• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

Jag

Well after lurking in this thread for a very, very long time, I finally got into GAF, so I'll let my first post be here since it's where I spent most of my time lurking.

To the haters, I am another Heat fan but from the pre-bandwagon days and I'm a 954 local, next town over from Pimp.

Heat in 6.

KingKong

Miami in 5

Miami will play effective small ball, Wade and LeBron will have a much easier time inside, Bosh won't be bullied and will be more effective

Heat in 5.

The league will not allow Lebron to lose. Too much money involved in that.
Besides that, the Heat are too tough a matchup for every team as currently constructed; if their personnel plays to their averages, you can't possibly stop all of them.

I say this series depends on role players and if Leonard,Green etc play the way they have been compared to Battier,Allen have been playing I say Spurs in 6.

Vestal

I just can't see the spurs winning a close out game in Miami, not against this heat team. For the spurs to win they will need to backdoor sweep and I don't see that happening.

Vestal

Well after lurking in this thread for a very, very long time, I finally got into GAF, so I'll let my first post be here since it's where I spent most of my time lurking.

To the haters, I am another Heat fan but from the pre-bandwagon days and I'm a 954 local, next town over from Pimp.

Heat in 6.
welcome!!!

MWO 4 LIFE

Subitai

i dont understand the title :/
Not sarcastic? Well, on only 49% of America know who Tim Duncan is.

Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker have won 3 NBA titles together; many seem to forget that the rest of the team is new and relatively young.

Thus, rooting for Spurs I still think Miami has more title series experience and so their role players will put them over the top more than Pop's coaching. I'm afraid Kawhi, Danny, Gary, Red Rocket, and Tiago will tighten up like last year against OKC when Miami turns up the D makes passing/shooting windows smaller over key stretches in the 4th of a couple games. That's where I think Phil Jackson's coaching is better than Pop's. That "zen" stuff gave role players on his teams' confidence in close game situations that they normally wouldn't have.

Miami in 6 :(

Pimpwerx

I wonder if so many people are picking Miami because of the reigning champ factor, or if it's because they actually think we're good this year. Towards the end of the ECF, I thought the consensus was that the Spurs were gonna be licking their chops for Miami, but now I see most people picking Miami. It's all good.

I think we're a bad matchup for SAS. I thought we were for Indiana too, but poor shooting tilted that mismatch the other way. There shouldn't be any such concern with SAS, because there's no mismatch for our regular rotation. I don't know how much Pop will want to play Tiago and Duncan out there together when Lebron or Battier are at the 4. Plus, Bosh has regularly outplayed TD h2h in Miami. So I'm not sure their frontcourt is a concern.

In the backcourt, a lot hinges on TP's penetration. If Cole and Rio can combine to match Parker's production, then is should be fine. Also, Rio needs to attack the rim, because TP can't guard him any better than he can guard TP. He'll probably be going under every screen he sees, so hopefully Parker doesn't get hot shooting. Wade and Manu are shells of themselves, so probably a wash. There's a chance Wade can forge through the pain like in Game7, in which case he's gonna destroy Manu in this matchup.

Bench production will be interesting. Shane and Kawhi will both have to hit those open looks for their teams. I'm interested to see if Pop really tries putting fatboy Diaw on Lebron at any point, or how he'll try hiding Bonner's incredible suck on defense. It might just be perception, but I believe Miami has routinely abused Bonner every second he is on the floor. The only other guy I can think of that the guys go after like that are Stiemsma and Hollins when they were with the Celtics. That red head of Bonner's is like a big ole bullseye.

Oh yeah. Birdman's gonna fly an eagle on these clowns. We ready! PEACE.

For anyone who has watched the Spurs, how good are they at passing the ball? From what I remember last year, they were fucking awesome at it, but I haven't watched them at all this year.

Cat

For anyone who has watched the Spurs, how good are they at passing the ball? From what I remember last year, they were fucking awesome at it, but I haven't watched them at all this year.

If they keep up with what I've seen of them whenever I watched, really good most of the time.

manupass2.gif

I wonder if so many people are picking Miami because of the reigning champ factor, or if it's because they actually think we're good this year.

Why would anyone on Earth think a team with the league's best player would be anything less than "good" this year? Is this feigning humility or something? Even ignoring the fact that they are defending champs, they are the team with the best record this season, the longest win streak this season and the best players - they didn't even have any potential matchup problems that could've arguably hampered them through any of the playoff rounds so far (or potentially against any of the teams they'd have played). Are you wary of the Spurs out of principle (read: because it mathematically is possible to lose, you have to be concerned) or because you really think they can beat the Heat 4 times out of 7 as currently constructed? Do you even think they can legitimately do it 3 times out of 7?

If the Heat as currently constructed lose more than 1 game, it'd be a surprise if we're being fair/intellectually honest about it. Granted, the basketball is played on the floor and not theoretically, but no matter how great the Spurs are, they don't run Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Allen, and their comparable players aren't as great as they are no matter what argument you make.

Now, if one of those key players gets a real injury that actively prevents them from playing multiple games, that's different - now, the Spurs have a legitimate chance.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Heat in 6.

Sure you are fam.....sure you are.....Welcome nonetheless though

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I got to see game 1. I have no idea where/who the mismatches are in this series... the reason of course being Pop early on decided to chess early on for this series....

Cipherr

Shitty ass OP man
LBaMRJA.gif

No but seriously.... they fired George Karl? After they year they had? I understand the disappointment with the post season but come the fuck on. They were building something man. This kind of shit is why the same fucking teams win titles over decades. Everytime an owner gets within reach of starting something good, they freak out and tear it down.

Westlo

Nope. The Heat have this on lock. The Heat will flock Parker like seaguls flock fishing boats in the pacific. Duncan isn't the Duncan of old and at this poit Manu is barely above TMac.

I remember when T-Mac killed us in that one game in Atlanta last season, will Pop unleash him in the finals? :(

Smokey

The nba will not allow the heat to lose the chip. Thinking otherwise is a waste of time. Heat champs we all gotta dealwitit

Keep trying to comfort yourselves if it makes you feel better heat age. [Vire where you at] Spurs in 6. chalmers/cole wont contain parker. timmy and splitter will hurt them in the inside and the spur role players will hit 3's, unlike pacers.

Spurs in 6

Vestal

So Karl finally gets CoY and doesn't get his contract renewed?!?!

WB to irrelevance Denver.. WTF

Keep trying to comfort yourselves if it makes you feel better heat age. [Vire where you at] Spurs in 6. chalmers/cole wont contain parker. timmy and splitter will hurt them in the inside and the spur role players will hit 3's, unlike pacers.

Spurs in 6

You can't really use the same shtick in two straight rounds

but if being the anti-Heat parrot makes you feel better, go for it

Maybe Denver thinks they're going to hire an "elite" level coach...but none of them are available. Who would be a better coach than Karl? The DEN front office lost its coach and it's young GM...probably next year, you take it easy while Gallo heals up and then it's that 2014-2015 season that you go hard.

PBY

Banned
i really have no idea what will happen

no prediction from me

go heat
Same.

Weird series considering that we basically have no regular season sample size to draw on.

They only played a few times and like half of those games have been weird/players missing/etc

Not that the reg season means much, but just that we have no anchor.

Burn the boats.

Nobility

Banned
George Karl is gone?

Didn't see that coming.

I guess it's true to the saying that winning COY will detrimentally affect your job status.

Top Bottom