• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

holy shit john wall had 24 fts tonight dayuum. great stat line doe. he gonna get dat max, he's been playing a really good stretch of basketball(stats wise which is all that matters to GMs).

edit:Nola isn't winning this game.

Mothman91

john-wall-dougie-o.gif

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Seriously, I'm kinda surprised the Hornets are a low-tier team. They got a decent roster overall.

LeBron James Is A Better Defender Than The Computerized Version Of An Ideal NBA Defender.
here is plenty of great information to be gleaned from Zach Lowe's exclusive look at the Toronto Raptors' camera tracking system, known as SportVU, but buried within the piece is yet another anecdote that demonstrates the fact that LeBron James is not of this planet.

Lowe's piece features multiple video clips of the SportVU system in action, and they are as oddly hypnotic as they are informative. Here's one depicting a play from a recent Raptors-Knicks game.

The blue circles are Knicks players, the white circles are Raptors players, and the grayed-out circles are "ghost" Raptors. These ghosts, according to the SportVU's complex measurments, are playing perfect defense from ideal positions on the floor. In other words, the ghosts represent how the perfect model of a Raptors defense would be moving at each precise moment during the play.

Of course, each clip Lowe shares with us shows the ghosts far outpacing their real-life counterparts. This is no serious knock to Toronto's defenders: Real basketball players are imperfect humans who can't always make flawless, split-second decisions based on dozens of factors, and ghosts don't get tired. But it isn't the case when LeBron is involved:

Ultra-aggressive help defense is really hard work. Replay that clip and watch how far DeRozan's ghost has to move as the Knicks swing the ball. That's brutal, and it's not a coincidence that the only team that consistently mirrors the help defense of its ghosts is Miami, Rucker says. The Heat have three of the best wing defenders in the league in Shane Battier, LeBron James, and Dwyane Wade, and the latter two are among the NBA's most gifted pure athletes. James can mimic DeRozan's hyperactive ghost in a way no other player can, Rucker says. "LeBron basically messes up the system and the ghosts," Rucker says. "He does things that are just unsustainable for most players."

LeBron James is better at playing defense than the idealized version of an NBA defender, as conceptualized by an analytic system that factors in everything from the precise positioning of every player on the floor to the individual skill-sets of the players involved on a given play. LeBron James is not fair.

just give him the DPOTY too, NBA.

nah, hopefully best gasol gets it.

Seriously, I'm kinda surprised the Hornets are a low-tier team. They got a decent roster overall.
tankity tank tank.

Gordon's been a total bust so far (not to mention Austin Rivers) and the rest are either rough, young, or both. They have a pretty solid front court, though.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Gordon's been a total bust so far (not to mention Austin Rivers) and the rest are either rough, young, or both. They have a pretty solid front court, though.
That was who I had in mind when I posted. Davis, Lopez and Anderson are pretty good.

Damn, looks like the Hornets are gonna win this. lmaoa fck yo streak nugs
The Heat are next. It will either be the Bulls, Hornets, Spurs or Knicks. Take your pick.

thekad

Banned
How did Dy troll tonight's game from Wall?

47/8/7. That's like two games from Kembust. Kemba is half the player and half the man.

If the Clippers win in Dallas tomorrow night, they'll be right back in the 3rd seed... we'll need that considering we'll likely lose at least one of the back-to-back against the Spurs and Rockets.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
How did Dy troll tonight's game from Wall?

47/8/7. That's like two games from Kembust. Kemba is half the player and half the man.

Wall is about to get a max contract.

I don't even need to say anything.

Top Bottom