• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Dynamooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I haven't been paying attention what does this mean? Are the Dynamo going to the next round now that we won?

yes, Houston won 4-3 on aggregate and will play Sporting KC in the Eastern Conference Finals. I am a SKC supporter and Houston has knocked us out of the playoffs for the past two seasons. Here's hoping we win the third time.

Askani

Dynamooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I haven't been paying attention what does this mean? Are the Dynamo going to the next round now that we won?

Next round of playoff for you are against Sporting KC. Home and Home series. We had the better regular season record so we play in Houston this Saturday and play back in KC around the 23rd or something. Stupid two week break in the middle because of the FIFA International Break.

EDIT :::::

Beaten.

Nesotenso said:
Here's hoping we win the third time.

You ain't lying.

Dartastic

yes, Houston won 4-3 on aggregate and will play Sporting KC in the Eastern Conference Finals. I am a SKC supporter and Houston has knocked us out of the playoffs for the past two seasons. Here's hoping we win the third time.
Here's hoping you lose so I can go to an MLS final in Portland.

-.-

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I fucking hate Houston come playoff time. Watch them get to the MLS Cup... AGAIN. Just destroy them, Sporting. Rip the hope put of their hands.

I don't know who I blame more: Sekagya for what was a brain-numbing clearance/pass/who the fuck knows or Petrescu for just being a terrible Referee.

Oh well, for a team under a new coach and restructured FO, this was a good year. Let's just build on it.

Osorio

Segayka shouldn't be re-signed

We should have started Peguy in the middle, Cahill up top

Still, best season ever. Just could've been so much more

And I'm not watching sports til March.

Sincerely,

Knicks
Devils
Giants fan

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Please don't let another Houston - LA final happen.

fT7aaXu.gif

Segayka shouldn't be re-signed

We should have started Peguy in the middle, Cahill up top

Still, best season ever. Just could've been so much more

And I'm not watching sports til March.

Sincerely,

Knicks
Devils
Giants fan

Yeah, Peguy not starting confused me. I'm right there you on the Knicks/Giants frustration train, at least I have Arsenal during the long cold winter. Never have I wanted Winter to end so quickly.

Guys who the hell is David Bingham? and would he be a good second choice, maybe with potential to be the number one for a big huge european club like Copenhagen?

That's awesome. I heard the dynamo lost to NY 5-0 in the regular season. We're a playoff oriented team apparently. We barely snuck in but now they are doing damage as usual.

Okay, just got Cauldron tickets for myself and four co-workers for the second game of the Eastern Conference final in KC in 2 1/2 weeks. I'm so damned excited.

That's awesome. I heard the dynamo lost to NY 5-0 in the regular season. We're a playoff oriented team apparently. We barely snuck in but now they are doing damage as usual.

Yeah, Kinnear is a very good tournament coach. You're also playing against Sporting Kansas City in the next round, a team that you knocked out of the playoffs the last two years. You guys seem to have their number.

Here's to hoping RSL knocks out LA today so we don't have yet another LA-Houston final (that was the MLS Cup final the last two years).

Osorio

Another reason why I'm saying Houston deserved it last night: they looked sharper than us even though they were playing their 3rd game in 6 days.

xbhaskarx

Fuck, as a neutral I hate watching the Houston Dynamo and their crappy brand of soccer...

1. New England
2. New York
3. Kansas City
4. Houston

KC please knock out Houston for once.

Meier

I didn't see this posted yet.. looks like Orlando City should be announced on November 19th. :)
Local leaders are now quietly working with Orlando City Soccer Club officials on a Nov. 19 public event set to include MLS executives; Gov. Rick Scott; Mayors Buddy Dyer and Teresa Jacobs; and fans, according to records obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

"We have received confirmation that this date/time works for MLS senior officials," a document from team officials to local government officials said. "Assuming it still works for the Governor and both Mayors — we would like to officially confirm the time with all parties."

The correspondence is marked "confidential," and says that any information on the announcement would not be made public until late this week or early next week.

It also notes: "We do plan for the event to take place in downtown Orlando and be an 'open invite' celebration with our fans."

The governor's appearance at the announcement shows his support for the franchise as a job creator, said Kathy Russell, Orlando's director of intergovernmental operations.

"He realizes the economic development it will bring, particularly the Brazilian market," Russell said.

Orlando City Soccer officials would not comment on the event.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ds-orlando-franchise-20131106,0,4972653.story

There is a video that accompanies the story and suggests the state may chip in another $30m for the new stadium which may just mean nicer amenities but could also mean additional seating I'm guessing.

I will not be able to watch the La Galaxy game again. Depressing stuff. From the highlights of the first game, it looked like we had a fair amount of good chances, but we could not capitalize on them. Hopefully today they can get the ball in the back of the net. Hopefully we do enough to advance. Also, what a goal by Franklin.

Nesotenso

The fuck just happened. That was a great goal.

edit: maybe offside. dunno. no idea what ref was thinking. who was fouled there ?

Askani

On one hand, if Jewsbury doesn't stop and appeal that, Portland probably doesn't get that penalty. You do what you got to do.

On the other hand, it's shitty soccer. Finish your play and quit whining and expecting the refs to bail you out.

Like what Collin does when he's waving for offside and not finishing the run to try to block a guy. I hate that. Just finish the play and let the ref call what he's going to call.

Nesotenso

Zardes on the Galaxy is an amateur.

also gg seattle (is drew carey gonna fire sigi?)

His finishing and technique is really bad. He has all the physical tools to be good. But he is a sad testament to the fact that youth soccer development here has a long way to go.

xbhaskarx

the Sigi pink slip watch begins...

No away goal rule? Any reason why?

Because it's dumb. The away goal rule, not the way MLS does it. Like just about 3/4 of soccer related ideas, the consequences are pretty much the opposite of what is intended. But people's brainless kneejerk reaction is to hate on anything MLS does and automatically side with whatever the Europeans do...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/13/the-question-football-away-goals

To see how this can spoil football, you only have to look at last season's Champions League semi-final between Bayern Munich and Real Madrid. Bayern led 2-1 from the first leg. Real Madrid, seeking an early equaliser at the Bernabéu started furiously and struck twice in the first 14 minutes. That forced Bayern on to the attack and they made it 3-3 on aggregate with a 27th-minute penalty. It had been a thrillingly hectic opening half hour, and then the game died. Bayern looked to protect a level position on away soil, while Real were inhibited, knowing that if they conceded one they would have to score two to stay in the tie. Bayern behaved just as any away side would; Real were forced on the defensive by the away goals rule: far from encouraging the away team to play progressively, the away goals rule encouraged the home team to play more cagily.

It's a stance widely taken among coaches. "I believe the tactical weight of the away goal has become too important," Arsène Wenger said at a conference in 2008. "Teams get a 0-0 draw at home and they're happy. Instead of having a positive effect it has been pushed too far tactically in the modern game. It has the opposite effect than it was supposed to have at the start. It favours defending well when you play at home."

Bye, Sigi.

No away goal rule? Any reason why?

Edit: pk!!! Could be a dagger.

I'm not a huge fan of the away goal rule. Just seems rather arbitrary to me. On the other hand, so are penalty kicks. I saw someone suggest on reddit the other day that seeding should be the tiebreaker; the team with the better regular season record should advance (maybe not for the final, though). That would be my vote, particularly since the current playoff format doesn't reward regular season excellence particularly well.

On one hand, if Jewsbury doesn't stop and appeal that, Portland probably doesn't get that penalty. You do what you got to do.

On the other hand, it's shitty soccer. Finish your play and quit whining and expecting the refs to bail you out.

Like what Collin does when he's waving for offside and not finishing the run to try to block a guy. I hate that. Just finish the play and let the ref call what he's going to call.

Not sour grapes here; Portland was the better team and deserved to advance. Still, it's really frustrating to see a game turn on such a niggling call. The rules of soccer could stand to see an overhaul, in my opinion.

the Sigi pink slip watch begins...

Because it's dumb. The away goal rule, not the way MLS does it. Like just about 3/4 of soccer related ideas, the consequences are pretty much the opposite of what is intended. But people's brainless kneejerk reaction is to hate on anything MLS does and automatically side with whatever the Europeans do...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/mar/13/the-question-football-away-goals

No joke. I still miss NASL-style shootouts (not for the regular season, mind, just for elimination games. Though now that I think about it those are so exciting I could be talked into 6 points for a win, 3 for a shootout win, 2 for a shootout loss... not that that'll ever happen with the eurosnobs about.)

No joke. I still miss NASL-style shootouts (not for the regular season, mind, just for elimination games. Though now that I think about it those are so exciting I could be talked into 6 points for a win, 3 for a shootout win, 2 for a shootout loss... not that that'll ever happen with the eurosnobs about.)

Shootouts are the worst. They should be completely removed from all soccer, period.

xbhaskarx

Hey, Beckenbauer said in the NY Cosmos documentary that the rest of the soccer world should adopt NASL-style shootouts...

Still, it's really frustrating to see a game turn on such a niggling call. The rules of soccer could stand to see an overhaul, in my opinion.

Or, OR, we should keep it the same, and the Sounders defenders could stop wildly flailing their arms around in the penalty area when the opposing team is attacking, for the second playoffs in the a row, maybe learn a lesson about the rules and follow them?

Dartastic

Still, it's really frustrating to see a game turn on such a niggling call. The rules of soccer could stand to see an overhaul, in my opinion.
A niggling call? You've got to be kidding me. Jewsbury was attacking in the box, and could have created something that lead to a goal if it wasn't for the Sounders player USING HIS ARM to break up the play. That's like Soccer 101. You play the game with your legs, not your arms.

Don't pretend that the game completely turned on that goal either. It's not like all of a sudden the game spun wildly out of control. We completely outplayed the Sounders last night, and it certainly didn't happen because of that goal.

Anyway. A couple pics.
0IE5t2yl.jpg

tw0Bxl7l.jpg

Feels good man.

A niggling call? You've got to be kidding me. Jewsbury was attacking in the box, and could have created something that lead to a goal if it wasn't for the Sounders player USING HIS ARM to break up the play. That's like Soccer 101. You play the game with your legs, not your arms.

Yeah, a niggling call. A penalty kick is not proportional to the amount of disruption and advantage gained from handling the ball in the box. I would prefer to give referees more discretion so that a mistake that does not deny a goal scoring opportunity but nevertheless occurs in the box can be handled fairly.

Don't pretend that the game completely turned on that goal either. It's not like all of a sudden the game spun wildly out of control. We completely outplayed the Sounders last night, and it certainly didn't happen because of that goal.

Did you read the rest of my post?

Dartastic

Yeah, a niggling call. A penalty kick is not proportional to the amount of disruption and advantage gained from handling the ball in the box. I would prefer to give referees more discretion so that a mistake that does not deny a goal scoring opportunity but nevertheless occurs in the box can be handled fairly.

Did you read the rest of my post?
A penalty kick is absolutely representative of what should have happened. Jack was on the attack, and he had an opportunity to make something happen as we had two players in position in the center of the field, one of whom was Valeri. Meanwhile, a Sounders player literally reached his arm out away from his body (and it could easily be interpreted as on purpose) to hit the ball with his hand and disrupt the play while he was in the penalty box. This screws up Jack's attack, and potentially screwed up a very legitimate scoring opportunity for the Timbers. A penalty kick is absolutely proportional if the disruption screwed up a legitimate scoring opportunity. Don't reach your arms out away from your body like that if you don't wanna get called for it, especially in the penalty box. It's that simple. It's a fair rule. If the same thing happened in reverse I would have said that my idiot Timbers player should have kept his damn arms down because it was absolutely his fault.

I did read the rest of your post. But you can't claim that the game "turned" because of the PK. That just ignores how we were already in command of the game in the first 30 minutes. It didn't turn. It was headed that way the entire time.

Regardless. Bring on RSL. This'll be a doozy.
qiVksU.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom