• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Finals |OT| The "Big 3" looks to hang another banner... against the Heat

effzee

Yo Dy, why is your son's post count on GAF higher than number of Father's Days spent with you? #askdy

Can someone fill me in on this back story? I know it was mentioned in the askdraya twitter thread but I still didn't get it. And is DY banned? He had a son? Or thinks has a son who he doesn't support?

Anyway since everyone is making predictions I'll offer my thoughts:

I think the Spurs, physically, are a better match up for the Heat than the Pacers. Obviously the Spurs are better overall (balanced) and have the best coach. But I think Bosh rebounds in this series simply because he won't be bounced around like a rag doll. He might be able to work down low and rebound with some sort of regularity. To me if the Heat put in the effort, like Wade, Bosh, Cole, Allen, Chalmers did in game 7, then they can't lose.

Let me make it even clearer by saying I don't necessarily mean points. If Bosh and Wade attack and are aggressive. If Ray Allen and Battier find their shooting touch. And if Chalmers and Cole can hit timely jumpers or drive for layups when they are left all alone. Mainly since they don't have the size to rebound they need the collective effort. If between Bosh, Wade, and Lebron they can get to 25-30 rebounds you will know they are all putting in the work.

Still I don't see it happening. They pulled it out in game 7 but didn't show that effort at all in the other 6 games. Maybe it was simply Indian's size and physicality. I'll pick the Spurs in 7.

Ray Allen believes his third NBA Finals appearance brings vindication, especially considering he left the Boston Celtics last season for the Miami Heat.

"You try to look at the situation a little bit closer," Allen said. "You step out on the limb every summer and a guy says, ‘am I going to go to this team or that team?’ For me, I guess there is a little bit of vindication because being here is where my whole hope was of doing last summer.”

I wouldn't have a dog in the race if Ray Allen wasn't on the Heat, but I almost don't want them to win based solely on his bullshit.

Pimpwerx

I wouldn't have a dog in the race if Ray Allen wasn't on the Heat, but I almost don't want them to win based solely on his bullshit.

Huh. Dude says he wants to play for championships. He leaves a non-contender that kept dangling him as tradebait and goes to a team that is now playing for the championship. I'm sure you don't like it, but there's hardly any bullshit involved. Seems like he just made a smart decision. PEACE.

lulz

There isn't a single member of the Celtics big four that hasn't been involved in trade rumors multiple times. Ray talking about he wasn't taken care of...they offered the dude more money and there were rumors of a no trade clause.

The key thing is that Ray chipped with those guys, they were his family. On paper, adding Sullinger to go with their healthy core was definitely a contending team. It wasn't a lock to chip by any means, but neither are the Heat.

And what he was able to accomplish with those guys--2 finals appearances including a championship--the core of the team still intact, get offered more money..

Then go straight to the rival team?

GAF can say what it wants about ring chasing and him being wronged or whatever, but it'll be bullshit in my mind forever and I've said my peace on it.

Ray was smart to leave though, i would have left too, Celtics are over

Big 5 era starts next season

Rondo, Sully, Finals Jet, above average Bradley , Jeff Green with dat Bass as 6th wild card
KG and Pierce are gone :(

Some people don't like ring chasers, it's nothing new. Ray failing in his ring chase quest on a super stacked collusion team would be delightful.

Ray was smart to leave though, i would have left too, Celtics are over

There's a good chance Ray won't even have a team to call home after retirement. The Sonics literally don't exist anymore and Boston more than probably any town in the planet doesn't put up with the shit he pulled. He might have traded a jersey being retired with GOAT players and a fanbase to call home post retirement for negative money and zero rings.

Guess we'll see how it ends up for him though.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Huh. Dude says he wants to play for championships. He leaves a non-contender that kept dangling him as tradebait and goes to a team that is now playing for the championship. I'm sure you don't like it, but there's hardly any bullshit involved. Seems like he just made a smart decision. PEACE.

The Celtics treated him like shit while Miami had been courting him for years...

The thing with Alllen is that he already had one ring. I can understand an older veteran who is ring-less being desperate to win one before his career is over with. Allen's joining of the Heat came off to me as Allen being the guy who wants to leave one party for the more hip party(see Swingers).

If anyone is treated poorly for Boston, it's Rondo. He's the only future they have and they always seem to want to trade him.

Pretty much this. I've always wondered why the hell they keep dangling him--and he's on a good contract.

Funny thing about Ray is...he got salty about possibly being traded to the Grizz. The fucking Grizz. He would have been amazing with that team.

Faze is literally still bitching and whining because ray decided to leave a team that literally told him to pack his bags for Memphis. For fucking OJ mayo for fucks sake. Get the fuck over it. Ray chipped with them sure but he tried his best to remain cordial with them and they turned their nose up. Fuck em. I mean what the fuck does he really owe Boston? No please I'll wait...

You can put your hands in your ears and say your mind is made up or whatever but I'm keep laughing at your naivety.

Faze is literally still bitching and whining because ray decided to leave a team that literally told him to pack his bags for Memphis. For fucking OJ mayo for fucks sake. Get the fuck over it. Ray chipped with them sure but he tried his best to remain cordial with them and they turned their nose up. Fuck em. I mean what the fuck does he really owe Boston? No please I'll wait...

You can put your hands in your ears and say your mind is made up or whatever but I'm keep laughing at your naivety.

do your hands shake when you type?

He chips in Miami we'll put his jersey up next to Jordan.

Ya know, there really is a good chance he might.

Ray redeemed. No sarcasm.

effzee

lulz

There isn't a single member of the Celtics big four that hasn't been involved in trade rumors multiple times. Ray talking about he wasn't taken care of...they offered the dude more money and there were rumors of a no trade clause.

The key thing is that Ray chipped with those guys, they were his family. On paper, adding Sullinger to go with their healthy core was definitely a contending team. It wasn't a lock to chip by any means, but neither are the Heat.

And what he was able to accomplish with those guys--2 finals appearances including a championship--the core of the team still intact, get offered more money..

Then go straight to the rival team?

GAF can say what it wants about ring chasing and him being wronged or whatever, but it'll be bullshit in my mind forever and I've said my peace on it.

I didn't realize it was still 1980.

FA happens.

EDIT: I wonder if George Carl is Sixers #1 target now.

Wouldn't be surprised if Clippers sign him today.

Yes, i can see it already.

Griffin is Kemp
CPbitch is Payton
Billups is Nate
Deandre is the overpaid dumb center in the middle

None of the above are 100% truth, but they are close.

As for Denver, time to use the new word coming from our friend CBOAT "leadershitfailure"

Spurs in 6.

FA happens.

EDIT: I wonder if George Carl is Sixers #1 target now.

Doug Collins and George are pretty good friends, I think.

I would guess that Doug would tell George to stay away unless he wants a shorter life, based on how I've seen Doug's face change over the years.

lol damn. talk about an anti-heat OP.

I'm hoping Spurs in 6. but with my record in who i want to win in the history of NBA postseason it'll probably be Heat in 5.

Tom Penny

He chips in Miami we'll put his jersey up next to Jordan.

Why not Dan Marino's? The main problem I had with Ray is he came back with a BS counter offer to the Celtics at an amount he knew they could not give him just to be a jerk.

It's going to be great one day when the Raptors are the heavyweight and I'll get to be on the other side to say fuck Toronto.

Except everybody knows that will never happen.

we'll still have better attendance at ACC than yall will in MIA when Lebron leaves next summer and the shitty bandwagon fans of that city go back to not giving a fuck about the Heat.

FA happens.

you do know we're fans right

not casual observers paid to perform unbiased analysis, but fans who believe in dumb things like loyalty, fuck your team because..I don't know, tom brady reasons, etc?

you're supposed to hate players and teams for irrational reasons, because the entire idea of sports and having emotional investment is irrational to begin with.

Have a feeling that Manu has an awesome series in him.

That feeling may be irrational, delusional, and not based on reality and instead based on the fact that Manu is one of my favorite players and this might be his last Finals, but fuck it.

Spurs in 6.

Ride or die.

Put a fucking Spurs avatar on if you feel the vibe.

Lets make this thread feel like the fucking Finals.

I wanna see nothing but Spurs swag drowning out the Heat goliath.

Good v Evil baby. Can't script it better than this.

:eek:

So hawt

we'll still have better attendance at ACC than yall will in MIA when Lebron leaves next summer and the shitty bandwagon fans of that city go back to not giving a fuck about the Heat.

Just because nobody ever stays in Toronto doesn't mean you can assume LeBron's leaving.

And good to see you're all about fans supporting a shitty team! What an honorable thing to do.

not casual observers paid to perform unbiased analysis, but fans who believe in dumb things like loyalty, fuck your team because..I don't know, tom brady reasons, etc?

you're supposed to hate players and teams for irrational reasons, because the entire idea of sports and having emotional investment is irrational to begin with.

People tend to forget the inherit irrationality of sports fandom.

effzee

Yes as fans you can think that but I fail to see what Ray actually did was so disloyal. He came to the Celtics to win a ring, to form their own big 3 superstar team, and they accomplished what they could.

Had he left to go to a shitty team like the Knicks or something just for money then I would see your logic.

Top Bottom