• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

2.gif

chris121580

I know everyone was watching Pitt/Cuse so in case you missed it, IU had one of the biggest meltdowns in the history of IU basketball. Crean really showing how terrible of a situational coach he is. 4 turnovers in 2 minutes and give up an 11 point lead. Absolutely unacceptable and people are really going to start questioning whether he's the right guy for the job. I have one more year of patience for him. Tough to be an IU fan this season. Nothing but ups and downs

Man that was devastating. Front row seats in the student section at the Pete, the oakland zoo was at an all time high and then ennis hit that three. You could feel the excitement get sucked out of everyone in a second.

So sad. Although I was on tv a lot apparently

Fjordson

UK pulls it out. I don't want to underscore a road conference win, but we have so many holes defensively. Florida is going to be insanely tough to beat on Saturday. They're so much better than these teams we're struggling against lately.

Seth C

And conveniently, due to a late game foul called on a 3 point shooter, we didn't cover the point spread. By a single point.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It really is pathetic that the game was canceled. It's not like it was a blizzard, it was 2 inches of snow.

So thats just south of where the Duke and UNC campuses are. 2 inches of snow is one thing, 2 inches of snow in the south where nobody knows how to drive in it is another. Not to mention it did nothing but sleet the entire time the game would have played. How would they get back to campus? A Hotel? How are they going to get there?

I love how the local media is already spinning the decision as if it was some hidden agenda by Duke. Duke doesn't have the power to call the game, the ACC does. and now they play a real compact schedule next week, including UNC just two days before the Syracuse rematch. Yet somehow, this was all in Duke's favor.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
It really is pathetic that the game was canceled. It's not like it was a blizzard, it was 2 inches of snow.

I was born and raised in the midwest, where yesterday's snow would be considered an average winter day. In the South, however, it's a completely different story.

I was driving around yesterday and felt totally safe, but only when the roads were empty. Southern drivers have no clue how to handle ice and snow. They drive like they would on normal roads, and when they start slipping they floor it, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do to try to gain traction. There were so many accidents that the major highways through the entire region became parking lots for hours. It took friends of mine 4 hours to drive 8 miles. Some of them abandoned their cars and walked back to their offices.

Also, it was 4 inches of snow plus sleet and freezing rain putting down a nice layer of ice. And the 3-4 snow plows and salt trucks that actually exist for the entire region down here were stuck in the same traffic as everyone else, providing no help on the roads.

So thats just south of where the Duke and UNC campuses are. 2 inches of snow is one thing, 2 inches of snow in the south where nobody knows how to drive in it is another. Not to mention it did nothing but sleet the entire time the game would have played. How would they get back to campus? A Hotel? How are they going to get there?

I love how the local media is already spinning the decision as if it was some hidden agenda by Duke. Duke doesn't have the power to call the game, the ACC does. and now they play a real compact schedule next week, including UNC just two days before the Syracuse rematch. Yet somehow, this was all in Duke's favor.

If you get a chance to play 4 games in 8 days, you gotta do it.

Talon

It is absolutely astounding to me that the barrier to a driver's license is so damn low in this country. People drive like dumbfucks, period, because they learn the rules when they're 15-16 and then never revisit them again.

For one, learning how to drive in inclement conditions should be a requirement. There are three fucking rules when driving in rain, ice, or snow - drive slowly, leave plenty of space to brake, and NEVER floor it/swerve when you lose control.

Every time I'm back in Georgia, I swear to God that everyone should have to reapply for a driver's license every 10 years.

Also, I wish I could citizen's arrest every asshat driving while talking on the phone.

Couple questions for you guys who watch more college ball than I do...

Will Embiid still go number one with his recent play and injury?

Top 3 in no particular order still Embiid, Wiggins, and Parker?

Will Smart drop out of the top 10 with his emoness and stupidity?

Will McDermott be a good pro?

And lastly, are Ennis, Hairston, and Grant lotto picks?

DominoKid

Couple questions for you guys who watch more college ball than I do...

Will Embiid still go number one with his recent play and injury?

Top 3 in no particular order still Embiid, Wiggins, and Parker?

Will Smart drop out of the top 10 with his emoness and stupidity?

Will McDermott be a good pro?

And lastly, are Ennis, Hairston, and Grant lotto picks?

in order.

Embiid should.
I think it'll go Embiid, Parker, Wiggins.
He shouldnt, but NBA GMs are stupid.
Probably not. Best case scenario he's about as good as Chandler Parsons but for whatever reason Parsons got drafted in the 2nd round because NBA GMs are stupid
Ennis, yes. Hairston should be but he won't. Grant no.

Silkworm

in order.

Embiid should.
I think it'll go Embiid, Parker, Wiggins.
He shouldnt, but NBA GMs are stupid.
Probably not. Best case scenario he's about as good as Chandler Parsons but for whatever reason Parsons got drafted in the 2nd round because NBA GMs are stupid
Ennis, yes. Hairston should be but he won't. Grant no.

Wait are you saying Parsons isn't a good NBA player? He didn't ask about whether McDermott would be a superstar so I figure Parsons would qualify as a good NBA player.

Parsons's stats for this season:
Code:
PPG 	RPG 	APG 	SPG 	FG%
17.0 	5.6 	3.7 	1.1    .502

Anyway, let's get HYPED for the upcoming UF-UK game this coming Saturday! :)

DominoKid

No I think Parsons is good.

I think that's the best case scenario for McDermott.

I can't wait to see him suck it up in the NBA because I don't expect much from him.

Silkworm

No I think Parsons is good.

I think that's the best case scenario for McDermott.

I can't wait to see him suck it up in the NBA because I don't expect much from him.
Oh so maybe he'll be like J. J. Reddick? Admittedly JJ's done a lot better of late, but I don't know if he's played up to his original 1st round, 11th draft pick value.

And I see what you mean about Parsons now, thanks for the clarification :)

Oh so maybe he'll be like J. J. Reddick? Admittedly JJ's done a lot better of late, but I don't know if he's played up to his original 1st round, 11th draft pick value.

And I see what you mean about Parsons now, thanks for the clarification :)

I don't think drafts are historically as deep and talented as you might expect. For example, Redick is above the average for an 11th pick, and the gap is spreading over the past few seasons now that he is more featured for his teams than earlier in his career.

The average 11th pick from 1989-2008 had career averages of 19.4 MPG, 7.5 points. Redick is at 22.8 MPG, 9.9 points, and are above those tallies for the past 4 seasons. This year, he's at 28.8 MPG and 15.7 points.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3024/jj-redick

Silkworm

I don't think drafts are historically as deep and talented as you might expect. For example, Redick is above the average for an 11th pick, and the gap is spreading over the past few seasons now that he is more featured for his teams than earlier in his career.

The average 11th pick from 1989-2008 had career averages of 19.4 MPG, 7.5 points. Redick is at 22.8 MPG, 9.9 points, and are above those tallies for the past 4 seasons. This year, he's at 28.8 MPG and 15.7 points.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3024/jj-redick

The more you know. :) I looked at JJ's stats and was a little leery of suggesting he was a bust especially in light of his stats over the past 4 years. I see now I was wrong. Is there a good example of someone who blew it up in college and went high in the 1st round of the draft but didn't pan out in the NBA?

The more you know. :) I looked at JJ's stats and was a little leery of suggesting he was a bust especially in light of his stats over the past 4 years. I see now I was wrong. Is there a good example of someone who blew it up in college and went high in the 1st round of the draft but didn't pan out in the NBA?

Tons. Of local (to me) note. Adam Morrison to the Bobcats, just for one example. The league is littered with busts, though.

Of Duke players, several have been total busts (ex: Will Avery, Trajan Langdon), others that might not have lived up to their high draft rating but were pretty good pros overall (ex: Shane Battier, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Mike Dunleavy), and players who have had their careers marred by early injuries and didn't get a real chance to live up to expectations (Jay Williams, Bobby Hurley). Balance that out with players that performed at or above expectation (ex: Grant Hill, Kyrie Irving (so far), Elton Brand) and maybe a few that over-achieve (ex: Carlos Boozer, taken in second round), and you basically get an average.

Silkworm

Tons. Of local (to me) note. Adam Morrison to the Bobcats, just for one example. The league is littered with busts, though.

Of Duke players, several have been total busts (ex: Will Avery, Trajan Langdon), others that might not have lived up to their high draft rating but were pretty good pros overall (ex: Shane Battier, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Mike Dunleavy), players that completely over-achieved (ex: Carlos Boozer, taken in second round), and players who have had their careers marred by early injuries and didn't get a real chance to live up to expectations (Jay Williams, Bobby Hurley).

Ah! Thanks! I had a mental block on Adam Morrison. Forgot all about him (I guess understandably so).

Speaking of Duke players in the NBA, I wonder how much more Grant Hill would have blown up if he hadn't had that ankle injury in 2000. He had a fine career, but I think he would have been even better (superstar status) without that injury that interrupted his NBA career.

Top Bottom