• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Dec |OT| The Nets are the Knicks of Basketball

knicks

Because back-to-backs don't ever happen?

They do and they are fucking retarded for the team on the road. They should get rid of that all together. Complete unfair advantage. Trailblazers coming off rest and at home. Is it surprising how much more energy they had?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
They do and they are fucking retarded for the team on the road. They should get rid of that all together. Complete unfair advantage. Trailblazers coming off rest and at home. Is it surprising how much more energy they had?

Portland has played 7 sets of back-to-backs this season and are 12-2 in them. It's part of the game. Portland also travels the most of any team in the league by the widest margin because their closest opponent is 800 miles away. Not sure what you propose they do, unless you a) extend the season or b) shorten the number of games played.

knicks

Portland has played 7 sets of back-to-backs this season and are 12-2 in them. It's part of the game. Portland also travels the most of any team in the league by the widest margin because their closest opponent is 800 miles away. Not sure what you propose they do, unless you a) extend the season or b) shorten the number of games played.

Bingo. This would make a much more entertaining and pleasurable NBA.

And are those Portland back to back games on the road? If so I am sure that is unusual, I mean Portland is also one of the better teams in the league. I am sure majority of the clubs suffer from these situations.

Lebron scores more that LMA and shoots a full 10 percentage points above him at the 3-4. LMA's numbers aren't special at all, his whole MVP case is his team's record and they're only 1-2 games above the rest of the league. Hardly a front runner

reilo

He has a sub 52% ts% and 1.14 points per shot.

I like him but he's not very efficient.

I wonder if you ever made these arguments against Kobe.

Bingo. This would make a much more entertaining and pleasurable NBA.

And are those Portland back to back games on the road? If so I am sure that is unusual, I mean Portland is also one of the better teams in the league. I am sure majority of the clubs suffer from these situations.

Yes. They just did a 4 games in 5 nights on the road stint last week.

I really like watching LMA play and he does help get Matthews and Batum a lot of open looks and that's very valuable, but his .95 PPP is significantly worse than even guys like Melo (.99) and isn't close to Durant (1.07) or LeBron (1.14). He's a great player who has great teammates this year, but he's not as good as the other MVP candidates.

reilo

This season notwithstanding, Kobe has never had a season below 52.7% TS%. 55.5% for his career. As a shooting guard and not as a franchise big man, mind you.

But he never argued for Lebron using those metrics when the debate was between them, either.

Mind you, I'm not saying LMA should be in the MVP discussion, but the guy gets his points the way he gets them.

Lebron scores more that LMA and shoots a full 10 percentage points above him at the 3-4. LMA's numbers aren't special at all, his whole MVP case is his team's record and they're only 1-2 games above the rest of the league. Hardly a front runner

Name the other 2 HOF players on Portland that command doubles at times in a "pick your poison" scenario like what happens in Miami.

LeBron is LeBron but you could throw doubles and triples at him in Cleveland without the fear of a Wade/Bosh lighting you up on the pass off.

I wonder if you ever made these arguments against Kobe.

Kobe's MVP year was about 58% ts% and 1.37 ppshot. Don't bring up Kobe

I like lma. I think his shooting numbers underrate him. But he's not efficient.

I think portlands main 5 are a bunch of very good players and no one elite (yet). Kind if like Detroit was in 04 on defense with their starting 5.

Name the other 2 HOF players on Portland that command doubles at times in a "pick your poison" scenario like what happens in Miami.

LeBron is LeBron but you could throw doubles and triples at him in Cleveland without the fear of a Wade/Bosh lighting you up on the pass off.

There's a case for his numbers being better in cleveland, whats your point?

reilo

To iterate, not making the case for LaMarcus as MVP, but the precedent is there:

Garnett in '04: 49.9FG%, 79FT% on 5.7FTA (KG was arguably the best big man defender at the time)
Nowitzki in '06: 48FG%, 90FT% on 7.4FTA, 41.6 3PT% on 2.2 3PTA

LaMarcus also tends to pick his FG% up as the season goes along. January/December/February are his strongest months, career wise.

But he never argued for Lebron using those metrics when the debate was between them, either.

Mind you, I'm not saying LMA should be in the MVP discussion, but the guy gets his points the way he gets them.
Then we're in agreement. My original point about Aldridge being a pretty inefficient offensive player still stands. I don't think he should be taken very seriously in MVP discussions, even though I agree with IWMTB about his fairly important role in spacing the floor for the Blazers.

To iterate, not making the case for LaMarcus as MVP, but the precedent is there:

Garnett in '04: 49.9FG%, 79FT% on 5.7FTA (KG was arguably the best big man defender at the time)
Garnett 2004 TS%: 54.7%
Nowitzki 2006 TS%: 58.9%
LMA TS%: 51.5%

This is also minimizing Garnett's role in running both the offense and defense for that Timberwolves team. Aldridge is a pretty mediocre defender and a much worse playmaker than Garnett was in his prime.

KG WS/48 in 04: .272
Dirk WS/48 in 06: .275
LMA WS/48 so far this year: .168

The scale for WS/48 is pretty much: .100=average, .150=all-star, .200=superstar, .250=all-time great year, .300=GOAT

LMA isn't close statistically to either guy...Dirk's TS% for that year is nearly 8 points higher than LMA's is right now.

LaMarcus also tends to pick his FG% up as the season goes along. January/December/February are his strongest months, career wise.

Dirks ts% was almost 60 in '06! How is that precedent?

KG was slightly above league average at most 55% but as you said he was elite on defense and lee the league in rebounding % and was the best big man distributed than year.

I don't think they are comparable. I agree with IWMTB19 on LMA. I think his affect on batum and Mathews is understated by many stats but he's not some offensive powerhouse.

I've been impressed with his rebounding this year though.

Ah beaten by iwmtb19. Lma nowhere near MVP. I just think Portland is solid at every position.

I think Durant is a pretty clear frontrunner right now. LeBron and CP3 will always be in the mix, and I think Paul George and LaMarcus will always be on the periphery.

Cloudy

Banned
I don't want to hear about efficiency in a league where Rose won MVP shooting 44%. LMA is the best player on the best team in the better confeference. If Blazer get the #1 seed, why shouldn't he win? Nash won 2 and he's never even averaged 20ppg

I don't want to hear about efficiency in a league where Rose won MVP shooting 44%. LMA is the best player on the best team in the better confeference. If Blazer get the #1 seed, why shouldn't he win? Nash won 2 and he's never averaged 20ppg
Rose's TS% during his MVP year was nearly 4 percentage points higher than LaMarcus's right now. .208 win shares per 48 compared to LaMarcus's .168 this year. In almost every discernible offensive metric, Rose had a far more efficient year than LaMarcus is having now.

reilo

Then we're in agreement. My original point about Aldridge being a pretty inefficient offensive player still stands. I don't think he should be taken very seriously in MVP discussions, even though I agree with IWMTB about his fairly important role in spacing the floor for the Blazers.

Garnett 2004 TS%: 54.7%
Nowitzki 2006 TS%: 58.9%
LMA TS%: 51.5%

This is also minimizing Garnett's role in running both the offense and defense for that Timberwolves team. Aldridge is a pretty mediocre defender and a much worse playmaker than Garnett was in his prime.

Let's wait until the end of the season to see where he ranks up...

Career:
1ZzddYk.png

2013-14:
Y4Kkw1i.png

Not unprecedented.

Not sure I'd consider KG a "running the offense" type of player. Dirk? Sure. KG always benefited from really good point-guards his entire career -- some obviously better than others.

Also, fucking hell, Roy Hibbert has a higher TS% than Aldridge and he shoots the same percentage from the floor and is a worse FT shooter. I don't take that stat at face value for bigs.

Top Bottom