• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Why not, you know, play good teams on the road in non-conference? You know that's an option right? We tried to get a home and home going with duke but your boys were too chicken shit to do it (K wanted a rotating Cameron/neutral game). Hahahahaha.

He used to have home and home series with Michigan and UCLA in the 90s, not sure why he went away from it.
This defense has gone back to sucking. This is not a great ND team and without their best players, but everyone steps their game up to beat Duke. Same team could wear different jerseys and win by 20

Why not, you know, play good teams on the road in non-conference? You know that's an option right? We tried to get a home and home going with duke but your boys were too chicken shit to do it (K wanted a rotating Cameron/neutral game). Hahahahaha.

Well yeah, they could certainly play better nonconference teams on the road. That would probably help prepare them better for road games in the ACC than playing UCLA in the Garden.

I'm not sitting here blindly defending the man, I'm just telling you how he operates.

He used to have home and home series with Michigan and UCLA in the 90s, not sure why he went away from it.
This defense has gone back to sucking. This is not a great ND team and without their best players, but everyone steps their game up to beat Duke. Same team could wear different jerseys and win by 20

Duke stopped the Michigan series when Amaker got the job there. Coach K doesn't like playing his former players/assistants. I don't recall UCLA being a particularly long-running series, either. St. John's was, though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This sounds somewhat sensationalist, I guess it is, but this team really sucks ass. If they can't out-talent anyone, they lose. Chuck threes and play soft, and this has happened about 4-5 times already with no improvement. Time for K to do his team USA farewell tour in 2 years and go do something else. Need someone on the bench not afraid to try new things. Hopefully by then Brad Stevens will be bored of the NBA

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Why was Jabarai on the bench? I know it was a bad game but still.

This team fucking sucks.

EDIT: Maybe K is depressed about his brother and just didn't have the fucks to give. Maybe the diocese in Raleigh told him that lsoing to ND is part of a catholic's responsibility. Who knows, but we won't play them again until next season unless in the tourney.

Fjordson

Damn. Didn't expect this.

Couple top 25 teams going down today with Memphis and UConn also losing. And OK State is down 5 with three minutes to go against Kansas State.

This sounds somewhat sensationalist, I guess it is, but this team really sucks ass. If they can't out-talent anyone, they lose. Chuck threes and play soft, and this has happened about 4-5 times already with no improvement. Time for K to do his team USA farewell tour in 2 years and go do something else. Need someone on the bench not afraid to try new things. Hopefully by then Brad Stevens will be bored of the NBA

Yeah I've given up all hope for this season too.

Just beat UNC please

Fjordson

:lol you guys season ain't over. I remember feeling the same about UK in 2011. Think we lost 9 games that year, and yet they ended up making the final four. Duke could still make a run.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Nah, they lack too much. No size, no killer instinct. Sweet 16 is this team's ceiling.

Its not the size, its the lack of killer instinct and lack of work ethic. And the lack of a scheme to make up for the lack of size. Small teams can win, but you have to overcome the lack of size in other areas, and this team is not doing it. Marshall Plumlee will never be a great or even good player, but with experience, he could be serviceable. If he could get 15 minutes just to clog the lane it would help.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are still panicking whenever we have a bad game? SMH.

This one wasn't even that bad considering it's a tough place to play on the road and our first road game, and we're relatively young. We still should've won, but the loss isn't the end of the world. We'll keep getting better. Jabari isn't going to play like this most games. I thought we looked pretty great during the last 2-3 minutes when we stormed back into the game. The stretch of the 20-4 run killed us, obviously.

I'm surprised K didn't call a timeout on either of our last 2 plays. Probably would've made the difference in the game, honestly. We run a play instead of Hood throwing the ball away, and we get ~1 second after the steal on the inbounds to at least attempt a last-second shot.

Seth C

The real question is, will 3 losses and only one moderately quality win finally knock Duke out of the top 10? Odds are...no. Who wants to take bets?

You guys are still panicking whenever we have a bad game? SMH.

This one wasn't even that bad considering it's a tough place to play on the road and our first road game, and we're relatively young. We still should've won, but the loss isn't the end of the world. We'll keep getting better. Jabari isn't going to play like this most games. I thought we looked pretty great during the last 2-3 minutes when we stormed back into the game. The stretch of the 20-4 run killed us, obviously.

I'm surprised K didn't call a timeout on either of our last 2 plays. Probably would've made the difference in the game, honestly. We run a play instead of Hood throwing the ball away, and we get ~1 second after the steal on the inbounds to at least attempt a last-second shot.

At least 3 times a season, truly101 wants Coach K to retire. :p

But no panic here and, win or lose today's game, my expectations have never been high for this team. They're just not very good. I feel like a caveat is needed, because obviously a lot of schools and fanbases would love to have this Duke team, but by Duke standards of getting to a Final Four and playing for a championship, it's just not happening, they're not good enough. I'd love to eat crow if I'm wrong, but I just see yet another early exit.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
At least 3 times a season, truly101 wants Coach K to retire. :p

But no panic here and, win or lose today's game, my expectations have never been high for this team. They're just not very good. I feel like a caveat is needed, because obviously a lot of schools and fanbases would love to have this Duke team, but by Duke standards of getting to a Final Four and playing for a championship, it's just not happening, they're not good enough. I'd love to eat crow if I'm wrong, but I just see yet another early exit.

To be fair, I completely forgot about his brother passing, the funeral was just yesterday. Its frustrating to see him stick with the overplay defense with a team that is not good at playing any sort of defense. What is the maximum defensive efficiency with the minimum effort displayed that will work? I say pack it in and have some of our larger wings and guards bother the outside shooters.
But I'm with Randolph, its more resignation, and honestly the type of disappointment I hadn't felt since seeing the Phantom Menace. This is an athletic team that should be fun to watch at least, and....its not. It reminds me too much of the Austin Rivers team that ran Iso or chucked 3s and played horrible defense.

I didn't ask for this.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The real question is, will 3 losses and only one moderately quality win finally knock Duke out of the top 10? Odds are...no. Who wants to take bets?

Yeah, they're out of the top 10 this week. No way a three loss team stays.

I think we probably fall to 11 or 12. We need Oregon and Villanova to lose to have a shot of squeaking by at 10.

But hey, the voters love us, so who knows.

honestly I'm not even mad, the bowl loss ate whats left of my soul, so I'm just dead inside.

Ugh why did you have to bring that up.

Fjordson

What happened with Parker? 2/10 shooting and he was on the bench when I caught the last three minutes of the game. Did he foul out?

What happened with Parker? 2/10 shooting and he was on the bench when I caught the last three minutes of the game. Did he foul out?

Nope, Coach took him out...just because.

Maybe he wanted to use it as a teaching moment, maybe he knew it just wasn't Jabari's day and kept him on the bench to keep him from stinking up the joint, maybe K just wasn't really in the game (his brother Bill passed away the day after Christmas, that has to be weighing on him) and forgot Jabari was on the bench.

We don't know.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

First road game jitters. They were double-teaming and frustrating him offensively, their front court was too big for him to be effective in the post, and he was playing awful defense. His defense is what put him on the bench for the last 3 min of the game IMO. We needed stops.

Kansas's perimeter players are just fucking terrible at half-court offense.

That's hard to do with the #1 and #13 overall recruits, but they really struggle with the ball in basket concept.

BadAss2961

Best player since LeBron James. how silly is that in retrospect?
What's up with Wiggins and this offense? They can't buy a bucket, yet Wiggins is still acting more like a role player. Standing around without the ball, passing when he gets it. Never putting the ball on the floor or looking for his own offense.

He should be dominating the ball.

What's up with Wiggins and this offense? They can't buy a bucket, yet Wiggins is still acting more like a role player. Standing around without the ball, passing when he gets it. Never putting the ball on the floor or looking for his own offense.

He should be dominating the ball.

He's a role player that occasionally makes a few superstar like plays. Those plays are very few and far in between because he prefers to let his teammates take shots. Thats not a superstar mentality. I think he's playing cautiously to protect his body for the NBA

BadAss2961

He's a role player that occasionally makes a few superstar like plays. Those plays are very few and far in between because he prefers to let his teammates take shots. Thats not a superstar mentality.
That's actually been a description of LeBron in many high pressure situations. Problem with Wiggins is that he looks like that the whole game. lol

DominoKid

I just don't see the fire in Wiggins.
Like...Harrison Barnes I could tell he wanted to be the dude but it just wasn't in his ability.
I see the opposite in Wiggins.

CronoShot

Another KU game, another time every player on the team looks like they've never been coached a day in their lives.

I'll say it right now: we'll be a bubble team going into the tourney. We have no leader, no killer instinct to win.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Another KU game, another time every player on the team looks like they've never been coached a day in their lives.

I'll say it right now: we'll be a bubble team going into the tourney. We have no leader, no killer instinct to win.

welcome, disappointment bros! Jury is still out on UK but I think Fjordson, Seth C and the rest will be joining us soon enough.

Go Wake!

Fjordson

lmao, yeah UK is right on the edge of disappointment. I've been on the edge ever since that bad Baylor loss.

Also, Bowser, it looks like our football teams are meeting again next week. Should be a good one.

Not watching the game, but looking at the box score, it looks like UNC is dominating on the inside against Wake, but is simply finding it hard to score.

Tar Heels, our proposed big man for 2-guard trade is still on the table.

lmao, yeah UK is right on the edge of disappointment. I've been on the edge ever since that bad Baylor loss.

Also, Bowser, it looks like our football teams are meeting again next week. Should be a good one.

Ya boy Steph's on our side

BdQrR1RCQAA3xcl.jpg:large

Top Bottom