• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

wtfbench8lk4j.gif

Came here for this gif, did not leave disappointed.

What makes this performance even greater: they did it while knocking down FOURTEEN threes. Christ.

c'mon, the game was ugly but don't you dare trash on my favorite coach of all time, George Karl. Denver just played no defense at all and put themselves in a bit of a hole. Oakland games are dangerous.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Remember when there was no way the Lakers would lose the '08 finals because there was no way Phil could get out smarted by Doc LOL Rivers?

Well this off season Mike Brown and the Lakers were going take Miami in 6

That is what I am saying. It happens and it will happen again
Karl is one of the better coaches in NBA history imo so stating that he might get out coached seems silly

It could happen but don't think Mark Jackson will do It

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Well this off season Mike Brown and the Lakers were going take Miami in 6

Karl is one of the better coaches in NBA history imo so stating that he might get out coached seems silly

It could happen but don't think Mark Jackson will do It

I don't know man.... Obviously win/loss is important and lord knows there are a lot worse coaches out there but I've never thought Karl was a great coach. Hell I think Adelman is a better coach but has always had a shitty/injured team.

Karl is a damn good coach but I could see him being out coached.

Blackace

I don't know man.... Obviously win/loss is important and lord knows there are a lot worse coaches out there but I've never thought Karl was a great coach. Hell I think Adelman is a better coach but has always had a shitty/injured team.

Karl is a damn good coach but I could see him being out coached.

Karl has good teams because he takes troubled Players like AI and Ai

Adelman is a good coach but Karl works magic with mismatched rosters

George Karl is the Andy Reid of the NBA.

Not really

linsivvi

It's so much easier to make mistakes while coaching the Nuggets then most top heavy teams.

With a team like the Lakers, with the top heavy roster, you have to be an idiot to not know which players to start and play (cough Pringles cough).

With the Nuggets there are just so many combinations of players you can put on court at any point of the game, made even harder when you're playing an offensive minded team like the Warriors and running a big deficit.

It's not so much Karl got coached but more like he just couldn't react correctly in real time on how to counter the hot shooting of the Warriors. We'll see what he comes up with the rest of the series.

Karl has good teams because he takes troubled Players like AI and Ai

Adelman is a good coach but Karl works magic with mismatched rosters

Not really

Routinely under-performs, made one Finals (SB) but stunk, makes very questionable calls in big moments, and routinely panics.

He really is the Andy Reid of the NBA.

It's funny, tonight Karl made the right call of finally switching Iggy onto Steph but then messed it up by asking for a hard double. if you're going to double Steph, why use Iggy? Takes away his ability to help on defense in rotations after the pass out of the double. Should have just had Iggy on him 1 on 1. Killed all their momentum at the time.

Played Faried way too long when he was mostly shit and everyone could see it; didn't play McGee at all despite playing well (like usual). Only has Andre Miller work from the post even though Warriors are running 3 guards and a small SF.

It's so much easier to make mistakes while coaching the Nuggets then most top heavy teams.

With a team like the Lakers, with the top heavy roster, you have to be an idiot to not know which players to start and play (cough Pringles cough).

With the Nuggets there are just so many combinations of players you can put on court at any point of the game, made even harder when you're playing an offensive minded team like the Warriors and running a big deficit.

It's not so much Karl got coached but more like he just couldn't react correctly in real time on how to counter the hot shooting of the Warriors. We'll see what he comes up with the rest of the series.

you mean out coached?

Blackace

Routinely under-performs, made one Finals (SB) but stunk, makes very questionable calls in big moments, and routinely panics.

He really is the Andy Reid of the NBA.

Routinely over performs during the regular season, expect the Sonics who were stacked

Blackace

I'd say over performs in the regular, but is underwhelming in the post season.
That's a fair enough assessment. I would say they get exposed for the over performers they were in the playoffs

I will say his bench becomes too short usually during the playoffs

But saying Karl isn't one of better coaches the NBA has had is crazy to me

giri

That's a fair enough assessment. I would say they get exposed for the over performers they were in the playoffs

I will say his bench becomes too short usually during the playoffs

But saying Karl isn't one of better coaches the NBA has had is crazy to me

He's been a good coach, and is good at developing players, but sometimes i think he's stuck in a "style". Though, most coaches are.

That might be a little unfair though, because the Nuggs can't run their preferred lineups due to injury right now. And the style suits the current personnel.

I'm relatively ignorant of the style of his sonics teams though.

Blackace

He's been a good coach, and is good at developing players, but sometimes i think he's stuck in a "style". Though, most coaches are.

That might be a little unfair though, because the Nuggs can't run their preferred lineups due to injury right now. And the style suits the current personnel.

I'm relatively ignorant of the style of his sonics teams though.

Well he has always had great regular season success, and has turned "selfish" players into productive ones.. His Sonic teams were made on inside-out offense and rough D.. but again they were stacked.. GP or Kemp in the post started most the O and everyone else could shoot..

He made something out of the Bucks but seemed to forget about D..

And his Nuggest have been hurt, lost players to the lockout and everything.. but they find great players in the draft and he uses them well..

until the playoffs.. then he goes to the short bench..

Karl's been a playoff choker throughout his career. Dude was ridiculous in the 90s, but now he's the nice guy.

Man, Boston just looks old. Garnett and Pierce can barely stand up in the 4th quarters.

Surge

I'm glad I took Curry last night in the 1 and done game that ESPN is running. People are playing it stupid and using LBJ and Durant right out of the gate.

linsivvi

they run clever off ball plays for Curry and Thompson.

Both Curry and Thompson shot better from the field last season, they just take a lot more shots this season.

In fact, Curry's shooting has always been stellar, even during his rookie season.

I sure as hell am not going to credit Mark Jackson for Curry's shooting performance. It's like giving Spo credit for LeBron's dominance.

Godslay

Banned
Glad one game against a white hot shooting team exposed not only the Nugs but the entirety of George Karl's career. It wasn't his best game, but even the best coaches have bad games or even series. Whatever at least three games left to make it right.

Top Bottom