that drafted them.

And even if they don't keep their stars and win it all, look at what Shaq, Garnett, Lebron and Durant did for the franchises that drafted them. The draft's not a guarantee, but if you don't land that star as an anchor to attract other players you're not going to do anything, even in destination markets.

As a whole, the draft is a joke. You are making my point though. Those players (as least the more modern ones) are highly sought after guys. Having first round picks only matter for a select number of players and even then you are possibly prone to failure. Basically, if the entire draft is a pie, you're only really looking at a slice worth of talent and hope the rest have a higher upside for a role player.

I also really hate the D-League. Sure, it gives bums work, but this isn't NHL/MLB. Players are in the draft for a reason. There is no benefit to sending a guy down to work on his mechanics. If anything he is going to regress further and be crashing on Antoine Walker's couch in no time.

Tom Penny

Tim Duncan
Dwyane Wade
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Magic Johnson

Draft picks matter but it doesn't matter nearly as much if you're the team that drafted the elite player anymore. They have no problem leaving the team that drafted them now. It isn't the 80's and 90's anymore. You always need a top 10 player...you just don't have to be the one that drafted them anymore.

If anything he is going to regress further and be crashing on Antoine Walker's couch in no time.

Antoine Walker still has a couch?

The other reason the draft matters is because players are often at their highest dollar-per-production level towards the end of their rookie scale deal - there's always that Tayshaun Prince type guy rounding out someone's winning roster, making crucial plays without killing their cap.

And look at what it does for a team like San Antonio, who knows exactly what type of player they need and know exactly how to draft for fit. It keeps their roster strong without having to get involved in dumb free agent battles or float piles of trade rumours every year.

giri

I don't like how they used Barnes to GS as an example of a bad thing. Fuck this jealous league.

Uhh, They're a pretty perfect example of purposefully tanking. What they did was shameless.

Whilst i'd be just as happy to see players enter the D-League, as college, you would have to pay those players. But thats fine. Put them all on a flat $500k or the like taken out of the luxury tax paid by NBA teams. Then you have the young players getting paid as they should (not as much as they should, but 500k is still a fuckload more than most people will ever earn in a year), AND access to actual coaching and the like.

Darksides UFA idea is stoopid.

The current draft has its flaws, but its main flaw is that the bobcats or the 76'ers haven't had a recent no.1 pick. Both those teams should have had a no.1 pick by now and should be off building around them. Not still flailing around trying to get that pick.

dalVlatko

Yes it works in soccer because the smaller clubs have tools available to them that basketball teams don't have.

The reason that tanking exists is because no one wants to be mediocre. The tools that smaller clubs have available to them in soccer only help the big teams compete with each other while keeping the small teams exactly where they are.

U8cQKjt.png

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Chose to stay just like Vince Carter chose to stay in Toronto.

Or Chris Bosh chose to stay in Toronto as well.

Draft picks matter but it doesn't matter nearly as much if you're the team that drafted the elite player anymore. They have no problem leaving the team that drafted them now. It isn't the 80's and 90's anymore. You always need a top 10 player...you just don't have to be the one that drafted them anymore.

Yeah you do. KG and Ray Allen don't come to Boston unless Pierce is still there. Miami wasn't the centre of free agency conversations until they drafted Wade. And being in LA or NY matters because dudes want to get famous and bang movie stars, but look at the Nets/Knicks/Clips to see that it's not enough.

Sanjuro

Antoine Walker still has a couch?

The other reason the draft matters is because players are often at their highest dollar-per-production level towards the end of their rookie scale deal - there's always that Tayshaun Prince type guy rounding out someone's winning roster, making crucial plays without killing their cap.

And look at what it does for a team like San Antonio, who knows exactly what type of player they need and know exactly how to draft for fit. It keeps their roster strong without having to get involved in dumb free agent battles or float piles of trade rumours every year.

Sure, but that player you're referring to is a rarity. I'm talking about basically what the Celtics did. We have, what, nine first round draft picks? I look at them and don't see as much value as you should.

Waste a few for trade, draft a couple busts, or waste more and move up to get that one specific guy...who doesn't exist at the moment.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Bosh did stay in Toronto though for 8 years.

Can you blame him for leaving though? They built their team around Andrea Bargnani.

So he left when he actually became an UFA is the point there.

And no, the team was always being built around Bosh while he was here once Vince left.

The salary cap is almost perfect now. Owners a actually thinking twice about spending over the cap. Draft needs an overhaul. It should be like that one hockey suggestion. After you have been eliminated from the playoffs draft order is established by wins after elimination. The worst teams would have the most chances at wins but still have to try.

Tom Penny

The salary cap is almost perfect now. Owners a actually thinking twice about spending over the cap. Draft needs an overhaul. It should be like that one hockey suggestion. After you have been eliminated from the playoffs draft order is established by wins after elimination. The worst teams would have the most chances at wins but still have to try.

Sounds like it might be harder to fix the draft. Not a good idea for the NBA.

Sanjuro

Cap isn't perfect at all. The sport resolves around backwards trades and practices to finagle it.

Have a cap floor, actually enforce it, make the filthy poor teams honest.

giri

Cap isn't perfect at all. The sport resolves around backwards trades and practices to finagle it.

Have a cap floor, actually enforce it, make the filthy poor teams honest.

You realise there is a salary floor that teams have to meet. It's like 90% of the cap or something.

Sanjuro

You realise there is a salary floor that teams have to meet. It's like 90% of the cap or something.

I do. They don't enforce it much though from the articles I've read. Either way, that's not my primary issue anyway. My issue is the cap. If the cap is removed, then you would need to enforce a better floor and shared revenue system.

Top Bottom