• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

MVP

Banned
I think Miami can challenge 72-10. High 60s is more likely though. This is the best team Miami has ever assembled.

IID0AGD.gif

I doubt it:

1. They'll get every teams best night in and night out
2. The health of Wade is always questionable
3. They'll get nights off to rest for the post season

I'm guessing 65-68 wins this year

With their 27 game winning streak, we've seen they're willing to go for records and for history. If they start off like 42-4 or something, I can see them going for it but not admitting it until they're like 65-7.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
They had a 27-win streak and still didn't crack 70-wins. The East was also historically terrible last season. C'mon man.

Every last 3 peat team has had moments of breakdown in the following season. Miami has been to 3 straight Finals. Lebron is still Lebron but Wade and Allen and Bosh are one year older and their bench is weak. I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat finished somewhere between 53-55 wins. And they probably won't care. Like those other 3peat teams (Bulls and Lakers mostly) by this point all they care about is making it to the playoffs. They have nothing to prove in the regular season. Let Rose and the Bulls win 60+ and get the top seed.

MVP

Banned
... that argument doesn't work in your favor like you think it does.

It works to nullify your argument that winning 27 in a row and not breaking 70 wins means anything. It's more about consistency night in and night out than super long streaks. The Lakers won 33 in a row and still didn't break 70 wins. They're both great records, but they don't need each other.

reilo

It works to nullify your argument that winning 27 in a row and not breaking 70 wins means anything. It's more about consistency night in and night out than super long streaks. The Lakers won 33 in a row and still didn't break 70 wins. They're both great records, but they don't need each other.

Right, and the biggest thing the Heat in the Lebron era have always struggled with is consistency -- whether it's the playoffs or the regular season.

Which is why I brought up the 27-win streak, because that was the Heat at their most consistent and they still didn't crack 70-wins.

Ergo...

The Heat aren't breaking the 70 barrier. Sorry. Chicago did it the first year that Rodman/Pippen/Jordan were together. It was the first full season after Jordan returned. He was hungry as were the rest of the crew. This Heat team is no where near as good as they were a couple of years ago. Nor as good as last year. Not happening.

reilo

I think the craziest thing about that Bulls team was that they won 69 games following their 72-win season.

I hope you guys get the 11 pick so the Bulls get it. I can't see you being worse next season, so I'd take 11 in this year's strong draft.

You'll probably get it next year and it'll.likely still be a lottery pick. I think that will work out better for you guys because I actually like next year's draft better. The bigs this year are awful, but next year it's completely the opposite. You guys will ne needing to draft a big to develop with Boozer likely gone and Noah not getting younger.

Looks like Lin coming off the bench and Dwight at the 4 is the Rox starting lineup.

I could see us switching to Parsons or Casspi at the 4 vs a stretch PF.

I think Bosh ends up being the weak link to any sort of threepeat. He's going to take a beating this year. Monroe, Smoove, Drummond, Hibbert, Noah, West, Varejao, Tristan, Brook, Nene....there are some guys that'll put you on your ass in the East.

I think LeBron and Wade will be surprisingly durable this year, but I don't think Bosh in his fourth year in a deep playoff run is going to have the legs or desire to bang against guys who will be much hungrier than him and more rested.

Looks like Lin coming off the bench and Dwight at the 4 is the Rox starting lineup.

Ultimately a timeshare with Beverley, or are Lin's minutes going to be reduced?

McHale has to realize Beverley is the better fit, right? Linsanity died in 2012.

I think Lin is a fine offensive talent and will work well off the bench. Harden is a much better version of Lin and playing them together is redundant.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This season is going to hurt. Last season still hurts me. Everything basketball related in my life hurts right now.

Re-watching the '09 and '10 finals dulls the pain some days. Some days... it does not.

At least NBA-GAF will keep me entertained for another season. I'm a glass half full guy.

fuck the lakes

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
You'll probably get it next year and it'll.likely still be a lottery pick. I think that will work out better for you guys because I actually like next year's draft better. The bigs this year are awful, but next year it's completely the opposite. You guys will ne needing to draft a big to develop with Boozer likely gone and Noah not getting younger.

We've got this guy on the way next year: http://www.blogabull.com/2013/5/22/4354878/nikola-mirotic-wins-acb-league-mvp

thekad

Banned

Interesting that we're starting out with yhe twin tower lineup. Does anyone know what the Bobcats starting lineup is?

Does anyone care?

ShaneDude

Every last 3 peat team has had moments of breakdown in the following season. Miami has been to 3 straight Finals. Lebron is still Lebron but Wade and Allen and Bosh are one year older and their bench is weak. I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat finished somewhere between 53-55 wins. And they probably won't care. Like those other 3peat teams (Bulls and Lakers mostly) by this point all they care about is making it to the playoffs. They have nothing to prove in the regular season. Let Rose and the Bulls win 60+ and get the top seed.

I think Bosh ends up being the weak link to any sort of threepeat. He's going to take a beating this year. Monroe, Smoove, Drummond, Hibbert, Noah, West, Varejao, Tristan, Brook, Nene....there are some guys that'll put you on your ass in the East.

I think LeBron and Wade will be surprisingly durable this year, but I don't think Bosh in his fourth year in a deep playoff run is going to have the legs or desire to bang against guys who will be much hungrier than him and more rested.

A weak Bosh and a poor bench?

I just don't see it. Bosh said he's going to be much more aggressive and so far he's proved it( atleast in preseason).

And our Bench is awesome. Some key guys like Battier and Allen are older, but the entire Roster showed up to camp in excellent shape. You're gonna see a much more committed Beas and hopefully healthy Oden. Not to mention we picked up Roger Mason Jr to replace MM.

Smokey

Lin coming off the bench is fine. It's where he belongs anyway, and will probably play better due to not getting shook thinking which next starting pg was going to dump on him next.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm ready for tonight!!

I'm just asking one thing from the basketball gods!

NO MORE FUCKING ACL INJURIES!!!

I don't want any more player a out for the season! Even Lebron ;). I want these mofos playing each other at full strength. Sick of season ending injuries.

ACL has robbed me of watching Rose, Robio and Rondo play. Some of my favorite players to watch! no more damn it!

MVP

Banned
Now if anyone wants to bet tonight's game, that's closer to even money and I'd be down for that, but I'm guessing all the Heat haters are too vaginal to make any bets unless they're like 99.999999% likely to win.

What a surprise, no responses to this lol

I'll do a short term avatar bet, 1 week. Or loser can't post in this thread for a week, or whatever, it doesn't matter. I just wanna spice up the game a bit, and I'm not gonna take the bet with some alter-ego or some user that posts once a month, I want the real shit talkers to step up.

The bet isn't even that the Heat are winning, that's a given. I'm betting that the Heat are winning by double digits. I realize I have to handicap to get cowards to accept.

Top Bottom