• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

Providence?
iZzzXxScUxKWY.png

They won the Big East tournament.

Seth C

I think sometimes these seedings comes down more to matchups and spacing out the top 16 teams, rather than pure top-to-bottom ranking.

I don't necessarily agree with Louisville being a 4, though.

Again, look at the bracket as a whole. The best team Louisville has beat is a 5 seed. They have losses to a 6, 7, two 8s. One of those 8 seeds they lost to twice. One of their "good" wins didn't make the tournament. They are exactly where they should be.

inm8num2

Again, look at the bracket as a whole. The best team Louisville has beat is a 5 seed. They have losses to a 6, 7, two 8s. One of those 8 seeds they lost to twice. One of their "good" wins didn't make the tournament. They are exactly where they should be.

Fair enough, I was just talking generalities about seeding while not using that to defend/oppose Louisville's seeding. That second sentence was more of a disclaimer.

Fjordson

Sort of agree with Dickie V. Having UK drop to an 8 seems a bit much. Think a 6 was about right, but oh well. I just hope we can beat K-State and face Wichita. Would love to see how we measure up against a 1 seed.

Bowser

All things considered, not a bad bracket at all for Carolina. If we get past Providence, I think ISU would actually be a tougher matchup than a potential Sweet 16 date with Nova/UConn.

Fjordson

Oh wow, SMU totally absent, didn't see that until just now.

That's a tough break. Weren't they ranked in the top 20 like a week ago?

Seth C

Sort of agree with Dickie V. Having UK drop to an 8 seems a bit much. Think a 6 was about right, but oh well. I just hope we can beat K-State and face Wichita. Would love to see how we measure up against a 1 seed.

I'm not convinced we get past Kansas State, to be honest. This isn't the team to "fight back" after feeling disrespected but he 8 seed. They are more likely to just shrug their shoulders and lie down. But we did get the least tested #1 seed, should we move out of the first round. Shame we would then have to best Louisville and Duke.

Seth C

Their non conference SOS was shit. Committee is making a point with them and SMU.

They beat absolutely no one outside of conference and the committee, unlike the polls, had no respect for their conference. With justification, in my opinion.

UraMallas

MSU!!!
This is the year Sparty

Gotta go through ISU. I love ISU's chances at making a Final Four in East. If it weren't for MSU, I would feel REALLY good about it. What really gets me is that, in 2000, ISU and MSU played in the Elite Eight and MSU beat us. I can only hope that the reverse happens this time around but we do not match up well with MSU. The two teams I was afraid of were Florida and MSU but the rest of our bracket looks very manageable.

Seriously, the 3 and 4 seeds in our bracket (East) should be closer to the 1 and 2 line.

Fjordson

I'm not convinced we get past Kansas State, to be honest. This isn't the team to "fight back" after feeling disrespected but he 8 seed. They are more likely to just shrug their shoulders and lie down. But we did get the least tested #1 seed, should we move out of the first round. Shame we would then have to best Louisville and Duke.
Maybe.

I really want to believe they turned a corner this weekend. I mean this was the best they've looked in weeks. I could be totally wrong, but we'll see. I just want to at least get to that Wichita State game.

The cynic in me wonders about the whole "storyline" seeding notion. I mean Wichita State vs. Kentucky on the first weekend. Good vs. Evil. Talent vs. Experience. Undefeated vs. Preseason "40-0". I'm just sayin' :lol will probably be some big ratings for that game if we do manage to beat K-State.

Gotta go through ISU. I love ISU's chances at making a Final Four in East. If it weren't for MSU, I would feel REALLY good about it. What really gets me is that, in 2000, ISU and MSU played in the Elite Eight and MSU beat us. I can only hope that the reverse happens this time around but we do not match up well with MSU. The two teams I were afraid of was Florida and MSU but the rest of our bracket looks very manageable.

Seriously, the 3 and 4 seeds in our bracket (East) should be closer to the 1 and 2 line.
I have a feeling this will be a rematch of 2000. : )

Maybe.

I really want to believe they turned a corner this weekend. I mean this was the best they've looked in weeks. I could be totally wrong, but we'll see. I just want to at least get to that Wichita State game.

The cynic in me wonders about the whole "storyline" seeding notion. I mean Wichita State vs. Kentucky on the first weekend. Good vs. Evil. Talent vs. Experience. Undefeated vs. Preseason "40-0". I'm just sayin' :lol will probably be some big ratings for that game if we do manage to beat K-State.

Not a big fan of Calipari, but would love it if UK smacked Wichita St. around just to shut these sanctimonious "College Ball is Pure" writers up.

Basketball is basketball, stop making it about narratives for fuck's sake.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Duke beats Mercer handily.

Then loses to Tennessee

Seriously, I see Mercer winning by 10+. This team lost to WF, ND, almost lost to Vermont. This will be a repeat of Lehigh. This should end yet another myth that the committee/CBS/the illuminati are out to have the easiest path
for Duke.
You could be describing Duke here. They can play "hard" but never with purpose, pride or anger. None of the talented players are vested in their reputation as a "DUke player" and the ones that are, are not good.

Seth C

Maybe.

If we make it beyond Kansas State we would have to play Louisville and then Duke in consecutive games.If you believe the lies they spew about not creating storylines you're lying to yourself.

Fjordson

Not a big fan of Calipari, but would love it if UK smacked Wichita St. around just to shut these sanctimonious "College Ball is Pure" writers up.

Basketball is basketball, stop making it about narratives for fuck's sake.
Amen to that. Saw the same "Good vs. Evil" headlines when we played Michigan State at the beginning of the season. It's all bogus.

Damn, if we do somehow manage to get out of the first weekend UK would probably play against U of L. Bitter in-state rivals, last two national champions. Midwest bracket full of storylines (and tough as fuck),

Jeff-DSA

New Mexico got thoroughly screwed. 2-1 against San Diego State, wins at Cincinnati and UMass, and winning the conference tournament and they still draw a 7 seed while SDSU gets a 4. The selection committee showed a lot of ignorance and/or bad there. UNM had a much better resume, but that matters for nothing, it seems.

So we drew Oklahoma State in the second round...
fuck.gif

I'd much rather play Gonzaga to get to the second weekend. Past that though, I like our chances.

Also, LOL at the committee throwing Louisville and Duke/Michigan at Wichita State right off the bat.

New Mexico got thoroughly screwed. 2-1 against San Diego State, wins at Cincinnati and UMass, and winning the conference tournament and they still draw a 7 seed while SDSU gets a 4. The selection committee showed a lot of ignorance and/or bad there. UNM had a much better resume, but that matters for nothing, it seems.

The Mountain West is not gonna get rid of the 2013 stink for a decade.

Dosia

So we drew Oklahoma State in the second round...
fuck.gif

I'd much rather play Gonzaga to get to the second weekend. Past that though, I like our chances.

Also, LOL at the committee throwing Louisville, Duke and Michigan at Wichita State right off the bat.

Dont sweat it man. This Arizona team should go deep.

Top Bottom