• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Seattle was 25th in MLB attendance and KC was 26th, MLS should probably avoid those cities as well....

I know what you're saying but Miami's been notoriously bad despite an area dominated by Cubans and Venezuelans. When was the last time Seattle or KC have won a World Series? Miami's won 2 in the last twenty years.

xbhaskarx

More comments from Lebron...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n-it_n_4312932.html?utm_hp_ref=miami&ir=Miami

LeBron On MLS In Miami: 'We're Working On It'
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — LeBron James spoke out again Wednesday about his involvement with David Beckham and the retired soccer superstar's plan to bring an MLS team to Miami.

Specifically, James talked about finding a place for the team to call home.

"We're working on it," James said.

Beckham scouted some Miami locations last week. Beckham, who played for the Los Angeles Galaxy in MLS, has the right to pay $25 million to start an expansion franchise, and is seeking investors to assist with the overall startup costs such as stadium construction and player acquisitions.

"I wish it was easy," James said. "We're working on it. We'll see what happens."

MLS expansion is all the rage in Florida these days, with Beckham deciding last month that he wanted to bring a team to Miami and after Orlando was awarded a team that will begin play in 2015.

James and the Miami Heat were in Orlando on Wednesday to play the Magic.

"I think the passion is the No. 1 thing," James said, asked why he finds soccer appealing. "The passion that the fans have about the game of soccer, it's pretty intense. It's pretty awesome. I had an opportunity to go to a game in England and it was an unbelievable experience. It's a world-renown sport."

Slizz

I think you guys should give Miami a fair shake with this.

The community here has blown up since 2005. Soccer is very popular now, with tons of places to play 5-a-side including Brickell(near the Heat stadium) lots of leagues people are in.... Brazil vs. Honduras set the record at Sun-Life that was previously held by Barca vs. Guadalajara. I personally have been to the majority of all matches that have happened in South Florida since 2009, Gold Cup, USMNT friendly, USWNT friendly, Colombia Mexico, the International Champions Cup this year... All of which had good attendance.

The NASL team has alright attendance, I could have done better but I'm south of South Beach and that team plays in Ft. Lauderdale.

Beckham I think for the most part knows what he's doing, tons of footballers have condos in Miami already, good investors, big names...

Also there has been an influx of EPL fans, with tons of pubs doing watch parties for big games, same with USMNT games.

Osorio

I think you guys should give Miami a fair shake with this.

The community here has blown up since 2005. Soccer is very popular now, with tons of places to play 5-a-side including Brickell(near the Heat stadium) lots of leagues people are in.... Brazil vs. Honduras set the record at Sun-Life that was previously held by Barca vs. Guadalajara. I personally have been to the majority of all matches that have happened in South Florida since 2009, Gold Cup, USMNT friendly, USWNT friendly, Colombia Mexico, the International Champions Cup this year... All of which had good attendance.

The NASL team has alright attendance, I could have done better but I'm south of South Beach and that team plays in Ft. Lauderdale.

Beckham I think for the most part knows what he's doing, tons of footballers have condos in Miami already, good investors, big names...

Also there has been an influx of EPL fans, with tons of pubs doing watch parties for big games, same with USMNT games.

Yeah but will they support a MIAMI team? I don't think Miami is a bad soccer market but like New York it's a bunch of transplants and immigrants. There's not much civic pride. Unless I'm wrong but that's my experience from visiting my family in Hialeah fairly often.

Slizz

Yeah but will they support a MIAMI team? I don't think Miami is a bad soccer market but like New York it's a bunch of transplants and immigrants. There's not much civic pride. Unless I'm wrong but that's my experience from visiting my family in Hialeah fairly often.

If Beckham makes it flashy enough I say yes, Lebron being involved helps. Big names from Europe in their twilight a la Becks, Henry, Keane will also help I think.

First official season will be a big one for sure no matter what.

pxleyes

Banned

I'm usually insanely hard on Miami, but I feel like a soccer team down there would be more successful than pretty much every other pro team in the city combined. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see higher regular attendance than Heat games. Demographics tell a big story.

Osorio

I'm usually insanely hard on Miami, but I feel like a soccer team down there would be more successful than pretty much every other pro team in the city combined. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see higher regular attendance than Heat games. Demographics tell a big story.

If that were true no MLS team would have a problem selling out.

Osorio

I had no idea Portland had such a big latino population.

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Salt Lake, Portland, Kansas City, and Seattle have almost no latino population yet sell out. New York, DC, Chicago, Dallas, LA all massive Latino populations that don't sell out nearly as often as the aforementioned. Demographics don't tell the whole story when it comes to MLS. Lowest attended team is in fact the Mexican knock-off. While they all have their reasons for not selling out regularly, it shouldn't be a problem to based on their catchment areas of soccer-loving peoples no?

xbhaskarx

Rawlins can fuck off for being such a cunt in Austin.

He has no real ties to either city, right?
His goal was to take his team to MLS, he didn't think that would happen in Austin, it has happened in Orlando. He didn't have the necessary financial muscle, there's no way this rich Brazilian owner gets involved unless it's Orlando. I can't really blame him for preferring to own a MLS team over a USL Pro team.

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Salt Lake, Portland, Kansas City, and Seattle have almost no latino population yet sell out. New York, DC, Chicago, Dallas, LA all massive Latino populations that don't sell out nearly as often as the aforementioned. Demographics don't tell the whole story when it comes to MLS. Lowest attended team is in fact the Mexican knock-off. While they all have their reasons for not selling out regularly, it shouldn't be a problem to based on their catchment areas of soccer-loving peoples no?

Indeed. For whatever reason, MLS hasn't done particularly well capturing the Latino population. The demographic most important to expansion seems to be young white professionals - hence why the Cascadia expansions were so successful. Hipsters, not immigrants, have been the league's backbone. We should probably try to fix that, but that's the way it is right now.

Osorio

Indeed. For whatever reason, MLS hasn't done particularly well capturing the Latino population. The demographic most important to expansion seems to be young white professionals - hence why the Cascadia expansions were so successful. Hipsters, not immigrants, have been the league's backbone. We should probably try to fix that, but that's the way it is right now.

I live in a town that's 80% Latino. Nobody respects the Red Bulls because the quality of play is subpar to them. The range of channels you can get on DirecTV is huge so rather than watch the Red Bulls they're fine with seeing Atletico Nacional, River Plate, Penarol, Emelec, Barcelona (de Guayaquil).

Then the Central Americans who have foregone their shitty national leagues scoff at MLS in comparison to La Liga which is their adopted league of choice.

I'm not sure you can sell them on atmosphere because if you've ever been to games in Latin America like I have you'd see that we pale in comparison.

The good news is we have a massive upswing in quality of play from even 5 years ago. Just look at highlights in 2008 compared to now. Now think of where we can be in 5 years.

Osorio

Shit, I thought the soccer hotbeds of Harrison, Kearny, and the Ironbound section of Newark would catch onto the Red Bulls being that the stadium is in close proximity.

But now that I spend a good amount of time there all I hear about is Benfica, Porto, Corinthians, Flamengo, Atletico Mineiro.

I guess it makes sense. They play a completely different style from the European leagues and MLS/EPL go hand in hand.

pxleyes

Banned
Interesting takes. Clearly I have a lot to learn about the MLS demographics. Didn't realize Latinos had such a harsh view of the league, but it makes sense if they grew up watching high calibur leagues.

Revs purchased the contract of Jose Goncalves and exercised his 2014 contract option.

NgExjzN.png

Osorio

Interesting takes. Clearly I have a lot to learn about the MLS demographics. Didn't realize Latinos had such a harsh view of the league, but it makes sense if they grew up watching high calibur leagues.

Just for perspective my parents are just as big Red Bulls fans, they're the ones who got me into soccer.

My dad is from Cuba so he has no team to follow from back home.

My mom's team in El Salvador is Aguila, and their quality of play is worse than ours.

Thus, they're MLS fans.

My friend, whose parents are also from El Salvador aren't MLS fans. Why? They met at university in Chile and they
still watch Universidad de Chile every weekend.

Let's not forget the Mexicans who are inclined to hate on our league just because of the rivalry.

So for now I think MLS understands their main demographic is the young adult.

I AM SO DAMNED EXCITED FOR TOMORROW. I follow SKC closely, but I've never been to the park since they built it two years ago. That changes TOMORROW! Ticket in hand, and it's in the Cauldron too!

Dartastic

Come on Timbers, pull a France on Sunday.
I AM SO DAMNED EXCITED FOR TOMORROW. I follow SKC closely, but I've never been to the park since they built it two years ago. That changes TOMORROW! Ticket in hand, and it's in the Cauldron too!
I'd say good luck, but I want Portland and Houston to be the Cup so I can go see it in person. ;)

xbhaskarx

It may be another snoozefest but at least it's not the narrow as f*** Houston pitch so there may actually be more completed passes than throw ins...

Askani

My self imposed soccer facebook/twitter/mlssoccer.com ban is working.

Go SKC!! Now I got work trying to score a Championship ticket.

Watched the game and enjoyed it but between the pointless break for international play and the fact that I had just watched that awesome Merseyside derby from earlier in the day my MLS hype was/is very low considering there are only two games left in the season.

Osorio

Watched the game and enjoyed it but between the pointless break for international play and the fact that I had just watched that awesome Merseyside derby from earlier in the day my MLS hype was/is very low considering there are only two games left in the season.

True. They should have played last Saturday.

If they played the final at Arrowhead, would it sell out?

Askani

Capacity for Arrowhead is something like 75k, so there's no way we could sell it out fully. If you're talking the lower two levels only, I don't even know if we could manage that. The attendance last night was 21.5k including SRO tickets. I think you'd get at least 30k, but even 35k would have to be the maximum upper bound. That might be enough to make it look like a full stadium for TV. They'd have a riot on their hand with the fans though if they tried to move it.

Heineman once said they designed the stadium to be expandable and they can add something on the order of 8k seats. He said they didn't have a timeline to add it now. It would be nice to know what the thought process is though. Another season of sellouts? 3 more? 5?

Dartastic

Welp, looks like this is the last game of the year at Jeld-Wen. Very happy to be there today. #775 in line to get a wristband. Hype. Let's go Timbers!

I've said it before, but I'm saying it again. Winner of this series is going home with the Cup. This game is one to watch.

xbhaskarx

Boy that Zusi to Feilhaber to Dwyer goal was something special...
Dwyer-goal.gif

I wonder how far away guys like Rosell and Dwyer are from US citizenship?

xbhaskarx

I love when the entire home crowd, all the players, and even the coach all protest an absolutely unquestionably 100% correct call.

"bullshit bullshit... fuck you ref"... classy, I guess he should have ignored the rules of soccer and allowed the goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom