• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLS head coach power rankings

1.) Bruce Arena
2.) Caleb Porter
3.) Jason Kreis
4.) Dom Kinnear
5.) Peter Vermes
6.) Sigi Schmid
7.) Mike Petke
8.) Oscar Pareja
9.) Marco Schalibaum

Don't care about the rest

Agree/disagree?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Well the league already lost Hans Backe... I look forward to the new and innovative perplexed angry/sad faces Sigi will make in future years.

3ACta.jpg

Forever.

Dartastic

MLS head coach power rankings

1.) Bruce Arena
2.) Caleb Porter
3.) Jason Kreis
4.) Dom Kinnear
5.) Peter Vermes
6.) Sigi Schmid
7.) Mike Petke
8.) Oscar Pareja
9.) Marco Schalibaum

Don't care about the rest

Agree/disagree?
Is this your personal list? Personally I think the coach of the year is Caleb. Not strictly because I love the Timbers, but because we were literally one of the worst teams in the ENTIRE LEAGUE last year, and he turned us around to a team that is a contender for the MLS cup. That's pretty incredible. Petke also deserves to be higher.

Is this your personal list? Personally I think the coach of the year is Caleb. Not strictly because I love the Timbers, but because we were literally one of the worst teams in the ENTIRE LEAGUE last year, and he turned us around to a team that is a contender for the MLS cup. That's pretty incredible. Petke also deserves to be higher.

Yeah, those are my personal rankings.

And I completely agree with you on coach of the year. People claiming Petke deserves it over Porter are crazy. If he coached for anywhere but New York (both because of the drought busting and because of the national attention), he wouldn't be anywhere near the conversation. No one but Porter would be. He engineered the best single season turnaround in league history. The only reason why he's not number one is because he Arena has so much more experience under his belt.

I can see Petke going higher, but I just couldn't justify putting him over Kinnear, Vermes, or Sigi. Really all 4 of those could be ranks 4a through 4d - there's not much between them, IMHO.

xbhaskarx

LeBron James may join David Beckham to bring MLS team to Miami

“There’s some interest on both sides,” James said. “David has become a good friend of mine over the last few years. I think it would be great for this city to have a football club for sure. There’s interest on both sides but it’s preliminary talks.”

“The research is still being made out,” James said. “I think it could be huge. You never know. I think this is a great town for soccer. There’s a lot of soccer players, there’s great youth soccer players here and people love the city as well. That definitely would help.”

Dartastic

I kinda liked it to be honest.
Yeah, those are my personal rankings.

And I completely agree with you on coach of the year. People claiming Petke deserves it over Porter are crazy. If he coached for anywhere but New York (both because of the drought busting and because of the national attention), he wouldn't be anywhere near the conversation. No one but Porter would be. He engineered the best single season turnaround in league history. The only reason why he's not number one is because he Arena has so much more experience under his belt.

I can see Petke going higher, but I just couldn't justify putting him over Kinnear, Vermes, or Sigi. Really all 4 of those could be ranks 4a through 4d - there's not much between them, IMHO.
I think Petke deserves to be higher because so many of those coaches were so STATIC. Like, I know that Sigi has a pretty good pedigree blah blah blah etc. but, he got Clint Dempsey and suddenly the team fell apart. I know that it happened in the middle of the season, but Seattle lost 6 (I believe?) games at the end of the season, which is not what should have happened. If I was a Seattle supporter, that would be unacceptable to me. ...as a member of the Army, I chuckle. Hehehe. Regardless, it was really odd. Meanwhile, Petke is in his first year of coaching, has to deal with international stars like Henri, and coaches the team to the Supporters Shield. He does deserve to be higher.

Also, RE: Arena. Sorry dude. You got eliminated, already. Meanwhile one of the worst teams from last year (the Timbers) is still in the running to win the Cup. Can't give it to you. Sorry.

Speaking of all this stuff, I am really excited for the upcoming game. One of the things that Porter has consistently done well this season is adjust the team, whether it's for upcoming games or even at the half. This upcoming game is really a test of our character. If we can make this happen (which we have done in the past with other teams) we really are guaranteed IMO the Cup. I really don't see SKC or Houston beating us. I don't really see the East beating the West regardless, but ya know. This upcoming game is really going to be a test of character and I'm so, so excited to go to it. I'll try and take some videos and pics for GAF so you can understand what it's like to be in the Army. :)

I kinda liked it to be honest.

I think Petke deserves to be higher because so many of those coaches were so STATIC. Like, I know that Sigi has a pretty good pedigree blah blah blah etc. but, he got Clint Dempsey and suddenly the team fell apart. I know that it happened in the middle of the season, but Seattle lost 6 (I believe?) games at the end of the season, which is not what should have happened. If I was a Seattle supporter, that would be unacceptable to me. ...as a member of the Army, I chuckle. Hehehe. Regardless, it was really odd. Meanwhile, Petke is in his first year of coaching, has to deal with international stars like Henri, and coaches the team to the Supporters Shield. He does deserve to be higher.

Also, RE: Arena. Sorry dude. You got eliminated, already. Meanwhile one of the worst teams from last year (the Timbers) is still in the running to win the Cup. Can't give it to you. Sorry.

Speaking of all this stuff, I am really excited for the upcoming game. One of the things that Porter has consistently done well this season is adjust the team, whether it's for upcoming games or even at the half. This upcoming game is really a test of our character. If we can make this happen (which we have done in the past with other teams) we really are guaranteed IMO the Cup. I really don't see SKC or Houston beating us. I don't really see the East beating the West regardless, but ya know. This upcoming game is really going to be a test of character and I'm so, so excited to go to it. I'll try and take some videos and pics for GAF so you can understand what it's like to be in the Army. :)

I think you're misremembering things. We actually went on a tear after we signed Dempsey (though it's not clear how much of it was due to him, since he had limited playing time). It was several months after the signing that we went into our late season swoon.

And to be clear, I'm not advocating for Arena to win coach of the year. I do still think he's the best coach in the league, or at least if you told me I could have any one coach to instantly replace Sigi at the Sounders, he'd be the one I'd pick. Arena is Chris Wondolowski, a proven goal scorer and no fluke; Porter is a rookie that notches 18 goals in his first season. Said rookie could very well be better than Wondo, but he'll have to prove it over the course of more than one season.

Well again, to be clear

Osorio

Not saying the video was bad but they're not even trying to hide the fact that the team will be a Man City B side gimmick playing in Yankee Stadium.

When all is said and done it must be a disappointing package for the people who held off on going to Red Bulls game because it was too much of a brand.

In a way I wanted NYCFC to be a more proper New York franchise so that Red Bull would have to either change the name to compete or sell. Instead, it'll be the brand derby with Cosmos fans of all people to have the moral high ground.

Not saying the video was bad but they're not even trying to hide the fact that the team will be a Man City B side gimmick playing in Yankee Stadium.

When all is said and done it must be a disappointing package for the people who held off on going to Red Bulls game because it was too much of a brand.

In a way I wanted NYCFC to be a more proper New York franchise so that Red Bull would have to either change the name to compete or sell. Instead, it'll be the brand derby with Cosmos fans of all people to have the moral high ground.
Yep. I have no interest in a NY team and I think it was a complete misfire.

Dartastic

I think you're misremembering things. We actually went on a tear after we signed Dempsey (though it's not clear how much of it was due to him, since he had limited playing time). It was several months after the signing that we went into our late season swoon.

And to be clear, I'm not advocating for Arena to win coach of the year. I do still think he's the best coach in the league, or at least if you told me I could have any one coach to instantly replace Sigi at the Sounders, he'd be the one I'd pick. Arena is Chris Wondolowski, a proven goal scorer and no fluke; Porter is a rookie that notches 18 goals in his first season. Said rookie could very well be better than Wondo, but he'll have to prove it over the course of more than one season.

Well again, to be clear
Yeah, I had a couple of drinks at that point and definitely was misremembering things last night, haha. Regardless, things fell apart when they should not have been. Ah well. Better luck next year. Also, I thought that you were talking about a coach of the year list, not an overall ranking as a whole. Haha. That makes a lot more sense.

Also, congrats Orlando! Yayyyy.

Meier

Does Orlando have an academy setup ?

Yep. They acquired some younger, development squads and have incorporated them into the team/structure over the past few years. They have a U-23 team that plays in the level below USL PDL (not sure if they'll move them up to USL Pro perhaps?) and a Youth Squad. I am sure they will continue to expand those operations though.

Dartastic

Alright MLS GAF, I need your help really badly right now.

I applied for a position with the Timbers a couple weeks ago. I followed up on it last night, and today got an email asking me why I want to work in sales.

My plan of attack is twofold. Firstly, I'll state why I think I'm the right fit for the job; namely how I enjoy working with people and how caring about something the way I do make it seem like I'm not actually selling something, but I'm attempting to pass my passion onto them.

The second part of it is to tell how I feel that passing that passion on is to help spread the passion of soccer on, just in general. Especially for the ladies, who we are undisputedly role models for the rest of the country.

Help me GAF. I really, really, really, REALLY want this job.

The only bad part is "• Will have in-game duties during all Timbers and Thorns FC events." I wanna enjoy those and not work... BUT STILL AHHHHH

xbhaskarx

Two teams named City in MLS. How unique.

2 out of 21 (soon to be 24) is fine, it's not as bad as 25% of Premier League teams...

Manchester City
Cardiff City
Hull City
Norwich City
Stoke City

It's hardly surprising given that New York City is mostly owned by Manchester City, and Rawlins from OCSC owns part of Stoke City...
Hopefully that's the end of it in MLS and they cap it at two City teams like two "FC" teams, as they have some control over these things. In England they don't and Leicester City will most likely be moving up next season.

xbhaskarx

This is really good news, Forbes has 10 of 19 MLS teams making a profit, and two others really close:

Major League Soccer's Most Valuable Teams

Rank Value ($M) Revenue ($M) Operating Income ($M)1
Seattle Sounders 175 48.0 18.2
LA Galaxy 170 44.0 7.8
Portland Timbers 141 39.1 9.4
Houston Dynamo 125 32.6 8.2
Toronto FC 121 30.9 4.5
New York Red Bulls 114 28.1 -6.3
Sporting Kansas City 108 27.7 5.1
Chicago Fire 102 24.5 -3.2
FC Dallas 97 24.2 0.6
Montreal Impact 96 26.2 3.4
Philadelphia Union 90 21.4 1.1
New England Revolution 89 17.1 2.6
Vancouver Whitecaps 86 23.0 0.0
Real Salt Lake 85 23.0 -0.1
Colorado Rapids 76 18.1 -2.9
San Jose Earthquakes 75 15.0 -4.5
Columbus Crew 73 18.6 -1.6
DC United 71 17.7 -2.8
Chivas USA 64 15.0 -5.5

FORBES estimates; revenue and operating income is for 2012 season
1 Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization

xbhaskarx

The ten profitable teams had an operating profit of $60.9 million, the other nine teams lost a collective $26.9 million.

So, comparing MLS to the next league "up":

MLS
10 teams: $60.9 million
9 teams: -$26.9 million

NHL
5 teams: $212 million
25 teams: -$86 million

xbhaskarx

People are speculating that NY includes the contract of Rafa Marquez. They probably still lost money but not nearly as much if you take that out. In any case, given how much money Red Bull has, it's not a big deal.

xbhaskarx

Some interesting stats on goals added...

Here are the top 10 Expected Goals Added performers for MLS 2013.*
PLAYER EXPECTED NON-PK GOALS GOALS ADDED
Camilo 9.6 17 7.4
Marco Di Vaio 14.1 20 5.9
Mike Magee 11.7 17 5.3
Tim Cahill 6.0 11 5.0
Blas Pérez 61 11 4.9
Juan Agudelo 4.2 9 4.8
Robbie Keane 6.2 11 4.8
Diego Fagundez 8.4 13 4.6
Landon Donovan 5.6 10 4.4
Lloyd Sam 1.1 5 3.9

* Does not include penalty kicks

Here are this season's top performers in Expected Goals Added per shot.*
PLAYER AVERAGE EXPECTED GOALS ADDED
Juan Agudelo 16%
Landon Donovan 12.1%
Tim Cahill 9%
Blas Pérez 8.8%
Diego Fagundez 8.4%
Robbie Keane 8.1%
Kekuta Manneh 7.3%
Ryan Johnson 7.3%
Will Johnson 6.9%
Álvaro Saborío 6.7%

* For players attempting at least 30 shots

Wow, I had no idea the league was doing so well financially. I kinda had an idea in the back of my mind that we might be repeating the mistakes of the NASL, what with DPs and rapid expansion. Good to see that the league's reach hasn't exceeded its grasp yet.

Also $18 million profit? Start spending some more, FO! MOAR DEMPSEYS. ALL THE DEMPSEYS. KAKA. WHATEVER

Osorio

Guess I'll be going for St. John's!

And that NHL figure is exactly why single-entity makes sense. For only 1/6 of teams to be operating at a profit is crazy.

Osorio

Wow, I had no idea the league was doing so well financially. I kinda had an idea in the back of my mind that we might be repeating the mistakes of the NASL, what with DPs and rapid expansion. Good to see that the league's reach hasn't exceeded its grasp yet.

Also $18 million profit? Start spending some more, FO! MOAR DEMPSEYS. ALL THE DEMPSEYS. KAKA. WHATEVER

Cap is still super low. Even with DPs, most teams aren't reckless about it. $8million is the highest payroll and it's from a team who averages more people per game than most teams in Europe's top leagues.

xbhaskarx

I don't really follow college soccer but I'm glad to see California so well represented with five of the 16 second round teams. It gives me hope that one day the Earthquakes will have a player under age 24.

Guess I'll be going for St. John's!

And that NHL figure is exactly why single-entity makes sense. For only 1/6 of teams to be operating at a profit is crazy.

Exactly.

pxleyes

Banned

Kaka will be in Orlando purple in 2015.

Osorio

But the Leafs were founded in like what? 1900? They have a leg up on MLS teams founded in the last 15 years…

Exactly. Imagine if one of the original franchises had a 7 year spell like Toronto's. They'd most likely be defunct let alone profiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom