• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

UNC to hold three out of Friday exhibition

Goon PJ
Leslie McDonald
JP Tokoto

Now they're playing UNCP (whaddup tho 910!) so this game doesn't really matter, but it'll be intriguing to know how long these guys are out. JP is just out for these exhibition games for playing unsanctioned summer league games, but how long will the NCAA (and Roy and Bubba) bar PJ and Leslie for receiving impermissable benefits (*allegedly*).

Fjordson

Kentucky game versus Transylvania just ended, won by 34. Not much to take away from it, but nice to see the team in an actual game.

Andrew Harrison sat out with a bruised knee. Hopefully it's fully healed for the Mchigian St. game.

Kentucky game versus Transylvania just ended, won by 34. Not much to take away from it, but nice to see the team in an actual game.

Andrew Harrison sat out with a bruised knee. Hopefully it's fully healed for the Mchigian St. game.

Cal got yall playing a bunch of vampires?

So apparently Duke struggled/is struggling to beat Drury (DII champs).

Time for TDD to go into full crisis/sky is falling/we're going to lose to Lehigh in the first round/K should retire mode.

EDIT: Duke is now winning by 2.

Fjordson

Well, at least they're a D2 team. Kentucky was only up 11 at half on a D3 team. We are turrible at defending the 3 right now.

The MSU game is going to be tough. If Andrew Harrison is healthy I can see us winning a close one if we play really well, but I can also see us losing by 10+. Hate to be so fatalistic, but our defense is definitely a work in progress if the Transy game is anything to go by.

DominoKid

well we beat our cannon fodder (UNC Pembroke) pretty handily w/o any wings. i guess that's encouraging. hopefully the NCAA doesn't bust Hairston & McDonald too hard because i don't want any part of the McAdoo Small Forward experiment.

Nate Britt looks like an Ol' Roy PG.

Fjordson

Should be a crazy few weeks for recruiting. 2014 Top 10 committed list gonna fill out fast.
Yeah, Trey Lyles is announcing tomorrow (#7 on ESPN)

Down to Louisville and UK. Really hope Calipari gets him, this 2014 class needs another solid frontcourt player since we have zero shot at Okafor and seemingly little chance at Myles Turner.

iamblades

As far as this year's team goes, the talent is starting to show through. Hopefully we can fight through this early sloppiness in time for MSU.

There were like half a dozen mistimed lob passes and 4-5 turnovers because someone shuffled their feet. The defensive effort was mostly there, but there were lots of blown assignments when one guy switched and not the other, and lots of missed boxouts(we dominated the boards as expected anyway, it just should have been even better).

All of these mistakes are correctable though, the individual basketball skills are clearly all there, the shooting, the rebounding, the man defense. Just need to improve the team defense and rebounding and get the timing in sync on offense.

I'm still interested to see how the lineups change when Andrew gets back though.

Illini continue momentum and grab a commit from 2015 4* SF DJ Williams. Top 40 player from Simeon HS set to have a breakout year now that Parker has graduated on to Duke.

10 days 'til Cliff announces. He's visiting Kansas this weekend.

Fjordson

Trey Lyles to Kentucky.

As far as this year's team goes, the talent is starting to show through. Hopefully we can fight through this early sloppiness in time for MSU.

There were like half a dozen mistimed lob passes and 4-5 turnovers because someone shuffled their feet. The defensive effort was mostly there, but there were lots of blown assignments when one guy switched and not the other, and lots of missed boxouts(we dominated the boards as expected anyway, it just should have been even better).

All of these mistakes are correctable though, the individual basketball skills are clearly all there, the shooting, the rebounding, the man defense. Just need to improve the team defense and rebounding and get the timing in sync on offense.

I'm still interested to see how the lineups change when Andrew gets back though.
Agreed. I really like our offensive skill with this team. Guys like Randle, James Young, Aaron Harrison and Dakari are way more polished offensively than anyone last year.

Our defense could definitely still use some improvement, though. We seem way too eager to give up outside shots for some reason. With our length and size we should be right on top of guys and encourage people to try and drive. Cal mentioned that he got on the guys and adjusted that at halftime and sure enough Cauley-Stein had like 6 blocks in the second half.

iamblades

Trey Lyles to Kentucky.

Agreed. I really like our offensive skill with this team. Guys like Randle, James Young, Aaron Harrison and Dakari are way more polished offensively than anyone last year.

Our defense could definitely still use some improvement, though. We seem way too eager to give up outside shots for some reason. With our length and size we should be right on top of guys and encourage people to try and drive. Cal mentioned that he got on the guys and adjusted that at halftime and sure enough Cauley-Stein had like 6 blocks in the second half.

Yeah we are probably good in the frontcourt for next year, more depth would always be nice, but now I think we still need one more person in the backcourt.

As far as the defense and giving up 3 pointers, most of that that I saw was because a big was guarding out away from the basket and not being using to guarding the 3 pointer or someone getting loose on a switch that didn't happen. I know the guy WCS was guarding shot like 3 or 4 3 pointers, simply because he doesn't really know the proper technique to deny the shot. In most games against teams who play actual bigs, he won't really have to do that though. Ultimately though, if people are willing to take bad shots, you aren't going to be able to stop them from taking 3s. It's not like they were shooting lights out though, they only hit 33% from 3. The missed boxouts are more important IMO, even if we did almost double them up on the boards. Playing solid D for an entire possession to lose the rebound to a smaller team hurts.

Fjordson

Yeah we are probably good in the frontcourt for next year, more depth would always be nice, but now I think we still need one more person in the backcourt.
Yeah, another athletic wing would really solidify this class.

Kelly Oubre or Stanley Johnson would both be perfect. Really sucks we missed on Oubre.

And agreed about the rebounding. That one dude with dreads got a few big offensive boards despite Marcus Lee and WCS being in the game and I believe the commentators said he was only 6-6.

Fjordson

Coach K makes make 7 million? Wha??

I've seen rivals fans bitching about Calipari's salary before, funny that he isn't even the highest paid coach.

But yeah, Louisville rakes it in. The Yum Center is a big attraction in Louisville these days, both for basketball and for non-sports events.

I've seen rivals fans bitching about Calipari's salary before, funny that he isn't even the highest paid coach.

But yeah, Louisville rakes it in. The Yum Center is a big attraction in Louisville these days, both for basketball and for non-sports events.

Because Mike Krzyzewski is an employee of the state of North Carolina...

-__-

iamblades

Well Cal was the highest paid coach at the time he signed his contract, K got reupped when the lakers were going hard after him a couple years ago. Also worth noting that UK actually only pays like 200k of his base salary, the rest comes from the Nike endorsement deal.

As for Louisville's revenue, they damn well better make money considering they have basically the most favorable lease agreement in sports, college or pro. They even get revenue from non UL events held there. It's basically like the staples center paying the lakers for a percentage of the revenue from clippers games and the lakers claiming they are the most profitable team in the NBA.

The taxpayers are basically subsidizing the Louisville basketball program in an end around that avoids the negative optics of just handing them the money in cash. IMO it looks even more shady this way.

Also worth noting that the UL athletic department still requires more than $10 million in subsidies even after their favorable lease.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
wiggins-cover.jpg

Poor dude

First 9 point, 2 rebound 0 assist mediocre game he has and the media is going to eviscerate him.

They've ballooned this guy's hype so high, there's no way he's going to be able to match it.

I mean...
BWG4-GeCYAA__RY.jpg

...Really?

they compared him to Danny Manning as well.. he averaged like 15 his freshman year..

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Who's ready for the BIG MATCHUP to kick off the season?!?!?!?! Thats right, its Duke vs Davidson! Yeah, I know we play some midwestern scrub team nobody's ever heard of next week, but who cares. Its Blue Devils vs Wildcats (this will actually be a tighter game than people think.)

Also Fjordson, no team can defend a 3 ptr like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-Z3WFVxUw

:p

PJ Hairston and Leslie McDonald will both be held out of UNC's season-opener tomorrow against Oakland.

Then you have this article on USA Today, which is pretty damning IMO

Not looking too hot for PJ.
5 games tops, they'll somehow coincidentally be back for the Louisville game

Crazy to think at how much effort and grind PackPride has put into this whole thing. But they're the driving force behind this story. Without them, we probably don't learn anything after PJ's pot bust in early June.

Making UNC look bad is a 24/7 job for those folks

Fjordson

So Cliff Alexander is deciding within the next week, right? Gonna be interesting to see where he goes, lots of Illinois momentum among media guys it seems. Would be an incredible get for Groce.

So Cliff Alexander is deciding within the next week, right? Gonna be interesting to see where he goes, lots of Illinois momentum among media guys it seems. Would be an incredible get for Groce.

Kansas put all of their eggs in the Tyus/Jah basket and Groce has been able to capitalize on that in the past few weeks with Cliff.

Would be a huge gut punch for KU to not get any of those guys.
Tyus and Jah are totally going to Kansas

Fjordson

Tyus and Okafor to Kansas would be crazy. I mean they've been seen as virtual Duke locks for what seems like forever.

Seems like most of the media dudes are still in the Duke camp for them, though. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Gotta wonder how Myles Turner fits into all this as well. He's actually a guy that UK still has a shot at. Paul Biancardi said in an Insider article this week that we'll actually have a decent shot at him if we can get him on campus for one of his four remaining official visits. I doubt we get him, but it's better than Okafor (zero chance).

Also, Evan Daniels is saying that there are rumblings of an early commitment soon from Stanley Johnson. Gonna suck when we lose yet another west coast kid to Arizona.

Reid Travis (5 star PF) announces his school decision tonight. All of the experts say he's going to pick Minnesota over Duke.

Duke stopped recruiting Kevon Looney as hard because they thought they could swing Travis, but it looks like that will end up costing them both.

'Twill be hilarious
for everyone else
when Duke's whole 2014 recruiting class is just Grayson Allen.

I vividly remember the one time (once, Bob) that I was energized in recruiting. Harrison Barnes was a Duke lock. And then he skyped in Roy Williams and team during his announcement conference, and I was depressed for a solid 2 days. Then I reminded myself that these kids are increasingly younger than me by wide margins, so why get all wrapped up in the whims of teenagers.

Imagine me feeling stupid just months later as I was nearly having a heart attack as Duke was struggling to fend off Butler in the championship game.

Speaking of investing too much emotion in teenagers, the season starts tonight!

Coach

Good to have college basketball back tonight. Ready to see what Kentucky looks like with Andrew Harrison running the point.

I have only caught a little bit of UK's two preseason games - I'm an assistant coach for a high school team and our practices have ran during their games. The two that have impressed me - from what I have seen - the most have been Randle and Young.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Reid Travis (5 star PF) announces his school decision tonight. All of the experts say he's going to pick Minnesota over Duke.

Duke stopped recruiting Kevon Looney as hard because they thought they could swing Travis, but it looks like that will end up costing them both.

'Twill be hilarious
for everyone else
when Duke's whole 2014 recruiting class is just Grayson Allen.

If that does happen and Duke make a FF or championship run this year (and I think they are talented enough to) K retires after the 2016 season, maybe sooner.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So the rumor is that the NCAA is suspending PJ Hairston for the year, but there is no announcement because UNC is appealing. Thus it will be an ongoing game to game suspension until the appeal is rewarded or rejected. I don't know if that is actually true.

DominoKid

So the rumor is that the NCAA is suspending PJ Hairston for the year, but there is no announcement because UNC is appealing. Thus it will be an ongoing game to game suspension until the appeal is rewarded or rejected. I don't know if that is actually true.

iNO59tBKTNvHy.gif

that's how i feel about this whole situation

Fjordson

People talking about that on UK forums also.

Good to have college basketball back tonight. Ready to see what Kentucky looks like with Andrew Harrison running the point.

I have only caught a little bit of UK's two preseason games - I'm an assistant coach for a high school team and our practices have ran during their games. The two that have impressed me - from what I have seen - the most have been Randle and Young.
Yep, Randle and Young have been great.

Aaron Harrison has also been doing surprisingly well filling in at point guard. Last game he had 10 points, 7 assists and 0 turnovers. He's a very solid player, can really shoot it from deep like Young as well.

Good news is Andrew Harrison has apparently looked great in practice. Bad news is that Young tweaked his ankle last game, so he may sit out tonight just to be safe and get him healed up for Michigan St. next week. Not a huge deal, but I would like to see how we look with Andrew at the point, Aaron at his natural position and Young at the 3.

Crisco

Banned
So no more #PJBeBackForKentucky? I always figured this would end badly for him. The dude is an honest to god dipshit.

So...the season has started.

Florida beat North Florida in expected fashion.

Maryland is beating uConn in not as expected fashion. nvm, Connecticut is winning.

And many games including Duke-Davidson tip off within the next hour.

DominoKid

2 questions

Did duke change their floor color or is my tv fucked up?

Anyone notice a difference in games w/ the new rules?

2 questions

Did duke change their floor color or is my tv fucked up?

Anyone notice a difference in games w/ the new rules?

They re-painted the wood (it might be slightly lighter now) and changed the center court logo, but other than that there aren't any major changes to the floor.

EDIT: The blue on the floor IS a deeper, darker shade of blue, if that's what you're looking at.

Top Bottom