• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

Emwitus

Miami!

ibuh61HGM91oNw.gif
Lol

Sanjuro

I like Pierce, but I have to wonder if his career is being really overrated here. He played in one of the biggest media markets there is and has a total of zero first place votes for MVP ever and didn't get any votes most years. He only made the All-NBA team four times and never first-team. He won three playoff series in nine years before KG. His statistical profile is good but not great.

Pierce's career has been historically underrated, but I don't see the point of this discussion.

Sanjuro

If Paul Pierce was a #1 pick, he would be a mid-tier guy (ignoring longevity) so it's not that outlandish at all to compare a guy to Pierce if that guy is projected #1 overall.

I'm not sure that answered my question. Actually confuses me more.

If Paul Pierce was a #1 pick, he would be a mid-tier guy. Isn't that what he is?

If Paul Pierce was a #1 pick, he would be a mid-tier guy. Isn't that what he is?

Gigglepoo thinks it's funny that people think that people compare Jabari Parker to Paul Pierce since he'll never be as good as Pierce. The people who compare Parker to Pierce usually have Parker as the #1 prospect so I think it's perfectly fine since Pierce is about as good as you would expect a #1 pick to be.

The conversation started when it was asserted that Parker played like Pierce, as if a #1 pick becoming "Pierce good" were too high of expectations.

Paul Pierce is Reggie Miller tier. Not up there with the top tier swingmen all-time. What he has is longevity at a relatively high level, which guys like AI, TMac and Vince didn't have.

Sanjuro

Gigglepoo thinks it's funny that people think that people compare Jabari Parker to Paul Pierce since he'll never be as good as Pierce. The people who compare Parker to Pierce usually have Parker as the #1 prospect so I think it's perfectly fine since Pierce is about as good as you would expect a #1 pick to be.

The conversation started when it was asserted that Parker played like Pierce, as if a #1 pick becoming "Pierce good" were too high of expectations.

I have no idea who Jabari Parker is, so can't really comment on him.

Being "Pierce good" is a pretty good expectation for a player, because you have to factor in longevity and the contrasting teams he has played on.

The mindset of the number one pick kind of makes all this talk silly, because it's largely a one player draft and then the rest of the trash to the D-League.

giri

And Austin Rivers is still godawful. What a terrible pick that was.

Whilst i agree he's terrible. It's not like there's a long line of guys in that draft, picked after him, that make you question the pelicans sanity.

There's a whole lot of mediocre after that pick.

Top Bottom