• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

iamblades

Carolina has 6 national titles. They lead the all-time series against Duke 133-104. They are North Carolina. Dean Smith played for the guy who played for the guy who invented basketball, for crying out loud. You don't storm a court after winning a game that doesn't win anything against a team you beat more often than not.

No they don't, but 5 or 6 or however many, rushing the court should be beneath them. It's a regular season home game, you are supposed to win those if you are a program like UNC.

jakncoke

Banned
In my looking to see who Helms gave the 1924 title over 26-0 North Carolina(helms awarded to NC, im not sure if sports reference got a typo or if NC doesnt recognize that NC) I found more of the list of 20 that I started looking for the other day

1967-1968 Houston started 31-0 lost the semifinal game and 3rd place game
1970-1971 Penn started 28-0 before losing/destroyed against Nova in the regional final 90-47

1970-1971 Marquette 27 before losing in the region semi

1975-1976 Rutgers 31-0 before losing semifinal and 3rd place game

1978-1979 Indiana St 33-0 before larry lost to magic

1990-1991 UNLV 34-0 nc loss

I think the list of 20 is just 3-4 shy now.

iamblades

In my looking to see who Helms gave the 1924 title over 26-0 North Carolina(helms awarded to NC, im not sure if sports reference got a typo or if NC doesnt recognize that NC) I found more of the list of 20 that I started looking for the other day

1967-1968 Houston started 31-0 lost the semifinal game and 3rd place game
1970-1971 Penn started 28-0 before losing/destroyed against Nova in the regional final 90-47

1970-1971 Marquette 27 before losing in the region semi

1975-1976 Rutgers 31-0 before losing semifinal and 3rd place game

1978-1979 Indiana St 33-0 before larry lost to magic

1990-1991 UNLV 34-0 nc loss

I think the list of 20 is just 3-4 shy now.

Helms titles are not legitimate national titles, and they never will be no matter how often UNC claims that nonexistent 6th national title. This goes for Kansas too.

IMO claiming a national title because you won the NIT before 1955 or so is more legitimate than claiming one because one guy somewhere deciding to call you national champions years after the fact.

That is aside from the fact that claiming made up pre-war accomplishments to boost your basketball program's status is kind of lame. No one really cares who was national championship when the competition was the local YMCA and the Elks club.

Silkworm

lol, held him scoreless in the second half.

Yeah, that was pretty sweet to have him with 0 points in the 2nd half. Of course Perez and Summers were getting a lot of open drives to the basket in that 2nd half but the Gators hung on again to tough out a win. Such a nice contrast to last year when UF struggled to win in games decided by less than 10 points. Hopefully Kasey Hill's groin injury will have healed enough that he can play in Tuesday's game (sure could have used him in the Ole Miss game) and I hope Pat's knees can keep up. Billy is probably going to have to sit Patrick Young in one of the upcoming games unfortunately or use him very judiciously as he's not getting any healthier and Gators need him to be as healthy as possible in the postseason (especially with Chris Walker still working on getting up to speed).

Edit: I also heard that Wilbekin did Gator chomps to the crowd at the close of the game as payback for Henderson's antics in last years SEC championship game. Hopefully there's a gif of it out there somewhere.

Seth C

I think the refs should have to review the game footage and any obvious flop results in a one game suspension for the player. No more flopping instantly.

Talon

This SEC basketball coaches commercial is hilarious.

"You're playing against the best talent every night."
"You've got some of the brightest minds in basketball."
"Every game matters."

Talon

Looked clean to me as well.

This Kentucky team ain't getting past the Sweet 16. Unless they run into a series of comically small teams.

Talon

What's the point of playing a 2-3 zone if you can't even marginally keep them out of the paint?

Rough break for LSU. Their size disadvantage in the backcourt is rough.

Your turn, Jabari, on the lucky loose ball scramble and put back up for a lay-up under 5 seconds to win the game by 1.

Wiggins and Randle have done it this week.Time for the trifecta.

Silkworm

So if Duke wins, despite losing to UNC, they'll be ranked #1 in the polls come next week, right? ;-)
Come on Duke squeeze the orange!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Neither Hood or nor Parker need to leave the way they are playing now, unless they secretly want to be out of the league and playing in Yurp in 2 years.

Part of me is starting to hate this team. I think I need to find a new hobby

Silkworm

Man that was not a flagrant 1 foul :-\
Edit: Cuse be rolling at the moment.
Edit2: And Duke gets a much needed 3 to stem the tide.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If we keep missing our wide-open threes this game is going to be ugly...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Can't decide if its sad or good that Marshall Plumlee is the only one playing like he gives a fuck. The rest of the team are just scared, or bored, or something.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
FTs biting Duke in the ass again, because nobody takes any time to work on that shit. Yep, I pretty much hate this team. Lazy, stupid and soft.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
For as much as you're shitting on them, Duke's D has been EXCELLENT for the past ten minutes or so. Got to be stronger on offense

Its my coping mechanism, I have to let the venom and bile out during the game because I get so angry. I never watch the games straight through anymore, my children would be terrified of me.

These FTs are killers though. Duke loses under 5, that will be the cause.

Top Bottom