• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

Right cuz MVP's are based on a 5 game stretch in February.

Don't get it twisted, what Lebron has done these last 5 games is just breath taking. Easily the best 5 games he's ever played in a row, and maybe been done by anyone in a long long time. That being said, Durant's TS% for the season is actually higher than Lebron's even after this recent stretch. Let that sink in to see just how efficient he's been scoring the basketball.

I think if you're an elite level wing player, it's easy to shoot 50%+ from the field:

1) Don't hoist up any quarter ending full court or half court shots (although its a bad basketball play not to do so)

2) Unless you've got a high percentage look...If there are only 5 seconds or less left on the shot clock - pass to someone else and let them take the percentage buster (although it's a bad basketball play to do so)

3) Don't shoot more than 1 contested three a game, and only if the clock is winding down.

If you think about the average 1st option wing player shooting a combination of 3 percentage busters (last second heaves, shot clock beating 30 footers, contested jumpers) and eliminate those 3 shots in a game, you'll go up above 50% more likely then not - although its not necessarily the right basketball play.

Over 20 shots if you're a 45% shooter you'll make 9. If you eliminate those 3 shots you probably won't make you'll end up going 9-17 or 53%.

Going from 45 to 53% shooting is pretty easy, even if it's not the right way to play.
ok.

A couple things. I've read the last few pages and I don't know what your obsession is with TS% but its not the end all be all stat and it heavily favors good shooters. A more balanced stat is eFG%, where lebron leads 60% to 57%. And eFG is also favored towards 3pt shooters. Lebrons PER is higher and his per 100 is only 1pt behind Durant's, despite all the threes.

As for it being "easy" to score at 50% for wings, there are only 3 non 4s/5s that shoot at or above that. And one is miraculously a PG(TP who is amazing too).

Edit: One thing I also should note is the people who haven't been able to produce LBJ's past stretch of 30+pts and 60+%. GOAT scoring centers like Shaq and Wilt or Kareem.

Vahagn

ok.

A couple things. I've read the last few pages and I don't know what your obsession is with TS% but its not the end all be all stat and it heavily favors good shooters. A more balanced stat is eFG%, where lebron leads 60% to 57%. And eFG is also favored towards 3pt shooters. Lebrons PER is higher and his per 100 is only 1pt behind Durant's, despite all the threes.

As for it being "easy" to score at 50% for wings, there are only 3 non 4s/5s that shoot at or above that. And one is miraculously a PG(TP who is amazing too).

Edit: One thing I also should note is the people who haven't been able to produce LBJ's past stretch of 30+pts and 60+%. GOAT scoring centers like Shaq and Wilt or Kareem.

That's the most homer shit ever. eFG doesn't take into account FT shooting - which Durant is leaps and bounds better than Lebron at. But keep being a homer.

And it doesn't matter how incredible it was...it's 5 games in February. You acting like he has the MVP locked up in mid February when his team has the worse record is just, wow.

Edit: Also, Nash is shooting above 50% from the field too and I'm too lazy to check who else.

That's the most homer shit ever. eFG doesn't take into account FT shooting - which Durant is leaps and bounds better than Lebron at. But keep being a homer.

And it doesn't matter how incredible it was...it's 5 games in February. You acting like he has the MVP locked up in mid February when his team has the worse record is just, wow.

Edit: Also, Nash is shooting above 50% from the field too and I'm too lazy to check who else.

Oh yeah you're right, but he doesn't make the FGA or PPG requirements for espns list. He probably shouldnt be brought up in this...

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/field-goals

Anyway, homer shit lol? And somehow harping on soley TS% isn't? What about the other stats I mentioned? Its telling that you have to result to petty name-calling when you only have FT% to lean on. And this is only scoring.

As far as this current stretch, its what the league and press is currently focusing most of its attention on as far as who's playing MVP ball and it will be in everyone's mind come voting time. But no, it ultimately won't decide the race and I never implied it did. Again, if KD loses this week when we head to OKC, then the race will be decided. Barring some collapse or injury, if the MVP race keeps on its same pace then LBJ will win.

Vahagn

Oh yeah you're right, but he doesn't make the FGA or PPG requirements for espns list. He probably shouldnt be brought up in this...

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/field-goals

Anyway, homer shit lol? And somehow harping on soley TS% isn't? What about the other stats I mentioned? Its telling that you have to result to petty name-calling when you only have FT% to lean on. And this is only scoring.

As far as this current stretch, its what the league and press is currently focusing most of its attention on as far as who's playing MVP ball and it will be in everyone's mind come voting time. But no, it ultimately won't decide the race and I never implied it did. Again, if KD loses this week when we head to OKC, then the race will be decided. Barring some collapse or injury, if the MVP race keeps on its same pace then LBJ will win.

MVP's aren't decided in February. Lebron is the best player on the planet. But if OKC ends up with a better record. KD leads the league in scoring and Lebron regresses to the mean then it's a tossup. If OKC Finishes more than 5 games ahead of the Heat, Durant has to take it.

I'm just marveling at you deciding this race in February or you ignoring TS% because we both know that KD's greatest strength over Lebron is his FT shooting now that Bron's upped his 3 pt shooting.

Also, the Heat have added talent to their roster in Ray ray and Rashard whereas OKC has subtracted talent in trading Harden for K-Mart. All things being considered, people will take that into account.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
MVP's aren't decided in February. Lebron is the best player on the planet. But if OKC ends up with a better record. KD leads the league in scoring and Lebron regresses to the mean then it's a tossup. If OKC Finishes more than 5 games ahead of the Heat, Durant has to take it.

I'm just marveling at you deciding this race in February or you ignoring TS% because we both know that KD's greatest strength over Lebron is his FT shooting now that Bron's upped his 3 pt shooting.

Also, the Heat have added talent to their roster in Ray ray and Rashard whereas OKC has subtracted talent in trading Harden for K-Mart. All things being considered, people will take that into account.

Lots of ifs and Martin is playing about the same role that Harden played on OKC

Lebron's mean already had him in pole position for alot of people. And scoring isn't gonna be what vaults KD over LBJ. He's just barely by the skin of his teeth scoring 2pts more per than LBJ. That's nothing. On top of Lebron doing everything else better.

Their seasons were basically a wash last year, with KD leading in scoring and having the better record but Lebron won that last matchup where many wrote the race over, despite them splitting the series. If Miami sweeps OKC this year, its basically over. By all means if it doesn't happen you can save this post and laugh till I cry if you want.

Oh and Ray and Rashard have done almost nothing.

Blackace

Lebron's mean already had him in pole position for alot of people. And scoring isn't gonna be what vaults KD over LBJ. He's just barely by the skin of his teeth scoring 2pts more per than LBJ. That's nothing. On top of Lebron doing everything else better.

Their seasons were basically a wash last year, with KD leading in scoring and having the better record but Lebron won that last matchup where many wrote the race over, despite them splitting the series. If Miami sweeps OKC this year, its basically over.

Ray has been decent at times...

Vahagn

Their seasons were basically a wash last year, with KD leading in scoring and having the better record but Lebron won that last matchup where many wrote the race over, despite them splitting the series. If Miami sweeps OKC this year, its basically over. By all means if it doesn't happen you can save this post and laugh till I cry if you want.

1) 2 points more per game isn't "nothing". He also gets more Blocks per game. Everyone knows Lebron is a better all around player, but Check my $tat$ isn't what determines MVP

2) Didn't Ray hit at least a couple game winners early on?

I remember when the SuperFriends first joined and everyone said Lebron isn't winning any more MVP's unless he averages like a triple double or something. I mean he is playing with another top 5 guy and another top 15 guy after all. Yet the Heat don't even have the best record year after year and he keeps winning MVP's.

There's some double standard shit going on is all I gotta say.

Blackace

1) 2 points more per game isn't "nothing". He also gets more Blocks per game. Everyone knows Lebron is a better all around player, but Check my $tat$ isn't what determines MVP

Check my stats on a winning team is the definition of the MVP in the NBA. So really just stop making up stuff

Vahagn

Check my stats on a winning team is the definition of the MVP in the NBA. So really just stop making up stuff

His stats aren't much better then they were in Cleveland. Neither is his team record despite playing with better talent. I don't see how you clear cut give it to a guy for having a few more apg and one more rpg when the other guy's team has a better record and he leads the league in scoring is all I'm saying.

Sure Lebron compared to everyone else not named KD is clear cut MVP - but compared to a Durant if he wins 5 more games? I'm not so sure is all I'm trying to say.

Ray has been decent at times...
Yeeah at first he was great but he's been like 4-48 or something these past few games. Shard barely even plays.

I remember when the SuperFriends first joined and everyone said Lebron isn't winning any more MVP's unless he averages like a triple double or something. I mean he is playing with another top 5 guy and another top 15 guy after all. Yet the Heat don't even have the best record year after year and he keeps winning MVP's.

There's some double standard shit going on is all I gotta say.

2pts is a bucket per aka nothing. And stats are alot of the MVP equation.

As for the superfriends shit, whoever said he was never gonna win MVP again because of that is twisted. He was legitimately the best player in the game when he came over, did you think he was just gonna become some common scrub? Not to mention Dwade's rank as a top 5 player has all but faded.

Vahagn

Yeeah at first he was great but he's been like 4-48 or something these past few games. Shard barely even plays.

2pts is a bucket per aka nothing. And stats are alot of the MVP equation.

As for the superfriends shit, whoever said he was never gonna win MVP again because of that is twisted. He was legitimately the best player in the game when he came over, did you think he was just gonna become some common scrub? Not to mention Dwade's rank as a top 5 player has all but faded.

Of course he wouldn't be a common scrub, but the idea was, he's playing on such a stacked loaded team, he has to do something truly remarkable to get MVP, if his numbers and record are like they were in Cleveland then what?

The bolded part though is what kills me. You're straight crazy if you believe that. If Lebron got injured tomorrow, Wade would go back to being unstoppable and Bosh would go back to being one of the best PF's in the game. These guys didn't just become scrubs because Bron came over, they just sacrificed their individual game which is what happens with a collection of All Stars.

Go look at what Pippen did the year after Jordan left for some perspective. If Bron goes down. Wade will average 25-30 and Bosh will average 20+ in their sleep.

Blackace

His stats aren't much better then they were in Cleveland. Neither is his team record despite playing with better talent. I don't see how you clear cut give it to a guy for having a few more apg and one more rpg when the other guy's team has a better record and he leads the league in scoring is all I'm saying.

Sure Lebron compared to everyone else not named KD is clear cut MVP - but compared to a Durant if he wins 5 more games? I'm not so sure is all I'm trying to say.

Wait so the fact that he still scoring at about the same clip, but way more better while finding ways to make his team better is a bad thing?

Blackace

Of course he wouldn't be a common scrub, but the idea was, he's playing on such a stacked loaded team, he has to do something truly remarkable to get MVP, if his numbers and record are like they were in Cleveland then what?

The bolded part though is what kills me. You're straight crazy if you believe that. If Lebron got injured tomorrow, Wade would go back to being unstoppable and Bosh would go back to being one of the best PF's in the game. These guys didn't just become scrubs because Bron came over, they just sacrificed their individual game which is what happens with a collection of All Stars.

Go look at what Pippen did the year after Jordan left for some perspective. If Bron goes down. Wade will average 25-30 and Bosh will average 20+ in their sleep.

What does Pippen in his prime have to do with an injury plagued Wade? Such odd logic

Blackace

I give up arguing with you guys.

Wade and Bosh are scrubs. And Lebron has MVP locked down in February.

Never said that, those are your words.

That's like me saying Westbrook is a scrub or if KD got hurt Kevin Martin would revert back to his Sac-Town scoring average

MooseKing

Banned

Bosh still is one of the best PF in the game. Even with Wade and Lebron on the floor.

The guy is averaging over 17-7, while shooting 54 percent from the field, 80 percent from the FT line and getting 1.2 BPG as a THIRD OPTION. That is some historical shit. How many third options have averaged anything like that in the past 20 years? virtually none.

Blackace

Bosh still is one of the best PF in the game. Even with Wade and Lebron on the floor.

The guy is averaging over 17-7, while shooting 54 percent from the field, 80 percent from the FT line and getting 1.2 BPG as a THIRD OPTION. That is some historical shit. How many third options have averaged anything like that in the past 20 years? virtually none.

Horace Grant in 93-94 was 15/11 on 52% with a much worse FT% tho

I give up arguing with you guys.

anchormangif.gif

Bosh is like Prime Gasol 2.0. I think he gave up on improving his rebounds. What I would kill for a Horace Grant or even Ben Wallace type player on the Heat

trax?

is that you?

Vahagn

I don't think a PF essentially playing Center and getting 7 rebounds is some "historical" shit.

Also, the obvious answer to who's a better 3rd option is James Worthy. Or KG/Ray Ray on that 08 Celtics team depending on who you think is the 3rd option.

I think Ray has hit two game winners

Outside of that he has been rather worthless much of the time, but I think it's because he tries to do too much a lot of the time, kinda like when Mike Miller got here

Blackace

I don't think a PF essentially playing Center and getting 7 rebounds is some "historical" shit.

Also, the obvious answer to who's a better 3rd option is James Worthy. Or KG/Ray Ray on that 08 Celtics team depending on who you think is the 3rd option.

Stayed within his 20 year limit, but Parish is the ultimate 3rd wheel of my time

Ray ray was great in November. every month since that? straight shit, can't hit a fucking shot like battier and miller(besides that SA game) in the regular season last year and unlike battier, his defense is terrible.. I'm hoping he gets out of his shooting slump at the latest by the playoffs.

Ray ray was great in November. every month since that? straight shit, can't hit a fucking shot like battier and miller(besides that SA game) in the regular season and unlike battier, his defense is terrible.. I'm hoping he gets out of his shooting slump at the latest by the playoffs.

At this point I think we should just send him on the Mike Miller maintenance program

PBY

Banned
Ray ray was great in November. every month since that? straight shit, can't hit a fucking shot like battier and miller(besides that SA game) in the regular season last year and unlike battier, his defense is terrible.. I'm hoping he gets out of his shooting slump at the latest by the playoffs.
He's shooting like 13% in february.

He's shooting like 13% in february.

Are we just going to pretend that Ray Allen isn't making anything anymore!?!?!?

Somehow he's still shooting 41 percent from three. But I'm pretty sure we all thought he was going to shoot like 75% from three or something like that

Also thought that with Mike. I guess Miami is where 3 point shooters die...in the regular season?

From the LA Times: “Kobe Bryant couldn’t understand how Brown could sign with the Philadelphia 76ers this off-season to a two-year, $6-million deal. ‘I don’t know how he convinced Philadelphia to cough up $7 million a year,’ said Bryant, slightly inflating Brown’s salary. ‘They want to lock us out, but they’ll pay him $7 million.’

Another reporter sarcastically gave Brown credit for at least stepping foot on the court even if his mind wasn’t always there. ‘He was present,’ Bryant said with a smirk. ‘He was there.’ … ‘So it was like ‘Weekend at Bernie’s'?’ another reporter asked. Bryant laughed. ‘Exactly,’ he said.’”

That's not even nice, Kobe.

Poor Kwame.

PBY

Banned
Hey kado and possibly ph33. Your fav trashy white girl Kesha is singing in all star weekend

my ear drums are ready

Why don't they play to their audience? Get a rapper pleaseeeee, aint nobody wanna hear Kesha with bball.

When Kanye performed it was dope as hell.

charsace

Dwight's problem on the pick and roll is that he doesn't have the basketball iq to overcome his lack of jumper which limits his ability to pop. Dwight doesn't work in a free form offense. He was lost in the Princeton earlier in the season while Pau looked like he was catching on. Now Dwight is in another free form offense and he doesn't look good in it. Dwight hasn't looked confident on the Lakers all season. He needs to be in a structured offense to excel.

Everyone hated on SVG for being a bad coach when in reality he built Orlando around Dwight's strength and weaknesses. Ironic that Diwght wanted to be featured to the best of his abilities and loved by fans and dude left a situation where those things were happening.

So I met Greg Oden this weekend when in vegas...

He laughed when I told him that I honked twice.

Im not even from Portland.

He must get that a lot. You're lucky he's good natured because if it was me in his position I would hitting someone at least once for that joke.

diehard

Fleer
I'm calling it now, if the Jazz lose tonight we miss the playoffs.

sucks because i think we would have had a shot at the 6 seed or so if Mo and GTIME weren't injured.

Pimpwerx

Whoa! Cowherd just pointed out a hilarious stat.

In 2009-10, Bron lead the Cavs to 61 wins.

Since leaving Cleveland, the Cavs had totalled....

...56 wins.

I can't believe people really think he wants to go back to that hell hole. PEACE.

Top Bottom