• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-2014 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT|

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
What an awful fucking call. I don't care what Boeheim did because if the refs don't fuck Syracuse in the first place it wouldn't even matter.

This is coming from a Big Ten fan with no real rooting interest one way or another.

Refs fucked over Duke at the end of the first game, K didn't go running out on the court. Boeheim knows better. I call it Karma.

Velcro Fly

Refs fucked over Duke at the end of the first game, K didn't go running out on the court. Boeheim knows better. I call it Karma.

Well if we're going that route, Duke owes the rest of the ACC a ton for all the times teams have gone into Cameron and had the refs clearly against them.

Well if we're going that route, Duke owes the rest of the ACC a ton for all the times teams have gone into Cameron and had the refs clearly against them.

Yall out-of-conference guys need to understand one thing: Carolina gets all the calls in the ACC. They're still paying homage to Dean Smith 17 years after dude retired. Coach K is still playing catch up.

What an awful fucking call. I don't care what Boeheim did because if the refs don't fuck Syracuse in the first place it wouldn't even matter.

Yeah, unless its just a blatant, clear as day foul the refs are just willfully interjecting themselves in the game when they do things like that.

That kind of fuckery by refs is why I always have a hard time getting super enthusiastic about basketball- the officiating can be so shady and flimsy.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

And Duke has been jobbed in other team's venues and in other games, just look at the FT different in the UNC game. And for all of that, Syracuse was called for 20 fouls vs Duke's 15, 3 of those were late time stopping fouls.

Any time Duke gets jobbed, its cute and funny, any time, the other team gets hosed, its some horrible controversy that undermines the integrity of CBB. People can take that mindset and shove it up their assholes. Its a tired narrative that isn't true when you actually break down the numbers.

As bitter as I am about the calls, horrible offense, and utter disdain for the Cameron crazies, I can say there's a small grin on my face since there will now be plenty of great matchups between the schools in the future.

Better than seeing shitty Georgetown every year.

Velcro Fly

Should have been a charge on Parker earlier in the half. Consistent calls on those plays would have been much better than giving Duke both calls. I'm well aware of how the ACC functions to pretty much protect Duke/UNC at all costs.

And Duke has been jobbed in other team's venues and in other games, just look at the FT different in the UNC game. And for all of that, Syracuse was called for 20 fouls vs Duke's 15, 3 of those were late time stopping fouls.

Any time Duke gets jobbed, its cute and funny, any time, the other team gets hosed, its some horrible controversy that undermines the integrity of CBB. People can take that mindset and shove it up their assholes. Its a tired narrative that isn't true when you actually break down the numbers.

Calm down Chong Li.

angry_rock_van_damm_gif.gif

On a different note, being somebody who doesn't usually watch Duke games what was the deal with the camera angle on the broadcast? Was it just me or was it much more of an overhead, slanting down angle than most college basketball games?

Was really irritating and was thinking it might have been because Cameron is a smaller venue?

Should have been a charge on Parker earlier in the half. Consistent calls on those plays would have been much better than giving Duke both calls. I'm well aware of how the ACC functions to pretty much protect Duke/UNC at all costs.

Right- just make the calls consistent and call the game consistently and that non charge at the end would have been acceptable.

Duke beat writer for Raleigh and Charlotte has some early Boeheim thoughts

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 1m
"Wanted to see I still had it in me to get out there. I thought I did. I was quick. I didn't get injured." - Jim Boeheim on his protest

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 2m
Boeheim does said the new rule dictates that the last call was a block. Joking, saying he wanted to see if he still had it. He does

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 2m
"I thought the game was extremely well officiated, as good as we've had all year—don't laugh. I joke, but that's not one" Boeheim

Fjordson

Every team has gotten gifts at the end of the game from refs at some point. Every single one out there, especially the major programs. Calm down y'all.

I thought what Boeheim did made it way worse, though. Maybe I'm misremembering the time and score, but I don't think they were totally out of it after that call. A long shot maybe, but very possible.

BOEHEIM-ANGRY.gif

Jimmy B wildin.

Cuse actually had a chance to win the game/take it to OT still had Boeheim not flipped the fuck out.

K did not do that when Hood was fouled or Bari took a bogus 5th foul back in the Carrier Dome.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 10m
Syracuse plays Maryland on Monday.”And Maryland is off today, which is interesting. I guess they do stuff like that down here.” — Boeheim

Actually, that's kind of rough for Syracuse. Maryland hasn't played since Tuesday, will be well rested. I think every ACC team either has had or will have a full week at some point between conference games because of the 15 teams. There's just an odd man out.

Duke is having their week off after the next game. They play VT on Tuesday, but then doesn't play until the following Wedneday. Syracuse's week off was in January (Saturday to Saturday, games on 18th and 25th).

BOEHEIM-ANGRY.gif

Jimmy B wildin.

Cuse actually had a chance to win the game/take it to OT still had Boeheim not flipped the fuck out.

K did not do that when Hood was fouled or Bari took a bogus 5th foul back in the Carrier Dome.

Love that passion. Wouldn't Duke have been given free throws or possession since the call was offensive foul? Doesn't seem like Cuse had a chance to take it to OT or win it at that point since there was only 10.4 on the clock.

Love that passion. Wouldn't Duke have been given free throws or possession since the call was offensive foul? Doesn't seem like Cuse had a chance to take it to OT or win it at that point since there was only 10.4 on the clock.

On an offensive, player control foul, it would have just been possession. Syracuse could have forced a turnover or, failing that, fouled. Duke hadn't been making free throws, so going 0-2 or 1-2 would have left it a one possession game.

Duke would've taken the ball out of bounds on the endline there after the foul. But then you have a chance to steal the ball and even if you have to foul, no one on the court was consistently making FT other than Cook for Duke.

For the record, Plumlee didn't get much run in the second half because of leg cramps. Laura Keeley had tweeted during the game that he went back to the locker room, now she has tweeted the reason why.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 1m
Marshall said he just had leg cramps. K said he needs to get used to playing more minutes

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Duke didn't shoot FTs well in this game (this call wouldn't even be an issue if they had) so you figure quick foul, get the rebound...we've seen what Ennis can do. Funny against NCSU, against Duke, I'm kicking the stool out from under my feet.

Duke would've taken the ball out of bounds on the endline there after the foul. But then you have a chance to steal the ball and even if you have to foul, no one on the court was consistently making FT other than Cook for Duke.

Ahh possession only, not sure why I thought free throws would have been given. Thanks. Still think Duke would have won, but at least Cuse would have been given the chance to make another miracle happen.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So, watching the replay on Youtube (was at the game, too far away to see the play well), it looks like Hood is set in front of him with plenty of time before the contact. He raises his chest and arms a bit as Fair goes up but that's all I'm really seeing.

Does the new rule say something about him needing to be there before the player even leaves the ground? I'm not really understanding the outrage now that we have HD replays from multiple angles, but I'm not well versed on the new charge rules.

edit: actually he's set even before Fair leaves the ground. He does a little bunny hop about an inch off the ground straight up and down right as Fair jumps.

Does the new rule say something about him needing to be there before the player even leaves the ground? I'm not really understanding the outrage now that we have HD replays from multiple angles, but I'm not well versed on the new charge rules.

The defensive player needs to be set before the offensive player starts his upward motion, of which even gathering the ball is considered part of that act. At game speed, though, it's difficult. Most calls this year have simply been blocks, which is why preseason POTY Josh Hairston can't get into games now.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The defensive player needs to be set before the offensive player starts his upward motion, of which even gathering the ball is considered part of that act. At game speed, though, it's difficult. Most calls this year have simply been blocks, which is why preseason POTY Josh Hairston can't get into games now.

Got it. In that case, I still think it's a charge (edit: oops, originally had "block" here...my bad lol), unless starting your 2 steps is part of an "upward motion" even if the ball is going laterally. By the time he brings it up Rodney was there.

No one cares about a Duke fan's opinion on that I guess though.

For the record, I thought Jabari's take earlier in the half looked like a charge, not a block, but I haven't seen a replay on that yet.

Yeah, because the "Rupp home cooking" is nowhere near the flat out bullshit that goes on at Cameron every single game.

But whatever helps you sleep at night, bro.

I'm sure you watch every Cameron game quite closely to confirm this undeniable fact, right?

Talon

As a UNC fan, the years that Hansbrough got away with traveling precludes me from bitching about calls.

Although ACC refs suck at the Pac-12 level.

Kalnos

Banned
Meh, I don't think the call itself is *that* bad but I don't really like 'taking charges'. Just feels lame.

EDIT: On a closer look on YouTube, maybe it was a bad call.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm sure you watch every Cameron game quite closely to confirm this undeniable fact, right?

With 100% unbiased opinion. I'm sure the 200 SEC basketball fans that would read that post would find it quite laughable.

I see the reply, and I really don't see the controversy. Hood was there when Fair started his move. I've heard people say "but his feet moved" which is true, but he's not shuffling them to slide into position or to draw contact.

Welcome to the ACC Syracuse. You've got a red hot UVA team coming up soon too.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
With 100% unbiased opinion. I'm sure the 200 SEC basketball fans that would read that post would find it quite laughable.

I see the reply, and I really don't see the controversy. Hood was there when Fair started his move. I've heard people say "but his feet moved" which is true, but he's not shuffling them to slide into position or to draw contact.

Welcome to the ACC Syracuse. You've got a red hot UVA team coming up soon too.

Thanks to Twitter, now the charge/block argument doesn't even matter anyway, because Fair was very clearly out of bounds when he caught the ball before making his drive. Holds up in both pics and video.

I'm sure the anti-Duke haters/trolls will find another call to latch onto, though.

hoos30

On a different note, being somebody who doesn't usually watch Duke games what was the deal with the camera angle on the broadcast? Was it just me or was it much more of an overhead, slanting down angle than most college basketball games?

Was really irritating and was thinking it might have been because Cameron is a smaller venue?

Right- just make the calls consistent and call the game consistently and that non charge at the end would have been acceptable.

Cameron is WAY smaller and tighter than most other arenas; there just isn't the space to put camera equipment at the normal viewing level. That's the reason they have Dickie V and crew way up in the rafters.

hoos30

The call was 50/50 at worst, I'd lean more toward the charge.

The one on Parker should have been a charge too.

JB's explosion was all about him trying to "us against the world" his sliding team back into focus. The way they were going, they could have easily lost @MD and @UVa and then their #1 seed and desired NCAA pathway (Buffalo/MSG) would be in real jeopardy.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
The call was 50/50 at worst, I'd lean more toward the charge.

The one on Parker should have been a charge too.

JB's explosion was all about him trying to "us against the world" his sliding team back into focus. The way they were going, they could have easily lost @MD and @UVa and then their #1 seed and desired NCAA pathway (Buffalo/MSG) would be in real jeopardy.

In that case, why completely throw away a still very winnable game @ Duke? Can't he fire his team up after the game instead of getting thrown out?

So the next day after a big game in Cameron, we have one fanbase yelling about some great mysterious cabal between the ACC, Duke, UNC, and ESPN that favors those teams winning while holding other schools (especially non-North Carolina schools) down.

It's like Maryland's never left. Next Syracuse game in Cameron, I need some "Not Our Rivals!" chants going.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So the next day after a big game in Cameron, we have one fanbase yelling about some great mysterious cabal between the ACC, Duke, UNC, and ESPN that favors those teams winning while holding other schools (especially non-North Carolina schools) down.

It's like Maryland's never left. Next Syracuse game in Cameron, I need some "Not Our Rivals!" chants going.

We'll know for sure when Syracuse fans start yelling FAGS! at the Duke players.

Top Bottom