• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

so, my fellow tank commanders, what did you guys think of Parker and Wiggins' debuts? I caught up with some of the highlights on youtube. Parker seemed smaller than I expected. I know he's 6'8 but he looked more like SG size to me. Game reminds me sort of of Paul Pierce. Wiggins is an incredible athlete but I still see the potential for a little Harrison Barnes/Andre Iguoudala in him, which is still a great player and potentially elite defender but not in the Durant/LBJ class.

so, my fellow tank commanders, what did you guys think of Parker and Wiggins' debuts? I caught up with some of the highlights on youtube. Parker seemed smaller than I expected. I know he's 6'8 but he looked more like SG size to me. Game reminds me sort of of Paul Pierce. Wiggins is an incredible athlete but I still see the potential for a little Harrison Barnes/Andre Iguoudala in him, which is still a great player and potentially elite defender but not in the Durant/LBJ class.

Wiggins looked shit, but it's early.

Jabari reminds me of a taller version of Kobe. His understanding of spacing, his versatility scoring wise, ability to put his back to the basket...

Really love his game.

why are you talking about players the lakers have like a .02% chance of getting

dario saric, wayne selden and james young are more your speed

Parker weighs 240 pounds and isn't that quick, I'm not sure he's going to be able to check wings on the perimeter (then again, his standing reach is bad so he may not be able to defend PFs either...). Parker made a lot of shots, but they were contested so it will be interesting to see if he can get some easier looks or if his shot is good enough to just keep making those shots.

Julius Randle already with another double-double, lol.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
9MD9Hb4.png

This is so nuts.

Forever

Banned
I like where this is going.
The return of J.R. Smith could lead to the exit of Iman Shumpert given the belief that the New York Knicks might undervalue the young guard.

“The rest of the league seems to value Iman more than the Knicks do,” one Eastern Conference executive said. “And his value is high."

One plausible scenario is moving Shumpert for Denver Nuggets forward Kenneth Faried, especially when you factor in the health of Amar’e Stoudemire and Kenyon Martin.

hilarious really

Coach Mike Woodson called the Knicks' effort "unacceptable" Sunday and said his team lacked pride after a 31-point loss to the San Antonio Spurs.

"We didn't compete tonight. That's just unacceptable," Woodson said. "Right from the start, we let our offense, shots that we missed, dictate how we defended on the other end."

Yep...

Gigglepoo

Uhh, I don't see the problem with doing that for top 5 picks since a lot of them do turn into star players and the teams picking in those slots desperately need star players.

No, it's fine. I was just realizing that we always say "He's like Kobe" or "He plays like Paul Pierce" even though their never going to achieve that level. It helps for stylistic reasons, but it's just kind of funny when you think about it.

giri

No, it's fine. I was just realizing that we always say "He's like Kobe" or "He plays like Paul Pierce" even though their never going to achieve that level. It helps for stylistic reasons, but it's just kind of funny when you think about it.

Well you're not picking someone in the top 5 because "Hopefully he'll be as good as lou amundson/john wall/ ed davis."

If Parker was the #1 pick (and some guys here think he's the best prospect), I would hope he was as good as Paul Pierce. That's kind of a normal level for a #1 pick.

Gigglepoo

If Parker was the #1 pick (and some guys here think he's the best prospect), I would hope he was as good as Paul Pierce. That's kind of a normal level for a #1 pick.

I wonder how many #1 picks are as good as Paul Pierce. I would guess very few actually are. Though there is probably one or two players in most drafts who reach that level.

I wonder how many #1 picks are as good as Paul Pierce. I would guess very few actually are. Though there is probably one or two players in most drafts who reach that level.

From '92 to '12 it goes:

Shaq
Webber
Big Dog
Joe Smith
AI
Duncan
Kandi
Brand
K-Mart
Kwame
Yao
LeBron
Dwight
Bogut
Bargnani
Oden
Rose
Griffin
Wall
Irving
Davis

Assuming Davis as a superstar and Irving, Wall, and Griffin as all-stars it goes:

9 superstars (Shaq, Webber, Iverson, Duncan, Yao, LeBron, Dwight, Rose, Davis)

7 all-stars (Brand, Irving, Wall, Griffin, K-Mart, Bogut, Big Dog)

4 busts (Oden, Bargnani, Kwame, Kandi)

From 69 to 04, there were 18 chosen or likely Hall of Fame players that went #1 (though I don't know how Sampson made the Hall of Fame).

edit: Probably overrated Elton Brand after I thought about it.

Gigglepoo

10 superstars (Shaq, Webber, Iverson, Duncan, Brand, Yao, LeBron, Dwight, Rose, Davis)

6 all-stars (Irving, Wall, Griffin, K-Mart, Bogut, Big Dog)

Let's see. There are four players as good or better than Pierce (Shaq, Iverson, Duncan, and LeBron), and there's a chance Rose and Davis will reach that level.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
From '92 to '12 it goes:

Shaq
Webber
Big Dog
Joe Smith
AI
Duncan
Kandi
Brand
K-Mart
Kwame
Yao
LeBron
Dwight
Bogut
Bargnani
Oden
Rose
Griffin
Wall
Irving
Davis

Assuming Davis as a superstar and Irving, Wall, and Griffin as all-stars it goes:

10 superstars (Shaq, Webber, Iverson, Duncan, Brand, Yao, LeBron, Dwight, Rose, Davis)

6 all-stars (Irving, Wall, Griffin, K-Mart, Bogut, Big Dog)

From 69 to 04, there were 18 chosen or likely Hall of Fame players that went #1 (though I don't know how Sampson made the Hall of Fame).
Is that Elton Brand that you're listing as a "superstar"?

Let's see. There are four players as good or better than Pierce (Shaq, Iverson, Duncan, and LeBron), and there's a chance Rose and Davis will reach that level.

I like Pierce, but I have to wonder if his career is being really overrated here. He played in one of the biggest media markets there is and has a total of zero first place votes for MVP ever and didn't get any votes most years. He only made the All-NBA team four times and never first-team. He won three playoff series in nine years before KG. His statistical profile is good but not great.

I like Pierce, but I have to wonder if his career is being really overrated here. He played in one of the biggest media markets there is and has a total of zero first place votes for MVP ever and didn't get any votes most years. He only made the All-NBA team four times and never first-team. He won three playoff series in nine years before KG. His statistical profile is good but not great.

He's a player that's good enough to be a main cog on a championship team but he isn't what you would call a "once in a generation player"

Although I'm not really sure what that means. Does Ray Allen count?

Gigglepoo

Who else from that list would you put on his level? I could see the case for Chris Weber, but I think he's ahead of everyone else. Even John Wall.

zychi

Banned
Pierce isn't a flashy player, so you barely see highlights of him, statistically and because of the ring, he's a hof.

He was never "the guy" because other superstars always overpowered him, Lebron and Kobe got all the hype, it became KGs team when he went to Bos, but don't get it twisted, Pierce is a fantastically underrated player

giri

Who else from that list would you put on his level? I could see the case for Chris Weber, but I think he's ahead of everyone else. Even John Wall.

Dwight, Yao, Rose, Webber are all certainly at least on his his level.

Depending on how their careers finish, Irving, Bogut and Griffin could be too.

In their prime, I think all of ten guys I listed as superstars could be argued to have been better or will be better. Pierce beat out a lot of them in longevity, but player comparisons are always about possible peak level play and longevity isn't really taken into account.

Gigglepoo

In their prime, I think all of ten guys I listed as superstars could be argued to have been better or will be better. Pierce beat out a lot of them in longevity, but player comparisons are always about possible peak level play and longevity isn't really taken into account.

Yeah, I would agree with that. I would rather have a career of Pierce than a career or Yao because of health. It's why I'd put Pierce above him.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
AlphaSnake will understand this reference... this one is for him!

Thanks, bruh. I was singing Goodnight, Fair Lady (Accoustic) while driving around all day today. Coheed's always on my mind.

I bounced on the game after 1st quarter and enjoyed the day with the wifey and shit. Did some shopping. Bought some new chandeliers, some wheel and tire cleaning supplies. Had a lamb kebab platter and smoked hookah.

I was gonna watch the rest of the game when I got back home, until Knicks FB update told me to save my time, so I stayed out and bought something that really sucks: a new Dirt Devil Mini-Vacuum. It's awesome and sleek.

Fuck the Knicks.

So capable.

Top Bottom