• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

Wynnebeck

Banned
In my experience the gameplay was a massive chore. Every fight was another "Ughhh here we go again" and forcing myself to push through to get to the next story segment. I stopped playing it for a week before a friend talked me into finishing it due to its crazy ending which kind of delivered. I would never play it again.

Agreed. The fight in the graveyard was pretty much my breaking point and I only continued so I could finish the story. Story-wise, game is very interesting. Gameplay wise, extremely repetitive.

Each editor at MMGN.com (an Australian site) has picked their own GOTY (as well as detailing their most surprising, disappointing and anticipated games).

Anyway winners were:

Fire Emblem: Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Bioshock Infinite
Fifa 14 (though this is just the dude who runs the place, he admits he doesn't play a whole lot)

http://ps3.mmgn.com/Articles/game-of-the-year-2013-mmgn-editors-editi

I'm unsure if they're doing an overall pick (I know they're doing a separate community vote).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
oh so it's basically cutscene->arena->cutscene->arena type of game? that's kinda sad to hear.

Yeah. For what it's worth, the gunplay in Infinite is much improved over the original Bioshock, though I am not much of a fan of the series from the start.

Almost literally.
ouch. i will have to pass up then.
Yeah. For what it's worth, the gunplay in Infinite is much improved over the original Bioshock, though I am not much of a fan of the series from the start.
i am at that point where i am looking for unique experiences. been playing games for a long time so the regular shooter isn't going to cut it for me. if infinite only has its story and art to carry it and the gunplay and everything else isn't that great, might as well not waste my time. i still have other games i want to play and the bioshocks are not on the top of that list.

The list thats last updated in the OP seems rather unoriginal and homogenous. A lot of AAA titles that almost everyone played but hardly any of them stand out to me as anything terribly impressive.

Looks like a two horse race... and I can't think of two more deserving nags this year. GTA V and TLOU both deserve all the awards they have coming, but I kind of want TLOU to end up being the more 'successful' game here just because I know how much it'll upset certain people :)

Gonna be amazing to see if TLOU is GAF's top 2013 game as well.

Looks like a two horse race... and I can't think of two more deserving nags this year. GTA V and TLOU both deserve all the awards they have coming, but I kind of want TLOU to end up being the more 'successful' game here just because I know how much it'll upset certain people :)

Gonna be amazing to see if TLOU is GAF's top 2013 game as well.

I think it looks pretty clear TLoU will win GAF GOTY.

Jonboy

GamesBeat

Winner: The Last of Us

Runners-Up
BioShock: Infinite (PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
Tearaway (PlayStation Vita)
Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
The Stanley Parable (PC)

Majmun

Remember when people were saying that TLoU would be forgotten after a few months because everyone was just hyped at launch, that a new AAA game would take its spotlight just how TLoU did with Infinite?

LOL

Remember when people were saying that TLoU would be forgotten after a few months because everyone was just hyped at launch, that a new AAA game would take its spotlight just how TLoU did with Infinite?

LOL

Remember this gif lol

original

redcrayon

LOL

Yeah, I think I said that. I'll take a nice side salad with my crow, please :)

GTA V and the last of us are truly my favorite games of this year, both from 2 of my favorite developers of all time (probably they are tied at the top spot, then it comes nintendo, irrational, kojima prod, and many others).

Glad to see both of these games get some extremely deserved love!

Alright, I've updated the OP with picks listed in the thread thus far. I'll go digging for others later. As always, post 'em if you've got 'em, but please be impartial.

Radec

Wish I have the patience to edit this gif and replace Kaz's face with TLoU and the rest with other goty contenders.
KuGsj.gif

iPqamXNg4PSYo.gif

Fjordson

LOL
Came true for me. Pretty forgettable game.

I knew that would never happen with the media, though. Naughty Dog games aren't exactly under the radar indies.

I'm surprised Fire Emblem awakening hasn't won anything yet.
Yeah, bit unfortunate. Amazing game.

Top Bottom