• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

Good for TLOU. I'm glad so many others enjoyed the game as much as I did. Though I wish Pikmin 3 would get some love :/ Oh well, at least ALBW and Tearaway got some nods.

odhiex

A great summary thread by OP.

I did not participate in the Gaf goty thread this year, as I do not have any chance finishing (or even played) a lot of these games. But I did finish TLOU, and I must say it really deserves all the praises :)

GeoramA

The media got it right. Probably wouldn't be a gamer if Naughty Dog & Rockstar didn't exist. Can't wait for their PS4 output this gen.

Gurish

Can someone edit a list of only big publishers or sites that are counted in Metacritic scores?
I guess Tlou would still win (and I'm fine with that) but from what i saw other games will have bigger representation, a lot of those sites chose other games such as indie titles or handheld games or nintendo games and not one of the big AAA releases, that was my impression at least.

Anyway can someone comprise such a list ? Even if to shut up the doubters that complain that Tlou was chosen by obscure sites that were picked specifically...

Can someone edit a list of only big publishers or sites that are counted in Metacritic scores?

Filtered out the ones that aren't on Metacritic (Edit: with the exception of VGX, since that's an awards show). Hope I didn't miss any. TLoU would still be leading, but not by a significant margin.

The Last of Us

- Gamesradar
- Cheat Code Central
- Game Revolution
- LevelUp
- Gamereactor Sweden
- Hardcore Gamer
- Eurogamer Italy
- Destructoid
- Giantbomb
- Gamereactor Denmark
- Telegraph
- Videogamer
- 3DJuegos
- Gamesbeat
- DarkZero

Grand Theft Auto V

- VGX
- Machinima
- Edge
- Gamer.nl
- God is a Geek
- Meristation
- LazyGamer
- Quarter to Three
- Actiontrip
- Metro Game Central
- GRY Online
- Eurogamer Spain
- Eurogamer Germany

Super Mario 3D World

- Digital Spy
- Guardian
- Eurogamer

The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds

- Gamespot
- Polygon (not sure if this was their overall pick)

Bioshock Infinite

- EGM

Gurish

Filtered out the ones that aren't on Metacritic. Hope I didn't miss any. TLoU would still be leading, but not by a significant margin.

The Last of Us

- Gamesradar
- Cheat Code Central
- Game Revolution
- LevelUp
- Gamereactor Sweden
- Hardcore Gamer
- Eurogamer Italy
- Destructoid
- Giantbomb
- Gamereactor Denmark
- Telegraph
- Videogamer
- 3DJuegos
- Gamesbeat
- DarkZero

Grand Theft Auto V

- VGX
- Machinima
- Edge
- Gamer.nl
- God is a Geek
- Meristation
- LazyGamer
- Quarter to Three
- Actiontrip
- Metro Game Central
- GRY Online
- Eurogamer Spain
- Eurogamer Germany

Super Mario 3D World

- Digital Spy
- Guardian
- Eurogamer

- Gamespot
- Polygon (not sure if this counts)

Bioshock Infinite

- EGM

Thanks a lot!
Wow this is much closer than though out to be, and GT and IGN haven't picked up theirs...It's not over YET!

And Polygon does count as they are part of Metacritic.

KingK

Can't say I disagree with TLOU and GTAV being the top media picks. TLOU is my personal GOTY, and GTAV is probably second.

I'm surprised Fire Emblem awakening hasn't won anything yet.

Yeah, that's disappointing. I'm loving ALBW (I got it for christmas and I'm already 8 dungeons in), but it's kinda sad to see it overshadow Fire Emblem so much, which I think is a better game.

The constant every year when it comes to GOTY awards is Sony it seems. Every year they have a game in the Top 4-5 when it comes to number of GOTY awards.

It's because Sony is the most active amongst the three platform-holders in pursuing prestige projects and has done the most to build up studios that make the type of game that wins these votes.

Cyborg

I played Bioshock and TLOU but I dont understand why Bioshock is the GOTY. Ive enjoyed TLOU much much more.

Kadayi

Banned
Person with no face said:
You mean, apart from the bits where they actually say it's their GotY?

My concern was more over the main title 'The Amazing & Astonishing RPS Advent Calendar: Day 24'.

antitrop

If that is the actual reason, that's pretty pathetic. That said, opinions can change greatly over time and I don't think I've heard him say that he hates it, only that it is being overrated.
Well, since he's banned that's kind of a cheap shot since he can't defend himself. I did see him say that his opinion on The Last of Us shifted when he went to replay it, because of all the cutscenes and and the slow pacing of the beginning of the game.

Ridesh

Banned
It's also odd that 2 pages back he said to it's better to keep it to known sites.

Too much garbage sites and agendas in this thread compared to past years, disappointing.

But not well-known sites are already in the op in favour of TLOU, all I'm doing is posting this kind of sites in favour of the other games. It's fairer to me.

If you ask me the better thing to do is this:

Filtered out the ones that aren't on Metacritic (Edit: with the exception of VGX, since that's an awards show). Hope I didn't miss any. TLoU would still be leading, but not by a significant margin.

The Last of Us

- Gamesradar
- Cheat Code Central
- Game Revolution
- LevelUp
- Gamereactor Sweden
- Hardcore Gamer
- Eurogamer Italy
- Destructoid
- Giantbomb
- Gamereactor Denmark
- Telegraph
- Videogamer
- 3DJuegos
- Gamesbeat
- DarkZero

Grand Theft Auto V

- VGX
- Machinima
- Edge
- Gamer.nl
- God is a Geek
- Meristation
- LazyGamer
- Quarter to Three
- Actiontrip
- Metro Game Central
- GRY Online
- Eurogamer Spain
- Eurogamer Germany

Super Mario 3D World

- Digital Spy
- Guardian
- Eurogamer

- Gamespot
- Polygon (not sure if this was their overall pick)

Bioshock Infinite

- EGM

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't think Metacritic should be used. Cheat Code Central, Actiontrip, Metro Game Central, GRY Online, etc. over something like Kotaku is just wrong. :p

I thought it would be a much much closer race between GTAV and TLOU, but TLOU is pretty much unstoppable at this point.

Even if it wasn't a worthy pick, I'd probably have wanted it to run away with all the awards just for the hilarious saltmine it brings with it.

mejin

I thought it would be a much much closer race between GTAV and TLOU, but TLOU is pretty much unstoppable at this point.

Even if it wasn't a worthy pick, I'd probably have wanted it to run away with all the awards just for the hilarious saltmine it brings with it.

Well, I'm surprised at the results.

I really thought that the prestige of Rockstar would weigh more in her favor at the time of the awards.

Naughty Dog now have her place between the best developers. I hope they continue delivering.

Gurish

I don't think Metacritic should be used. Cheat Code Central, Actiontrip, Metro Game Central, GRY Online, etc. over something like Kotaku is just wrong. :p
I suggested not only metacritic but a combination of a known, big site as well, although 99% of the time it comes hand in hand, kotaku is the exceptional but you can count it as a known site.
Anyway i thinks that with GT and Joystiq the list of big sites favors Tlou even more now...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I suggested not only metacritic but a combination of a known, big site as well, although 99% of the time it comes hand in hand, kotaku is the exceptional but you can count it as a known site.
Anyway i thinks that with GT and Joystiq the list of big sites favors Tlou even more now...
I agree that one needs a list of what is considered a well known, or quality site before doing the count. That way there is no bias after the fact with people only posting random websites that have their favorite games on them.

But then again how serious should one take this overall Media Picks shit and is it really important who won the most on most sites? Especially if it's not a landslide victory like 2009 was.

Please, take a deep breath.

Okay, now the purpose of this thread is to provide as wide an unbiased sample as possible of the media's top GOTY picks.

If a media outlet has a domain name or is part of the traditional print media (commercial newspapers/magazines), that is sufficient to qualify. Reader polls and individual staff lists are not considered, only overall staff results. Ties between up to two titles are considered.

As listing as many media picks takes a deal of effort, contributions are appreciated. What's not appreciated is bringing in a biased agenda to "stuff the ballot box" and list only media picks for certain titles to the exclusion of others. If a site didn't pick your favorite title and you pass on listing it for that reason, that doesn't help.

Thanks to everyone here posting in an unbiased manner.

Ridesh

Banned
I agree with what you say Cheesemeister, but TLOU awards have already been posted in past pages and what I did was posting awards that haven't been included for the other games.

I also agree that the best way is to make a list of well-known, big sites like CerebralTiger is doing.

Kadayi

Banned
If a media outlet has a domain name or is part of the traditional print media (commercial newspapers/magazines), that is sufficient to qualify. Reader polls and individual staff lists are not considered, only overall staff results. Ties between up to two titles are considered.

Well RPS choice of Kentucky Route Zero fulfills that criteria. It was a collective overall staff decision.

Gurish

OK now I don't think anyone can argue that TLOU is the overall GOTY by the media, no matter how you filter the list- known sites only, all sites, whatever, it won pretty easily i might say, this is quite surprising because i though that GTA5 would come on top.

Congratulation ND!!

rdrr gnr

OK now I don't think anyone can argue that TLOU is the overall GOTY by the media, no matter how you filter the list- known sites only, all sites, whatever, it won pretty easily i might say, this is quite surprising because i though that GTA5 would come on top.

Congratulation ND!!
I wonder how close it was for the VGX thing.

Top Bottom