• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Feb NBA Season lOT| Controlling it like a man, bruh

pilonv1

Josh Smith-Larry Sanders would be a beastly frontline. Wonder if the Bucks would give up Henson to do it.

No idea what Phoenix is doing and they probably don't know either.

Not like they have a shortage of bigs, I'd give up Henson in a heartbeat for Smith. They've still got Udoh.

Jennings/Ellis/Smith/Ersan would be a lot of jacked shots.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Portland still willing to move J.J. Hickson, but hasn't found an appealing offer yet, sources tell Y!

lol

I don't know why the NBA doesn't celebrate Russell like they do Jordan. The NBA sucks at celebrating players pre-1980.

They just broadcast like a half hour long interview with him right before the all star game. He's their ambassador for like, everything. It's not possible for him to be as big a deal as Jordan was though, everybody in the world saw him on TV, either playing or in commercials. Nobody even watched the NBA when Russell was playing. It was just a low tier regional thing. I don't even think there's that much surviving footage of his games.

rando14

I don't know why the NBA doesn't celebrate Russell like they do Jordan. The NBA sucks at celebrating players pre-1980.

It's kinda complicated I think, esp considering his off-court controversies. While Jordan is obviously no saint (lol), Russell had a lot of problems with racism and bigotry, along with issues even with his own city (not signing autographs for white kids, etc). I can't really comment on that since I can't imagine the struggles he went through as a black man in the 50s and 60s, but for a while he was really not liked.

*shrug* I dunno though, 11 rings and 5 MVPs definitely is incredible and for basketball purposes I personally think he's earned everyone's respect.

They just broadcast like a half hour long interview with him right before the all star game. He's their ambassador for like, everything. It's not possible for him to be as big a deal as Jordan was though, everybody in the world saw him on TV, either playing or in commercials. Nobody even watched the NBA when Russell was playing. It was just a low tier regional thing. I don't even think there's that much surviving footage of his games.

Yeah there isn't too much footage I could find which is a total shame. :/

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
@WojYahooNBA

Minnesota has been aggressive in offering multiple first-round picks for established talent, league sources tell Y!

Under no circumstances should the Wolves deal their lottery pick this year.

It's kinda complicated I think, esp considering his off-court controversies. While Jordan is obviously no saint (lol), Russell had a lot of problems with racism and bigotry, along with issues even with his own city (not signing autographs for white kids, etc). I can't really comment on that since I can't imagine the struggles he went through as a black man in the 50s and 60s, but for a while he was really not liked.

*shrug* I dunno though, 11 rings and 5 MVPs definitely is incredible and for basketball purposes I personally think he's earned everyone's respect.

Yeah there isn't too much footage I could find which is a total shame. :/

Russell doesn't sign for anyone. Black or white. He didn't even sign for his own teammates. He had his bedroom urinated and set on fire while playing. Never got the credit or love that an Orr, Ted Williams, Yaz, or Bird got.

I saw Russell in Vegas a number of years ago and knew he didnt sign (well unless he's being paid). I saw a kid walk up to him with a pen and paper and Russell walked right by him. I stuck out my hand and he shook it. Thats what he has always said. Shake his hand dont ask him for an auto.

Flash

looks like it's going to be a shitty draft this year. I don't think it's a horrible idea if the right deal comes up.

I still think the Raptors trading our first rounder for Lowry was a good deal so long as we don't make the playoffs

Russell doesn't sign for anyone. Black or white. He didn't even sign for his own teammates. He had his bedroom urinated and set on fire while playing. Never got the credit or love that an Orr, Ted Williams, Yaz, or Bird got.

I saw Russell in Vegas a number of years ago and knew he didnt sign (well unless he's being paid). I saw a kid walk up to him with a pen and paper and Russell walked right by him. I stuck out my hand and he shook it. Thats what he has always said. Shake his hand dont ask him for an auto.
he should have told the kid that.

Asking for an autograph has always seemed kind of stupid to me. Personally, I'd never ask for one. I'd much rather go for the hand shake, so Russell has my vote of approval there.

exarkun

I have been released!

I will never talk about Al Jefferson again. Will not defend him in any way. I hope he goes to the hawks for Josh Smith.

That, and the internet is a serious place.

Rodeo Clown

Agreed, if you guys can stay healthy it should be the last one you'll be getting for a while. Draft Alex Len or Isaiah Austin and your roster will be looking pretty good top to bottom.

Apparently, the guy they like is Indiana' Oladipo. I know this because they fed his name to the press.

Asking for an autograph has always seemed kind of stupid to me. Personally, I'd never ask for one. I'd much rather go for the hand shake, so Russell has my vote of approval there.
Even if it's a kid? I understand Russel's reasons for not wanting to sign but it always makes celebs look like assholes when they ignore kids. If it was an adult then I wouldn't mind.

Established talent? Hey, 7 foot Italian sharpshooter Andrea Bargnani and his _R@RE!_ skillset have been in the NBA for like 6 or 7 or 200 years now. I think something could be worked out.

looks like it's going to be a shitty draft this year. I don't think it's a horrible idea if the right deal comes up.

I still think the Raptors trading our first rounder for Lowry was a good deal so long as we don't make the playoffs

I think it's better if they some how do, and keep making them. Eventually the protection comes off and OKC gets the pick whatever it is, I'd love to give them like the 26th pick one day.

Even if it's a kid? I understand Russel's reasons for not wanting to sign but it always makes celebs look like assholes when they ignore kids. If it was an adult then I wouldn't mind.

It's always more the adult with the kid pushing him/her on the celeb. I hate the celeb worship culture we have, there are better role models out there than athletes/actors. It's good for kids to learn that.

I think location is just as important as money for a lot of these athletes. No young athlete in his prime wants to be caught dead in Milwaukee.

That's very true

Unfortunately for Josh I don't think the teams that are ideal cities to live in will give him the max. And in the end I think he will take max money over the city. But we'll see

If the Suns are dumb enough to give him the max after being so cheap for so long he would resign there

Flash

Established talent? Hey, 7 foot Italian sharpshooter Andrea Bargnani and his _R@RE!_ skillset have been in the NBA for like 6 or 7 or 200 years now. I think something could be worked out.

I think it's better if they some how do, and keep making them. Eventually the protection comes off and OKC gets the pick whatever it is, I'd love to give them like the 26th pick one day.

I would love coming back and making the playoffs this year but I hate having that pick over our heads. Won't be disappointed if they finish 9th or something.

Either way I'm glad we're finally winning some games, and in an exciting fashion to boot... and Bargnani literally went from our franchise cornerstone to a role player with a short leash in a span of 2 months. Feels good man.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Minnesota has been aggressive in offering multiple first-round picks for established talent, league sources tell Y!

I'm sorry, Rodeo. Then again, with Kahn drafting...

Gosh, that poor 8 year old kid won't get to have the autograph of his hero Bill Russell, because he totally knows who he is from all those basketball games from 1968 he watches and his dad totally didn't just tell him to go over there and score an autograph.

I would love coming back and making the playoffs this year but I hate having that pick over our heads. Won't be disappointed if they finish 9th or something.

Either way I'm glad we're finally winning some games, and in an exciting fashion to boot... and Bargnani literally went from our franchise cornerstone to a role player with a short leash in a span of 2 months. Feels good man.

You'll get your wish. They're not getting in this year, they're too deep in the hole and they have too many problems with their lineup to keep winning at this pace. 9th in the East isn't unrealistic though, and hopefully they can pass some of the Western teams and get the 12-14 pick.

Rodeo Clown

I'm sorry, Rodeo. Then again, with Kahn drafting...

It'll be all better when Flip Saunders is drafting.

I think it's pretty stupefying how little the Wolves value picks. They've been giving them away for years under Kahn. Good players on rookie deals on the best thing in basketball, fool.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/17/mlse-shooting-for-2016-nba-all-star-game

Oh man. If Drake is still famous by then he's going to make it so it's three days of just him.

Maybe he'll have shuffled off to T-Dot rap valhalla with Maestro Fresh Wes and Main Source by then.

If it comes to Toronto you know Kardinal Offishall will be popping up to perform.

Wait did I read it wrong with the terms? If we make the playoffs we keep the pick?

MooseKing

Banned
Our no. 1 pick? Yup … Kyrie Irving. You know, because any time you can grab a freshman point guard who missed two-thirds of the season when you have $20 million of point guards on your roster, you have to do it. We'll see how this goes: I see him settling somewhere between an extremely poor man's Chris Paul and a rich man's Mike Conley. Will he ever make an All-Star team? It's possible … maybe one or two. One thing I don't understand: Why does everyone keep saying this month that you "need" a good point guard to win? Didn't anyone watch Jason Kidd and Mario Chalmers just battle in the Finals? You need good players to win. I believe Derrick Williams will be a more effective professional basketball player than Kyrie Irving. We will see.

Oh Bill Simmons, you crazy

h3ro

Maybe Laker fans are right and Pringles is the worst coach in the league.

Would be a pretty good thing for the Jazz though!

CbelU.jpg

Top Bottom